• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
My friend thought that as well, then he met Wolf's d-smash. If it becomes that bad, a ledge grab limit could be put in the rule sets rather easily I imagine.

And with it being Melee, there are ways around most ledge stalling, and in general there are better ways of fighting, for both competitors, than ledge stalling. Unlike Brawl, the ledge isnt the safest place.
You ought to read David Sirlin's article on why Guilty Gear is the best balanced fighting game. It'll teach you why this mentality is not a good one for game design.

What it boils down to is that you're gambling that nothing will come up that outright breaks a particular mechanic. Sure, you may be right. But you could also be very wrong. It just comes down to luck, and really, it's better to just put in a safeguard so that in the event you're wrong, then you have a fallback option.

Basically, if you have some kind of diminishing returns mechanic on ledge grabs, and there's never any broken ledgestalling method, then it's a wash, and the worst you can say is you have an unnecessary balance mechanic. But if there is a broken ledgestall tactic, then you have a ready-made way to balance it, and a lot of time down the road is saved from trying to fix broken **** so you can actually fine tune the game's more subtle balance issues.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Had a fun little round robin tournament at a smashfest here yesterday, thought I would post the results just cause.

1st/2nd*: Tmacc :bowser2: 13-9
(3-2 vs Hylian, 3-2 vs Geno, 3-0 vs Sam, 1-3 vs Darkatma, 3-2 vs Paul)

* Hylian wins if tiebreaker goes : Sets -> Wins/Losses -> Head to Head
* Tmacc wins if tiebreaker goes: Sets -> Head to Head -> Wins/Losses
I used Marth and Lucas too, just for the record :cool:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Games that kicked ***

Ps1
MicroManiacs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzBs1id7pbY
The Unholy War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp-VTM8IzN0

Ps2
Savage Skies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYGOx4aPL8

GC
Lost Kingdoms 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7jjSzhd3Q
Gotcha Force
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt3rOKI27w

I am more looking for an argument AGAINST adding ledge grab diminishing returns. I know it may not be necessary.
I can just tell you I don't like the Idea: as much as you'd think it'd help, it'd add an unnecessary aspect to something that was already partly addressed. Ledge invincibility was reduced by 1 frame than Melee's, Melee's is 1 frame less than Brawl's. If you reduced it any more it could very well take the point out of refreshing your invincibility or the points of using it when you're doing something to get back on the stage (The first laser of ledge hop DL being invincible and stuff like this). But that's if you reduce it anymore, if we talk about the diminish idea I think that has issues as well. Well first off it's not like Brawl/Melee, but you're really taking away options as well: and I frankly think that's stupid (depending on the level of it). Ike's 2 WJ limit took away a lot of options, as well as the options the opponent had to deal with it. If you can't deal with ledge stalling in P:M (which is again 1 frame less than Melee's), then either it's slightly your character's inabilities or mostly you're inabilities as a player. Again though, the 1 frame thing does make a difference along with Sheik's Shino stall being much harder to perform: this isn't the same concepts when applied to Melee. In P:M you should be FULLY capable to deal with it, and if you're not then that's just stupid that the game deals with it for you by ripping out an in-depth aspect that's seen as just an annoying problem. You might think you're going to gain so many positive aspects about how you have to "think" about how many times you re-grab the edge, just like the phony statement Ike has to "space" his moves, but you'll see that it's artificial depth and subtracts other aspects and options from the game (Ike's spacing ideal isn't decent like Marth's, it's already a flimsy ideal that you have to hit with the closer portion of the move: but his moves are slow which adds to the issue in a lot of ways).

Adding diminishes/limits to everything doesn't always add depth, it can create boring and uncreative (predetermined) play/characters; similar to Brawl thinking it was a good idea to make you think more about stale moves so it added direct KB staling upon already Melee's damage staling.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
but why cant we just change the game so i dont have to get better at stuff

l cancel discussion
:x

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm forced to quite often. Not many people play the game locally from what I can tell, and although Dallas has a pretty solid scene going on they are still roughly 2 hours away from me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I can just tell you I don't like the Idea: as much as you'd think it'd help, it'd add an unnecessary aspect to something that was already partly addressed. Ledge invincibility was reduced by 1 frame than Melee's, Melee's is 1 frame less than Brawl's. If you reduced it any more it could very well take the point out of refreshing your invincibility or the points of using it when you're doing something to get back on the stage (The first laser of ledge hop DL being invincible and stuff like this). But that's if you reduce it anymore, if we talk about the diminish idea I think that has issues as well. Well first off it's not like Brawl/Melee, but you're really taking away options as well: and I frankly think that's stupid (depending on the level of it). Ike's 2 WJ limit took away a lot of options, as well as the options the opponent had to deal with it. If you can't deal with ledge stalling in P:M (which is again 1 frame less than Melee's), then either it's slightly your character's inabilities or mostly you're inabilities as a player. Again though, the 1 frame thing does make a difference along with Sheik's Shino stall being much harder to perform: this isn't the same concepts when applied to Melee. In P:M you should be FULLY capable to deal with it, and if you're not then that's just stupid that the game deals with it for you by ripping out an in-depth aspect that's seen as just an annoying problem. You might think you're going to gain so many positive aspects about how you have to "think" about how many times you re-grab the edge, just like the phony statement Ike has to "space" his moves, but you'll see that it's artificial depth and subtracts other aspects and options from the game (Ike's spacing ideal isn't decent like Marth's, it's already a flimsy ideal that you have to hit with the closer portion of the move: but his moves are slow which adds to the issue in a lot of ways).

Adding diminishes/limits to everything doesn't always add depth, it can create boring and uncreative (predetermined) play/characters; similar to Brawl thinking it was a good idea to make you think more about stale moves so it added direct KB staling upon already Melee's damage staling.
Disagree--Invincibility frames are generally a polarizing aspect of any fighting game, and the current ledge invincibility allows most characters to be in neutral position with invincibility frames still active for long enough to do an invincible grab, Jab, fast tilt/Smash, or just go back to the ledge, and I think that it could get to be a problem, especially when it makes every other ledge option obsolete.

Only time will tell, I suppose...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have been told that I am the Wifi mass destructor/fun ruiner/Jedi by my friends. They'd rather play vs each other, or force me to go characters I'm not familiar with to get an edge.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Sorry for not responding, I had gone to sleep after posting last.

@Ph00tbag
I understand what you mean, punishing people for doing nothing would be bad, but allowing a one sided mechanic to be abused would be equally bad.

If possible, would ledge invincibility after 5 grabs be a good compromise? 4 or 5 regrabs isnt really stalling, its just choosing your time to come back to the stage. If you look at almost any player, they do 2 or 3 almost every time they recover, to be unpredictable when coming back, not to stall the clock. It wouldn't effect the current game play, but it would punish deliberate stalling.

These are just thoughts, not really suggestions. If it becomes a trend at any point, it might be needed, but until then I think it can do without it.

Stevo

Smash Champion
thanks for the responses guys.

I really don't think it would affect gameplay much, especially if you made it diminish at a slow rate (or just made the frist few grabs the full invincibility). Perhaps it might be best to just wait until it shows to be abusable. I'm pretty sure SOMETHING is going to come up, just a matter of time imo.

Revven

FrankerZ
I probably already know the answer to this question, but will P:M have a panel at EVO?
We're trying to get in touch with Mr.Wizard or the Cannons to find out whether or not we qualify for a panel and/or booth like at Apex 2013.

We'll let everybody know for sure as soon as we can, but we're not promising anything. However, some of us are going to attempt to go to Evo anyway whether or not P:M is there in some form. So you should definitely try to find some of us! :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Cause I'm usually already playing with my friends if I'm on wifi lol. You or Steve invite me sometime

otter

Smash Ace
been playing p:m since friday, and as expected, I am loving Ivysaur. I had to change my control scheme because apparently you cant short hop on the shoulder buttons in this game. I really don't like the idea of having jumping and attacking share a finger (marvel player), but ill get used to it.

L canceling is easier than I expected although I still have trouble getting things to combo according to training mode. cant wavedash effectively though...

JOE!

Smash Hero
Training mode records "true" combos, aka hits that will always link. Due to DI however its possible to get large strings of hits just by reading the foe, not guarenteed, but certainly rewarding and much more involved.

:phone:

SunJester

Smash Ace
I really hope you guys can get PM into Evo. It'd be pretty cool if you could steal away some of the innevitable new Melee players and get them to play the far superior Smash game. =D

Kati

Smash Lord
^

Also, wifi is still wifi... but does this advance apply to replays?

iLink

Smash Champion
I've gotten a few desynchs with replays of ZSS. Clanking with her whip seems to be causing it.

Slashy

Smash Lord
So Pat Cashman (Brawl's voice for Master Hand), added me as a connection on LinkedIn. I left it up to Strong Bad to figure out how to hopefully seize this opportunity and get him to say the game's title.

However, Dean Harrington (Melee's voice for Master Hand) was REALLY interested in Project:M and was willing to voice overs if the community was willing to compensate him. Considering what we managed for EVO/Breast cancer, this will be a walk in the park.

So perhaps if sound replacement is possible for Project:M, you'll be able to pick between the Brawl and Melee announcers!

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
So Pat Cashman (Brawl's voice for Master Hand), added me as a connection on LinkedIn. I left it up to Strong Bad to figure out how to hopefully seize this opportunity and get him to say the game's title.

However, Dean Harrington (Melee's voice for Master Hand) was REALLY interested in Project:M and was willing to voice overs if the community was willing to compensate him. Considering what we managed for EVO/Breast cancer, this will be a walk in the park.

So perhaps if sound replacement is possible for Project:M, you'll be able to pick between the Brawl and Melee announcers!
theres no question about it, Dean Harrington :D

batistabus

Smash Journeyman

WHAT. MY POOR WALLET. Let's get him to do it without the echo effect this time, please.

Also,

OK, here is what im proposing.

Apex ruleset. Ice climbers are free to wobble, pause disabled, 4 stock, 8 minutes, 2/3 games, warmups limited to 30 seconds (to make sure your controllers are working).

We will narrow it down to top 8 via one day, but you can play casuals and run side tournaments the other free day.

Thoughts?
Melee doubles with P:M side-tournament? Please?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

Source ?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm fine with no doubles. Melee's main attraction is already in, and those other events can be delegated to smash-specific events and venues, should they prove cumbersome for something like EVO.

#freeiceclimbers
#boingboingboing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom