• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puff as a secondary

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Hello to my fellow floaties, Luigi main here looking for some opinions and advice.

You may or may not be aware that the Luigi/Sheik MU is cancer for Luigi, I'm sick of banging my head against the wall with it and am now considering taking refuge in Puff as an answer to Sheik since I know it's good for Puff. Basically I will be aiming to use Puff exclusively for this MU, only problem is I've never touched Puff in my life so I have no idea where to even start. I'm hoping that since I already play a floaty character, some knowledge will transition. Are there any concerns I should have with this idea? Anything I may not be considering? I do realize I'll need to have at least basic knowledge on other MUs for if I get character counter picked by a Sheik opponent. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

ZipZopZoop

Smash Rookie
Well I think people make the shiek matchup seem easier than it actually is for Jiggs. I think it's my hardest mu because sheiks fair and bair are pretty strong and can beat Jiggs bair if you don't have really good spacing. Also sheik likes to be super campy with needles. The best thing about this mu is you can get easy crouch cancel rests if they dash attack or do a grab other than boost grab but good sheiks don't let you get those. Edgeguarding can be easy if they are far enough off and you edgehog because they poof onstage and then you rest them. If they are close you are kinda screwed because if you edgehog they will hit you with the poof and go too far onstage to rest and if you stay onstage they sweetspot to ledge. Their usmash kills you pretty hard if you get hit with it and their dsmash hurts too. Lots of sheiks are dsmash happy but you can punish it with wavedash oos to rest but its super hard to pull off. So really I think sheik is only easy for Jiggs if it is a really low level sheik player. I am a scrub though so maybe I'm missing something.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
The Sheik/Puff MU is largely dependent on the playstyle of the Sheik player. If the Sheik likes to grab, they are screwed and are not playing the matchup correctly. Sheik is a very tricky MU for Puff due to the fact that Sheik can actually Puff's zoning ability with her own hitboxes. Needles hurt a lot and it is basically a war of attrition. You want to try to stay as low as possible against Sheik because crouch blows her up and try to stay right under her if Sheik is trying to challenge your aerials.

The MU is still much better for Puff than Luigi, but just because they are floaty doesn't mean that knowledge will transition because Puff plays pretty differently from Luigi. IMO though Sheik/Puff is 50-50, which is still better than the Luigi/Sheik MU and so if you feel you can't do it with Luigi, then by all means use Puff.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I think this is your best bet. It is one of Sheik's harder MUs, and there isn't too much tech skill to learn. Just make sure you get used to hitting rest, and the setups. You need to be be able to, say, jump back and rest a dash attack through you that you CC'ed.

Top Bottom