• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
My biggest gripe with 4-player balance so far in PM 2.0 is ironically what is otherwise Ike's worst move by far: his down B. Ike can literally just keep charging it on a platform and wait for someone to get knocked back into its huge range to get a free kill, without taking any risk whatsoever. You can't interrupt the charge without a projectile because Ike has super armor from frame 1 of release to after the hitbox comes out, and you can't properly bait and punish when two other players are trying to kill you. Even if you do get lucky and find a bomb or something, the worst that can happen to Ike is some knockbackless damage, thanks to his instant super armor.

While I guess that one might discover some obscure application of Eruption's super armor, it's a given that charging it will always remain competitively useless, so simply removing the armor on Eruption after a second of charge would be an easy fix that has absolutely no consequence on the target metagame.

The second issue is that, while Melee KO attribution mechanics (aka, self-destructs being properly registered as such) being brought back should be a good thing for 4-player play, SDs need to count as -2 in Time mode, as in Melee. Otherwise, committing suicide when at high percent becomes a viable strategy, to prevent opponents from getting score. 4-player Stock isn't really a viable option, as camping and simply running way become by far the best strategy, turning Smash into a survival game more than anything else.
I'm just pointing it out in case how to control this has already been discovered without actively looking for it (as, I assume, was the case with Melee KO attribution), as it's definitely not worth looking into otherwise.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Agree or disagree?

cgs shouldn't be "harder to do" at all. They need to be "impossible to do" when the opponent dis correctly. There should never be a guaranteed regrab. Except for ics =p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I agree with some of that statement. Traditional Melee-style chaingrabs are fine by me as long as the opponent literally has to guess/read the opponent in order for them to work, no matter how long they last. In that case, I imagine Brawl Snake D-Throw and Meta Knight D-Throw as good examples of how it should ideally work in a Melee environment.

Guaranteed chaingrabs on a majority of the cast that last for longer than ~30% reduce depth and take away from what the game could be.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That would basically mean make every throw naturally send people out like a PAL Sheik Dthrow if they DI away, or Falcon's Dthrow to the extreme lol. I don't agree with that entirely.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
there are variations. sakurai angle isnt the only angle.
have it send at a higher angle (15-25 degrees) with high enough hitstun to prevent them from jumping out before they reach regrab height. but with DI you can move far enough away to prevent regrabs AND/OR move at a wide enough angle to where you can jump out before you reach the required regrab height.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
AKA, send people super duper far away and always make DI away the most sensible option because that increased hitstun means super free hits ALA Ike Fsmash style

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Not every throw has to have chaingrab properties. Some character may have to deal with it due to their weight/fall speed, but, all of these throws don't have to affect a majority of the cast in the same way.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You could have throws the way they are, but increase the knockback scaling to end/stop CG's sooner. Changing angles and stun sounds trickier to balance in a fair way.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
AKA, send people super duper far away and always make DI away the most sensible option because that increased hitstun means super free hits ALA Ike Fsmash style
haha, at the first yomi level. (sirlin yay) thats like saying you always DI away from falcons dthrow. sure, because then he has to work harder to combo you and can't regrab. but it means he has to commit to it. then you DI up and **** up his spacing and get out. stop thinking so linearly. balance through imbalance.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
People, I have found the answer to these delays!

The answer to all these shenanigans is that the PMBR actually work for Valve!

It's the only explanation.

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see a teaser at the end. Are there no more characters being revealed for 2.5?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
No teaser...you know what that means...BETS FOR NEXT CHAR!

My moneys on samus.
but as for what I want the most...mewtwo :embarrass:

cannedbread

Smash Lord
after reading squirtle's character page i can safely say that he will be the most annoying character in project m so far. can't waittt

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
We have more announcements to make, we're not done, so stay tuned to smashmods! :)
But...smashmods isn't a radio or TV station, how can I tune to it? :troll:

Anyway, yeah, I was kinda worried at the lack of a teaser at the end. Will the next big update not be character related? And was this the "big update" you promised?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
What happened to a certain teaser where a certain view is reflected in a certain pair of sunglasses, set to a certain clip from a certain virally popular foreign pop music track?

I was kinda looking forward to it.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
No teasers this time, folks. However, that doesn't mean no more new characters! Just keep your eyes open! ;)

Don't expect characters to be revealed every week though! We do still have plenty of other content behind the curtains we're eager to show you all :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Does squirtle have the same utilt as brawl?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yes, but it's obviously much better because of the engine changes and general move improvements the PMBR perform. :p
I mean..it's hard to imagine that move being better lol, it comboed in brawl O.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom