• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me what stages got altered besides the ones shown in the last update, as in size, positioning, camera, all that jazz, so I can apply my stage textures appropriately?

cannedbread

Smash Lord
<HypernetExplorer>: By the way, I will be streaming an information session on Wii/Gamecube coding with examples of how we coders contribute to Project M! If you're simply interested in the process or you want to get started writing codes yourself, it will be a great event to tune into and ask questions live.
<HypernetExplorer>: The stream will take place Thursday, Jan. 3rd at 7:00pm EST. It will also be recorded.
<HypernetExplorer>: If you don't want to miss it, you can find my stream here: http://twitch.tv/InternetExplorer6
<HypernetExplorer>: Some prior coding/tech experience may be helpful, but I will make sure I explain everything for those who are also new or unfamiliar. Like Magus, I learned how to code for Wii/GC specifically for Smash, so don't feel intimidated if you don't have prior experience!
<Strong_Bad>: by the way, to the people that "leaked" the download locations? you delayed the release by several minutes
<Strong_Bad>: thanks
<VGBC_Isatis>: more like 20 min
<Strong_Bad>: even worse
<Strong_Bad>: and enjoy your corrupted .zips
<Strong_Bad>: that don't work in-game
#burn #roasted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

Asylum

Smash Journeyman
What's another 20 minutes at this point. I don't blame the people for finding the leak one bit with the amount of time they've delayed it today already.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
What's another 20 minutes at this point. I don't blame the people for finding the leak one bit with the amount of time they've delayed it today already.
Agreed, like we are supposed to get upset at people for adding 20 minutes when they've been stringing us along all night...

Jackio

Smash Cadet
lol, you're trying to pin it on us? How could some people downloading it POSSIBLY delay it for more than 20 mins?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Because by downloading the files prematurely, we had to stop the upload to change the directory urls to stop people from downloadming premature, thus resulting in restarting the uploads.

so lol.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
Because by downloading the files prematurely, we had to stop the upload to change the directory urls to stop people from downloadming premature, thus resulting in restarting the uploads.

so lol.
Why did you have to stop people from downloading it prematurely? Does this cause any kind of actual issue?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
because when you download from one server, that server gets overloaded and shuts down temporarily, thus the fact that we have to upload to seven to contain the traffic.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Matt, did you get your computer to work?

I was in the IRC when the first demo came out, how much of a minority that now is

Jackio

Smash Cadet
When "prematurely" is the day after the promised release date... hold dat ****

Just think about it, either delay everything for 20 minutes, or risk one mirror going down.

>_>

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ninja'd.

Bio hit the nail on the head. When people swarm one mirror, the server will either get overstressed and get put offline temporarily, OR the file gets removed permanently and needs to be uploaded.

You guys remember what happened when we released the previous demos on Smods right?

Smod crashed because it was overstressed and Smods is stored on a shared server meaning it was using too many resources.

Losing mirrors is a far larger setback than what you're giving credit for lol. Because when servers go down in the middle of the night, it'll take a long time before they get back online. Meaning more traffic for other servers, and a larger chance for potential issues.

It places the opportunity for a downward spiral on the pathway of plausibility.

This is why we need like 7 mirrors ready to go from the start so none of that crap is possible.

Landry

Smash Ace
Jeez, maybe some people could complain a bit more in here...

Sorry this free service the PMBR is giving us wasn't quick enough for some of you.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Why did you have to stop people from downloading it prematurely? Does this cause any kind of actual issue?
Why did you have to stop people from downloading it "prematurely"?
Not to come off as a douche, but do you really need a goddamn reason? If people are attempting to evade early traffic by slithering around with DL links, then they're kind of spitting in the PMBR's face. Seriously, either stfu and wait or deal with the imminent site traffic; a few hours won't make much of a difference.

I'm just going to guess that one of the main reasons behind why premature downloads are a hindrance is the main DL page not being set up to track the download count -- one of the few indicators of this non-paid project's success. Plus, what Bio said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom