• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
there is no question that these discoveries saved us a ton of time and manpower

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Just out of curiousity will Fox regain the ability to Chaingrab himself? Past 18% -_-.....

New physics look amazing btw. I don't even see a hint of clunkiness in the movements anymore.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I guess. Increased DI potency will make it far easier to just DI off-stage.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm all for being able to DI out of Chaingrabs but if the highest you can chain is 20% it kinda defeats the purpose. You might as well give them back bralw gravity:chuckle:.

either way things look good.

humble

Smash Ace
Just curious, in sneak's latest vids I noticed that every time snake used jab, he was punished for it; does jab have any guarenteed followups?

shanus

Smash Hero
knockbacks will likely need to be adjusted on most moves to adjust frame advntage

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I figured this. With the new physics some changes may have to be Rechanged. Will fox and Falco get their recovery back? Will Marth get his Long sword back? He looks so dumb swinging that brawl dagger around It just....idk I can't handle it lol.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The swords are the same length, it's just how he holds it. UltiMario has already done some working on fixing up most of the animations, and I've remapped the hitboxes to match the better range.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
WOW the updated physics looks amazing. Seriously, like night and day.

Now I'm curious... what major stuffs still needs to be done? I know there's still tons of character tweaks, but it looks like you guys are about done engine wise with this physics breakthrough.

off the top of my head:

-landing detection (the big one lol)
-JC grab slipperiness shenanigans were mentioned
-tether recovery not auto grabbing the ledge (I heard this can't be done =( nothing came out of link's arrow properties?)
- edge guarding properties (again, it was mentioned that this can't be changed. when you roll, you don't occupy the ledge. I think this change [not really a change] may be for the best, but Marth is gonna have a whole heck of an easier time recovering lol)
- MEWTWO REPLACING LUCARIO OLOLOLOL

Im probably missing a whole bunch, but the progress is excellent from what I can tell. Great job guys!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ledgehop when marth's about to upb and boom, marth is dead.

porting melee attack data still needs to be done. then we'll work on meleefying the remaining brawl characters. then maybe balance.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
The swords are the same length, it's just how he holds it.
Is there anyway you can make it at least appear to be the same length? I mean i'm not the kinda person that memorizes Frames and hitbox data. All I know is what I see and I play based on that so a character who's range is farther then it appears throws me off completely. Then again I haven't actually played this yet so idk.

As for Meleefication whats being done about Wario? Any plans? Also will Pit finally be made into the best character in the game like he should have been >_>

GPDP

Smash Ace
Is there anyway you can make it at least appear to be the same length? I mean i'm not the kinda person that memorizes Frames and hitbox data. All I know is what I see and I play based on that so a character who's range is farther then it appears throws me off completely. Then again I haven't actually played this yet so idk.
As he said, they've been working on it. It involves tweaking Marf's fsmash animation so his shoulder goes forward instead of staying parallel to his torso. They got this, I'm sure.

Anyway, so from what I gather, the only real big headache left is landing detection. There's also knockback data, of course, but as they said, once they find the conversion factor, that should be relatively easy. It's that bloody landing detection that's going to keep this game from reaching the masses for quite some time.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Anyway, so from what I gather, the only real big headache left is landing detection. There's also knockback data, of course, but as they said, once they find the conversion factor, that should be relatively easy. It's that bloody landing detection that's going to keep this game from reaching the masses for quite some time.
What do you mean by landing detection exactly? Cause I see the players wavedash and such. Just interested to hear where the problem lies.

GPDP

Smash Ace
Sorry for the new question but what exactly is landing detection? Is it what causes that strange slide that most characters do?
What do you mean by landing detection exactly? Cause I see the players wavedash and such. Just interested to hear where the problem lies.
Landing detection means exactly that - when the game detects that a character has landed. In Melee, the game detects a character to have landed roughly when their shins reach the floor. In Brawl, the detection was changed to the soles of their feet.

While in a way, the Brawl landing detection technically makes more sense, it stills messes with the Melee "feel," not to mention it doesn't allow for things like Manondorf successfully dairing out of dropping from a platform. Other problems include Falco's shl not reaching as low as it could, and wavedashing being much too easy to do.

So in order for the game to fully and truly feel like Melee, it must have Melee's landing detection, which is why it will not be released until they can fix that.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Here's another good visual: imagine Lovage's Berserker, but every time he tries to waveland on a platform, he misses and diagonal airdodges normally if it was all under Brawl's landing detection. You can actually see it occur in some PM videos; players who are usually pretty confident in their platform waveland may often screw up if they were used to the visual cue the knees usually gave in Melee.

Oh yeah, speaking of SHL: isn't that the same issue behind true missile canceling for Samus?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
All of Marth's attacks animations have been completely redone. <_< You seriously don't need to worry.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We aren't even close to the balancing stage yet. You do realize that balancing comes after characters have their gameplays refined and implemented, right? We can't very well balance Wario when we haven't done anything to make him fit into the Project M environment cleanly.

Project M Physics Demonstration

Originally I was going to run a Wavebird to both my Wii (Project M) and Gamecube (Melee) and do a splitscreen view of the same actions, but wd length hasn't been perfected yet, and well my Wii refuses to load codes at the moment. So this'll have to do. Enjoy my random mess-ups because of direct-to-Dazzle playing 8D

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
How goes the balancing of the characters that were underpowered or not quite top tier in Melee?
Im not a dev (obviously)
but I dont think there will be "major" balancing for anyone untill all the characters are [mostly] done. They will change some old moves (for bad characters) around during development though, I guess that counts as half-balancing.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
are sfx another package or will they be implemented near the final stages when more important things get done?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Still surprised why no one's going ape**** over the physics, unless you guys were silly and didn't check the last page.

humble

Smash Ace
We aren't even close to the balancing stage yet. You do realize that balancing comes after characters have their gameplays refined and implemented, right? We can't very well balance Wario when we haven't done anything to make him fit into the Project M environment cleanly.

Originally I was going to run a Wavebird to both my Wii (Project M) and Gamecube (Melee) and do a splitscreen view of the same actions, but wd length hasn't been perfected yet, and well my Wii refuses to load codes at the moment. So this'll have to do. Enjoy my random mess-ups because of direct-to-Dazzle playing 8D
Thanks Strong, it's looking great. Kirby's nair animation and his hilarious pancake wavedash are kind of odd, but the rest of it is looking pretty good. Loved the moonwalking and Falcon showcase though.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master

I guess I should have used the word "tweaking" instead of "balancing". Like how Kirby and Pikachu were given moves from 64, i'm curious if anything similar is being done to other Melee characters, or what kind of ideas are being brainstormed.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
SB, I'm not even a huge fan of your project, but from the hacker point in me, I'm going nuts. Like, this is crazy that you guys have the EXACT PHYSICS. I am REALLY interested to see your video idea of you playing with one wavebird on Project M and Melee at the same time. I would love to see it. I'll be following this project more closely from now on.

EDIT: Do you guys have a website, yet? If not, I am willing to donate some free webspace I could make a webpage for you on. It wouldn't be a dot com. Just a place that you could have a more centralized place to tell things to the public.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes, we do have a website. It's located here. Additionally, it's not exactly my project. :p Shanus is the project head, as is SHeLL I believe.
I appreciate your interest in the project and open-mindedness. Exactly the kind of response I like to see from a non-melee player. :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
All of Marth's attacks animations have been completely redone. <_< You seriously don't need to worry.
Still surprised why no one's going ape**** over the physics, unless you guys were silly and didn't check the last page.
I saw the video and I had to change my pants!

WTF Kirby Vanishes when he WD's to me lol. That is awesome. The New physics and animations look good especially on marth. He looks much more like himself now and so does everyone.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
DANG! Those physics look amazing!

Before I had doubts that this would be released this year, but now I don't think it would be to bold to say that this may come out before october. Keep up the good work guys!

warpd

Smash Apprentice
The smoke he produces hides him because he is so short. He is still visible...I think, I can't really see him that well.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's almost as if Kirby goes into some sort of... crouching animation upon landing during an air dodge. I believe it's an aspect specific to Kirby.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
DANG! Those physics look amazing!

Before I had doubts that this would be released this year, but now I don't think it would be to bold to say that this may come out before october. Keep up the good work guys!
I agree. I think this thing could actually make its debut at something like ROM3 in November. That would be ****!

Kirby disappears when he wavedashes O_O
The smoke he produces hides him because he is so short. He is still visible...I think, I can't really see him that well.
Warpd pretty much answered your question. All I know is kirby's WD makes him look like a ****ing ninja! its epic win! I know nobody who plays melee ever cared about Kirby but from those of us who started playing in the 64 days it is really cool to see him look good for a change.

It's almost as if Kirby goes into some sort of... crouching animation upon landing during an air dodge. I believe it's an aspect specific to Kirby.
I think Metaknight should be able to do that also right? Idk I forgot what MK looks like almost:laugh:

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Is there anything happening to make kirby stone more usefull?:p I always found that move pretty dumb but it could be more usefull if tweaked right :p. Crazy Idea: Imagine if it was more like fox's shine that you can wavedash out of XD.

G

genkaku

Every time I see a video with the new physics my brain freaks out on me. Looks like Brawl, moves like melee, Does Not Compute.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Haha, I get the same feeling. I just can't seem to relate the Brawl graphics to Melee's physics, but it sure is ****ing happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom