• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project:M Wifi as a Melee Training Tool

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,
I'm a Fox player, and I'm definitely at a point in my development where I just need to play as many people as possible. Therefore, the Project M Wifi set looks useful as a tool to easily get an hour of practice in against human players.

However, let me state that I am not a huge fan of P:M, and I will not discuss the reasons why (this is not a P:M debate thread). We all know there's a few differences in P:M vs. Melee. My question is, do you think it's worth it to use P:M wifi as a Melee practice tool? Do you think that it could possibly help or even hinder me as a Melee player?

And yes, I do know about Melee online, but I need to get a GCN USB adapter, and I'm not sure how many people actually play Melee online.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Well, there is a new appliction recently made to import melee physics into PM.

U can use P:M for training, but remember. Melee and P:M aren't exactly the same

Griffard

Smash Ace
I think you'd be better off picking and choosing times to just try and play melee players in real life instead of playing a different game online. Too different of a substitution imo. Plus you'll be playing against tons of characters that aren't even in melee. The games are wildly different

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, there is a new appliction recently made to import melee physics into PM.

U can use P:M for training, but remember. Melee and P:M aren't exactly the same
the application was available to us in 2011 lol

griffard: i'm not sure how becoming good at adaptation and match-up development is hurtful to a player that's trying to improve.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i mean, if you're at the stage where you really need to be practicing movement and basics in understanding basic spacing and edgeguards in the heat of battle, then by all means it probably will help you a lot in your consistency

the lag might be too muck IDK

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I'm more at a point where I need to practice against players.

besides, just tried P:M online. It's kinda trash.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Fair point bones. I guess you were watching some of our streaming before. Fox is the best and worse thing to happen to me as a player because I get to pull off some cool stuff when my fingers are moving, but I'm still having consistency issues 3 months after I made the switch. Was kinda hoping I'd be past this point by now, but eh. If you don't mind sharing, how long did it take you to get Fox tech down without worry in a PvP scenario?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Fair point bones. I guess you were watching some of our streaming before. Fox is the best and worse thing to happen to me as a player because I get to pull off some cool stuff when my fingers are moving, but I'm still having consistency issues 3 months after I made the switch. Was kinda hoping I'd be past this point by now, but eh. If you don't mind sharing, how long did it take you to get Fox tech down without worry in a PvP scenario?
I've never watched your stream. You just have a Fox avatar. The reason I assumed your tech skill sucks because excluding like 5 Fox mains, every Fox player's tech skill sucks, at least relative to what Fox needs to be running at to play effectively. Even those with that high level tech skill still have to actively focus on it. Silent Wolf actually talked about this in the Fox forums a while back. He explained how he could focus on positioning smarter, and he would see a decline in his tech skill, but when he focuses on his tech skill to make it flawless, it takes away some of his focus from positioning. It's a balance all players have to maintain, but Fox players especially.

Also, moving in general is just really hard in Melee, so anyone whose name I don't recognize at all probably doesn't have their movement as precise and consistent as they should. This includes myself, of course. I have only really noticed my Fox to stay consistent at nationals where I am playing multiple days in a row for long hours. For those brief periods of time I get glimpses into what my Fox could be like with good tech skill, but I don't main Fox so it's just a matter of time before my Fox-tech fades and cracks. I'm lucky to hit all my WDs with Fox at random Smashfests. lol

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Both playing Project M and using Brawl online will mess up your execution, there's a pretty big Facebook group somewhere of Melee Online players and the GC->USB adapter is totally worth it.

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing with my friend a lot through PM wifi, cause I don't get chances to play him otherwise. I played only PM for a month, and it screwed up my melee execution for a little while. Wouldn't really recommend it.

Playing other fighting games will improve you at Melee, even when you play them online. You will be improving yourself at the mental aspect of the game and your input precision may either falter or have no effect. This even works for Brawl in certain ways

Brawl netcode is an absolute disaster. You're going to need a wired internet connection to play online without raging the hardest you're ever raged or given up in sheer hopelessness. But even then when you cut out like 1/3 of the lag it's still atrocious. Brawl online has 6 frames of lag designed in the netcode. And the game already has 0-2 frames of input delay already. Hopefully, other online PMers know this. I know Brawl onliners don't. Are the netcode and input lag improved in PM?

A better game like Street Fighter (preferably 3rd Strike, for being a better game and also having better netcode) will teach you prediction really well. In that game either you guess right or you guess wrong. There are no varying degrees of rewards and punishments like in Smash

Competitive play is more about strategy than ability. Online will help you improve when you can't play locally

This advice may be specific mainly for entry level to mid level play, especially for Brawl. And for games/character that aren't super-sensitive to input errors

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there's a frame of lag on anything that involves physics. if you just shine or jab or aerial or anything it'll come out on the frame you input it, but if you air dodge it'll take effect a frame late.

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
I'm a falco main, so would PM's falco and wifi be a decent practice tool? I never get to play with anyone, all i do is practice tech skill...

Top Bottom