• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Proposal: We can make custom moves fast, easy, and legal

otter

Smash Ace
Some great points from you guys, but I feel like its strange to make custom moves the absolute top priority no matter how difficult it is, and then say that people who want unorthodox builds are expendable.

Self expression is the only redeeming factor about custom moves, from my perspective.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
So, quick question about transferring moves from 3ds to wii u. Does the transfer stay, or do you have to transfer every time you want to play?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Some great points from you guys, but I feel like its strange to make custom moves the absolute top priority no matter how difficult it is, and then say that people who want unorthodox builds are expendable.

Self expression is the only redeeming factor about custom moves, from my perspective.
Who said it was top priority beyond just this specific movement?

And who is saying unorthodox builds are expendable? Have you even been paying attention to the worry expressed for ganondorf?

So, quick question about transferring moves from 3ds to wii u. Does the transfer stay, or do you have to transfer every time you want to play?
They're permanent until you choose to delete them.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Alright! This justifies me spending time doing trophy rush on 3DS with Pikachu!
Trophy rush is woefully slow to me even with gimmick hitters. I'm pretty sure the home screen trick with classic mode is much faster. (even on 7.0 or so)

But good luck. You might also want to check if anyone in your scene has a powersave, cause they can just apply the "unlock customs" code for you.

Anyone in the md/va area can just contact me if they want that.

Last edited:

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Trophy rush is woefully slow to me even with gimmick hitters. I'm pretty sure the home screen trick with classic mode is much faster. (even on 7.0 or so)
I don't know if it's just me, but my Home button is super slow. At best, the most i've managed to get were 2 customs each run. I will say that my sense of sight and rhythm is good enough to actually hit the slots correctly about 70% of the time. The problem though is that the contents of the slots are too varied.

Trophy rush is easy because in 2:30, I can get about 3-5 customs. It's all about getting chains, which is easy with character with huge vertical hitboxes like Pikachu or Palutena. Also, I get about 20-30 trophies. 2 birds with 1 stone, I say.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I don't know if it's just me, but my Home button is super slow. At best, the most i've managed to get were 2 customs each run. I will say that my sense of sight and rhythm is good enough to actually hit the slots correctly about 70% of the time. The problem though is that the contents of the slots are too varied.

Trophy rush is easy because in 2:30, I can get about 3-5 customs. It's all about getting chains, which is easy with character with huge vertical hitboxes like Pikachu or Palutena. Also, I get about 20-30 trophies. 2 birds with 1 stone, I say.
Is your 3ds updated? The new home screen button should be fairly fast.

It takes some getting used to but essentially you use the home screen to "pause" the slot at a certain point where you can see the color of the next possible prize, then you mash A.

But if trophy rush works for you, go for it.

Also, gonna get back to updating this soon. No one contacted me for editing rights so I'll just try to grind it out myself for now.

Last edited:

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Is your 3ds updated? The new home screen button should be fairly fast.

It takes some getting used to but essentially you use the home screen to "pause" the slot at a certain point where you can see the color of the next possible prize, then you mash A.
It's updated and stuff. I just think that my 3DS is particularly slow for some reason.

I also know that the trick works. The problem I have is that the slots are unreliable in terms of content. I've done several runs where I've only had 1-2 slots have customs on them.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Lucario stalling under stage against a Megaman charging his Fsmash on stage is like a video version of a strawman argument.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616

I get that and I do think it may be a lot of trouble to go through sometimes. My biggest reason for being interested however, is that it may attract people, such as myself, who otherwise would not be interested in the competitive scene. I don't know about you but since we have a chance to expand the the community, I am going to try and push for it.

Maybe it will be a **** up, but I can't tell. From what I understand nothing like this has happened before.

Last edited:

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
A lot of players have been using customs interchangeably based on specific matchups. They don't follow a specific preset but instead change out their options based on what best plays against the opponent at hand. Because there are so many different matchups, options, and preferences, it'd be arguably impossible to reach only several standard builds per character.

Selecting customs doesn't really take that long. Just held a tourney and just had the contestants select them immediately after their character choices. Worked out fine.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
A lot of players have been using customs interchangeably based on specific matchups. They don't follow a specific preset but instead change out their options based on what best plays against the opponent at hand. Because there are so many different matchups, options, and preferences, it'd be arguably impossible to reach only several standard builds per character.

Selecting customs doesn't really take that long. Just held a tourney and just had the contestants select them immediately after their character choices. Worked out fine.
But even considering that, "counter" sets generally don't threaten the space. A lot of customs are just plain ass and unusable/inferior no matter the matchup.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman

Well selecting them isn't the problem at this moment, that's been pretty much proven. This project is trying to solve the issue of having them unlocked sooner. We hopefully won't need this once enough people have them all unlocked.

It really is difficult to find a small bunch of presets that fits everyone's needs, (trust me, I've been in the Ganon boards) but it's a decent temporary solution.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Well, if anyone would like to just send me their 3ds cartridge to unlock all the customs on with my powersave, I can do that. For free.

Obviously giving a rando online your stuff is iffy. Can provide my ebay, tcgplayer, and pojo vendor history to prove I'm not a scammer. Also fine using delivery confirmation if you pay for it. (If you're a TO I miiiight pay for it myself I dunnobro)

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Seems like most of the people that give a crap about customs are 3DS players originally. Why not just get these presets done and anyone that wants something different should bring a 3DS or ask for help from someone with a 3DS.

I don't think its unreasonable for a competitive player to shell out 100 bucks for a 2ds+game and put in a little bit of work for the moves they want to use.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Seems like most of the people that give a crap about customs are 3DS players originally. Why not just get these presets done and anyone that wants something different should bring a 3DS or ask for help from someone with a 3DS.

I don't think its unreasonable for a competitive player to shell out 100 bucks for a 2ds+game and put in a little bit of work for the moves they want to use.
I'm not sure I understand your point. Isn't what you're asking the point of the this thread? There are still slots available for people who want their own preset.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
custom moves are essential to competitive character variety. That is one reason people want to kill melee.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Well, if anyone would like to just send me their 3ds cartridge to unlock all the customs on with my powersave, I can do that. For free.

Obviously giving a rando online your stuff is iffy. Can provide my ebay, tcgplayer, and pojo vendor history to prove I'm not a scammer. Also fine using delivery confirmation if you pay for it. (If you're a TO I miiiight pay for it myself I dunnobro)
Orly? Hook me up.
About the topic though, I think just 8 sets is a bit restricting.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Orly? Hook me up.
It's not limiting everyone ever to 8 sets, it's just about pre-loading the most common sets so that the majority of people won't have to worry about it at all. Plus 2222 and 3333 to ensure everyone gets to use every move if they wish, and two blank slots for the snowflakes.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Orly? Hook me up.
Well if you're in Alexandria it might be easier to just meet up at an event/smashfest. You can still mail it if you want tho.

ebay: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...id=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=7&page=1
tcgplayer: http://shop.tcgplayer.com/sellerfeedback/0f75c595 (dat one 3-star rating)
pojo: http://www.pojo.biz/board/itrader.php?u=123937

Anyone can PM me for the address to ship the cartridge to.

Boy Jordan

Smash Cadet
I'm not understanding what the commotion is, really. I've had all the customs on my Wii U version unlocked for a few days now. It really didn't take that long. I just did Crazy Orders, Classic mode, trophy rush, and et cetera. Just casual play. Doing this only once per console doesn't seem like much of an issue at all. Most people volunteer their consoles for tournament use, and within this first month alone, nearly everyone who's been playing the game consistently since launch should have all customs unlocked.

Can someone elaborate to me what the problem is here?

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i'm not sure it's a good idea to have 2222 and 3333 for every chaacter over other sets that might get some use IN the oturnaments themselves.

while some moves are straightforward enough like most recoveries, more gimmicky moves like Monado arts or Mechakoopa are simply too big on the character's gameplay for people to 'oh, let me experiment with this move for 5 mins and see if i won't use them in the tournaments"

heck, those people would have experience with their own wii us and there it's not hard to unlock all of YOUR character's moves to try them out. so if they feel like it they would have experimented at home, i think.

working on a 7th and 8th set might be the better choice here;

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I'm not understanding what the commotion is, really. I've had all the customs on my Wii U version unlocked for a few days now. It really didn't take that long. I just did Crazy Orders, Classic mode, trophy rush, and et cetera. Just casual play. Doing this only once per console doesn't seem like much of an issue at all. Most people volunteer their consoles for tournament use, and within this first month alone, nearly everyone who's been playing the game consistently since launch should have all customs unlocked.

it seems quite a few people focus mostly on he raw smash mode that doesn't give you customs. and honestly, it does take a while. i have 60 hours in, and about 55 were spent in solo modes and i have only 197 moves so far. i have 160 hours, i spent about 20 hours online but i still have some 20 moves to get.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman

It's a new element, so a few people are already apprehensive to the idea, covered with the fact the random factor seems to be turning more and more people away from it. It's probably not hard for someone dedicated enough, but some people get just easily frustrated with having to do single player again and again.

MeleeMasterRace

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cpobiwan456
3DS FC
2921-9080-8261
No need to make things up my dear nintendo shill, I heard Amibos make great training partners! :p(No seriously, I might actually make a thread about that)
I like my amiibo. I have Mario, Fox, Kirby, and Yoshi at the moment and would like to bring them to a local smash tourney scene for amiibo money matches. I did learn alot about my own fighting style in order to make myself better. I do get bodied by my amiibo every now and then though.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I like my amiibo. I have Mario, Fox, Kirby, and Yoshi at the moment and would like to bring them to a local smash tourney scene for amiibo money matches. I did learn alot about my own fighting style in order to make myself better. I do get bodied by my amiibo every now and then though.
Nice to know, but just an fyi we should try to stay on topic. No offence of course.

MeleeMasterRace

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cpobiwan456
3DS FC
2921-9080-8261
Nice to know, but just an fyi we should try to stay on topic. No offence of course.
As I was writing that, I thought I was getting too far off topic. Whoops. Probably off topic here but just wanted to clear things

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So I'll be posting the first (beta) release of this tonight. I still don't quite have *all* my ducks in a row and this will take likely a few more hours, but I will have something up tonight that TOs can use for this weekend if they so choose. I intend to have a few things in place to communicate effectively precisely what the project is about and why it is how it is; I've put a very large number of hours into this at this point, but if this is what it takes to make the custom moveset system practical, it will all be worth it!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I'll be posting the first (beta) release of this tonight. I still don't quite have *all* my ducks in a row and this will take likely a few more hours, but I will have something up tonight that TOs can use for this weekend if they so choose. I intend to have a few things in place to communicate effectively precisely what the project is about and why it is how it is; I've put a very large number of hours into this at this point, but if this is what it takes to make the custom moveset system practical, it will all be worth it!
At this point it seems likely that Rosalina's sets will be 2311, 2313, 1311, 1313, 2211, and 2213. That's the way the poll is currently swinging, anyway.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Well if you're in Alexandria it might be easier to just meet up at an event/smashfest. You can still mail it if you want tho.

ebay: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...id=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&mPg=7&page=1
tcgplayer: http://shop.tcgplayer.com/sellerfeedback/0f75c595 (dat one 3-star rating)
pojo: http://www.pojo.biz/board/itrader.php?u=123937

Anyone can PM me for the address to ship the cartridge to.
Cool man. See what I can do. Probably gonna ship it tho.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
I love custom moves, but the developers really f'ed up on them. theyre hard and annoying to unlock and you cant use them online. I want customs in tournaments but they might not be allowed in a lot of them.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I actually might have an idea as far as Miis go.

Basically I made 3 default Miis based on the Mii renders present in Smash. The Brawler is Adam, the Swordsman is Lance, & the Gunner is Hayley. If you guys wish, I can distribute the QR Code for these Miis if you guys wish.

As for who I am, I run Smash 4 tournaments over at College Station at the MSC. It's a bit small, sure, but I at least have experience. I use these 3 Miis as the default (middle height, middle weight) until we can get a standard for custom moves going (which this thread seems to have the solution to).

Last edited:

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
I'm not sure if anyone brought this up, but what about using an Action Replay Powersaves to instantly unlock all the custom moves on the 3DS? One would be all it takes for a TO to get what he needs and its only a $20 investment.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Also it would be fantastic if you put the top 8 sets for each character in the OP so that information is readily available in one post.
It would be a pain to go to each characters custom move thread.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
So, at Paragon, I was curious to see what people have accomplished in Challenges... The person had all characters unlocked and stages... But not a single trophy from Classic and the board was so empty. I should have taken a picture of it. I found it to be so funny.

There's a huge barrier right there and I don't know if we'll see Custom Movesets allowed simply because people may not be interested in grinding them out. I wish the shop included the option to buy 3 new movesets daily. But that'd be too easy.

Raijinken

Smash Master
So, at Paragon, I was curious to see what people have accomplished in Challenges... The person had all characters unlocked and stages... But not a single trophy from Classic and the board was so empty. I should have taken a picture of it. I found it to be so funny.

There's a huge barrier right there and I don't know if we'll see Custom Movesets allowed simply because people may not be interested in grinding them out. I wish the shop included the option to buy 3 new movesets daily. But that'd be too easy.
It only takes one willing individual per tournament location to get them to make this project doable. Or, someone willing to powersave them all into the 3DS version.

Much as I'd love a quicker way to get customs, we gotta work with what we've got.

Top Bottom