• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA Project: Fighter Kirby - V0.1.4 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALF

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I've had this at kittycorp for about 2 weeks, but I figured it's overdue for a thread over here. I just released v0.1.4, which has every special move changed. The next version is likely to be v1.0, but for that I need to make sure he's balanced, so I want as many people beta testing and giving me feedback as possible, so I came here to spread the joy. Here's the OP:

UMOP said:
Go for it!

CHAMPION!

INTRODUCTION:
This is what really happens when Kirby swallows Lucario! Sporting a red headband and the total mastery over martial arts and chi attacks, Kirby's fighter ability is one of his most versatile powers. This hack will try to incorporate as many of his attacks as possible, while keeping true to the Kirby series by using only his special button for his new moves. All of his special attacks are getting a complete makeover, the only other things being edited might be his throws.

MOVE DESCRIPTIONS:
The descriptions will become more detailed when I have working versions of the moves. Please note that the kill percents are taken from the middle of Final Destination against a level 3 Pit (the statistically most average-weighted character in the game), for the most part.

NEUTRAL B:
Pressing down the special button lets Kirby start focusing his chi. There are 4 different charging levels you can release it into, and in total there are 7 different attacks this can result in. Releasing it immediately on the ground results in the famous Vulcan Jab. He does 5 punches extremely fast, each doing only 1%. Holding the special button once the Vulcan Jab has started lets the attack continue into a combo, going from Vulcan Jab to a Rising Kick, and finally into a Meteor Punch. The Rising Kick deals 4%, and has set knockback that easily sets up another hit. The Meteor Punch deals 6%, and is slightly less powerful than Diddy's dair. Releasing it immediately in the air results in a quick Whirlwind Kick (see side-b).

If you let Kirby focus his chi for more than 10 frames (a sixth of a second for those who aren't in the know), he'll have gathered enough to shoot a ball of energy. There are 3 different levels of this energy blast: level 1 is from frame 10 to frame 60 (1 second), level 2 is from frame 60 to frame 150 (2.5 seconds) and level 3 is releasing it anytime after frame 150. He can keep charging as long as you want, but it'll never go higher than a level 3 hadouken blast. All of the levels have a range of almost half of FD. The level 1 deals 5% and has no kill power, but decent knockback. The level 2 deals 10%, and kills around 150%. The level 3 deals 20%, and kills at around 65%. If Kirby does a hadouken in the air, it cancels his momentum (this was done to make the attack work correctly in the air, not because that's how it's supposed to be).

Kirby can stop focusing at any time by pressing a shield button, but he does not keep the energy he had built up.

SIDE-B:
Kirby leaps into a Whirlwind Kick, but instead of his traditional Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku style spin, he opts for a Spinning Bird Kick instead (because I couldn't find a good animation lol). There are 4 kicks to this attack each dealing 5%, and the jump into it has a hitbox for 2%, for a 5 hit combo dealing 22%. The entire move, even the last hit, has set knockback that is just enough to lead into some combos.

There is another part to the side special that I don't think anyone else has done before. If you do the side-b while running, he will instead do a large backflip uppercut fire kick. This move deals 12% and sends the opponent flying straight up, killing at around 100%.

UP-B:
Kirby does what's technically called his Rising Break. What it is actually is his SHORYUKEN! For those who have been deprived their entire lives and don't know what a Shoryuken is, it's basically doing an uppercut while jumping 10 feet in the air with a flaming fist of fury (well, Ken's does anyway, and that's what Kirby's is based off of). The move comes out fast and has super armor for until the hitboxes show up (which is only 5 frames). It then does a 7 multihit combo (again, based off of Ken's) dealing 2% for each of the first 6 hits and 6% on the last one for a total of 18%. It doesn't kill until about 150%, and puts him into his special fall animation. For recovery, it goes up a little shorter than his Final Cutter did, but can autosnap to ledges on the way up.

DOWN B:
On the ground, Kirby will does one of the few attacks he can do in the canon Kirby games without a copy ability: His slide kick. This move has deals 8 damage, set knockback, and a 50% tripping chance. If you hit with it, Kirby bounces off the opponent, and has a slight amount of lag.

In the air, Kirby does his diagonal dive kick. This move shoots him downward at an angle, and lasts a long time. There are two hitboxes, one on his body for 7% and one on the kick for 9%. If you hit the opponent, spikes them at the same angle, and Kirby bounces off. If you hit the ground, Kirby will slide a little bit, but with too much lag to utilize as a pseudo-wavedash.

Neither of these moves can be b-reversaled (not sure why, but heck, let's roll with it).

MOVE PROGRESS:
(Blue - Ready for full release)
(Green - Working draft done, needs beta testing)
(Yellow - action codes work, sub-actions aren't finished)
(Red - No work done yet)

Neutral B:
Charging Animation
Vulcan Jab
Rising Kick
Meteor Punch
Whirlwind Kick
Small Hadouken
Medium Hadouken
Large Hadouken

Side B:
Lunging Whirlwind Kick
Backflip Fire Kick

Down B:
Slide Kick
Dive Kick

Up B:
SHORYUKEN

OTHER STUFF TO DO:
Make the throws a little stronger
Give him a headband ):

DOWNLOADS:
Finally, all the specials have been completed! After this, it's most likely onto the full release. There are quite a few changes in this version in addition to the down-b. They are as follows:

- The bug in which the charge on the hadouken is reset when you land or fall while charging has been fixed.
- Hadoukens are now super sexy looking, and have different sounds upon hitting the enemy.
- Level 1 hadouken has received a nerf in knockback.
- All levels of hadouken have had a hitbox size change to make them less disjointed.
- Side b whirlwind kicks have more knockback on the last hit, though it is still set knockback and CAN still lead into combos. Just not as many d:
- Both side b and neutral b whirlwind kicks have increased damage
- Backflip Fire Kick has more range, and the bug involved with it has been fixed

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=87VR4CIF

Old Versions:
V0.1.3(complete): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V7OIWO3Y
V0.1.3(rushed): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X3G4YAP6
V0.1.2 (only shoryuken and side-b spinning bird kick): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BHCBV4XP

VIDEOS:
Once again, S.N.E.S.S. supplies me with a vid with quality I could never achieve.
V0.1.3(Complete): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ipHBElKdA

Old vids:
V0.1.3(Rushed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAtpIl2RtG8

HELP NEEDED:
I still need help figuring out how to give Kirby his snake hat. I haven't tried anything yet, but I really want to be able to give him that hat without it changing the actions he uses or for it to be possible to knock it off him. If anyone has done something similar to this, or has a good idea how to do it, please tell me.
I'd really like some feedback, and remember I'm trying to make this as balanced as possible. If you have any questions, ask away.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This is some good stuff! Finally Kirby gets the sliding kick he has been deprived of for so long!

Any chance you could give him suplex's falling toe-tip kick for dair? c:

Or is that what you have for down B in the air? Because one should be the Suplex kick and the other should be the Ninja dive yeahyeahyeah

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait for you to find a way for him to always have Snake's hat on :3

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
This is soo sick. Props to you.

I totally want to try this. Hey, may I suggest that you make a Ryu Captain Falcon? You obv. know how to doo shroyuken.

Kaosu Reido

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible, 'cause I don't know much about PSA, but would it be possible to alter his entrance animation to include a flag or command to set Kirby's power to Snake hat, and then alter his Snake hat move to be the Hadoken, along with his non-snake hat neutral also being Hadoken? In which case, something could be added to a taunt, maybe, to set him to Snake hat again if the player loses it and wants to put it back on, but without any gameplay changes. I don't know how that's loaded or anything, though, or if it's at all viable.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It's awesome. Currently a bit overpowered but awesome. Only thing I want to suggest is that nuetralB in the air should be that kick.

And I also await the model extractor even more so than before because fighter kirby is useless without the headband!

ALF

Smash Cadet
Yes everyone, I know he needs a headband. I can't figure out how Kirby gets his hats, but as soon as I do, he'll have it. I even have a special texture for it courtesy of thanyou over at kittycorp.

Also, Alphatron, in what ways is he overpowered? If it's just about the aerial hadoukens, I've thought about doing what you said to fix it, but haven't really received any feedback on it. I think it's for the best that I do replace it with the kick, because hadoukens off the side = aircamping galore. Any others want to voice their opinion on that?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
why don't you change his normal moves?
Because only using the B button is true to fighter Kirby's fighting style. Only thing that could probably be done would be to change his f/b throw.

SideB is uber. It's nigh unpunishable and has a total dmg output that's as high as Ganon dair. If the enemy blocks, kirby can just SideB away most of the time.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
you could make all the a moves goto the b moves.

like make his jabs go to his neutral b, side tilt and side smash to to forward b, etc

ALF

Smash Cadet
you could make all the a moves goto the b moves.

like make his jabs go to his neutral b, side tilt and side smash to to forward b, etc
Well, I never really considered it, but it's a possibility. I could also try to map all a button moves to the jump, except for dtilt and dsmash for a truly canon-style Fighter Kirby. I don't know if I really want to, though. This is still Super Smash Bros. after all, and taking away all of his old moves takes away the versatility the other characters have. It would also be a lot of work, with probably disappointing results.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think it'd be so good to take away his normal moves - most of them were based on his moves as Fighter Kirby already, so why even change them? You've got his missing moves with Rising Break for up-B, Spin Kick for Side B, Slide Kick/Down Kick for down-B and hadouken (er... you mean Smash Punch, right?) for B. You've pretty much got all of Fighter Kirby's signature moves down - no need to go taking apart the rest of him. This is Smash Bros after all, not Kirby Superstar.:ohwell:

ALF

Smash Cadet
So I'm assuming you missed my previous post then? Have Dair be the Ninja ability kick and Down B be the straight down kick?
Which game is that from? I don't recall that being in Super Star, I know it's not in Squeak Squad, and I was pretty sure (though I haven't played it :(), that Amazing Mirror has pretty much the same moves as Squeak Squad. And I'm not changing any of the regular moves, only the specials.

ALF

Smash Cadet
Ah, okay then. It is in Super Star though, Down+attack from the air makes him dive at an angle.
Isn't that the attack I already made for his down-B in the air? I thought that's what you meant by ninja kick, because his ninja ability also has that same attack. What's the difference between that and the "straight down kick"?

Looks sick. Will try on the weekend. Will provide mucho feedback.

btw, what version of the game is this for?
I made it for vBrawl. Apparently it's really overpowered in B+, but I wouldn't know because I don't play it.

IAMWAVEMAN

Smash Rookie
The fact that the sideB can be used over and over, with out and lag time before or after the move, means its a better recovery than his UpB. This combined with Kirby's multiple jumps makes it almost impossible to knock him off the stage unless he's at really high damage, or you go for a Spike. (Just pointing this out)

Most of Fighter Kirby's moves are on here, except for the Double Kick, which I think should be the dash attack considering right now its the same as the SideB. Other than that, we just need a headband on him.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
The fact that the sideB can be used over and over, with out and lag time before or after the move, means its a better recovery than his UpB. This combined with Kirby's multiple jumps makes it almost impossible to knock him off the stage unless he's at really high damage, or you go for a Spike. (Just pointing this out)

Most of Fighter Kirby's moves are on here, except for the Double Kick, which I think should be the dash attack considering right now its the same as the SideB. Other than that, we just need a headband on him.
Pretty sure the animation for Kirby's Side-B is from his one of his get-up attacks. Though as ALF said, he's only changing B moves, not removing or altering the a-moves.

I've got one suggestion for Side-B. Make it like Diddy Kong's Side-B or (preferably) Pit's Up-B (make it only usable once in mid-air before landing).

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'm gonna draw his attention to this. He's not online at the moment, but I'll try and remember to message him.

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
if i could download this to my wii, and play with it, i would so totaly do this

if u see this, and know how to use this, vm me and please tell me how to dl this awesome new character :>

ALF

Smash Cadet
I'm giving control of this project to someone else, but I'm not sure who yet. My spring semester just started, so I'm going to be busy, and I've been out of the loop for so long it'll probably be easier if someone with more experience with the latest (or even fairly old) breakthroughs in hacking takes over. Shadic said he'll look around for someone for me, because I don't know the who's-who anymore, but if you think you can finish this up, send an AIM at MrUpsideDownMan and I'll talk about giving the project to you.

nerfispwnage243

Smash Cadet
Since Kirby can load the Snake hat in the first place, couldn't we just open BrawlBox, change the Snake hat textures so he doesn't have the beard, port over the textures and model, and then play that texture and it would have the headband? I hope that makes sense. I would love to try it, but my SD card is really not agreeing with me at the moment.

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
This is an amazingly smooth and fun PSA- I'm really impressed. I haven't played the GBA game with fighter Kirby in it, but my roommate tells me that all of the moves look and act nearly identically.
The only change I can even think of to ask for is an extension in the length of his grounded down-b. It seems a little too short, as is.
I'm really looking forward to the cosmetic changes.

EDIT: Also, shortening the length of his aerial down-b seems like a necessity when you've been gimped by brawl's momentum engine as many times I was when testing him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Now this is something awesome! I am a big Kirby fan myself so this would be cool! As said above (or above the above post) just get rid of the beard and paint the bandana red! I will keep an eye on this thread.

ALF

Smash Cadet
I'm sure brawlbox will make finishing this easy, but the last time I did anything with brawl hacking brawlbox wasn't even existent. I'm really behind the times, even though it's only been a few months. I don't have the spare time to pick it up again because my spring semester just started and I'm already behind because of missing textbooks. I didn't realize until now that my creation is still popular, so I guess I should be proud, but I really can't finish it myself right now, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to.

Edit: @toddj: In the Kirby games, the move will never end until you land. Be glad that's not the case. I'm aware it's buggy if you use it after you get hit, but it's the same bug that TL's dair has. I think I know a way to fix it, but it again would require animation editing, which is out of my scope. I actually have a bunch of fixes planned, but again, I can't do it right now. I do apologize, but I have my priorities set right now. I don't want to do what I did last semester, having 10 weeks of assignments with only 2 weeks left to do them in. Anyway, I'm rambling, so... yeah.

ALF

Smash Cadet
Sorry about the double post, but I decided to try it myself, and I was wrong. Not that I'd be unable to, but that brawlbox would make this easy. Thankfully, with Eldiran's help, I'm making leaps and bounds, but it's still a ways away.

Jooklet

Smash Rookie
Whether or not this thread was supposed to die, I don't care. I think fighter kirby is the best kirby out there. I look forward to the finished product of this, if it happens. I WANT to use this PSA, but the problem is, I can't. I tried and it didn't work. How can I get it to work right?

Fen__

Smash Ace
By doing things correctly? People can't really help you unless they know what you did to point out where you went wrong. Also, there's a whole forum dedicated to helping people who are having any sort of problem related to using or creating mods for Brawl. Double check that the files are in the right place and named correctly, then, if you still can't figure it out, post in the Help section and someone should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom