• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing Rolls?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I've been playing a lot of For Glory, and I can't seem to figure out how to deal with players who constantly roll. I fought a Sonic who only rolled, even if I was standing still. It was incredibly hard to land a hit on him/grab him due to his speed, and well, being pretty much invincible due to rolling.

How do you guys deal with people like this? Getting really tired of fighting people like this, any advice is useful.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am curious as to how to punish excessive rolls too. The best I can do is fsmash the opponent with Bowser Jr, but it doesn't really work when I play Robin.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
1) Ready an attack with a wide or low hitbox.
2) watch him roll into it.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I have this problem too, but they usually dodge away after taking pot shots. It not helped that I run into this the most with grenijna and other fast characters...

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
It's very annoying indeed, you'd think they'd have done something about it after play testing? I guess it's just one of those things you'll have to experiment with as it happens. Excessive rolling and lag really bothers me online; imagine if neither or those things existed :)

GreatGonzales

Smash Apprentice
I do two things to deal with this:

1. Anticipate where they will be after roll (not too hard, rollers are pretty predictable)
2. Attack at that location, and use an attack which has a longer attack period. For example, Bowser's Nair, Mario's Dair, etc.

But it is pretty annoying to deal with.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
1) Ready an attack with a wide or low hitbox.
2) watch him roll into it.
I do two things to deal with this:

1. Anticipate where they will be after roll (not too hard, rollers are pretty predictable)
2. Attack at that location, and use an attack which has a longer attack period. For example, Bowser's Nair, Mario's Dair, etc.

But it is pretty annoying to deal with.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do my best to incorporate them next time I'm with a roller!

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
You'd be surprised how often just walking towards an opponent to suddenly throw a Front Smash behind you works against those kind of players.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
U can alway predict them to roll behind u and do a down smash before they have time to react.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Solid advice, guys. I think I just need to get into the mindset of why they're rolling and what they're trying to accomplish, and then exploit that. That Sonic player though, I swear he was practically invincible.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Falcon Kick. It stays out so long it's bound to catch them between rolls.

If they keep spamming rolls and you can't seem to kill them with a knee or the like, use Raptor Boost. Like Falcon Kick, it punishes rolls easily (but not AS easily) and it actually is a pretty viable kill move now. I KO'd a roll spamming Shulk <100% with it once. Since Shulk is supposedly a mid-heavy character, that's pretty good IMO.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Falcon Kick. It stays out so long it's bound to catch them between rolls.

If they keep spamming rolls and you can't seem to kill them with a knee or the like, use Raptor Boost. Like Falcon Kick, it punishes rolls easily (but not AS easily) and it actually is a pretty viable kill move now. I KO'd a roll spamming Shulk <100% with it once. Since Shulk is supposedly a mid-heavy character, that's pretty good IMO.
That KO sounded pretty satisfying, haha. Falcon Kick does actually sound like a viable option; I'll have to try that for myself :)

Radius-86

Smash Ace
Some of the faster characters like Sonic, ZSS, and Greninja have very few vulnerable frames in between rolls and spot dodges so even if you read it the timing for your punish is hard to get right. Netplay latency will make it even harder. You will get punished if you whiff with a slow or laggy move, so it is much safer to use moves with long active frames or have very short lag. For most of the cast the jab is sufficient.

When you're working to deal a killing blow, then you'll have to start taking the risk by roll reading with a strong well-timed move. Once you stop playing conservatively there is a good chance your opponent will start giving you a lot of damage and things will break even. I don't like opening myself up to that, so I just stick with the jabs which will have some launch power by 100%+, and then follow up with something else.

If you do get good at roll punishing and the player starts to shield more instead, you just have to replace jab with grab.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Some of the faster characters like Sonic, ZSS, and Greninja have very few vulnerable frames in between rolls and spot dodges so even if you read it the timing for your punish is hard to get right. Netplay latency will make it even harder. You will get punished if you whiff with a slow or laggy move, so it is much safer to use moves with long active frames or have very short lag. For most of the cast the jab is sufficient.

When you're working to deal a killing blow, then you'll have to start taking the risk by roll reading with a strong well-timed move. Once you stop playing conservatively there is a good chance your opponent will start giving you a lot of damage and things will break even. I don't like opening myself up to that, so I just stick with the jabs which will have some launch power by 100%+, and then follow up with something else.

If you do get good at roll punishing and the player starts to shield more instead, you just have to replace jab with grab.
Didn't even think of something as simple as a jab. Thanks for the insight, it really sucks that people who constantly roll strip the game down to something so tiresome.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
laser, pk fire, pk thunder, fireball, luma, ground pound, rollout, yoshi egg of doom, uh.... sigh... kirby air cutter of mayhem, D3 inhalation of devastation, Samus Bombastatic bombardment of death and terror, Link's great ARROWS OF RIGHTEOUS JUSTICE, SONIC BOOM, oh wait that's street fighter, just use splash attack.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i usually just dsmash depending on who i'm playing, or go for any attack the sweeps through a line (or aerial that i can use over a wide space near the ground). doesn't always work, and if it stops working out then i just hang back and chip at them with projectiles til they get annoyed and play sloppier (then switch back to close-range).

it's really ridiculous, though... i was fighting palutena as jiggs, and i used sing right next to her (i knew by this point i was going to win the match for sure regardless so why not). she spotdodged 3 times very quickly without even giving her shield time to appear and rolled away -- thing is, sing is pretty much a constant hitbox in smash4 (or close to), which means that her spotdodge left her with virtually NO vulnerable frames.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
i usually just dsmash depending on who i'm playing, or go for any attack the sweeps through a line (or aerial that i can use over a wide space near the ground). doesn't always work, and if it stops working out then i just hang back and chip at them with projectiles til they get annoyed and play sloppier (then switch back to close-range).

it's really ridiculous, though... i was fighting palutena as jiggs, and i used sing right next to her (i knew by this point i was going to win the match for sure regardless so why not). she spotdodged 3 times very quickly without even giving her shield time to appear and rolled away -- thing is, sing is pretty much a constant hitbox in smash4 (or close to), which means that her spotdodge left her with virtually NO vulnerable frames.
I love hearing all these "my experience with rollers" stories, haha! Really does show exactly how ridiculous it is though...

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
It ain't easy, that's for sure, especially if the character you're facing rolls like a friggin' Dark Souls character. The only strategy I can really stick with is watching them and sticking back. If they're a roller they won't really approach much, so you can kinda psych them out by dashing forward and stopping to test their reaction style. I place Dsmashes and aerials based on what I can memorize in a short span of time.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
As MegaMan:
1. Anticipate a roll behind you.
2. Turn around.
3. Mega upper.

Kills at 75-100% depending on weight and vectoring. Either way, it sends a message. Mega upper hits hard.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
you just have to predict where they're going to roll and bait them to do it and attack where they're rolling to. its not easy at first but you get the hang of it.

Top Bottom