• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pros that DON'T use WD?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Masahsi (anaki's younger brother) plays fox and will only wavedash about 1/2 times during a match (not between stocks). He also rarely, if ever, uses a short hop. And it's not that these two have super mindgames (well they do, but so do wavedashing pros), its that they have good strategies, and they don't involve wavedashing much.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Aniki doesn't. (He's the guy from Japan that you mentioned that uses samus and link.)

And no one cares if you can beat someone with or without wavedashing. They only care if you can win.
Emmy for the win. Yea, As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought Aniki, I've only seen him wavedash once, and waveland once.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
you dont NEED to wavedash to be a pro,i dont wavedash(ive never can pull it off),i can own someone with just, spikes,and fastfalls
The first part is semi-correct, though most top pros will wavedash because it opens up more options..

And no Teeman, from what you've posted.. you can't own anyone

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Also, there is no reason NOT to use wavedashing, it is almost unpunishable.. It is less punishable than walking, and you have to moves somehow, it just less effecient. So, when the battle gets close and you need to outmanuever your opponent without getting punished, wavedashing gets the job done. You ever notice that aniki uses characters that have long ranged attacks and he picks when he wants to attack? This may be part of why he never wavedashes, he only attacks when he really needs to, and he gets to choose that time!

Notice that any thread with the word wavedash gets responses quickly..

For all the anti wavedash people, someone tell me a flaw with PROPER wavedashing!

shotafan

Smash Cadet
good peach players don't WD too often cuz it there's no point for her to do it...if ya want names then Mikael is one...

mood4food77

Smash Hero
some peach's use it cause peach is a mindgame ***** pretty much, if you have bad mindgames, you will suck with peach

so, it's used frequently (I think)

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
Cort has the fastest peach on the planet (possibly the best), and he doesn't wd. Only bad peach's wd. And of course Aniki doesn't wd with link, what's he gonna do, trick you by wding back a quarter of an inch into an fsmash derrrr.

shotafan

Smash Cadet
Peach's WD "CAN" be used for mindgames, but all in all its not the best thing to do in tournament play. She has better things to do than do...honestly...

mog87

Smash Ace
wow in freaking 2007 we are still talking about the neccesity wavedashing...ridiculous. Please drop this thread back to 2003-4ish?

mario-man

Smash Lord
Also, there is no reason NOT to use wavedashing, it is almost unpunishable..

For all the anti wavedash people, someone tell me a flaw with PROPER wavedashing!
The only problem with it would be that you can't do it...........O.o. won't go there. xD

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, some good peaches do wavedash, and it is scary knowing they can move and still do dashes and smashes.. Besides, you don't catch that stuff as much as you would think, and one more thing..

If cort was to start wavedashing, it would not hurt him if he did it properly.. It moves him safely, and he can get a good position! But that is his choice not to, based on his playstyle (which I have never seen) He might not benefit at all, but it wouldn't hurt him..

I am not saying he should learn it, if he does good without it all the power to him, just don't exclude something from your playstyle because someone does to, that is their choice, and they probably have some personal reason not to, not because they think it is trash or anything like that...

The Dude

Smash Apprentice
And Aniki does wavedash. Just look him up on youtube.
No he doesn't.
CJ told me that he can't do it perfectly, that's why he never wavedashes (not even with Samus).
You can even see him trying to edgehog with a WD but messing up and ending up doing an air-dodge. He saved himself with a grapple-beam though.

Wavelanding is a different story...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
wow in freaking 2007 we are still talking about the neccesity wavedashing...ridiculous. Please drop this thread back to 2003-4ish?
I hear ya man. I feel the same way.

@ all the Aniki peepz who use him as an excuse:
You aren't Aniki, and your Link or Samus is nowhere near it. It's also dumb for someone of his status to NOT wavedash with Samus, if he doesn't. It just shows how lazy he is, and how much he is limiting himself out of ignorance.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
Well, some good peaches do wavedash, and it is scary knowing they can move and still do dashes and smashes.. Besides, you don't catch that stuff as much as you would think, and one more thing..

If cort was to start wavedashing, it would not hurt him if he did it properly.. It moves him safely, and he can get a good position! But that is his choice not to, based on his playstyle (which I have never seen) He might not benefit at all, but it wouldn't hurt him..

I am not saying he should learn it, if he does good without it all the power to him, just don't exclude something from your playstyle because someone does to, that is their choice, and they probably have some personal reason not to, not because they think it is trash or anything like that...
LMFAO @ the idea of Cort learning to wavedash LOLOLLLOLOL Realize that Cort uses EVERY character and holds some world records in homerun contests and target contests. I'm pretty freaking sure he can wavedash properly whenever he wants to. He can super wavedash with samus at will. He chooses not to with Peach because there IS NO REASON TO.
Maybe this will help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSUWlI2Jis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAWUUEcGoY

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
LMFAO @ the idea of Cort learning to wavedash LOLOLLLOLOL Realize that Cort uses EVERY character and holds some world records in homerun contests and target contests. I'm pretty freaking sure he can wavedash properly whenever he wants to. He can super wavedash with samus at will. He chooses not to with Peach because there IS NO REASON TO.
Maybe this will help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KSUWlI2Jis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BAWUUEcGoY
It is hard to listen to an arguement when they say "LMFAO @ and LOLOLLLOLOL"

Wow, you sure proved your point up there, how about reading mokie's post, it says they are limiting themselves

Don't argue for cort, you are not as good as cort, if he has a good reason I respect that, from him, not you...

Also, he randomly gave me neg rep one time :(

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the topic is "Pros that don't use wavedash".....hmmm, and I said Cort. He's a pro, he mains Peach in tourneys, and he doesn't wavedash. I wasn't defending anything, I was pointing out that you sound really dumb suggesting that Cort wouldn't know how to wavedash (still LMFAO btw). But seriously, good Peach players use float cancelling to move faster and edge hog faster, it's simply superior. And I'm done arguing with you on it, so I guess you could say I'm Phloat cancelling OH SNAP! BURN!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
ummm...lots of good peaches WD. mindgames, gets you some extra distance, do it out of your shield etc. it's good to know how to WD with peach.

peachori

Smash Journeyman
mikeG used to wd like it was going out of style, and it made his peach very speedy. also ikki (japanese peach) uses wd very well. i remember sastopher saying once that if you wd with peach, you're trying too hard, but since then i've learned to use it a bit

and sure, aniki doesnt wd..but who needs wd when you can (kinda maybe) swd!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOawK6qzTQ

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
I'm still pretty sure the topic is "Pros that don't use WD," not "Give random crappy advice on why Peach should wavedash" ^^aimed at krisp.

Did anyone mention Mikael, he's the only other Peach player that I can think of that may be better than Cort. And yes, of course he doesn't wd either (when using Peach).

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
I don't know where you dug those up, but they're ancient, they were playing three stocks. In the first game Mikael wavedashed once, that does not constitute someone USING wavedash in their technique. These matches were probably taken around the time wding was first being used, so Mikael was probably still feeling it out. All the vids I've seen of him fighting Ken years later he doesn't wd at all (and doing it in between stocks doesn't count).
these are from 2006 i believe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=duZYUfxDkTI&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=c_ztojF2TCc&mode=related&search=

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat

Smash Apprentice
The videos you posted are both from JGT, which took place in 2005.

The first video I posted is from late 2006. The three stock thing is a moot point because they're Japanese. We don't know anything about their tourney rule history so we can't say anything. The second one is from JGT. The last one is off of CJ's site, I'm assuming it's 2005 or earlier. It went offline a while though, so I'm not really sure.

You really shouldn't try to prove something when your proof is based off of your own assumptions. Mikael was just testing wavedashing out? You mean the Japanese had just found out about wavedashing in 2005? Have you ever talked to him or played him consistently enough to know that? Have you ever even been on the same continent as him?

Recent-ish vids of Ken vs. Mikael:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7LeKxtk1k4M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hst0UWW9MmA

He uses wavedashing to supplement his dashdancing, to space grabs, and other stuff in those videos. Doesn't spam it, but still makes use of it.

TGM

Smash Lord
If ANY OF YOU were SMART, you would realize that WDing is not needed if you know how to TGM combo.

its sad, this combo has been around since the 1st day of the game and nobody uses it......me want to cry.

Blackadder

Smash Master
At the risk of sounding really stupid:
That TGM combo...
It can't be that effective, I mean the first combo vid (The one I watched)
is just the same clips over and over again, and non of the victims make ANY recovery attempt.

Fall

Smash Ace
Why would they recover when they know as soon as they get back they would get another TGM combo. When you face someone who knows the TGM combo you'll understand.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I don't know how to wavedash and never had someone use wavedashin against me since I only played within my circle of close friends.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a really difficult time learning the TGM combo... I hope I have it down pat in time for the tourney next month.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
The videos you posted are both from JGT, which took place in 2005.

The first video I posted is from late 2006. The three stock thing is a moot point because they're Japanese. We don't know anything about their tourney rule history so we can't say anything. The second one is from JGT. The last one is off of CJ's site, I'm assuming it's 2005 or earlier. It went offline a while though, so I'm not really sure.

You really shouldn't try to prove something when your proof is based off of your own assumptions. Mikael was just testing wavedashing out? You mean the Japanese had just found out about wavedashing in 2005? Have you ever talked to him or played him consistently enough to know that? Have you ever even been on the same continent as him?

Recent-ish vids of Ken vs. Mikael:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7LeKxtk1k4M

He uses wavedashing to supplement his dashdancing, to space grabs, and other stuff in those videos. Doesn't spam it, but still makes use of it.
thankyou for posting more vids of Mikael NOT wding, wave dashing twice in an entire match against Ken (each of which took place while Ken had invincibility from respawn) does not constitute "USE OF WD". Not once did he "wd to grab" or "supplement his dashdance." Watch some vids of KrazyJones or Wife, they USE wd, if you can't see the difference, then you're ********.

And I'm STILL pretty sure the topic is "Pros that don't USE wd," not "Noobs who'd like to point out that a Pro wavedashed one time during a match." So try making an actual contribution to the TOPIC

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat

Smash Apprentice
Get better at watching videos.

1:00 - dashdance to wavedash
1:43 - wavedash backwards to grab
1:53 - another wavedash backwards to grab
2:02 - wavedash to triangle jump to avoid Ken's grab
2:19 - waveland backwards probably to avoid Ken's fair, though unneeded

I don't really feel like going through the other video. Though maybe I should, since you probably need me to walk through it for you.

Anyways, I think I'm done here. It looks like any sort of proof won't do anything good for you. I'll stop trying to prove Mikael does make use of wavedashing by posting examples of him, uh, making use of wavedashing. You can stop trying to prove he doesn't by emphasizing your points in all caps without your points actually meaning anything.

TGM

Smash Lord
I'm having a really difficult time learning the TGM combo... I hope I have it down pat in time for the tourney next month.

i know is a struggle to learn but once its mastered......you will see real results. i promise you will never regret having learned the tgm combo.

it can be done with nearly all characters, so please learn it.

alucard1201

Smash Rookie
i dont rele wavedash at all nd i can still beat ppl that wavedash all the time. it just depends on ur fighting style

FalcoNoJutsu

Smash Apprentice
i agree....wavedashing isn't a must. Its a good way to grab the edge for an edgeguard though. When it comes to mindgamin....i'd rather use dash dancin.....

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
Can't believe how many pros were just heard about, with their exact WD history.

Just kidding. The man(i think) who made the post was just asking about pros (good people). He wasn't asking about random people he hasnt heard of.

On topic, I'm pretty sure (and ive seen in previous posts that Aniki doesnt WD, I'm not sure about any others, but most will.

Slighly off topic. I do know that Masashi doesn't SHFFL, but does he SH at all? Wonder why he doesnt?

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
;)De only thing ppl really need to wavedash for is edgehoggin,wavelandin,mind games, and fox/falco's waveshines, other than that, i don't get da point of wavedashin. u could mess up and b voulnerable if u don't land on the ground from da aerial dodge. i wouldn't really advise anyone to wavedash other than those 4 reasons i mentioned earlier. either way, u guys can do whatever u want, i don't wanna b the one to stop anyone from what they wanna do, i'm just givin out what i think of it! see ya'll

Top Bottom