• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Ruleset for Smash 4 Tournaments

HugS™

Smash Lord
Rule #1: No Items

Rule #2: No dumb*** stages.

Done.

I just skipped 1 year of bull**** upon Smash 4's release, and saved everyone the trouble of hosting stupid ass tournaments with ridiculous rules only to end up at the point we know we're all going to end up at.

For one, a bunch of people think we need to test out stages before we write them off. I have a better system. Here's a quick guide on how to identify a bad stage right off the bat:
1. Is there **** that could kill you without directly coming from your opponent's body? Banned.
2. Can you walk off? Are you serious? Banned
3. Camera can kill you?? **** you, you're ruining tournaments. Banned.
1 year of your life back.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This thread is painful; let me break the ice by being the first to disagree.

Those features on "dumb-***" stages are not unfair. They never have been, and they never will be. I notice you, like most people who insist upon this position, didn't even give any actual arguments about the problems those features have. You just insisted that they're obviously terrible as though somehow that's supposed to be convincing. Well, for a timid fellow, it probably really is convincing since it was a very aggressive way of making the case and of course plenty of people are willing to just parrot your statement which makes disagreeing even scarier since it's going against a crowd, but not all of us are so timid. You've made no argument at all; you've just insisted that we should ban these things because we'll "end up at the point we know we're all going to end up at."

To that end, perhaps we should look at exactly why we're at where we're at. Here's how the stage list for Brawl was formed. We started by having a ton of legal stages. No one ever proved any significant problems with any of them; at best you could say we saw problems with a few of the very fringe stages that were on thin ice from the start and probably needed to be banned (Skyworld and Pirate Ship are the main two I can think of, and Hanenbow was obviously not okay but a few places had it on very early anyway). A vocal minority pushed very hard to ban stuff constantly though. They succeeded in banning this or than in some region or another. Once a stage was banned in one region, suddenly they had the support of all the players in that region. After all, now that stage was unfamiliar, and if you don't know how to play on a stage, it sure seems a lot less fair than it really is. Then this vocal minority was suddenly a lot less of a minority. All those players would pressure national level events to exclude those stages as to be inclusive to players from every region. Generally they did. Then the regions lagging on the ban would adopt it to keep up with the national trend. This repeated over the course of years first claiming the stages that were popular to gripe about and were maybe more "marginal" (Onett was an early victim), silently snagging stages that no one ever picked and therefore didn't notice when they were banned (Distant Planet, it was good knowing you), eventually moving into the popular cps (Norfair my friend, goodbye), sniping the cp stages that were just overwhelmingly obviously fair but that no one picked (PictoChat, you didn't deserve this), and then we're at today. Nowhere along the line did anyone ever prove anything was wrong with these stages, and efforts to that effect grew lesser as time went on. People just insisted they weren't okay, and apparently just insisting the fact over and over again is supposed to convince us (there was a minority that either tried to prove those stages were unfair [unsuccessfully] or formulated a theory of rulemaking that didn't care if the stages were fair to ban them, but let's ignore them for the moment). Even all the actual play on these stages showing they're okay doesn't deter the insistence, and the fact that the people who insist the loudest are those from regions that have the least experience on these stages doesn't seem to give anyone pause.

So yeah, we do need to skip a year or more of stupidity; I agree. However, all I'm convinced of is that we need to stop the moving goalposts that allow for this pattern. We could just allow a bunch of stages that fit the broad bounds of playability (no loops, nothing crazy-random, etc.) and then not entertain the idea of banning them later. We just keep them on forever unless someone can decisively prove that they have to go which will not be done in the form of people just insisting on bans over and over again as some form of non-argument that's supposed to convince people. We just insist upon really rigorous proof for rule changes, and honestly we know that we're extremely unlikely to see that, so we can just have a static ruleset that actually allows a wide berth of stages which is incidentally in accordance with what most people really wanted in the first place anyway.

If you want to disagree with what I just said, a good approach would be to show us the issues a bit more directly. You competed in MLG events for years that allowed stages such as Poke Floats. Have some match vids on hand that show sets "ruined" by these stages, ideally sets involving good players who knew the stages extremely well? That alone wouldn't really be sufficient to convince me or anyone who actually disagrees with you, but it would certainly be a good starting point for a case as opposed to just being aggressive in insisting on your position without backing it up. Following with an argument with logic, reason, objective gameplay facts, clear theory, etc. would also work. Just telling me I'm wrong is not going to convince me, and hopefully I'm far from the only one not convinced here.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410

Those features on "dumb-***" stages are not unfair. They never have been, and they never will be. I notice you, like most people who insist upon this position, didn't even give any actual arguments about the problems those features have. You just insisted that they're obviously terrible as though somehow that's supposed to be convincing. Well, for a timid fellow, it probably really is convincing since it was a very aggressive way of making the case and of course plenty of people are willing to just parrot your statement which makes disagreeing even scarier since it's going against a crowd, but not all of us are so timid. You've made no argument at all; you've just insisted that we should ban these things because we'll "end up at the point we know we're all going to end up at."

To that end, perhaps we should look at exactly why we're at where we're at. Here's how the stage list for Brawl was formed. We started by having a ton of legal stages. No one ever proved any significant problems with any of them; at best you could say we saw problems with a few of the very fringe stages that were on thin ice from the start and probably needed to be banned (Skyworld and Pirate Ship are the main two I can think of, and Hanenbow was obviously not okay but a few places had it on very early anyway). A vocal minority pushed very hard to ban stuff constantly though. They succeeded in banning this or than in some region or another. Once a stage was banned in one region, suddenly they had the support of all the players in that region. After all, now that stage was unfamiliar, and if you don't know how to play on a stage, it sure seems a lot less fair than it really is. Then this vocal minority was suddenly a lot less of a minority. All those players would pressure national level events to exclude those stages as to be inclusive to players from every region. Generally they did. Then the regions lagging on the ban would adopt it to keep up with the national trend. This repeated over the course of years first claiming the stages that were popular to gripe about and were maybe more "marginal" (Onett was an early victim), silently snagging stages that no one ever picked and therefore didn't notice when they were banned (Distant Planet, it was good knowing you), eventually moving into the popular cps (Norfair my friend, goodbye), sniping the cp stages that were just overwhelmingly obviously fair but that no one picked (PictoChat, you didn't deserve this), and then we're at today. Nowhere along the line did anyone ever prove anything was wrong with these stages, and efforts to that effect grew lesser as time went on. People just insisted they weren't okay, and apparently just insisting the fact over and over again is supposed to convince us (there was a minority that either tried to prove those stages were unfair [unsuccessfully] or formulated a theory of rulemaking that didn't care if the stages were fair to ban them, but let's ignore them for the moment). Even all the actual play on these stages showing they're okay doesn't deter the insistence, and the fact that the people who insist the loudest are those from regions that have the least experience on these stages doesn't seem to give anyone pause.

So yeah, we do need to skip a year or more of stupidity; I agree. However, all I'm convinced of is that we need to stop the moving goalposts that allow for this pattern. We could just allow a bunch of stages that fit the broad bounds of playability (no loops, nothing crazy-random, etc.) and then not entertain the idea of banning them later. We just keep them on forever unless someone can decisively prove that they have to go which will not be done in the form of people just insisting on bans over and over again as some form of non-argument that's supposed to convince people. We just insist upon really rigorous proof for rule changes, and honestly we know that we're extremely unlikely to see that, so we can just have a static ruleset that actually allows a wide berth of stages which is incidentally in accordance with what most people really wanted in the first place anyway.

If you want to disagree with what I just said, a good approach would be to show us the issues a bit more directly. You competed in MLG events for years that allowed stages such as Poke Floats. Have some match vids on hand that show sets "ruined" by these stages, ideally sets involving good players who knew the stages extremely well? That alone wouldn't really be sufficient to convince me or anyone who actually disagrees with you, but it would certainly be a good starting point for a case as opposed to just being aggressive in insisting on your position without backing it up. Following with an argument with logic, reason, objective gameplay facts, clear theory, etc. would also work. Just telling me I'm wrong is not going to convince me, and hopefully I'm far from the only one not convinced here.
Gotta agree.

A new Smash Bros game is a sucessor, not a sequel. Same mechanics and what not, but it can be totally different (Melee to 64 and Brawl to Melee), and this can include rules. If we don't experiment, we can never find out what works with the new game. Maybe there are no more chain grabs? Maybe wavedashing is back? Maybe they included some new mechanic? There are a ton of things that can make a legal stage illegal and an illegal stage legal that we JUST can't find out till the game is released and we experiment with it. If a mechanic makes a stage broken, then I vote that the stage should be removed (Brawl and the chaingrabs on stages with walls) but until we play the game A WHOLE LOT OF TIME to discover both the new mechanics and advanced techniques (probably 6 months - 1 year) we should hold off banning stages UNLESS they are blantantly broken (things like WarioWare come to mind, there is NOTHING that can save that stage because of how horrendous the minigames-idea is for a decent match, I have had casual people rage at this stage as well)

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
You forgot only Hammers and Brinstar Depths in "Single button mode."

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Smash 4 will be running with the standard 2 stocks per game amirite?

SSB64 - 5 Stocks
SSBM - 4 Stocks
SSBB - 3 Stocks
SSBS4 - 2 Stocks

Smash 6 will be a game of who can press the Start Button first!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Amazing Ampharos was, well, amazing. I have almost nothing to add other then this:

A shame on those blatantly supporting this and also not providing any opinions. You can say the other side is 100% wrong without proof? If this is the case, you are 100% wrong. And I don't need proof.

These kinds of horrible attitudes taint smash in the worst way and makes our entire community look bad. If you want to have this mindset like in the OP, feel free, I can't stop you. But I will ask instead of being ignorant, belligerent, rude, and downright making yourself look stupid, you present your argument succinctly and politely. Then reasonable people may listen.

Groose

Smash Champion
I'm a casual, and I've learned it's better to stay out of competitive based threads until I learn more of it.

Until then-

I'm not exactly a casual... and I still consider it best to stay out of competitive rule making threads. Just tell me how we're gonna play before I pick my character and save me the year of arguing.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Rule #1: No Items

Rule #2: No dumb*** stages.

Done.

I just skipped 1 year of bull**** upon Smash 4's release, and saved everyone the trouble of hosting stupid *** tournaments with ridiculous rules only to end up at the point we know we're all going to end up at.

For one, a bunch of people think we need to test out stages before we write them off. I have a better system. Here's a quick guide on how to identify a bad stage right off the bat:
1. Is there **** that could kill you without directly coming from your opponent's body? Banned.
2. Can you walk off? Are you serious? Banned
3. Camera can kill you?? **** you, you're ruining tournaments. Banned.
1 year of your life back.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Idk about Melee, but MK was the main reason for banning stages in Brawl. If there's a MK-like character in the next game, I'd much rather have in banned instead of banning all stages he does good on, and banning half of his ATs with additional rules. Doing this definitely didn't help Brawl's reputation :/

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Well, for a timid fellow, it probably really is convincing since it was a very aggressive way of making the case and of course plenty of people are willing to just parrot your statement which makes disagreeing even scarier since it's going against a crowd, but not all of us are so timid.
AA basically just called everyone in this thread a little b****.
And he's right.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Idk about Melee, but MK was the main reason for banning stages in Brawl. If there's a MK-like character in the next game, I'd much rather have in banned instead of banning all stages he does good on, and banning half of his ATs with additional rules. Doing this definitely didn't help Brawl's reputation :/
I wouldn't say he's the main reason.

Plenty of stages were banned for a number of reasons other than him.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
AA said what I was going to anyway, so I'll just leave it at that. No, Hugs, we're not just going to roll over and gut the game because you're too much of a pansy to actually learn the stages and mechanics. Stop being a child and learn the damn game.

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
I think it's better to ban a bunch of "bad" stages first, then make them some of them legal after the year or so of testing. Better safe than sorry. OP was just a suggestion, and I felt no need to get angry or start arguing.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I think it's better to ban a bunch of "bad" stages first, then make them some of them legal after the year or so of testing. Better safe than sorry. OP was just a suggestion, and I felt no need to get angry or start arguing.

You must not know how insanely difficult it is to unban things. Once you ban a stage it almost NEVER is unbanned no mater what you do. I can't actually think of a time when a banned stage was unbanned.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Hugs, You're like the best Samus main ever and awesome for it, but no man.

I mean hell, we live in a time where people want Final destination of all stages to be a CP/banned, so we need to step back and cut the bulls***.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hugs, You're like the best Samus main ever and awesome for it, but no man.

I mean hell, we live in a time where people want Final destination of all stages to be a CP/banned, so we need to step back and cut the bulls***.

Woah... Never seen FD BANNED arguments, but CP yes I have. Where are people arguing it be banned? Even I won't agree to it.

Hong

The Strongest
If we could have a system where, say, a Beam Sword always appears at 60 second intervals in the centre of the stage, you would find the competitive community more receptive to the idea. As it stands, even in free for alls, I don't like it when explosives appear right in-front of me as I attack. I am all open for silly shenanigans, but I like to feel like a player was responsible for my death. That said, no one will be suitable for competitive play until at least two months into release. I suggest we take the time to really feel out the product. I can understand the desire to skip painful politics and argument, but as someone who is still playing SSB64 and SSBM today I still feel a bit cramped with the stage selection.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Fox is the reason for like 75% of the banned stages in Melee too.
He's the original circle camper, and the reason RC and Poke floats and Corneria were banned, and the reason every walk-off stage was banned.

Even if people don't agree with the approach to rulesets the OP proposed, that's how the game's going to end up anyway, I don't see any reason to delay the inevitable.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
unless of course the creators actually work on the stages good enough that-say it ain't so-characters don't have any game breaking bull on them.

I mean look at 64-you don't exactly see Pikachu being the reason for stage bans, now do ya? the only stage banned because of a character there was Saffron city,and that was only because that character(Ness) had a horribly unfair disadvantage there (so bad they had to make a double stage strike rule just for him at a point.)

Hong

The Strongest
He's the original circle camper, and the reason RC and Poke floats and Corneria were banned, and the reason every walk-off stage was banned.
Ah. So that is why people stopped playing Pokefloats. :/ A shame.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion

Even if people don't agree with the approach to rulesets the OP proposed, that's how the game's going to end up anyway, I don't see any reason to delay the inevitable.
What you and the OP don't get is that we don't know how the game will end up anyway, which is the whole reason not to ban things day one. You're making an assumption based off of absolutely no data because we don't even have a playable demo of the game yet, but you expect the entire community to just roll over and assume the same thing you do? That's not science, and ruleset creation and ban lists are sciences, even if they are approximated ones that are still contested.

We're going to do this the right way, the scientific way, and that means being patient and, yes, maybe playing on a stage that *gasp* makes you control space in non-traditional ways! The horror.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Well, not having that attitude might change things, you never know.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
What you and the OP don't get is that we don't know how the game will end up anyway
History repeats itself
Look at how the stagelist evolved for Melee
Look at how the stagelist evolved for Brawl
I see no reason for Smash 4 to be any different
You're making an assumption based off of absolutely no data because we don't even have a playable demo of the game yet, but you expect the entire community to just roll over and assume the same thing you do? That's not science, and ruleset creation and ban lists are sciences, even if they are approximated ones that are still contested.
Absolutely no data? Holy **** we have 3 smash games worth of data. 64 isn't that relevant I suppose, but the legal stages there have no walk-offs at least (and the main stage in dreamland, a battlefield like stage).
I highly doubt that Smash 4's mechanics will be THAT DIFFERENT that stages that are basically the same as banned stages in Melee/Brawl will be legal for any extended period of time in the game's lifespan.

We're going to do this the right way, the scientific way, and that means being patient and, yes, maybe playing on a stage that *gasp* makes you control space in non-traditional ways! The horror.
We're going to do this the way we want, rofl.
Contrary to your ideals, most players don't want to deal with stages putting people in unavoidable disadvantaged positions, as it detracts from competitive play (why bother approaching when you can just wait for Rainbow Cruise to force your opponent above you)

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
History repeats itself
Look at how the stagelist evolved for Melee
Look at how the stagelist evolved for Brawl
I see no reason for Smash 4 to be any different
And if I took that logic to any lab in the world, I'd be laughed out of the room. Tell me where in the world, other than politics, I can go to a group of rational people and try to prove a claim with the words, "well, history repeats itself, right?" and NOTHING else. Nowhere, that's where. To you, this may just be a game, but to others, this is a livelihood, and to plenty of people, this is a multi-thousand dollar a year industry unto itself. So, you're going to have to do better than "well, history repeats itself" when proving a point.

Absolutely no data? Holy **** we have 3 smash games worth of data. 64 isn't that relevant I suppose, but the legal stages there have no walk-offs at least (and the main stage in dreamland, a battlefield like stage).
I highly doubt that Smash 4's mechanics will be THAT DIFFERENT that stages that are basically the same as banned stages in Melee/Brawl will be legal for any extended period of time in the game's lifespan.
Oh, so you've played SSB4? How is it? Was the E3 demo fun? How's Sakurai, I hear he's a chill dude. Oh, wait... what's that? I couldn't hear you. You didn't play it? And in fact, even if you did, it's in an pre-alpha build, so any info gleaned from it would be irrelevant? That's what I thought.

You have NO DATA on Smash 4. None at all, nothing concrete. Sure, you have tons of data on 3 other games. Too bad Sakurai isn't rereleasing those games, though. I'm not one of those people who rolls over on command when you say that SSB64-SSBB data counts, because it doesn't, Different game, different data. Try again, though.

We're going to do this the way we want, rofl.
Contrary to your ideals, most players don't want to deal with stages putting people in unavoidable disadvantaged positions, as it detracts from competitive play (why bother approaching when you can just wait for Rainbow Cruise to force your opponent above you)
Oh, see, that's funny, because no one actually has ever proved that is the case. First of all, no one is talking about circle camping. No one is talking about game-breaking glitches, either. Second, there are plenty of games with matchups between characters that are 100 - 0. It just so happens that Smash is a game where the stage counts as a character. So, if there are stages with 100 - 0 matchups, well, tough. Don't like it? Play a different game. Marvel players say that about infinites: don't like TAC infinites? Play a different game. Same concept. So, sometimes, players are put into 100 - 0 situations because of their choices. Learn a different character / different stage, or play another game. Again, deal with it. Don't like Rainbow Cruise cheese? Play a character immune to it, don't play Ganon. But, sure as hell don't ban the stage because poor Ganon / poor Hugs doesn't like it. -_-

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Jack, you are way too idealistic.
1. There is no reasonable, objective way of determining stage lists. Anything goes, as they say. There is no real reason to favour a large stage list over a small one, it's just preference.
2. Were you around for the melee to brawl transition? Your join date would indicate not, so I'll explain - people said the exact same things about Brawl that you're saying about Smash 4, and look what happened. What will be different this time? Sure, we don't have 'data' on Smash 4, but we sure as hell have data on transitioning from one Smash game to another.
3. The idea that more stages = more competitive game completely ignores the influence of the player base; forcing people to play a game that they don't want to simply isn't going to work. It doesn't matter if we don't need a LGL, or a certain stage doesn't need to be banned - you need super strong campaigning to get players to like the stage, not to prove that it's competitively viable - do you think that is going to happen?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice

I agree. I really like PictoChat, it's my favorite stage. I'm against banning any stage but ones like Rainbow Cruise (but keep ones like Poke Floats and Mushroomy Kingdom) and Spear Pillar, which is honestly a bullsh*t stage because of how it screws with your controls, which takes away from the match. Rainbow cruise is, in my opinion, unfair to characters like Ganondorf. Mind you, I don't play as him, but the stage just has too much going on. If objects didn't fade in, then I would be ok with it, but the in ability to advance to an area that has a platform because it hasn't spawned yet gets really frustrating.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
1. There is no reasonable, objective way of determining stage lists. Anything goes, as they say. There is no real reason to favour a large stage list over a small one, it's just preference.
It's sad but this is sorta true.

I know I want a larger list myself, but if no one would come to an event I hosted EVER I'd HAVE to change. But there are definitely reasons to be in favor of one or the other, each has its pros and cons. I wish smashers would look at those and decide which pros vs which cons were more important to them instead of just stagelist sizes. They may find their opinions change if they did.

2. Were you around for the melee to brawl transition? Your join date would indicate not, so I'll explain - people said the exact same things about Brawl that you're saying about Smash 4, and look what happened. What will be different this time? Sure, we don't have 'data' on Smash 4, but we sure as hell have data on transitioning from one Smash game to another.
The bad mentality behind some banning of stages that Amazing Ampharos mentioned earlier is something we could closely look at and try to prevent, that WOULD make it different then before.

3. The idea that more stages = more competitive game completely ignores the influence of the player base; forcing people to play a game that they don't want to simply isn't going to work. It doesn't matter if we don't need a LGL, or a certain stage doesn't need to be banned - you need super strong campaigning to get players to like the stage, not to prove that it's competitively viable - do you think that is going to happen?

It SHOULDN'T be this way but sadly it is... Though more stages = higher skill ceiling = more competitive may be a worthy argument.[/quote][/quote]

Ghostbone

Smash Master
And if I took that logic to any lab in the world, I'd be laughed out of the room. Tell me where in the world, other than politics, I can go to a group of rational people and try to prove a claim with the words, "well, history repeats itself, right?" and NOTHING else. Nowhere, that's where. To you, this may just be a game, but to others, this is a livelihood, and to plenty of people, this is a multi-thousand dollar a year industry unto itself. So, you're going to have to do better than "well, history repeats itself" when proving a point.
Are you serious? you have to be trolling
Just as an example, have you never heard of economics, and how economic theory works, that's the answer to your question of what group of rational people you can talk to.
We have two cases of smash already where the same thing has happened, for similar reasons, which are bound to still appear in the next game.

Oh, so you've played SSB4? How is it? Was the E3 demo fun? How's Sakurai, I hear he's a chill dude. Oh, wait... what's that? I couldn't hear you. You didn't play it? And in fact, even if you did, it's in an pre-alpha build, so any info gleaned from it would be irrelevant? That's what I thought.

You have NO DATA on Smash 4. None at all, nothing concrete. Sure, you have tons of data on 3 other games. Too bad Sakurai isn't rereleasing those games, though. I'm not one of those people who rolls over on command when you say that SSB64-SSBB data counts, because it doesn't, Different game, different data. Try again, though.
I was right, you're trolling, or stupid.
Previous smash games are data, the gameplay won't be that different.

Sure, it's possible next smash will end up being a children's card game where stages are just for show in the background and thus have no reason to be banned.

But I'm pretty sure it's going to be a fighting game with similar mechanics to Brawl and Melee, walk-off stages will be banned for the same reason, moving stages will be banned for the same reason, stages with hazards will probably be banned too, for the same reasons.

Oh, see, that's funny, because no one actually has ever proved that is the case. First of all, no one is talking about circle camping. No one is talking about game-breaking glitches, either. Second, there are plenty of games with matchups between characters that are 100 - 0. It just so happens that Smash is a game where the stage counts as a character. So, if there are stages with 100 - 0 matchups, well, tough. Don't like it? Play a different game. Marvel players say that about infinites: don't like TAC infinites? Play a different game. Same concept. So, sometimes, players are put into 100 - 0 situations because of their choices. Learn a different character / different stage, or play another game. Again, deal with it. Don't like Rainbow Cruise cheese? Play a character immune to it, don't play Ganon. But, sure as hell don't ban the stage because poor Ganon / poor Hugs doesn't like it. -_-
Or I can play the smash game everyone else wants to play rather than the one that forces players into disadvantaged positions their opponent didn't earn, which is the game you and a few other people are promoting.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Or I can play the smash game everyone else wants to play rather than the one that forces players into disadvantaged positions their opponent didn't earn, which is the game you and a few other people are promoting.
I think it's obvious that "everyone else" doesn't just want to play your way or these discussions never would happen.

Back up your statements, pros and cons of your system vs pros and cons of the other. Let's compare them then see which may be better. Use some data, do something to back up your argument other then "we like it more".

We all probably know some ruleset making is subjective, but you need to actually back up why you used your subjectivity. He makes a fair point here, I even made the same point in another thread talking to you specifically. What makes smash special where it can magically ignore the rules of other fighting games, then expect to be accepted in the fighting game world?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, I get that a lot. Tell me that someone shouldn't be idealistic, though. You say it like it's a bad thing to have ideals. Also, I'm a philosopher by trade. Having ideals is sort of my job.

Sure, there is. "Everything is allowed until it is determined that it either stops gameplay entirely or has no counters and thus becomes the only viable option, in which case it is banned." There, done. Now, it's just finding those things, which only happens by playing with them.

Yes, I was there for the transition (I joined before the game was even released, dude). I'm sorry, Grim, but I'm the last person who's going to accept a self-fulfilling prophesy as evidence in a debate. "Oh, we said we would ban things and did! Look how perfectly we predicted the future!" Meanwhile, we're the MOST biased people in determining if that prediction is true. You predict the character list, then you've done something pretty impressive. You predict actions that you, yourself, not only decide to take, but decide how to take? That's not prediction, that's you doing what you said you were going to do. You approach the game with a ban-happy mindset, you're going to ban things; you just taught me the most obvious thing in the world, awesome. But, just because you banned something, that doesn't mean it was worthy of a ban. Surely, you don't think that we made 100% perfect decisions with Brawl. If you do, you're irrational, because no one is perfect. You don't, then you agree with AA and me that there are things we could do better.

We're just saying that a change in mindset really facilitates the whole "doing better next time" thing.

It works for Marvel. How many people WANT to play Chris G's stupid ass Morrigan? Filipino Champ's incredibly cheap Phoenix? Answer: no one. But, now Chris G's on the decline because people were adults and found out a counter, even if that counter took months to find. I got the joy of seeing that stupid smirk wiped off F-Champ's face by a relative newcomer, which means that sometimes, the traditional wisdom is flat-out stupid. I'm not asking people to like anything. When you play at the top level, it's not because you like it: it's because you're the best, and you're willing to do anything (within the rules) to win. Sometimes those things match up, and we try our best to make it so they do, but sometimes games have unfun things in them.

Someone who really loves the game works past those things and maybe has a hand in finding technology that turns something unfun into something fun. Once we get a viable counter to Chris G's Morrigan, then fighting him will be fun, because it will be (as Yipes likes to say) a real match.

Why is everyone here so damn impatient? Jesus, are you all 15 year olds with no concept of delayed gratification? Take your damn time, smell the freaking roses. -_-

Top Bottom