• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M's AI is too good (A compilation of AI Glitches)

What do you think of the glitches?

• Total voters

Booster

Smash Lord
I didn't make these videos, but I figured since no one else has shared these glitches with the Modders so they can fix it when/if they have the time. This guy is presumably doing this to troll the modders if you read the video description, but I think this needs to be shared with the modders rather then exploited. I'm going to make more clever subtitles for the videos, I don't intend to troll or be funny, just share glitches with the modders to help them out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cQfSSLiRuM&list=PLIHpRvXPklmin_CBFUfiMDgb2DJwyTaXm&index=17 Project M's AI is too good #1 Snake goes for a swim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6RCZYbv-8 Project M's AI is too good #2 Falcon Punch is best pony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWYXnJljBg Project M's AI is too good #3 Saving the world before Dead Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2Mry0eFbc Project M's AI is too good #4 DeDeDumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkvpevIVsk Project M's AI is too good #5 The Stare Off of Destiny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Udbcxon250 Project M's AI is too good #6 SuiciDiddy Kong

This isn't part of the "Project M's AI is too good" series, but it might as well be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfXhIbfKRVw&list=PLIHpRvXPklmin_CBFUfiMDgb2DJwyTaXm&index=7 Project M's AI is too good lost episode (Can't come up with a subtitle, but ever wanted to defeat the Space Animals, Roy, Meta Knight and Pit? There ya go)

I know that this Mod is meant for competitive play with human beings and not AI, but we need to be able to practice on dummies, and sometimes people want to play against AI because human beings are usually cruel when it comes to competitive gaming and maybe gamers need a break sometime. There ARE other AI videos this guy has made, but most of them relating to already known glitches like the timer which he didn't have nice things to say about at all.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Every game has an exploitable AI. The reason practicing against CPUs is considered detrimental is that they have a drastically different playstyle than humans. In a game like Smashbros, there is no way to account for all of the possibilities that can occur and there will always be exploits. A well known example from Melee is to fight a level 9 Ness in Jungle Japes: As long as you don't move, he will self-destruct at the beginning of the match every time. Another example is the "Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" series of videos (there are versions of this for every single Mario Party and Smash Bros game). No matter how good the AI is, you can always catch CPUs doing something stupid.

The guy in the videos you posted purposely tried to exploit the AI. As long as you don't do that, Project M CPUs are fine to play against.

IHaveAName

Very Cute Robot
I wouldn't entirely agree on that one, I've seen CPUs airdodge off the side of stages so many times while edgeguarding them. But other than THAT....they're pretty good.

aj12ay

Smash Rookie
I know one big problem with the AI is them not aiming their B-Ups well at all. They keep going well over the edge, making it easily punishable.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
P.M do not edit AI from brawl, they are used with brawl gravity and air dodge. They kill themself everytime like that in the last video.
They actually did. You'll notice characters like Falco and Fox do stuff like wavedashing and dash dancing. And yeah the AI could use polishing, but it's nowhere near as bad as those videos make it seem.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the AI will always be faulty at times because it cannot be perfect just fight the AI as actually humans and you will be fine and there is only one person that works on the AI in project M so you can't expect too much. The only thing that I think they could fix is when they air dodge off the edge of the stage.

Last edited:

luxmivozi

Smash Apprentice
i know this isnt project m and not even smash bros brawl but iv noticed on melee on hardest difficult sometimes the ai will suicide

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes it can be very frustrating when the AI just suicides for no reason, especially when you're actually trying to fight it.

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
Can't forget good ol' Olimar, you could be on the other side of the stage far away from him and he still won't pluck new pikmin; painful to have as a partner and boring to fight as an opponent.

Booster

Smash Lord
Can't forget good ol' Olimar, you could be on the other side of the stage far away from him and he still won't pluck new pikmin; painful to have as a partner and boring to fight as an opponent.
Don't forget characters with chargeable projectiles

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Every smash game has had extremely exploitable (and sometimes dumb) ai, but at least pm ai implement the tech skill of an average/below average player.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
This is actually really surprising. I really like the ai in Project M and I've never had any problems with it. Huh

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I see the computer kill themselves more often when its Pikachu, it just fails to use its recovery correctly. It at least happens once every other match, then of course theres the occasional air dodge of the edge.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I see the computer kill themselves more often when its Pikachu, it just fails to use its recovery correctly. It at least happens once every other match, then of course theres the occasional air dodge of the edge.
Doesn't every AI kill themselves as much as Pikachu? I believe Fox and Falco have made quite a lot of self-destructs. BTW, your signature is awesome! XD

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
I agree with the posts saying that not all of these can be fixed for the most part, but at least the air dodging off stage and running into Falcon Punch can lol

I've also seen a lot of trouble with Pikachu using his up b. Once he gets off stage he doesn't know how to use it at all and just suicides. That could probably be improved.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
The AI need to be made harder. I don't know how you would go about doing this but it's gotten to the point where playing against level 9 computer when you have no one else to play with isn't a challenge at all.

Booster

Smash Lord
The AI need to be made harder. I don't know how you would go about doing this but it's gotten to the point where playing against level 9 computer when you have no one else to play with isn't a challenge at all.
Yeah, my little brother is more of a challenge then a level 9 CPU...mainly because he spams one move over and over.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
AI always dash attack you and are punished easily. They always use airdodge in the ledge and SD. Pikachu DOESN'T know how to recover in any conceivable way, Fox and Falco die easily and Falco will always be the first to die in a CPU match no matter what. Jigglypuff NEVER uses Rest, Captain Falcon ALWAYS Selfdestructs with his Falcon Kick. AI run into the Falcon Punch, Link ALWAYS SPAMS THAT DAMNED UP-SMASH, Ness AI doesn't know how to play AT ALL, I'm a subpar player and I play Ness better than AI Ness, Lucas', Diddy's and Zelda's AI are too agressive compared to the other AI and flat out annoy, and the list goes on and on and on. I know AI isn't perfect but...it's too dumb.

Also check this out, I was out of practice for like 5 months and I fought a level 9 Ganon........

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
AI always dash attack you and are punished easily. They always use airdodge in the ledge and SD. Pikachu DOESN'T know how to recover in any conceivable way, Fox and Falco die easily and Falco will always be the first to die in a CPU match no matter what. Jigglypuff NEVER uses Rest, Captain Falcon ALWAYS Selfdestructs with his Falcon Kick. AI run into the Falcon Punch, Link ALWAYS SPAMS THAT DAMNED UP-SMASH, Ness AI doesn't know how to play AT ALL, I'm a subpar player and I play Ness better than AI Ness, Lucas', Diddy's and Zelda's AI are too agressive compared to the other AI and flat out annoy, and the list goes on and on and on. I know AI isn't perfect but...it's too dumb.

Also check this out, I was out of practice for like 5 months and I fought a level 9 Ganon........
The AI is indeed trash. Project M Back Room, please give us back Brawl's AI.

Booster

Smash Lord
But the computers would kill themselves when air dodging off of the stage.
They kill themselves now, did you not see what Snake did to himself? Absolutely hilarious, but if you're looking for a serious match you'll be incredibly disappointed unless you have a friend playing with you.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
They kill themselves now, did you not see what Snake did to himself? Absolutely hilarious, but if you're looking for a serious match you'll be incredibly disappointed unless you have a friend playing with you.
Marios would use Mario Tornado when far away...

NQuad1Zero

Smash Cadet
For some reason I can't post links yet cuz I haven't reached 10 posts, but I've commented on your YT video to the intense stare-off thing, seems to be some sort of spacing programming with the AI on Donkey Kong where it will only react on what you do when you do certain things and most likely give you a free hit.

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
Are they still updating pm or did ssb4 kill it

Kapapanerp

Smash Apprentice
One thing i find annoying as hell about the AI (I've noticed this happens most when they are lvl 7+) is they seem to be able to read your inputs when you try to grab them. They try so hard to avoid them they'll just end up putting themselves in worse positions or just strait up sd...

Top Bottom