• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project X Zone 2: Brave New World

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I got no plans to get the game mainly because I haven't finished the first one at this point. I don't know when I'll be able to complete it nor if I even have the time to do so since I haven't been using my 3DS much these days.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I got no plans to get the game mainly because I haven't finished the first one at this point. I don't know when I'll be able to complete it nor if I even have the time to do so since I haven't been using my 3DS much these days.
From what I hear, it's worth just getting the sequel. From personal experience, PxZ1 drags on forever, and it's like there's no real story connection.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILER
So, who here was surprised by Reiji's proposal to Xiaomu? The whole thing felt like an S-Rank Support in Awakening.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Apparently the creator of the Project X Zone series has expressed interests in making a third Project X Zone game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Apparently the creator of the Project X Zone series has expressed interests in making a third Project X Zone game.
Well, I hope so. We can't rest until we truly add Nintendo to the company mix (like we pretty much have in Smash already)! And besides...

In the final battle, the four remaining major antagonists actually each represent one company, Kamuz for Namco, Pyron for Capcom, Ranmaru for Sega and Metal Face for Nintendo. The last one's particularly interesting as it's a pretty significant position for being a "guest" character.

There's also been talk about how they tried to get Bayonetta in the game, but Kamiya refused because he wanted to do a Dante/Bayonetta crossover on his terms, though he kind of regrets that now.

Twewy

Smash Lord
#BringBackFrank

And also add some Star Fox in. Fox/Wolf with Assault stuff would be 10/10.

Twewy

Smash Lord
But then we'd be missing out on that Namco/Nintendo history and the potential for a 10/10 Star Wolf remix.

Twewy

Smash Lord
If there were a Project X Zone 3, which characters would you guys like to see?
Frank West and Chuck Greene
Alex and Laura
Lucatiel and Benhart with a Solaire Solo Unit (Even if Souls isn't owned by Namco I still really want it)
Fox/Wolf (Assault)
Dragon's Dogma reps, preferrably default Arisen and Rook
Bayonetta and Jeanne
Jack and Sam Gideon
And bring Square Enix into this thing. How dare they not have a crossover about pairs and not include some The World Ends with You reps.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Frank West and Chuck Greene
Alex and Laura
Lucatiel and Benhart with a Solaire Solo Unit (Even if Souls isn't owned by Namco I still really want it)
Fox/Wolf (Assault)
Dragon's Dogma reps, preferrably default Arisen and Rook
Bayonetta and Jeanne
Jack and Sam Gideon
And bring Square Enix into this thing. How dare they not have a crossover about pairs and not include some The World Ends with You reps.
Personally, I'd try to make some of these pairings a little more creative than that. I mean, c'mon, Bayonetta and Jeanne are almost literally identical in moveset. Even Ryu and Ken, for all of their similarities are still distinct enough.

My pairings are as follows:

• Fox/Chun-Li (They both have missing, presumed dead fathers and similar fighting techniques)
  • Wolf/John Talbain (Darkstalkers)
  • Mario/Ken
  • Luigi/Erica Fontaine (for Clumsy-fu)
  • Bayonetta/Dante (of course)
  • Kirby/Ristar
  • Sir Arthur/Takamaru
  • Prince Sable/Tarosuke
  • Nana/Ace Cadet (Monster Hunter 4U)
  • Ciel/Ace Commander
  • Pit/Valkyrie
  • Peach/Morrigan
  • Firebrand (Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest)/Charizard
  • Donkey Kong/Blanca
  • Diddy Kong/Felicia
  • Ganondorf/Demitri
  • Ike/Zero
  • B.B. Hood/Villager or Duck Hunt
  • Olimar/Tron Bonne
  • Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising)/Devillotte
  • Captain Falcon/Captain Commando
  • Tiki/some incarnation of Ryu from Breath of Fire
  • Cynthia (with Garchomp)/Steven (with Metagross)
And so on. Good candidates for Solo units would be Falco, Meta Knight, Yoshi, Dark Pit, Mewtwo and the aforementioned Jeanne. Of course, in a perfect world we'd have (limited) customization of pairs so that we wouldn't have to stick with just one pairing, but whaddya gonna do.

Also, we can't forget to add Tom Nook to the cast of crazy shopkeepers.

Twewy

Smash Lord
The problem with a lot of your Nintendo picks is that they don't meet the requirements for being in PxZ (Must be human or humanoid, not too cartoon-y). Plus a lot of your picks are already paired with partners in both PxZs (except Chunners, she's all over the place) Though admittedly I wanted Fox and Wolf, so...

Bayo/Dante or Bayo/Jeanne is obvious however. Especially since Kamiya regrets not allowing Bayo in 2.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The problem with a lot of your Nintendo picks is that they don't meet the requirements for being in PxZ (Must be human or humanoid, not too cartoon-y). Plus a lot of your picks are already paired with partners in both PxZs (except Chunners, she's all over the place) Though admittedly I wanted Fox and Wolf, so...

Bayo/Dante or Bayo/Jeanne is obvious however. Especially since Kamiya regrets not allowing Bayo in 2.
A guy can dream, all right? And besides, I hear the spiritual predecessor Namco X Capcom had Klonoa as a playable character, so who's to say they won't go back to things like that?

I think the bigger obstacle to most Nintendo characters getting in X Zone is their family-friendly nature clashing with the rest of the game.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Has it ever been set in stone that realistically proportioned/non-anthropomorphic characters were the only types of characters that can appear in a Project X Zone game?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Has it ever been set in stone that realistically proportioned/non-anthropomorphic characters couldn't appear in a Project X Zone game?
It's more of an unstated rule of thumb for playable characters. Whether it's for stylistic or convenience reasons I'm not sure, but there's no reason it can't change. As I said already, Namco X Capcom had characters like Klonoa and Tarosuke playable, and the latter isn't exactly what you'd call realistically proportioned.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Namco x Capcom has what TVTropes calls "Early Installment Weirdness", in my opinion. It wasn't even supposed to have Capcom characters at first, and it actually shows with the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Namco x Capcom has what TVTropes calls "Early Installment Weirdness", in my opinion. It wasn't even supposed to have Capcom characters at first, and it actually shows with the game.
Even so, the game is still prominently referenced in X Zone 2 so it's not like the developers would rather just forget the game exists.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Of course not, the "Cross" series references each other all the time, there were even references in the first. Reiji and Xiaomu (and KOS-MOS) showed up in Endless Frontier as well.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Finally decided to get the game. Am I the only one here who's utterly disappointed about the unit restrictions? Like, in the first PXZ you could bring all of your units into each chapter. This time, the number of units in the roster fell short of one pair yet we still have to pick as if this was a Fire Emblem.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Finally decided to get the game. Am I the only one here who's utterly disappointed about the unit restrictions? Like, in the first PXZ you could bring all of your units into each chapter. This time, the number of units in the roster fell short of one pair yet we still have to pick as if this was a Fire Emblem.
Having all your units all the time was part of what made battles in the original horrendously long to complete. Limiting them allows the developers to make smaller, more digestible maps.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I'm about to jump into the final stage.

It really feels redundant to have only a handful of characters on the field. You see their faces for one hour straight each chapter, whereas in PXZ1 you didn't have to worry about feeling like "hey it feels like I've seen this exact battle animation and sprites thirty seconds ago".

And I know the first episode was all about getting warped to places and worlds unknown and meeting one pair of characters that would join the party and whatnot, but the plot eventually moved forward and adopted a good pace, while in PXZ2, it's an unending drag all the way. The only relevant elements that help disrupt the boredom are the AIDA virus, Sigma's return (which eventually becomes redundant as well because he's all talk despite having the greatest ambitions among the villains), and Pyron showing up very rarely, but when he does, he makes sure to drop little hints and remind us that there's something interesting to unveil behind Ouma and Shadaloo's actions.

Game's too easy by the way.

What are the odds of Project X Zone 3 - or a new entry in the 'Cross' series - now that two of its core directors have left Monolith Soft?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Look... neither game has what we'd call a great story (it's a wonder that they're even as coherent as they are), and they're BOTH really easy, especially if you spam items. But at least 2 doesn't force me to perform an entire attack sequence just to kill a single of the weakest enemies, and actually does encourage you to consider what moves you should or shouldn't use at any given moment, instead of repeating the same attack routine with any given pair against every single enemy (not to mention making the timing for them brainless with unbreakable cross hits).

Top Bottom