• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSI Magnet use

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Well, according to Dojo, Ness' PSI Magnet as a special property to it like Lucas' does.

From what I have tried / seen / done / etc, it is useless.
For those who don't know what I am talking about, after the Magnet is released it pushes your opponent back far enough to tip them with the bat.

It is acually a perfect distance for any one of Ness' move if someone can use it correctly, BUT HOW?! They have to be to close to use it.

I have tried using for edgegaurding, which, there is a possibility that I could be doing it completely wrong but who knows. I only get punished.
I have tried using it in hand to hand combat in a close ranged match only to get Fsmashed.

I think I am missing something. Ness is a beast and I willnot accept that this tech isn't useful.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
No, you're not missing anything. It is completely useless.

Unless you're playing with items. In which case it can be used to push crates and things across the stage.

Having said that, it saved me from a charged Falco up smash once. But that was a huge fluke.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
The way I figure it, it has to be useful. It saved you from a Usmash so that to me is confirming its very small potential.

So, it can save you from small ranged Fsmashes and Usmashes at the least, it is situational but it could save a stock and leave you an opening.
Thats good with characters like Wario, Falco, Lucas (Maybe? that Usmash is obscene), etc. Short ranged attcks. SEE?! POTENTIAL!

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
not lucas. The pk love's range is just to much. you'll be hit for sure. But I'm with you. I've used it effectively before. I pushed z suit samus off the edge with it, then did a charged around the world. It knocked her up, the i foot stool spiked her. i was so happy.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it has also saved me a couple of times from Pikachu. He SH Neutral B'd at me while I shorthopped, I PK Magnetted it, and let go. The wind that pushed him back as our bodies approached each other, slid him far back enough that his dsmash didn't catch me. For the rest of the night, I kept trying to put the same tactic to good use; little to no success. ]:

But I'm determined!

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
This required a new thread... why?
Why? Well for one, there was never a thread started about this technique spec. It is important whether you belive so or not, so a discuss to improve it's use is helpful. Also, if you hadn't already noticed, we're getting somewhere with it...

The way I figure it, it has to be useful. It saved you from a Usmash so that to me is confirming its very small potential.

So, it can save you from small ranged Fsmashes and Usmashes at the least, it is situational but it could save a stock and leave you an opening.
Thats good with characters like Wario, Falco, Lucas (Maybe? that Usmash is obscene), etc. Short ranged attcks. SEE?! POTENTIAL!

Yeah, it has also saved me a couple of times from Pikachu. He SH Neutral B'd at me while I shorthopped, I PK Magnetted it, and let go. The wind that pushed him back as our bodies approached each other, slid him far back enough that his dsmash didn't catch me. For the rest of the night, I kept trying to put the same tactic to good use; little to no success. ]:

But I'm determined!
So, to review, it does need a separate thread.

It also can be SH, which it notmally should be becuase it is possible to keep momentum moving out of it. The distance the push gives is only a certain legnth from Ness, which is the far enough to tip with the bat. That is key, keep that in mind when trying ideas for use.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Its saved me from smashes from time to time. I think its prupose was to push people away to avoid punishment if you were to release it when someone was approaching, just like the wind on Kirby's stone and toon links dair.

Also, it can pseudo reflect certain projectiles if you release it at the right time. This works with bombs, grenades, and other things.

Arcade

Smash Ace
If only the wind was as strong as Toon Link's down-air, it might be worth something. But I prefer to dodge out of Magnet instead of pushing back the opponent a quarter of an inch and still getting punished.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
The way I use Magnet offensively is when the opponent has just finished with their recovery move from a good distance, of course I use this on the characters that cannot attack after the move and they start blinking, so you cannot be punished for using it off the edge. This is just a technique you can do when you are bored and you want to be a d*ck about how you want to kill your opponent... This option of using Magnet is not recommended, but it's pretty **** funny. =P

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
DING DING DING.

I had a lot of matches with my friend, who mains Pikachu, last night, and the PSI Magnet Push worked wonders at times, blundered at others. Once I weed out the blunders, it should be a-okay.

The main utilization tonight was PSI Magnetting at the base of his PK Thunder, pushing him away with the release, and Batting him in the face at the very last second of his animation for Thunder. Tipper everytime. <333.

Shall I post vids?

acojan

Smash Apprentice
Im having a helluva hard time timing it properly.

Wouldn't tripping or dodging be better than psi magnet's push in terms of convenience and speed ??

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Im having a helluva hard time timing it properly.

Wouldn't tripping or dodging be better than psi magnet's push in terms of convenience and speed ??
The way I treat it is more of a luxury of a move. Like, absorb a laggy energy move close-up, and push them back enough to tip them with the bat. Instead of trying to go out there and push them.

Oh, I might also add that this move worked a couple of times when I recovered high. It went like this:

I double jumped high over the stage but came down almost 100% vertical towards my enemy, who was at the ledge. I dodged his first full-hop Nair by air-stalling with PSI Magnet. Followed him as he fell back towards the stage. I PSI Magnetted again, when I got closer to the floor and released. The Wind from the magnet pushed him off of the stage, and he did a dair and fell half way to his doom (I assume because he was trying to do a DSmash, if not for the wind). On his way trying to recover, I spiked him with the quickness.

[: [: I don't know if I have a recording of that game or not.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I think the wind allows us to use the move more proactively. We can anticipate or guess an energy move coming, and turn it on. Then if we were wrong and people come for us, we may be able to repel them.

But I don't think it works on running people, only walkers.

Also, it may be another way to get people who are dodging around you to back off.

I think this move is super important. Look at Bucket for Game and Watch. People just don't launch projectiles at that guy, the risk is too great. Recovering damage is better than building a weapon, in such a game as smash.
You have to make it near impossible to be Plasma shot, or Aura sphered, or whatever.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
The way I treat it is more of a luxury of a move. Like, absorb a laggy energy move close-up, and push them back enough to tip them with the bat. Instead of trying to go out there and push them.

Oh, I might also add that this move worked a couple of times when I recovered high. It went like this:

I double jumped high over the stage but came down almost 100% vertical towards my enemy, who was at the ledge. I dodged his first full-hop Nair by air-stalling with PSI Magnet. Followed him as he fell back towards the stage. I PSI Magnetted again, when I got closer to the floor and released. The Wind from the magnet pushed him off of the stage, and he did a dair and fell half way to his doom (I assume because he was trying to do a DSmash, if not for the wind). On his way trying to recover, I spiked him with the quickness.

[: [: I don't know if I have a recording of that game or not.
Awthumneth

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Turns out I don't have a video from the game that EB360 quoted. I was thinking it over today, perhaps I should

1) Play my friend again and catch him in the same situation (though it might be a lot harder and might take a few more days for the video) and get the whole match recorded in a replay.

2) Or I can ask him to repeat these actions but you won't get to see it in full gameplay glory, but instead, a re-enactment of that segment of the battles where I utilize PSI Magnet in such a manner.

What do you guys think I should do?

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Just play and record until you do it. If you try and do it the situation will looked stage, which would defeat the purpose.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai must've been high when he posted that on dojo as if it were the most important feature of Ness. The so called gust of wind sakurai stated is completely useless, do not waste your time trying to implement this into ness' game, you might as well improve on using PK Flash better. The only time i used the push effect in a match was against a fox player charging his fsmash, I succeeded in pushing fox, but the momentum of his fsmash DI straight through it and I was punished for do so:confused:

This really is an insult towards earthbound fans. I mean, after giving Lucas' Pk magnet a more floaty, quicker Pk magnet that protects him at all angles, he just had to top it off and also include an attack feature for his magnet. When I use Lucas, I actually attack with his magnet, too me that's my freaking gush of wind; because when characters get hit by an attack, THEY USUALLY FLY OFF IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION AND TAKE DAMAGE!!!!! Ness hardly pushes the opponent with his magnet, they can even DI through it....

Man I'm starting notice something fishy, this is kinda going off topic a bit, but if you've notice, Ness' trophy description is short and brief. It really states nothing about him, or where he's from, or any descriptive details of his story, not even a hint of how ness is baseball crazy. Lucas' trophy on the other hand, is the direct opposite of Ness' trophy....

It's official, sakurai hates Ness...:urg:

Okay back on topic, if anyone has any vids as proof of showing how this "gust of wind" of which sakurai speaks of is somewhat useful, feel free to post it anytime soon...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
cHookay, yes Sakurai likes Lucas better. Did you know he helped in the creation of MOther 3 but not Earthbound?

But dont be so negative

The wind isnt completely useless. Its designed to prevent lag punishers by pushing them away as Ness recovers.

Also, it can pseudo reflect some projectiles

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Idk, but what I do know is that it can be used on ROB.

Absorb the lasers and reflect the gyros. It stops whatever comes your way :)

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
EB360: You can reflect the Gyros with it? I'd figure they're thrown with too much momentum ...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If they are not thrown with Down B.
That means if the ROB throws it, picks it up again, and uses A to throw it.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Once theres a video I will update the OP and maybe this can turn into a cereal discussion. ManBearPig wtf.

Get back on topic. This isnt about the bat or the draydel. Or are you guys talking about stoping the draydels momentum with the wind? I'm confused.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Sakurai must've been high when he posted that on dojo as if it were the most important feature of Ness. The so called gust of wind sakurai stated is completely useless, do not waste your time trying to implement this into ness' game, you might as well improve on using PK Flash better. The only time i used the push effect in a match was against a fox player charging his fsmash, I succeeded in pushing fox, but the momentum of his fsmash DI straight through it and I was punished for do so:confused:

This really is an insult towards earthbound fans. I mean, after giving Lucas' Pk magnet a more floaty, quicker Pk magnet that protects him at all angles, he just had to top it off and also include an attack feature for his magnet. When I use Lucas, I actually attack with his magnet, too me that's my freaking gush of wind; because when characters get hit by an attack, THEY USUALLY FLY OFF IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION AND TAKE DAMAGE!!!!! Ness hardly pushes the opponent with his magnet, they can even DI through it....

Man I'm starting notice something fishy, this is kinda going off topic a bit, but if you've notice, Ness' trophy description is short and brief. It really states nothing about him, or where he's from, or any descriptive details of his story, not even a hint of how ness is baseball crazy. Lucas' trophy on the other hand, is the direct opposite of Ness' trophy....

It's official, sakurai hates Ness...:urg:

Okay back on topic, if anyone has any vids as proof of showing how this "gust of wind" of which sakurai speaks of is somewhat useful, feel free to post it anytime soon...
This.

Really, Lucas is identical to Ness in terms of use. To push people back. Lucas sends them far!
Ness barely pushes them. While Lucas recovers more damage and covers both sides, poor old Ness has less range than Lucas.

Somethings really fishy. I mean Zap jumping and B sticking ???

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
Sakurai likes Lucsa better. He intended to make him better, luckily, he didnt quite succeed, or at least, the game designers other than his helped to make Ness just as good.

Sorry Aevin, I was wrong. You cant really push back Gyros with th magnet, but grenades are VERY easy to reflect since they dont blow up instantly like boms, get reflected far, and dont knck Ness out of the magnet if he is hit by them :bee:

I can see this being VERY useful on Snakes

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol I once used the wind from the magnet to kill a jigglypuff who missed with rest. It was probably the funniest stock I've ever seen.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Once theres a video I will update the OP and maybe this can turn into a cereal discussion. ManBearPig wtf.

Get back on topic. This isnt about the bat or the draydel. Or are you guys talking about stoping the draydels momentum with the wind? I'm confused.
You talking about my video that I promised, Memphis? If so, I better get to work on it, with this new sense of demand. [: [:

Edit: So with this past week being really busy and all, I didn't get as much work on a video as I had hoped. But I recorded two of my replays from casual games in the past week and thought that you guys might like to see it. If anything, I think it's a good watch just to see some advanced techs or quirks put to use in a real game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-remM3gQ4E
-PK Jump: :05
-Somewhat Advanced use of PKT: 1:01
-PSI Magnet Pushes: :57 & 1:54

P.S. I realize there are plenty of missed opportunities with PKT2 but like I said, I wasn't trying too hard to win or anything. Tell me what you guys think?

Top Bottom