• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pummel Damage Data

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Here's some values I thought were interesting regarding pummels in this game.

All of these were tested in VS. mode against a 300% Handicapped Mario. Click on the Damage (%) box to sort it into highest damage output! This is a fairly rough guide (I didn't test these super extensively) but it's mainly to show who is worth pummeling with and who isn't.

Character | Damage (%)
Mario | 42
Luigi | 41
Peach | 56
Koopa | 40
Yoshi | 65
Rosalina | 60
Bowser Jr. | 60
Wario | 31
G&W | 36
DK | 68
Diddy Kong | 63
Link | 68
Zelda | 39
Sheik | 35
Ganondorf | 32
Toon Link | 68
Samus | 63
Zero Suit Samus | 67
Pit | 67
Palutena | 71
Marth | 67
Ike | 69
Robin | 29
Kirby | 73
Dedede | 66
Meta Knight | 37
Little Mac | 68
Fox | 57
Falco | 63
Pikachu | 65
Charizard | 63
0% Lucario | 38
200% Lucario | 98
Jigglypuff | 78
Frog | 25
Duck Hunt Doge | 36
ROB | 35
Ness | 57
Captain Falcon | 67
Villager | 37
Olimar (White) | 54
Olimar (Purple) | 27
Olimar (Blue) | 27
Olimar (Red) | 28
Olimar (Yellow) | 25
Wii Fit Trainer | 34
Dr. Mario | 47
Dark Pit | 67
Lucina | 67
Shulk | 34
Shulk (Speed)| 24
Shulk (Buster)| 48
Shulk (Shield)| 24
Pac-Man | 68
Mega Man | 36
Sonic | 67

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I must be misunderstanding something.

Are you suggesting that if a opponent is at 300% Lucario can rack up 98% in one second if they don't button smash out?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

Are you suggesting that if a opponent is at 300% Lucario can rack up 98% in one second if they don't button smash out?
no, lol

dps is the wrong word, umm

I'm not sure what to describe it as though

Basically before Mario auto breaks out at 300% Lucario does 98% with pummels, if that makes more sense.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

Not in one second--The idea is that at 300%, it'd probably take someone about seven seconds (just making up a number here) to get out. In those seven seconds, each character can do the damage listed.

As such, it's easy to see how some characters do more than others, regardless of the span of time.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To explain the situation, the grabbed opponent's damage determines how quickly he/she can break free from the grab. If the grabbed fighter has 0% damage, he/she can escape the grab quite easily if the attacker doesn't throw him/her immediately.

For a fighter who has 300% damage though, it takes quite a while before he/she can break free from the grab. As such, Aerodrome's table basically shows how much damage each fighter can deal to 300% damage Mario with their pummels before Mario breaks free from their grab.

Unreal Ed

Smash Rookie
So, not too seem ungrateful or anything, but this data is set on 300% damage so that the difference can be made more apparent (i believe). While it's nice and all to satiate the curiosity of the inner workings of Sm4sh, it's not really useable, common data (unless you're really into pummeling people in sudden death).

So, is there anyone who would be willing to create the same table but with Mario set at 100% (or maybe 50%)? coz that would be more useful for normal gameplay.

Also, I notice you chose mario, but do certain character free themselves faster than others? (just out of curiosity)

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
So, not too seem ungrateful or anything, but this data is set on 300% damage so that the difference can be made more apparent (i believe). While it's nice and all to satiate the curiosity of the inner workings of Sm4sh, it's not really useable, common data (unless you're really into pummeling people in sudden death).
It's usable data for me. Who's worth pummeling with etc
So, is there anyone who would be willing to create the same table but with Mario set at 100% (or maybe 50%)? coz that would be more useful for normal gameplay.
You're more than welcome to post your results! :D

Doval

Smash Lord
Are we sure there isn't a significant feedback effect here? E.g. If a character does more damage with pummels it's harder for the oppenent to break out, letting him do more damage with pummels. If there's a limit on how much % contributes to breaking out of grabs and that limit is lower than 300%, you could see different results at normal %s. On the flip side, at low %s you don't have much time to apply damage and the feedback may not contribute much.

Also, do we know if there's a correlation between the total damage and pummel speed? Is it safe to assume that fast pummelers are the highest ranked on the list? That would simplify things a lot - you could get a decent estimate just by looking.

Last edited:

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456

Also, I notice you chose mario, but do certain character free themselves faster than others? (just out of curiosity)
Yeah, this isn't to how much damage youd be able to actually get in a physical match, because that would never happen. Youd just throw and take the stock. Its simply to show an exaggerated value to widen the spectrum of differentiating how good everyone's pummel is. If he were to have done this at 50, everyone's pummel damage would've been within 10% of each other. That would have no real value.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
So it's not my imagination that Mega Man has the worst pummel in the universe.

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
So it's not my imagination that Mega Man has the worst pummel in the universe.
Lol yeah, its literally not even worth the risk of them mashing out to do at all.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I did some tests myself and our data is similar in most cases so I guess that's good. However double check Metaknight, I could have sworn his damage is higher than that. I did a dps test though by pummeling for a minute straight and dividing by 60, however there's obvious slight flaws in doing so. Some characters will get a pummel in at the last moment and others didn't. Plus human error may come into play since buffering pummels and regrabs after the anti chaingrab invunerable window is a thing.

I'm very happy Puffs pummel animation was changed though, highest dps pummel. Metaknight was top 5 dps on my list >>

Also Sheiks dps is awful.

Last edited:
Pummeling too quickly occurs in some pummels being dropped and not dealing damage or hitstun. This happens if you pummel while the victim is in the "getting hit" animation iirc. I remember talking with some people about it in the brawl days and learning that Ness, Sonic, etc. mains have an "optimal pummel speed", which is pummeling as quickly as possible without dropping hits.

Top Bottom