• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Is Panel de Pon an example of a good competitive puzzle game or a bad one?
What about the gameplay would you say makes it good/bad? I'm really interested to hear some thoughts on this.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm biased, but I'd say good. It's very reliant on skill, reflexes, and timing, and it's never really skewed towards one player or the other. At least in the first two games, if you lose to someone, you know it's your fault and not the game's. I'd say Planet Puzzle League skews it more towards bad (but everything about Planet skews more towards bad) because of the items/power-ups you can use in Vs. Mode, which can easily put one player at a disadvantage for one reason or another.

Of course I'm not a very competitive player in anything, so maybe I'm not in a position to talk about this.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'm biased, but I'd say good. It's very reliant on skill, reflexes, and timing, and it's never really skewed towards one player or the other. At least in the first two games, if you lose to someone, you know it's your fault and not the game's. I'd say Planet Puzzle League skews it more towards bad (but everything about Planet skews more towards bad) because of the items/power-ups you can use in Vs. Mode, which can easily put one player at a disadvantage for one reason or another.

Of course I'm not a very competitive player in anything, so maybe I'm not in a position to talk about this.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I think the item system was a bad addition, or at least it could have been implemented in a way that rewarded skilled players. Personally, I would have taken the characters and given them different powers that are fueled by chains.

If we get a new and improved Panel de Pon on the Switch that gets a decently-sized competitive scene and introduces the original characters, that would be pretty neat.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
While I think that would be a good way to keep the attempt at increased gameplay depth that Planet Puzzle League attempted with the item system -- see, IS? You can make the characters work to your benefit -- I do think some care would have to be taken to avoid the pitfalls a lot of competitive games fall into where one character is just so much better than all of the others that everyone you're liable to meet online picks them, see Ken Fighter IV and cruiser/heavyweight characters in Mario Kart 8. I think Puyo Puyo tried something like that, and if there's one series Panepon could stand to learn a few lessons from (especially at the moment)...

I'd love an NS Panepon, but I think unless Lip is a playable character in this generation's inevitable Super Smash Bros., and really the odds of that are pretty small considering Sm4sh's near-exclusive focus on recent games, all we're liable to get is yet another Virtual Console rerelease (that Japan won't share).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I can say Super Puzzle Sisters certainly takes a while getting used to. It's very different from a usual match 3 puzzle game, most importantly in that blocks don't beak by themselves, and you have to press a button to break them. This can be good as it can help you create some impressive combos, but it will throw you off badly when you're starting out.

The game's tutorial is... okay. It's a big info dump, and the only real flaw I could find in it. Music, art, animation, rest are pretty good.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Super Puzzle Sisters definitely isn't as close to Panel de Pon as I may have initially thought. It's closer to Magical Drop or Money Puzzle Exchanger, two games I didn't know about at the time. If they included more options, like setting the speed or limiting how many colors appear, I'd like it much more.

DuWryght

Smash Rookie
Hello. I was curious if people here are playing online or interested in some online matches. I've been in love with the Panel de Pon style puzzlers since I was kid. Tetris attack on gameboy was my first one. I bought Puzzle league for n64 and later got Panel de Pon on the Nintendo Puzzle Collection (NPC) and love that version the most. I emulate tetris attack and NPC.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wait, seriously? You like the gameplay of Panel de Pon/Puzzle League unconditionally? The Nintendo Puzzle Collection version is your favorite? You weren't turned off by the fairy characters? Wow! According to Nintendo, you don't exist!

I haven't had time to play a lot of video games lately, but it's always nice to meet another fan.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh geez, today was Panel de Pon's 21st anniversary and I didn't make anything for it. >< I feel so ashamed.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
As soon as I heard this happened the first thing I did was jump here like "oh my..."

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I kind of brushed the whole Puzzle League-thing as sorta lame reminder that the series is kind of "dead" today, with now being thrown in as a minigame to other more popular Nintendo-franchises.

But I'll be honest, apparently we getting a hairstyle/wig + clothing resembling Lip's to the game is very sweet. And well, the true acknowledgement from the Treehouse if going by how they didn't wash Lip's existence away this time.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I screamed in joy at the new lip outfit.
Guys, they don't completely hate her. Celebrate the small victories! ;u;

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
At first I was like "man way to acknowledge you don't care about the fairy characters anymore nintendo" but then I saw the Lip outfit and I was like "*OVERJOYED NOISES*"

This is pretty huge! After eight straight years of absolutely nothing new from this series, it's nice to finally get some acknowledgement.

(I wonder if this means anything for Lip in SSB5, whenever that rolls around...)

smashkirby

Smash Hero

On this day, we are blessed.
Holy puzzle panels, Batman! To think, Nintendo HASN'T totally forgotten her! After the trash that was Planet Puzzle League, and Lip's absence for the next 11 years after that game, this is sure as heck better than nothing at all!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
That's pretty neat.

EDIT: Is the Lip stuff available for America, or did they remove it?

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
At first I was like "man way to acknowledge you don't care about the fairy characters anymore nintendo" but then I saw the Lip outfit and I was like "*OVERJOYED NOISES*"

This is pretty huge! After eight straight years of absolutely nothing new from this series, it's nice to finally get some acknowledgement.

(I wonder if this means anything for Lip in SSB5, whenever that rolls around...)
Probably not... hopefully so... But it's a start!! <3

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's pretty neat.

EDIT: Is the Lip stuff available for America, or did they remove it?
It should be available outside of Japan since it was shown in an international Direct....

I thought at first that this was going to be yet another Yoshi/Pokemon Puzzle League type of deal but boy am I glad that Lip's existence was at least acknowledged here in some form!

I don't know if it means much in terms of her chances in the next Smash but at least the series received a bit of relevancy and hopefully this is a start of seeing the fairies potentially return and making their first official appearance outside of Japan soon....

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As soon as I saw this I thought you you guys.

I'm so happy they not only gave us a new Puzzle League (even if it is a minigame.... PLEASE TELL ME THIS WILL LET US GET A FULL GAME!!!), but they also gave us a full Lip outfit! That's AMAZING!

Ok, I mean, yeah, I wish we got better. But seriously. With nothing Puzzle League related in 8 years, anything is nice. And, well, maybe this could lead us into having the series continue again with actual full games.

It almost wants me to play New Leaf now. Funny that this is the one thing that gets me interested in Animal Crossing. I wish this was a standalone thing.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
Nice, it reminds me Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX who had a Puyo Puyo minigame and an Arle outfit. Same thing looks like to gonna happen with PDP now.

Could it be a possible sign of progressive return of the franchise ? (With possibly a new Puzzle/RPG Game on the 3DS like the next Puyo Puyo announced ?)

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Though I'd be ecstatic about it, I have my doubts about them actually bringing the franchise back in its original form. Pokemon reskins were already more profitable back then and they'd only be just as profitable now, especially considering how Pokemon Go has attracted millions of fans. On the other hand, Animal Crossing could be the new mainstay for the franchise, considering they can easily reuse the assets they've made for the minigame.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't have much hope for a Panel de Pon game with fairies. The main hope I have is we get a proper new full Panel de Pon game.

I think the only way we get the fairies is if its a huge Nintendo crossover thing. Lip would be the mascot, but they'd openly show off "Hey, there's Pikachu, Yoshi, Kirby, and Isabelle!"

That's sadly the only way I see us getting the fairies back. But still, the fact that they actually include a Lip costume is nice at least. Honestly that's really damn cool.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I'm alive.

Nice to know they still remember Lip and the original Panel de Pon, like for real. The outfit is pretty cute. I really hope they acknowledge Panel de Pon elsewhere in the future instead of just pretending Lip and her friends never existed.

Maybe Lip can have a bigger role in the next smash. She definitely deserves to be an assist trophy, or even just a regular trophy at the bare minimum.

Also, happy late anniversary to you all!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
At least an assist trophy, yes. Pls samurai. ;~;

Honestly, no matter what you may think of this new development (I was all set to get really mad at first), you have to admit that Lip getting an outfit based on her in a series that mainly focuses its cameos on larger Nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda, or Metroid is a pretty major, even shocking development. And it wasn't replaced with a Pikachu hat in the international versions, even! I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but here's hoping this is the start of something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Honestly, no matter what you may think of this new development (I was all set to get really mad at first), you have to admit that Lip getting an outfit based on her in a series that mainly focuses its cameos on larger Nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda, or Metroid is a pretty major, even shocking development. And it wasn't replaced with a Pikachu hat in the international versions, even! I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but here's hoping this is the start of something.
I'd never get mad at Panel de Pon cameos considering its rare to get anything, especially when its Lip of all characters. Not only that, but she's available outside of Japan.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am surprised Puzzle League is in Animal Crossing.

I hope Nintendo does more with Puzzle League in the future... Lip for Super Mario Maker, Lip outfit and hairstyle for Style Savvy, Puzzle League badges for Nintendo Badge Arcade, localize Panel de Pon for Virtual Console (if Nintendo cannot use Tetris Attack because of the copyrighted "Tetris")...

My dream is for SSB5 to have Lip as playable character (or at the very least, Assist Trophy) and Puzzle League stage. I actually want Nintendo puzzle games as stages. Some of my other most-wanted stages for SSB5 are Dr. Mario stage, Yoshi's Cookie stage, and especially Wario's Woods stage (this one can be both Wario's and Toad's stage).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't have much hope for a Panel de Pon game with fairies. The main hope I have is we get a proper new full Panel de Pon game.

I think the only way we get the fairies is if its a huge Nintendo crossover thing. Lip would be the mascot, but they'd openly show off "Hey, there's Pikachu, Yoshi, Kirby, and Isabelle!"

That's sadly the only way I see us getting the fairies back. But still, the fact that they actually include a Lip costume is nice at least. Honestly that's really damn cool.
I can't help but imagine that a Panel de Pon/Puzzle League game with Lip and the fairies released across the world with NO re-skins whatsoever (A miracle in and of itself, no less), probably would have the likes of Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, and even Isabelle as unlockable guest characters to help market the game. Not even going to lie, I'd actually accept that, as long as Lip and her fairy friends are the main focus.

I'm alive.

Nice to know they still remember Lip and the original Panel de Pon, like for real. The outfit is pretty cute. I really hope they acknowledge Panel de Pon elsewhere in the future instead of just pretending Lip and her friends never existed.

Maybe Lip can have a bigger role in the next smash. She definitely deserves to be an assist trophy, or even just a regular trophy at the bare minimum.

Also, happy late anniversary to you all!

I said the exact same thing, pre-Smash 4's release. Honestly, I'll even take Lip as an Assist Trophy at this point. ANYTHING to keep her relevant instead of JUST having playable characters in Smash wield HER signature weapon in battle. I mean, really. If Smash 4 can add Takamaru and PRINCE SABLE as Assist Trophies, then I KNOW Sakurai doesn't have much of an excuse for Lip to not have SOME physical presence in Smash.

I am surprised Puzzle League is in Animal Crossing.

I hope Nintendo does more with Puzzle League in the future... Lip for Super Mario Maker, Lip outfit and hairstyle for Style Savvy, Puzzle League badges for Nintendo Badge Arcade, localize Panel de Pon for Virtual Console (if Nintendo cannot use Tetris Attack because of the copyrighted "Tetris")...

My dream is for SSB5 to have Lip as playable character (or at the very least, Assist Trophy) and Puzzle League stage. I actually want Nintendo puzzle games as stages. Some of my other most-wanted stages for SSB5 are Dr. Mario stage, Yoshi's Cookie stage, and especially Wario's Woods stage (this one can be both Wario's and Toad's stage).
Honestly, there is SO much that can be done to promote Lip here in the West. Considering that Nintendo's going mobile as well, I would think Lip and the ENTIRETY of Puzzle League/Panel de Pon would have a VERY comfortable home on mobile phones. As I said before, I'd take Lip as an Assist Trophy in Smash, but if we didn't get even THAT, then I'd even take a simple TROPHY. It just feels really unfair that Lip doesn't enough of her just dues.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh... yes. I like the idea of a new Puzzle League crossover game.

Panel de Pon characters are the main focus... but they meet with guest characters from other Puzzle League games such as Yoshi, Poochy, Pikachu, Meowth, Isabelle, and Tom Nook.

That would be a whole lot better than Planet Puzzle League and Puzzle League Express.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps another Nintendo's puzzle collection might work out in terms of a Nintendo puzzle crossover? With the inclusion of Dr.Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, Wario Woods etc along with Puzzle League.

Perhaps they could do something like what was done in Tetris & Dr.Mario for the SNES and mix the puzzles together in a special mixed match mode....

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let's hope we get something from Nintendo's mobile gaming push.

Pokémon GO was a success, Super Mario Run was positively received and (more important for us) Pokémon Shuffle is doing well enough for Nintendo to supporting and updating it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Perhaps another Nintendo's puzzle collection might work out in terms of a Nintendo puzzle crossover? With the inclusion of Dr.Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, Wario Woods etc along with Puzzle League.

Perhaps they could do something like what was done in Tetris & Dr.Mario for the SNES and mix the puzzles together in a special mixed match mode....
Oh yes! Tetris & Dr. Mario for the SNES was awesome! I used to play it with my brother all the time.

I agree Nintendo needs to make a new Nintendo Puzzle Collection but with 6 classic Nintendo puzzle games instead of 3.

Dr. Mario
Yoshi
Yoshi's Cookie
Wario's Woods
Panel de Pon
Kirby's Star Stacker

Nintendo could use Dr. Mario, Yoshi, Wario, Toad, and Kirby to market the game while officially introducing Lip to the West.

Maybe they could even make Lip amiibo and bundle that with the game... and the other amiibos are compatible with the game, kinda like how Puzzle League in Animal Crossing: New Leaf uses amiibos?

Laniv

Smash Champion
I just need to share this adorable Panel de Pon art!

Source

By the way, the artist really (really) likes Panepon, so I suggest checking them out!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I really feel that if the Switch is a success, it would be an ideal system to bring Lip and the entirety of Puzzle League back on.

Top Bottom