• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
sfv: my first casual match was against a ken that didn't know how to block crossups and rage quit when I won

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Good. One less R. Mika to worry about.

In case y'all haven't seen this, J.Wong made a big *** list of combos he's been doing. I'm a scrub who's still trying to get hold on links so one of you good players try this.
Yeah, I've been using that same advance combo for Mika. She's got the tools to get you into the corner, and the tools to keep you there while she breaks every bone in your body.

MUSCLE SPIRIT, BABY

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
to judge a fighting game only a handful of moments into its existence is a bit foolhardy considering the general origins of super smash bros as a competitive format

people thought that you basically got nothing after knockdown in vanilla SF4, and that charge characters were king. despite the fact that fei long was pretty much strong enough to be godlike in every version, he somehow managed to be heavily buffed in two versions alone, because nobody properly usef him well until 2011

Bleck

Smash Master
any time I look at a combo and it starts with a jump in I'm like "nah"

in fact any combo that's more than like three hits I'm like yeah no sorry that's too much work

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Just let Bleck play Guile or Gief or some other character doesn't center around combos. Him not liking combos just means that he'd rather be zoning or prefer footsies.

Bleck

Smash Master
footsies and zoning is generally safer than "man I sure hope I don't **** up this 1-frame link, 'cause if I do they can probably punish me really hard and I don't think taking 400 damage is gonna be worth the extra 80 that I might get if I land this last HK"

Just let Bleck play Guile or Gief
I'm currently maining Rashid but if it turns out that he's only good as some kind of combomonster then yeah I'm switching to Gief (or Alex when he's released)

this is also why my Smash 4 main is Dedede and why I'm bad at Melee and only as good in PM as the grapplers are (i.e not at all)

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
footsies and zoning is generally safer than "man I sure hope I don't **** up this 1-frame link, 'cause if I do they can probably punish me really hard and I don't think taking 400 damage is gonna be worth the extra 80 that I might get if I land this last HK"
>1-frame links
>Sleep Fighter V

They're all 3 frames, everything is 3 frames, nothing less.

Bleck

Smash Master
yeah, but, see, the thing is, who cares

anyone who thinks that 3 frames is notably easier than 1 frame has probably already graduated from korean frame counting school so it doesn't matter, and everyone who thinks that 1 frame was kind of a bull**** window (ahem!) was not, I assure you, asking for 3 frames instead

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
yeah, but, see, the thing is, who cares

anyone who thinks that 3 frames is notably easier than 1 frame has probably already graduated from korean frame counting school so it doesn't matter, and everyone who thinks that 1 frame was kind of a bull**** window (ahem!) was not, I assure you, asking for 3 frames instead
1/20th of a second sounds a lot easier than 1/60th, and I'm garbo at SF. Only "combo" I can do consistently is Ryu's MP > HP > HK and that's a ****ing Target Combo so that doesn't even really count.

(jk, I can also F.HP > Shoryu)

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
My fortune cookie told me that "You have strong spiritual powers. You should choose to develop them."

Now I shall not only look really really strong for the living, but also for the dead. Call me if you need an exorcist. I will cast out that demon with Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect.

evo sux im goin to anime expo fam
Good choice. That way I won't have to body you for the third time when I could be spending the time boding some other nerd.

Bleck

Smash Master
1/20th of a second sounds a lot easier than 1/60th, and I'm garbo at SF. Only "combo" I can do consistently is Ryu's MP > HP > HK and that's a ****ing Target Combo so that doesn't even really count.
see the thing is, average human reaction time is around 15 frames-ish, assuming 60fps - I'm not exaggerating when I say that there's basically a lot of FGC people who can literally count frames after decades of practice, and that FG developers don't understand that most people can't ****in' do that

increasing the frame window by two frames really doesn't mean anything- the only reasonable way to make the game more physically accessible is a buffer, of probably like, ten frames, but if you start throwin' the b-word around people are gonna have mad tantrums

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
3 frame link means you have 3 frames to continue one move of your combo into another move on certain things. In sf4 alot of theme were only 1 frame

Bleck

Smash Master
He's asking if you hit, check to make sure it hit, then continue with the next hit, with every hit. Which you don't need to do, because if a hit confirms, you're gucci
nnnnope, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
nnnnope, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything
You made a point against 3FL by referencing average human reaction time when that's really not the factor that comes into play here. Rather, what's being tested is the ability to time presses well after you've initiated the combo. At the point of continuing your punish, no part of a combo requires reactive play. I think that's what Kurri was getting at.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
You made a point against 3FL by referencing average human reaction time when that's really not the factor that comes into play here. Rather, what's being tested is the ability to time presses well after you've initiated the combo. At the point of continuing your punish, no part of a combo requires reactive play. I think that's what Kurri was getting at.
you misunderstand; I'm saying it's hard to learn the timing on the button presses for combos because human reaction time isn't fast enough to be able to register what you've done correctly without previous experience in learning how to do this - people who aren't already skilled at reproducing timing for combos in games like this are going to be told something like "combo Ryu's standing medium punch into a crouching hard punch" and they're going to go into training mode and have no idea how to do that other than just mashing the second input and hoping that they can guess where the timing is

the expectation is that it's gonna take a couple of minutes for them to get it down, but what the experienced players don't understand is that telling a person who is new to this whole thing to sit down and practice a thing that has a 1/20th of a second window of success is going to take hours of practice, doing a thing that has barely any feedback in a pedagogic capacity, and what shouldn't be a surprise is that telling them "well it used to be even harder" isn't going to help them learn it any faster, nor is it going to convince them that learning it is a good use of their time

my point is making the 1-frame links into 3-frame links only made it easier for people who already played fighting games often to do them, but does not make learning or practicing combos as a new player any significantly easier

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
you misunderstand; I'm saying it's hard to learn the timing on the button presses for combos because human reaction time isn't fast enough to be able to register what you've done correctly without previous experience in learning how to do this - people who aren't already skilled at reproducing timing for combos in games like this are going to be told something like "combo Ryu's standing medium punch into a crouching hard punch" and they're going to go into training mode and have no idea how to do that other than just mashing the second input and hoping that they can guess where the timing is

the expectation is that it's gonna take a couple of minutes for them to get it down, but what the experienced players don't understand is that telling a person who is new to this whole thing to sit down and practice a thing that has a 1/20th of a second window of success is going to take hours of practice, doing a thing that has barely any feedback in a pedagogic capacity, and what shouldn't be a surprise is that telling them "well it used to be even harder" isn't going to help them learn it any faster, nor is it going to convince them that learning it is a good use of their time

my point is making the 1-frame links into 3-frame links only made it easier for people who already played fighting games often to do them, but does not make learning or practicing combos as a new player any significantly easier
Traditional fighters have always had that huge barrier to entry, though, and it's pretty difficult to take away that barrier without significantly changing a lot of things that are very central to the game - like that tech skill.

That's a big part of why I like smash, though - it's more reactive combo-wise and much of the game you can just kind of "feel out" with practice and general play.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Holy hell, there's actually a bigger scrub than me in this thread?!

Idk if I should feel happy or sad.
I'm pretty sure no one is as scrubby as I am.

Mad Catz when are you going to announce the winners of your giveaway? I need my stick!

Traditional fighters have always had that huge barrier to entry, though, and it's pretty difficult to take away that barrier without significantly changing a lot of things that are very central to the game - like that tech skill.

That's a big part of why I like smash, though - it's more reactive combo-wise and much of the game you can just kind of "feel out" with practice and general play.
Rising Thunder seems to have done well. At least that's what people tell me.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude

You're talking about the initial learning curve and intuition of actually grasping combos in regards to this. I don't particularly disagree with you on that either, I just don't think that point was made especially clear in your earlier posts. Your last sentence references what you said earlier but the full context makes complete sense. Admittedly, being a place where a lot of FG stuff is a given to me now makes it a lot easier to overlook all that so sometimes things need to be put into perspective.

You're not an unreasonable person. I think you struggle with making presumptions about perception that few others (especially in PMS where most of the members already understand intermediate to advanced FG knowledge) will share without it being stated otherwise.

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra

What I always did for finding the timing of links such as ryu St.HK(stand hard kick) > St.LK(stand low kick) was to do St.HK then hold up after pressing the button. You will jump as soon as the HK is over. I do that a few times to get a rough idea of how long I need to wait before pressing the next button. I can usually get the timing down after about 5 mins. It's the best way I've figured out for getting timings down.

This is the exact same method I use to help people stop mashing buttons to get a link out and start timing then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom