• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Raizu

Smash Cadet
Hey, not really sure if this is the place to ask but:
I don't really see a thread on character matchups for project m and/or suggested counter picks for either stages or characters (as in which characters would cover your main's weaknesses or what stages to choose when). I was thinking of making said thread, but wasn't sure if it's already been done or if people would even think it's a good idea to consolidate that information here - should I make one?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Hey, not really sure if this is the place to ask but:
I don't really see a thread on character matchups for project m and/or suggested counter picks for either stages or characters (as in which characters would cover your main's weaknesses or what stages to choose when). I was thinking of making said thread, but wasn't sure if it's already been done or if people would even think it's a good idea to consolidate that information here - should I make one?
Go to any character's subforum and you'll find one.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Someone give me the equations to know everything
Is there a post by like m2k or magnus with all of them or something

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I request that pivot momentum cancelling is disabled in the first available frame for the pivot. A game with Smash 4's advanced tech + WDing would be HYPE, especially since both have their advantages (FAF: P.Pivot: frame 6, WD: frame 11+jumpsquat, but more slide effect for the WD)!
I also had visions about different defensive options, for example different types of shields that could be done by pressing shield in jumpsquat while holding a specific direction. Those shields could look different and have different properties, advantages and disadvantages... Won't be happening, also difficult to makes it not op if you have so many different options...
Implementing a CC-window with active frames and cooldowns similar to the tech window would also be interesting, I always find it a bit sad that jabs and a some characters' tilts are fundamentally bad, but CCing as a whole is worth keeping.
Also, I am bit worried about PM's future... Not too worried, but Apex 2015's decision could be the beginning of the end. We need to create a game where not even the haters could resist. The PMDT never let us down though, and I assume the project will continue, even with an inbetween year of recession.
About Smash 4, I am almost starting to like it, but the ledge trumping mechanic kinda ruins it for me. Maybe I will get used to it somewhen, but the edgegame is one of the most fascinating things about Smash (and especially PM and Melee) for me.

Those are my (Smash) thoughts of the day, Merry Christmas.

By the way, the site where I was totally awesome at mental arithmetic made that a premium feature and now I have less things to make myself proud. Time to practice chess again, I need to end that 3-year hiatus in improving...

Someone give me the equations to know everything
[...]
This comes closest to it :p

Last edited:

Raizu

Smash Cadet
I mean less of an individual character analysis and more of a character tree of strengths and weaknesses for counter picks. For example with say Mewtwo:
His decreased tail length makes him a poor matchup for most swordsmen with greater reach, like Roy. He prefers wider arenas because of his great recovery with low ceilings because of his up throw. However he is floaty so against say Fox, a fast faller, he'd want a higher ceiling since Uthrow won't kill until high percent and Fox's USmash kills him sooner (doesn't it with everyone though?). He has nice combos on fast fallers, so he would be a good character to cover others with those weaknesses (which if other people contributed I could add them)

EDIT: whatever it was just a thought, I probably won't make it anytime soon anyways and if I do you can judge my thread there :p

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@ Chesstiger2612 Chesstiger2612 I personally love that pivots stop momentum. I think it should say the way it is now because we have tons of movement options to fit the situations where Smash 4 pivots would be useful. I don't think PM should try to implement tech from other games just to entice them to play it. PM is a separate entity and should only make changes that the pmdt feels fit their design choices.
I don't think apex will stop PM at all. The onlything killing PM is people worrying about the games popularity instead of just playing it and having events. People like D1 not talking about PM at all once he got a taste of that Nintendo money troubles me, but worrying about that doesn't solve anything.

@ Hinichii.ez.™ Hinichii.ez.™ you gotta just absorb info man, @SpiderMad foes it a lot better than I do.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Almost. You can't move in 3 dimensions so it's more like the derivative partial to x, y, t. I don't understand why people don't remember that.

I was wondering why people seemed so hushed about PM in the Forte 2 melee videos. There was one instance where they were talking about K9 and actively avoided trying to say "Project M". I mean, they were melee videos so it was probably off topic, but still...

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I had a dream a few days ago where I was at my Mum's and found a flight of stairs leading into a basement area, where there was a huge ass bedroom and some really cool en suite bathroom. As my dream went on I basically kept going down more flights of stairs and finding even larger/cooler rooms (mysteriously with sunlight coming through windows), complete with tons of "old" gamecube controllers, electronics etc. that I've never owned IRL. Was like finding a treasure trove of goodies that I had forgotten about, and when I woke up I was really sad.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I had a dream a few days ago where I was at my Mum's and found a flight of stairs leading into a basement area, where there was a huge *** bedroom and some really cool en suite bathroom. As my dream went on I basically kept going down more flights of stairs and finding even larger/cooler rooms (mysteriously with sunlight coming through windows), complete with tons of "old" gamecube controllers, electronics etc. that I've never owned IRL. Was like finding a treasure trove of goodies that I had forgotten about, and when I woke up I was really sad.
You ever have dreams where you look through your pockets and find out there's thousands of dollars in them?
They're the worst dreams ever.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Spent like 3 hours playing turbo mode stamina set knockback this morning, because my brother won't play otherwise. Turbo diddy is so good my god, bair>sideb>jump>instant nair> more combos 2 strong

Oh merry Christmas everyone, now I'm getting of my phone for once and spending time with family

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ Chesstiger2612 Chesstiger2612 I personally love that pivots stop momentum. I think it should say the way it is now because we have tons of movement options to fit the situations where Smash 4 pivots would be useful. I don't think PM should try to implement tech from other games just to entice them to play it. PM is a separate entity and should only make changes that the pmdt feels fit their design choices.
I don't think apex will stop PM at all. The onlything killing PM is people worrying about the games popularity instead of just playing it and having events. People like D1 not talking about PM at all once he got a taste of that Nintendo money troubles me, but worrying about that doesn't solve anything.
Yes I also love the way pivoting stops momentum, hence my suggestion that it should only be kept if you pivot on an exact frame.
The reason why I suggest tech from Smash 4 is not mainly making Smash 4 players play PM: I am simply of the opinion that it would be a devastatingly unlikely case that there isn't tech you could implement that can make the game better, and once you get used to it, it has its place in the game and enrichens it. I feel that way about RAR and a few other things left over from Brawl, they even make me think Melee misses something(!). I don't think that a change suggested by the PMDT which wasn't used in any other Smash game could find enough support to get in (many Smashers are a bit conservative in that aspect), so it would be the likeliest for new tech to get in if it's from an other Smash game.

Then again, I can also understand the point new tech can also take from the simpleness and the uniformity of rules, following the principle "As little rules as possible for as much metagame as possible."

About the PM worries, worrying doesn't make it better. I'm not that active in the scene outside of Smashboards, so my question would be if there is still a flowing stream of new players or if the new generation of Smashers are rather Melee-onlys or Smash4-onlys (to me it seems the new ones are going into Smash 4 now, rather. Or do they gather interest in PM over time?). As long as new players experience and accept PM as a part of the Smash scene and a game worth playing and get in contact with it there is no need to worry, but if the new players are "socialized" either with the "PM isn't even a game" or the "Just play Melee" attitude, there are reasons to worry.
Probably latter isn't the case, I'm fairly optimistic.

Almost. You can't move in 3 dimensions so it's more like the derivative partial to x, y, t. I don't understand why people don't remember that.
Didn't double check it, you are right :D

@ Hinichii.ez.™ Hinichii.ez.™
On a serious note, I don't know of a single post to contain all formula information, but some of it can be found in either Strong Bad's hitstun/knockback/etc. calculation excel sheet, Kadano's guide or links which can be found in the Everything guide.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I finally have time off all day today and tomorrow. Working on PAL the whole time.
Please forgive the delay for the PAL release. It's definitely a real thing that will be coming soon.
PAL release Dec 31 11:59 PM Hawaii time confirmed. <3

There were also rare times I had sleep paralysis and was fully self aware. Couldn't move at all, even moving my hands was an impossibility. All combined with the feeling of "something" going up and/or down my spine, despite me being face up when this happens. Only thing to do was breathe and wait until I go back to sleep.
I used to get sleep paralysis as a kid, coupled with a strong sensation of falling. **** was weird.

Vashimus

Smash Master
The pictures on Google where it shows someone watching you or holding you down is exactly what it feels like. **** that.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Had a dream I lost a car and got two, got repairs at a shady gas station, began driving in reverse and only killed one person. Prayed to god it was a dream, woke up, went back to sleep.
Then I dreamt I was Snake or some **** and I was infiltrating some base, was killing people instead of being stealthy because reasons. Then I realized someone there was from my own swim team, turns out everyone from my high school swim team was apart of Foxhound actually. Woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, and I really wanted part two.

...Merry Christmas.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
@SpiderMad Remember that setup you helped me get. Everything is kewl except for 2 things.
  1. What settings should I use on OBS? I get a red screen, and I'm assuming that it is b/c my resolution and other settings don't match up.
  2. I got the splits for the audio you suggested but they don't fit because the prongy things prevent the cable from fitting in. I might take a picture with my phone and add it.
    image.jpg

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
He knows when you main Fox or not so main Fox, for Melee's sake.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Well, almost Christmas here on the east coast. For those of you that celebrate it, hope you have a wonderful Christmas. For those who don't, have a wonderful nondenominational holiday greeting from here to you.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas to everyone applicable.

Tough luck for those who aren't.

Will now continue being anti-social and spend the first few hours of Christmas on this forum.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
youre all lucky y oure off for tonight, i gotta go to work from10-6 tonight, AND tomorrow night

on the bright side i get paid time and a half, so i can buy me video games when i get paid next friday

Top Bottom