• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Isn't that exactly the way to do it? The point was to design every character to be on melee top tier level. So you make a design, try it out in one demo, see where it goes, and make another decision after that. It'll be that some characters don't turn out good enough, you can't expect them to get it right on the first try for everyone. But when they do get a few characters to melee top tier level, they shouldn't reverse progress and nerf them just because the rest of the cast isn't up there.

To be fair I agree with a select few of the nerfs Ike got, but not the majority of them
The goal isn't to have everyone top tier Melee level. That would be a dumb goal. Power wise, they are probably aiming for a Peach, Marth, Mario, or Wario kind of level. The process you just described is very slow for a game that does not have patches until many MANY months have passed. It might take you multiple years to have a game that has 10 "Spacie certified" characters at that kind of rate if you try to get it right for a few characters at a time. It's not efficient and it's much more painful to do it that slowly and let so many characters lag behind. Buff the wahzoo out of everyone, give them all CG's and free combos and blah blah. Destroy the character's original personality and feel, but possibly manage to get everyone on a higher level. It's not hard to come up with crazy ****, but it's hard keeping the game feeling like any shade of Melee at that point.

OR, you could buff everyone up over time in a non top tier severe way, make sure you also take care of the Squirtle players in the process. Maybe give them a free evolution to Wartortle? Give D3 a refund on his mallet and instead equip him with a giant rubber chicken? Cmon there are some great ideas out there.

2.1 Ike was an abomination

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I got 3 days off before I go into working like crazy mode, I'ma really try and get out some different videos of tutorials and things I've planned (besides my combo video, RIP unable to replay from disconnect combos)

Also I'm still in frustration how I can't search for posts before the Smashboards update in like any way or form.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I can't even reply to the topics since I can't find my old posts to work off of with my image comparisons I made for Ike's aerials, I know it was in this thread before the SB change but the site search can't find posts prior to the site change and Google can't find it. I'm surprised it's looking like there's no usable way other than unrealistically going through the 2225 pages manually looking.

Also I still need 2.1, and 1.0 from GunBlaze or anyone

The Japanese can make anything a dramatic story line
Whether it's Badmiton http://mangafox.me/manga/smash/v01/c003/12.html
Or them being so bad at driving, they admire the ability to steer a car with one hand ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZJZhtOkjz1Y#t=523s

Kati

Smash Lord
Mewtwo won't fit no matter how well balanced he is. Either he is a legendary who can get beat up by pikachu or a legendary who is op. And there's nothing homosexual about Nana and Popo...

Can someone explain Lucario's "overhaul"? I never found anything describing that when 2.5 was released.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can someone explain Lucario's "overhaul"? I never found anything describing that when 2.5 was released.
The basic thing you can take from the Lucario changes, is that he operates slower. His Down B has more startup, to the point that you can't mindlessly use it for recovering and escaping juggles anymore. Dash Attack was nerfed and I don't remember exactly what they buffed but they wanted Lucario players to actually approach with more than DA -> Side B which was too staple and such a better option than anything else he had. Side B is slower, or at least grabs slower, so he's overall not as safe on shields and has a harder time linking hits into Side B.

Buff wise he got a stronger Nair, a better? Usmash, maybe a bit more power elsewhere. Dunno exactly.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm surprised they never did a Character development spotlight for him, pry would of took ages lol

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Yknow, it be a cool idea to give Lucario's 2.1 downB back, but just make it so that he can get grabbed out of his invincibilty frames on it so it's not as safe but still good for combo setups

...Or just make it like it was in 2.1 only on hit, if they block something like Dash Attack and you cancel into downB, it should be all slow like it is now (someone else had this idea, not sure who)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MY ROMS ARE LEGAL BACKUP ARCHIVAL COPIES THAT I FAP TO

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
The basic thing you can take from the Lucario changes, is that he operates slower.
Well... I don't completely agree. He's slower in a couple of his specials, but he's also faster in different areas. Now, he can OHC during hitlag, and his down-tilt and down-smash are a lot faster. His Aura Sphere Cancel was also buffed so that it goes into wait instead of shield, which means he's a bit more flexible.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That 3D animation is amazing, I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't sprites until they did the camera rotation.

I hope they don't dumb down the speed and mechanics and add more detail to the art style.
Have some faith in Arcsys. People have already confirmed near-perfect frame-by-frame accuracy for the animations compared to xx in the trailer alone.

Lucario's aura sphere cancel was made different because getting free grabs in any pressure string was stupid.

Vashimus

Smash Master
That 3D animation is amazing, I honestly couldn't tell it wasn't sprites until they did the camera rotation.

I hope they don't dumb down the speed and mechanics and add more detail to the art style.
It only seems slower because Youtube videos are capped at 30fps rather than the 60fps GG uses. Unreal Engine isn't the greatest engine, but it's capable of handling the fast paced action.

Yeah, ArcSys absolutely nailed 2.5D, I thought they were sprites at first too. The cel-shading looks amazing, since it more or less preserves the art-style of the sprites. Sol looks like he's been taking dem roids though. :x

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I don't play GG, but I like the older image of that character: besides the obvious more pixelation

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
They are sprites. They may have made 3D models for that 1 frame so they could rotate the camera Matrix-style to look cool for the trailer, but look at the in-game animations. The frames of animation per second are lower than even the 30 frames per second you can see on youtube. If they were 3D models being animated, there would be interpolation to smooth out the animations, but there is none. It's just very good sprite animation.

Man, Daisuke Ishiwatari is such a great composer. Dunno about those lyrics though...

Burnsy

Smash Lord
They are sprites. They may have made 3D models for that 1 frame so they could rotate the camera Matrix-style to look cool for the trailer, but look at the in-game animations. The frames of animation per second are lower than even the 30 frames per second you can see on youtube. If they were 3D models being animated, there would be interpolation to smooth out the animations, but there is none. It's just very good sprite animation.

Man, Daisuke Ishiwatari is such a great composer. Dunno about those lyrics though...
I noticed the apparent low # of animation frames too, but I wouldn't take this as evidence that they are in fact sprites. Even in comparison to a 2D game like Skullgirls, there is very little animated movement between the beginning and end of each move. Looking at it closely, however, it seems that they are in fact 3D models that just dont animate very much. I was talking with Zman about this and he thinks it is intentional to make the 3D stand out less and allow the characters to look like sprites, at least until the camera pans.

I'm not sure what they would accomplish by leading people on if with the matrix-style panning if they are in fact sprites, a lot of the reason this looks exciting to people is that it is implied to be entirely 3D while looking as good as it does.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

Vashimus

Smash Master
Those are in fact 3D models, merely skipping animations to resemble the old sprite animations. Smash does the same thing with G&W, who's really just a flattened 3D model.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord

Sprites on Unreal Engine?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
My morale to play good has been shot since I lost that replay combo from a purposeful disconnnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom