• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatoo

Smash Rookie
Hey, I was wondering if anybody here has a common file for Project M 2.5 that uses SJS's character portraits?

SpiderMad

Smash Master

Everything's coming along awesomely with my laptop and stream set-up: I have a Wii cable that has the 3 normal prongs (Audio left/right, Composite video) but it has a 4th prong which is S-video, and the video signal of the S-video can go to my TV while somehow also exporting to the Composite video (The yellow cable) at the same time with NO loss of quality: In fact if I didn't have this Wii cable and I split the composite video cable it makes the quality way worse (it could be that my splitters are cheap). I could also record the higher quality S-video and play on the Composite, but I'd rather play on supposedly higher quality than record it. Also btw below some of the cables you will also see my Monster Wii component cables being used on my CRT tv which are AWESOME quality but sadly I'd need an expensive component recording device to still play on it (Right now I'm using a Kworld 2.0 which metroid uses and was ~$20 when I got it and I figured it out to work on Windows 8 so I'm happy about that)

I can't tell you how I'm making due with some of the most lower end everything: my laptop doesn't even have a mic port so I have to use this http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1363059762&sr=8-6&keywords=headset adapter usb which hasn't come yet (Once I get it I need to configure Virtual Audio Cable to work right)

So there's that, and here's a list of everything else with the price of when I got it:
the Kworld USB 2.0 recorder (~$20)
Splitters (I only need 2 for my current set-up, ~$2) [BUY BETTER ONES THAN I DID]
Laptop (~$270)
Awesome Wii cable http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Composite-Yellow-S-Video-Stereo/dp/B003L16ZBI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363059901&sr=1-1&keywords=wii cable s video I'm going to guess many of you don't use this, when S-video allows you better quality along with NO splitters needed (which reduce quality) since you can use either the composite video and record with the S-video or the opposite.
6 foot USB extenders (~$2) [I got 6 foot because Kworld is freaking short USB cable but also because if you go much higher like 18 feet or something certain devices start to not work)

peeup

Smash Lord
Question: Why did they get rid of Pokemon Trainer? I thought the force switch was a cool mechanic, and Project M could have balanced it to make Stamina not stupid. Why split him up into 3 totally separate characters? So much less fun that way.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You're in the vast minority in your opinion. Most people that liked PT in Brawl would much rather use an individual Pokemon than be forced to switch.

peeup

Smash Lord
But, like, we already have 30 odd solo characters. Is just 1 character that necessitates switching really that bad? And honestly if anybody in Brawl who played PT only wanted one character, they're playing the wrong character. Other characters do what he does, but better. What made him interesting was the forced switch, the stamina (though it was implemented poorly), and the bypassing of diminishing returns.

peeup

Smash Lord
Solution:
Replace Water Gun with Bubble (I hear that nobody uses Water Gun anyway)
Have Ivysaur's neutral special be seed bomb, then when his bulb is fully charged turn it into Solar Beam, a la the final smash.
Make Charizard's grounded up special launch him up in the air

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Congrats you've taken away one of zard's main killing options and a way to heal/easily charge solar beam. Trust me, we had a very long discussion about Pokemon trainer and whether or not we should split him up. We are definitely happy with the results.

peeup

Smash Lord
Wait how did I take away one of Zard's killing options? If it's his glide attack, shouldn't he, like, not be so reliant on his glide attack? And from what I've seen, Ivy's Synthesis heals cerca 5% per usage, which isn't a whole lot. And I don't know how much it charges his bulb, but it would make sense to me that a game trying to cut down on Brawl's campiness would want to enforce hitting with a bulb attack rather than running away and charging Synthesis.

I do apologize for having a stick up my ass, but it really doesn't make sense why you would dismantle one of the most interesting characters in the game. You could have given each Pokemon the additional mechanics and options that you did, without needing that one extra move slot for each one.

I mean, didn't you change Wario to be more representative of pre-Wario Ware games? Along that same line of thinking, wouldn't it make sense to retain PT's ability to swap Pokemon? Switching Pokemon is, like, the defining characteristic of combat in Pokemon games. Aside from weaknesses/resistances, but that wouldn't make sense in the context of Smash.

The johns are strong with this one.
lol come on man I'm trying to be reasonable, I'm doing my best to restrain my boiling #fanboy blood.

peeup

Smash Lord
I was talking about zard's upb being his kill move that would be taken away by being replaced by fly.
Does Zard use his up b to kill on the ground? Didn't know that, that's my bad. But still, there are other ways of giving him kill options than removing his core mechanic.

ds22

Smash Lord
So instead of having three individual characters with vastly different playstyles being separate, you want them to be bound together by a switch 'mechanic' (read: annoyance) that not only forces you to switch on death, but also weakens the characters over time and have them take more or less knockback depending on what type of element hitbox they've been hit by?
Because I can see that that is SOOOOOOO much better than each of them playing like normal characters and having regular down B's. ¬.¬

It's like standardtoaster said, it has been discussed to death, and ultimately it was decided to split them, a decision the PMBR hasn't regretted since.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Question: Why did they get rid of Pokemon Trainer? I thought the force switch was a cool mechanic, and Project M could have balanced it to make Stamina not stupid. Why split him up into 3 totally separate characters? So much less fun that way.

As a PT main, I have to disagree with your opinion. I guess going into details will not do anything to change your mind, so lemme resume: Stamina is dumb. Forced switching sucks. And the only thing that held them together, to begin with, was Red and a FS; other than that, they were already radically different enough to be their own characters. That's why other mods separated them, but, due to lack of knowledge at the time, the option to play as the team was kept. Project M, on the other hand, made them justice.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
youre literally the only person ive ever seen with this opinion

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
So for those of you who haven't being paying attention to the 'Tier List Speculation' thread, I am basically looking to make a thread with people who I (and a few others) feel represent a character the best with the purpose of helping to progress the PM Scene. It's not a 'Who's the best?' challenge, multiple people can be on the list for 1 character

At the moment i'm being pretty liberal for who I add on there but if you feel you've seen someone who represents their character really well (vids are required of course) then just put them on the list. :)
Being on the list doesn't guarantee that the said person will be in the thread when it is made.

Bowser - Gimpyfish, Kirk
Captain Falcon -
Charizard - Metroid
Diddy Kong - Disco, GuruKid, Vro
Donkey Kong - Strong Bad, Eli
Falco -
Fox -
Game & Watch - Dakpo
Ganondorf - Kage
Ike - Vro, Nintendude
Ivysaur - TheReflexWonder, Vwins
Jigglypuff -
King Dedede - Fly Amanita
Link - Hylian
Lucario - Fuzzyness
Lucas -
Luigi - Eli
Mario - Wobbles, Hungrybox
Marth -
Ness - Awestin, SinisterB, NKGuy
Peach -
Pikachu - Axe
Pit - Archangel, Armada, SaiXeven
R.O.B. - Oracle, JCaesar
Sheik -
Snake - Professor Pro
Sonic - Sethlon, Wizzrobe
Squirtle -
Toon Link - Jolteon, Okami
Wario - TheReflexWonder, Alpha Dash
Wolf - Silent Wolf, Chillindude829
Zelda - Zhime, Ryoko
Zero Suit Samus - Vanz, Leffen, Oro

leelue

Smash Lord
After the stream of this tournament on saturday you should add me on there for Ganon q:

Also I can't believe that Nobody's brought this up yet! Splitting up PT keeps them from being immune to counterpicking, which is already a debate with Zelda/Sheik. This is arguably more important than any other reason... bad pmbr for not mentioning this... bad.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hrm, all this PT discussion got me thinking:

Why weren't Sheik and Zelda separated for the same reason?

JOE!

Smash Hero
you forgot the (tm)

But no, really. PT was seperated because each of them were vastly different and could be helped by having their "own" set. Sure, Shiek was fine on her own but was still attached to Zelda who's best move is still DownB.

Vashimus

Smash Master
It's not May 25th yet, toasty.

EDIT: In regards to Red's Pokemon being seperate characters, this one of the smartest decisions the PMBR has ever made. Left as is, the forced switching from getting KO'd and the stamina system stops you from only using the Pokemon best suited for the matchup. So you even if you want to stay as Squirtle against Fox, you're going to be forced to switch to Ivysaur or Charizard eventually, who'll fair worse against him. So, unlike Zelda/Shiek, it essentially forces you to master all three of the characters in order to do well in any matchup, and in the end, the learning curve just isn't worth it.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
That whole forced switch and stamina always seemed to me like a really unfair and annoying mechanic, i for one really like them being seperated (especially Zard) it's pretty cool.

On another note, i understand that some people want to see old melee outcasts like roy and mewtwo back but i just think that the only cool character that could come back is mewtwo, and because he could have lots of different moves thanks to his character (he could resemble lucario from brawl, and his changes going into PM) compared to all of the other characters that would simply be clones of the melee cast. I mean i think that people that would want pichu, Doc, and ylink back would be in a very small minority, and even then roy would also just end up as a clone of marth, so i only see M2 as the one to come back. Just my rant on it

JOE!

Smash Hero
What I mean is every other character that was like PT/Zelda has been separated except for Zelda and Sheik. Why are they still together when the others aren't beyond "cus melee"? Not that I don;t like it, just honestly curious when it seems their design is being purged wherever else it appears lol.

peeup

Smash Lord
Thank you for not just instantly flaming me JOE. And I do see where y'all are coming from wanting to split of the 3 Pokes. So here's just a question regarding technical limitations/what you guys have the power to change, because I honestly don't know:

The time it took to swap Pokemon in Brawl was dependent on load times, or something like that. Would the PMBR have been able to make it like an instant switch or something? Because when I first saw PT on the dojo, I assumed he would play like a tag team you would see in a Street Fighter-esque game. Like, rack up a combo with Squirtle, then quick switch to Ivysaur to finish the combo. Or switch to Zard to take a big hit, then back to Squirtle to counter.

I'm assuming doing something like that would have been technically impossible to pull off, or at least impossible to balance. But now I'm just curious.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Thank you for not just instantly flaming me JOE. And I do see where y'all are coming from wanting to split of the 3 Pokes. So here's just a question regarding technical limitations/what you guys have the power to change, because I honestly don't know:

The time it took to swap Pokemon in Brawl was dependent on load times, or something like that. Would the PMBR have been able to make it like an instant switch or something? Because when I first saw PT on the dojo, I assumed he would play like a tag team you would see in a Street Fighter-esque game. Like, rack up a combo with Squirtle, then quick switch to Ivysaur to finish the combo. Or switch to Zard to take a big hit, then back to Squirtle to counter.

I'm assuming doing something like that would have been technically impossible to pull off, or at least impossible to balance. But now I'm just curious.
IIRC, transformation time is slightly based on the actual loading of the character, and it's common to see slight differences of transformation time. Im guessing this means that the game needs that time to load the character, and sometimes not even that is enough. I thought about what it would be like if both were loaded at the same time, but I believe that would start to lag.

The Wii isn't THAT powerful, and it runs off of a disc.

peeup

Smash Lord
Yeah that's kinda what I figured. Hmph, well I'll never be happy about PT getting split up, but I guess I can see why the PMBR did it. Still, I think the character as a whole would have been more interesting if they worked more on unifying the Pokemon than separating them.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I was in the PMBR at the time of the Pokemon Trainer debate, and was in the minority of wanting to keep Pokemon Trainer.
I was in favor of finding a way to fix their switching mechanics, but frankly few other people were keen on the idea.
To me, Pokemon Trainer is an exciting concept and as an idea it's one of the things Brawl got right. That's just the concept though; in the actual execution of Pokemon Trainer in Brawl there's a lot to be desired.
Getting rid of stamina and finding a way to fix their switch mechanics as a start would have made for an overall better character in my opinion. Part of the issue wasn't coming up with a way to fix their change mechanics, which I'm sure could be done when minds are put to it, but programming it. There was also claims that individual Pokemon would be more popular than Pokemon Trainer would ever be, which I think is sadly true, and that it's better to have three different characters that appeal to different players. I can sympathize with that, but personally I would rather have a totally unique character that is like nobody else in the cast even if it is less popular in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom