• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Nosferatu (1922) is often considered to be one of the greatest horror films, if not one of the greatest films, of all time.
Yet, Bram Stoker was aggressively protecting his trademark on Dracula at the time, and ordered all copies of the infringing work to e destroyed.
The only reason it exists today is because it was loved enough to keep getting passed around underground until the seventieth anniversary of Stoker's death, the moment Dracula passed into public domain.

Seeing some parallels here? Because I am. (Then again, though, I do have a fever rn...)

Zarek

Smash Rookie
Unsure if this is the right place to post, and if not feel free to direct me elsewhere. I need a scene to join in the Houston, Tx area. Be it a local or just someone to play every now and again. Any takers?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Need to MM ez at Olympus. Then play Melee and try to beat people with Pichu. Then get Top 8 in P:M. Then idk about Smash 4.
Once they finish fusing 20XX and SD Remix (it's happening already and I believe Achilles is just doing last minute stuff/testing with it now) toggle Pichu to SD:R and proceed to mollywhop everyone. Pichu is so DUMB in that LOOL

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Tried to update PSO2 yesterday, got a black screen with sounds after the intro video. Looks like I'm in for a fresh install.
http://arks-layer.com/setup.php
You're in for a wait.

By player id do you mean the sega one or the one I named the character with
Neither. Upon logging in, but before making a character, they ask you to enter a name. That name is your Player ID.

Unsure if this is the right place to post, and if not feel free to direct me elsewhere. I need a scene to join in the Houston, Tx area. Be it a local or just someone to play every now and again. Any takers?
Where in Houston? I live in Sugar Land.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How is any of that special
Every character can waveland off platforms and moonwalk (except a few who can't moonwalk)
The only thing unique was the side-b edge grab but in PM most of the time you don't need weird tech to turn around for an edge grab since you can just rar to wd or dd to wd off.

Went to local monthly on Saturday. Got knocked out of PM immediately but proceeded to make it to Round 4 in Melee.
Haven't played Melee in months. WTF.
Wow fml melee is so easy you can be 50 shades of rust and still win

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
what do you do when you hit a skill plateau? i feel like i've been playing about the same for the last few months (i've been playing for a year), and it's really frustrating not getting any better. nobody lives near here for me to play with, and it's just rough sometimes having to live off netplay to get matches with good players.

i've been practicing pretty heavily, i think. i practice tech skill/movement a lot, i play people who are generally significantly better than me all the time, i read up on matchups, mindset, strategies, i get advice from better players and i study videos of successful players, but i just feel like i'm not getting anywhere, and it's killing my motivation somewhat. i've been to weeklies and grinding out sets with the best players there, but they're acting more like reality checks than moments to improve.

can someone help me out here? i think i need a mindset switch or something. or maybe i'm just misplacing my effort and it's better suited for other aspects of the game? i dunno.
Learn to analyze your gameplay in an efficient way. Then always point on your biggest weakness. If you feel there is not one biggest weakness but a deeper underlying weakness weakening all my game, you need to look at abstract and psychological categories (like mindset, prophylactical thinking, plan thinking or adaptation skills). Try to figure out how to work best on this weakness (it can be costly in mental energy to find your own ways instead of learning how others fight their weaknesses, but everything that is not ingame but beyond works different for every player, so I'd advise you to find your own ways). Try to use your practice results to optimize your training methods. Put your mental energy when playing on that aspect, so the rest of your gameplay is based on your intuition built by previous play and pattern recognition. The second thing should then be to practice being good at that multi-tasked option choice, sometimes you will need it when you have to think about the "big picture" of the game and about adaptation in a set. It is very diificult to adapt in-match otherwise. You can practice that by being confronted with a situation, instantly doing your intuitive choice, then think about it, come to the correct answer (by yourself, to enhance your problem solving abilities). Then let a practice partner confront you with the same situation multiple times (first isolated, then mixed into normal gameplay) and do the correct choice again and again, first needing all the focus and at the end doing it automatically.
When you think you have dealt with that weakness, play a few games and look for your next weakness.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Quick question
I've just seen yet another player do a technique I've seen in Brawl but not in Melee. I can't recall the name (DMX combo ? DMR cancel ? Something along those lines), basically, it consists in dash attacking someone who's shielding near a ledge. For some reason, the dash attack seems to speed up and ledge cancel into you being airborne. If the opponent was facing away from the ledge, he's going to go in his "WEUHARGHBL" animation during which you can do whatever you want to him.

If it is also in Melee or if you recall the name... Care to direct me to the documentation ?
I can't seem to replicate it reliably and I don't really remember all the conditions...

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
the only person i have to play with is my bro, but he doesn't like to play it as much as i do, and he doesn't come over very often
plus, he isn't as into the game as i am, so there is no point trying to get him into it

i must find people to play smash with

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Quick question
I've just seen yet another player do a technique I've seen in Brawl but not in Melee. I can't recall the name (DMX combo ? DMR cancel ? Something along those lines), basically, it consists in dash attacking someone who's shielding near a ledge. For some reason, the dash attack seems to speed up and ledge cancel into you being airborne. If the opponent was facing away from the ledge, he's going to go in his "WEUHARGHBL" animation during which you can do whatever you want to him.

If it is also in Melee or if you recall the name... Care to direct me to the documentation ?
I can't seem to replicate it reliably and I don't really remember all the conditions...
Trek, that's a result of pushblock being able to push players off edges in brawl. What happens is you cross them up the same time your dash attack hits. Pushblock is simply based on your direction from the opponent (left or right depending on your character's center position). If you dash attack towards them and the frame you hit them is also one where you are behind them, pushblock pushes you in the direction you were already going. None of this is new in melee, BUT, the difference is, for as long as you are suffering from pushblock momentum you can be forced to slide off edges, which obv cancels the move. Characters with a lot of momentum on start-up will have an easier time crossing up the shield to hit from behind, and those with lower traction or lots of momentum immediately after the first hit frame(s) of their dash attack can slide off from distances further away from the ledge. It can still happen in PM too.

I'm not exactly sure, though, what determines whether or not you can simultaneously push the shielding character off for a follow-up.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Quick question

I can't answer all of those but you can push people of the edge with dash attacks. It doesn't work for me either because if they are facing towards you they will probably grab the edge and otherwise they can act instantly. I assume if you somehow managed they would not grab the ledge after sliding off, that would cause the effect you described.

EDIT: @ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood ninja'd me

Last edited:

Zarek

Smash Rookie
The Katy area, I think Sugarland is just a trip down Highway 6 for me

Last edited:

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
Wow are people really bringing this **** back up? I've known about the whole Shiz thing for a long ass time, but it has nothing to do with the smash community and he already did his time.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
At school today we decided that throughout the week we would play a small 5 person bracket at lunch.

Today I played the first game, got an easy 2 stock with my Falco vs other kid's Fox, I did this without shffling a single aerial because the Dolphin lag was so bad. Lost game 2 even with a full stock lead because I decided I would stop thinking and just charge F-smashes.

Since I decided I couldn't do anything technical with the lag, I picked Marth on Yoshi's. I had one solid combo but SD'd every time I wanted to edgeguard. Also I missed every grab, even dash dancing was hard with the subtle lag.

I think ironically I would have won if I just continuously f-smashed aproaches game 3. Yes, that is how free we are.

Edit:

The placements for Samus, Jiggs, ICs just to name a few, taken with the fact that there are 7 tiers.

AAAAAAAYYY

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Wow are people really bringing this **** back up? I've known about the whole Shiz thing for a long *** time, but it has nothing to do with the smash community and he already did his time.
Relevance is not a factor. If you have a past worth making fun of, it will be made fun of, no exceptions.
/topic

Last edited:
Top Bottom