• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: Bowser Can Totally Vududash

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
If you're running at the edge of a platform, and Klaw within a couple frames before you fall off, Bowser keeps his momentum but does the grounded Klaw animation into the air, catapulting him across the stage. Your momentum drops off really fast, though, so you get way less distance if you're not frame perfect.

I'm gonna call the Bowser specific version of this "oddklawing" out of profound personal narcissism, and my bottomless lust for e-fame. You can call it whatever the hell you like. :<

In general, it seems like you can't grab people if you're coming off a platform in this fashion, unless they're super tall like Ganon, or jumping. It does give the normal hitbox hella reach, though.

Situation 1: Going straight off a platform
- You gain a lot of distance in the direction you're headed. On PS2, if you do it correctly headed towards the middle of the stage, your head should end up under the opposite platform. Possibly useful to
- Can be used to edgeguard in a similar fashion to the Vududash. With proper timing on PS2 headed outwards, you'll bounce off the outside ledge of the stage, and be able to doublejump fair outwards before up-Bing to recover.
-> If you do this on battlefield, you can't fair. You will die.

Situation 2: B-reversed off a platform
- Goddam hilarious. You Klaw right through the platform and end up with almost your entire body on the opposite side, facing outwards.
- Probably a great mixup on tall characters that like to keep you stuck on a platform above them. See: Marth, Roy, M2 etc

Situation 3: B-reversed off edge of stage
- This is really weird, but with the right timing, you skate about 2.5x the normal distance you would get from a regular klaw. If you do it just slightly too late, you'll grab edge. If you do it too early, you'll just get the normal distance. I have no idea why this works.
- If you don't b-reverse this, you dun goofed.

Guide for grabbing people from platforms:

If Luigi were on the ground, you couldn't grab him, but the sour Klaw would still hit.

Last edited:

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
I get the timing now. It's not unlike taunt canceling where you use the slight momentum slide from the beginning of the animation to go over a ledge. In this case, the slight momentum is shorter than a taunt cancel

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

I don't have a stream setup or I'd record this stuff. =[

Yeah the timing is much like taunt canceling or the dash-turnaround thing you can do on edges.

Might use photoshop or smth for a mockup, I guess - though you should be able to figure it out from the description, I think. The timing is strict, but I can do it p consistently after not too much practice. Anyway I don't really think this stuff is super applicable, but I think there's something to be said for how fast/far it hits, effectively increasing your threat range.

Last edited:

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Might have some use if it works to hit people platform-camping on PS2. I don't know if it goes that far, though.

Candypants

Smash Cadet
A quick vid of some of the things mentioned in OP's post.

Sorry for potato quality.

youtu.be/zKj8NDq5M7E

Candypants

Smash Cadet
Good stuff candypants, thanks :D

Were you able to get the b reversed one on the edge of the stage?
Just tried, managed to get it a few times.

Can't wait to get good at this stuff and surprise some of the local scene!

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
B-reversing this oddklaw is actually pretty dope. Definitely gonna throw it in my Felix bag-o-trix.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Permission to add to a mini series highlighting character specific stuff, and general goodies? I've done it and creditted two other duders and while my videos are of exceptionally bad quality (and will remain so until I can get a good recording rig) it's kinda fun to do.

Frost | Odds

ofc dude

Once I get a recording setup I'll probably make some sort of Cool Bowser Stuff video, but who cares if there's a bit of overlap

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
I can see potential applications. Next time I have an extended play session I'll see if I can work it in somewhere. Klaw is almost always risky, though, so it's going to be pretty situational at best.

Frost | Odds

It's pretty niche, but important to note that it's impossible for your opponent to differentiate between the different distance klaws before they're already happening. The mixup potential makes platform camping a bunch safer (imo) in matchups where you can do it at all.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
I'll definitely give this a shot, as long as I'm not fighting Marth/Roy/Mewtwo/etc. XD Uptilts...

Frost | Odds

I actually platform camp quite a bit against my roomie's mewtwo. You just have to know when you can and can't do it.

Anyway it seems like a good way to practice this stuff is to run back and forth on platforms, using the 'tipping' animation to pivot rather than normal dashdancing. The timing is pretty much the same for that and the oddklaw

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
I got the timing right away; it's virtually the same as taunt canceling. It's just the difficulty working it in against a very kinetic opponent because while it's a neat surprise for someone who hasn't seen it before, its still not exactly fast. Or safe, for that matter.

Rags

Smash Ace
I don't think hardly anything bowser does isn't risky IMO. This will be a useful tool against characters who like to kick back. Have that much more space to control. Too bad I can't cancel it into a tilt or something. INB4 it would be OP

Candypants

Smash Cadet
Been testing this some more, if you b-reverse is just before you would normally drop off a platform/stage it seems to give the same boost that would normally occur in the air but along the ground. Can anyone else confirm this?

Frost | Odds

Yeah.
Situation 3: B-reversed off edge of stage
- This is really weird, but with the right timing, you skate about 2.5x the normal distance you would get from a regular klaw. If you do it just slightly too late, you'll grab edge. If you do it too early, you'll just get the normal distance. I have no idea why this works.
- If you don't b-reverse this, you dun goofed.
I haven't done that on a platform though, I always drop through.

Rags

Smash Ace
Sooo guys, I've been messing around with it and I LOVE doing this on stages like PS2 or BF. FOr one on BF it it a great way to get in on the opponent because the second you see them drop off the platforms too close, you get in for free and get a few hits in for a followup too. If they're below you, I only got a B reversal in a few times, but this also helps setup for an edgegaurd or an easy stock with a tipped fair or a charged upsmash at high percent. I know charging upsmash isn't ideal, but I find it's so useful!!

Chaos_Blasta

Smash Journeyman
This is one of my most used techs, particularly when I try to fortress hog but instead I side B to my death.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
B reverse Klaw input is Klawing in the direction your facing, then inputting the opposite direction on the control stick so if you were klawing to the right and wanted to b-reverse it you would...

--> B <--

Also...Oddklawing is still in 3.5. HYPE

Last edited:
Top Bottom