• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M's controls

Fabolous Golden Falcon

Smash Rookie
I hate to be that guy, but I have to say something about Project M's controls. No matter how many times I play this game, the controls just don't feel as... well, how do I put it? Responsive. I find myself self-destructing a lot more than in other Smash games. I don't have this problem with Melee. I'm not sure what exactly it is about the controls that make it feel less tight to me. So please, tell me. Am I the only one who thinks this? Or are there any other people who feel the same way?

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I think a few people have fun into this problem, but there's actually a fairly simple solution to this.

git gud

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, for real: i sorta remember reading somewhere that the joystick sensitivity is different in pm, but i think it should match brawl's?

unfortunately, i don't remember at all who said this or where, nor do i know which pmdt member would be able to confirm or deny this claim : /

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>P:M less responsive than brawl

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
It's probably the fact the PM has a similar but different sensitivity, which is true, and that you're used to Melee. A lot of PM players feel that Melee is the less responsive of the two, after getting used to PM, so I'd say this claim is typically made because of player bias rather than one being objectively more "responsive" than the other.
If you have difficulty switching, learn the differences. Stay consciously aware of them going into PM games, instead of letting your Melee muscle memory take over.

Narpas_sword

something to do with deadzones was it?

can't remember correctly, but there was something i recall melee pros saying about melee having issues and the need for a good condition controller ...?

i dunno, whenever i go back to melee i feel sluggish though.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Never have this problem. PM responds best for me out of all smash games.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
If you play either Melee or PM more than the other, the one you play less feeling less responsive/awkward is a pretty common thing. idk about differences in button sensitivity/responsiveness, but ik one factor that plays into this is the difference in character models and the cameras. Melee has smaller models (visually; the hurtboxes are the same), but has a more zoomed-in and faster moving camera. PM's character models from Brawl are made a bit larger to match the hurtbox more closely, and the camera is a bit zoomed out and calmer when it pans around to follow characters. Because of this, while characters may be about the same size on screen visually, they may technically be a bit bigger/smaller than one would assume, and the slight difference can end up throwing players off more than one would assume. This would play a part in things like sweetspotting ledge and stuff, since the character may go off screen at slightly different timings/distances between the games (just an assumption, but I think I've read this elsewhere).

On another note, that shouldn't affect certain things like inputs for basic tech that should just be relying on muscle memory, but I know tons of people that find themselves flubbing the silliest things, like full-hopping 1 in every 10 or so of their wavedashes (from non-scrubs). That'd mean that they're probably pressing L/R too early (before the jump crouch animation ends), but...iirc the timing between Melee/PM for basic tech like that is the same. Weird pseudo stuff probably playing a part somewhere in this >>

I'd just keep playing both consistently until PM gradually starts to feel less awkward. That, or consider finding a different main between Melee/PM, so the slight differences don't throw you off if you leave one or the other for a while.

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
The only real problem I have with the controls is that when playing Project M via any USB Loader, any button randomly releases itself (I don't know why). Which means for example, at the Character Select Screen you can just hold A button and the select cursor will randomly grab and release the emblem/character marker. Still lots of fun to play.

Fabolous Golden Falcon

Smash Rookie
The only real problem I have with the controls is that when playing Project M via any USB Loader, any button randomly releases itself (I don't know why). Which means for example, at the Character Select Screen you can just hold A button and the select cursor will randomly grab and release the emblem/character marker. Still lots of fun to play.
Wait. Playing Project M through a USB Loader has an impact on the controls? That explains it. See, I live in europe, so the only way I can play Project M is through USB Loader GX, as far as I know of.

Sorry, Project M.

Narpas_sword

id say update, try different hardware, check your hooktype and create a thread in the help section describing the problem if none of that works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom