• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~TLK~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toonlinkking777
so in the demo the unfinished characters do not exist and dont have a slot? but all the stages exist right? including all the new ones?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
True that.

Just realized something. P:M looks like it has few representatives in the North east, such as NY and MA
You can't complain about the East, if I'm correct there's pretty much no Midwest, much less Michigan (I'm not willing or able to travel out of state for a video game tournament), representation. You have no reason to complain. If I'm correct the East has a very healthy tourney scene.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
North East loves ProjectM. Haha.

When the demo is out I'm sure MDZ and other NE TOs wouldn't mind running it.
-DD

Alex 615

Smash Apprentice
When the demo is released, will text file for the gct be available? If the text file isn't available, can you release an optional gct that has the frame advance code in it?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
.txt file will not be included thanks to the efforts of some douchebag leakers.

No one complained that there were only 14 characters in the E for All Brawl demo.
You should treat this the same.
Well-said. SWF really should have a like button XD

GPDP

Smash Ace
Is anything being considered for Samus at this point? She was an ok character in Melee, and could be deadly in the right hands, but obviously much could be improved to keep her competitive.

I've noticed as part of porting her Melee physics over to Brawl, she has retained her Melee "short"hop, but I wonder if that's a good thing? I understand she's not supposed to be a character who relies heavily on SHFFLing, but is it really necessary for her shorthop to be so high? I know it was made into an actual shorthop in Brawl+, and I thought it worked well for her. Though I imagine making it too short would obviously make her missile play overpowered, especially with true missile canceling and once landing detection is cracked.

However, I'm not a Samus main, so I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for keeping her shorthop high, unless the reason is "it was like that in Melee so we're keeping it like that so her physics remain familiar to Melee vets."

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
You can't complain about the East, if I'm correct there's pretty much no Midwest, much less Michigan (I'm not willing or able to travel out of state for a video game tournament), representation. You have no reason to complain. If I'm correct the East has a very healthy tourney scene.
Michigan is in the east believe it or not. which really is funny. we follow the EST starndard time set even though Michigan looks like on a map straight in the middle. atleast to me anyways.
But ya MI rarely has tournamnets. And if they do hardly no1 shows up sorta sad.

G

genkaku

I play regularly with a very innovative samus main that uses the short hop as is to rather scary ends. He uses bombs for shorter hops.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter if you have the text file anyway. As long as you know what is and isn't in the GCT you can just use GCTEdit and make modifications yourself. I think the whole process, including downloading GCTEdit would only take a minute unless your Internet connection really sucks.

Turazrok

Smash Master
When/are you going to put in C stick jump out of shield?

Cuz I can't Shine OOS for crap without it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the end result will be open source. But I don't think they want their code to be used for false advertisement. Imagine if poeple thought the extent of P:M was just 14 characters. Besides, they'll still allow textures for characters, so you got some degree of modding you can do. Furthermore, it might be fraught with bugs if everything is unlocked. It's still in development after all. The project is moving along fast, and Dantarion's latest breakthrough is probably really helping out. Let's be patient here; your Brawl characters will suck in a Melee setting.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'm pretty sure the end result will be open source. But I don't think they want their code to be used for false advertisement. Imagine if poeple thought the extent of P:M was just 14 characters. Besides, they'll still allow textures for characters, so you got some degree of modding you can do. Furthermore, it might be fraught with bugs if everything is unlocked. It's still in development after all. The project is moving along fast, and Dantarion's latest breakthrough is probably really helping out. Let's be patient here; your Brawl characters will suck in a Melee setting.
Kindly elaborate on his latest breakthrough, as our topic may go off-topic soon.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl+ happened.
Can somebody please fill me in on what ever happened to Brawl Plus? It was the only Smash variation I played for the longest time (over a year) until I discovered nobody still played it, and I moved on to minus.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
Can somebody please fill me in on what ever happened to Brawl Plus? It was the only Smash variation I played for the longest time (over a year) until I discovered nobody still played it, and I moved on to minus.
In short, it went from being closed from editing for 6 months for the game to sink in for people to being canceled completely, partially due to people whining that characters needed buffs or nerfs. Also, everyone wanted to work on Project:M.

Lesson is, give things time to sink in, rather than bend to the whim of every complaint. Brawl got months, Melee got years, Brawl+ couldn't even have nights because people wanted Ness to be stronger or weaker.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
No one complained that there were only 14 characters in the E for All Brawl demo.
You should treat this the same.
...why?

I mean, I've accepted your reasoning and I'm cool with it and everything, but that's not a good reason to accept something if you're against it. "Everyone else is cool with it, so you should be" doesn't work. Just saying.

Starscream

Smash Ace
The sense of entitlement people have is ridiculous. I'll take the 14 character demo over no demo and thank the P:M team for all their hard work.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
The more valid reason would just be that the point of our demo is to showcase our greatest work thus far to emphasize the progress we've been making. Installing characters who have not yet been polished satisfactorily enough (if at all) would give an extremely negative sense of incompletion to the public (regardless of any disclaimer we slap onto it).

We wanna show a great first impression. :)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The more valid reason would just be that the point of our demo is to showcase our greatest work thus far to emphasize the progress we've been making. Installing characters who have not yet been polished satisfactorily enough (if at all) would give an extremely negative sense of incompletion to the public (regardless of any disclaimer we slap onto it).

We wanna show a great first impression. :)
That's the reasoning I was talking about accepting and being cool with.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
sometimes, you must find your own answer. this is curiosity pertaining to a personal interest. it involves P:M no more than it does when asking any question, really.

it is possible that this will be answered anyhow, much like any question posed in this thread, with a reasonable and sound explanation. however, this can be done on your own too; questions may be proposed within and be given a fair, intelligent answer. after all, this question comes along the lines of why the demo should be treated like an official release of sorts, or it could be curiosity as to why any demo should be treated as such on an open-source application.

the funny thing is, to determine the answer to such a question the designer must fulfill some unspoken justification that the user may be fed. isn't this a waste?

edit: answered, yep.

Kati

Smash Lord
@ Diamondbodysharpshooter:
Interesting point about letting things sit in.

------

Have any thoughts been given to Ganon having the option to use his sword via taunt? I'm thinking about an old project (might be still going) that gave him the attacks he has when using the beam sword, so he had different jab, f-tilt, and f-smash. The taunt allowed the sword to be taken out and put away at will.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I believe the idea was brought up, but was soon discarded for reasons I forget, but most likely pertain to balance.

Ibuprofen

Smash Rookie
Question on Ganondorf: Was anything done to his up-tilt? I've never seen a viable use for it outside of the very very rare ledgeguard or two.

Derkis

Smash Cadet
That's the reasoning I was talking about accepting and being cool with.
The problem is you haven't once articulated what it is about that reason you find unsatisfactory. It doesn't make sense to give you more and different reasons for why unfinished content shouldn't released when your counter-argument to the currently available reasons is "I don't agree with or like this reasoning, why is everyone else just cool with it?"

Pen_island

Smash Cadet
I was wondering. What if theres a major breakthrough ( landing detection, fixed brawl DI, ect.) AFTER the demo is released? Would the demo be re-released or will we have to wait until PM is finished?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom