• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Hey, I got Smash 4 on Monday. I like it in many aspects, and the only minor little detail I would criticize... is the gameplay altogether.
Prefer PM... Not surprised...

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
...So like, does this mean that Fax players are banking on how broken Fax is compared to everyone in 3.5, as in how M2/Lucas was in 3.02?

Cause I kinda find that funny

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
...So like, does this mean that Fax players are banking on how broken Fax is compared to everyone in 3.5, as in how M2/Lucas was in 3.02?

Cause I kinda find that funny
No, the only reason that Fox gets the most tourney wins is that Fox players are the best and put the most effort into improving at PM.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
just found out my younger brother is being bullied, i wish it was legal to slap the **** out of other kids and their parents for not raising them right

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
oh hey are we talking about fixing spacies
Plz not again it's like a weekly discussion I'm sick of it
just found out my younger brother is being bullied, i wish it was legal to slap the **** out of other kids and their parents for not raising them right
It's not illegal if you don't get caught

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Calling Falco dumb but not explaining why he is dumber than any other P:M character.
- - - - - - - -
If I split component cables I won't lose quality or have audio issues, right?

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Hey so a question about which characters are repped in which region just came up in the survey thread. Is there like a Google Map or something that shows where all of the players are? I know regional stuff exists on some facebook groups but I don't know if it's gotten to national/global scales yet.

If there was a map that could filter out players by character that would be pretty cool. Not sure how much data an online map can handle though...

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Well, it takes a lot of skill to use Fox right, honestly I think everyone should practice Fox, I don't think I would've become decent at this game without Fox practice

Continuing my first playthrough of Final Fantasy 10! www.twitch.tv/Hylian88
Dude, I did the same thing when FFXHD was released, first time I ever played it, went in not expecting to become a fan.... now I'm a fan, such a good game

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Calling Falco dumb but not explaining why he is dumber than any other P:M character.
- - - - - - - -
If I split component cables I won't lose quality or have audio issues, right?
falco is still dumb
but ill slap your falco regardless

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Am I the only person who sees broken and overpowered as two separate concepts? Shine is broken (in a way that is arguably OP, but that's not how I see it), Fox and Falco are not OP but are also broken in design. They combo to death or get comboed to death, so at high level play one player in a match with a spacie in it is almost unable to interact until after they are put into a disadvantageous position

Am I the only person who sees broken and overpowered as two separate concepts? Shine is broken (in a way that is arguably OP, but that's not how I see it), Fox and Falco are not OP but are also broken in design. They combo to death or get comboed to death, so at high level play one player in a match with a spacie in it is almost unable to interact until after they are put into a disadvantageous position
Uhhh... that's not broken design, that's a glass cannon. Pretty much every notable fighting game has at least one. It's an archetype, not a flawed design.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Uhhh... that's not broken design, that's a glass cannon. Pretty much every notable fighting game has at least one. It's an archetype, not a flawed design.
Many argue that this can be very poorly designed if one side outways the other. Seth from sf4 comes to mind.

Makoto on the other hand is a well designed glass cannon.

Last edited:
Many argue that this can be very poorly designed if one side outways the other. Seth from sf4 comes to mind.
People complain about these characters the most, that's definitely true.

Seth is sort of a bad example though, because he can literally die off of one touch and some chip damage. In Street Fighter IV, that's unheard of outside of Desk combo videos. His weaknesses keep him in check, as evidenced by the small number of top level Seth players.

Now Zero or Phoenix in Marvel 3 would be accurate examples of poorly designed glass cannons, albeit for different reasons.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
People complain about these characters the most, that's definitely true.

Seth is sort of a bad example though, because he can literally die off of one touch and some chip damage. In Street Fighter IV, that's unheard of outside of Desk combo videos. His weaknesses keep him in check, as evidenced by the small number of top level Seth players.

Now Zero or Phoenix in Marvel 3 would be accurate examples of poorly designed glass cannons, albeit for different reasons.
Seth is horridly designed due to the astounding amount of tools he has been given, low health isn't enough to make up for what he had. He's quite a bit more balanced in Ultra but many would argue he isn't very good anymore.

Phoenix was really bad design due to the engine with terrible balance and zero was just too strong with not enough weaknesses. (With arguably no weaknesses)

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
A lot of other characters in SF4 constantly stole Seth's thunder, tho'. So being a jack-of-all trades glass cannon really didn't help him all that much.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you guys think we should do a PM top 100 players thing like melee and brawl are doing?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
you guys think we should do a PM top 100 players thing like melee and brawl are doing?
I think PM standings are too volatile to manage a reliable PR. People are always finding new things and adapting to new matchups, so upsets happen all the time and can lead to overestimating some players, or underestimating others.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I would assume that the top 25 would be consistent enough to rank properly.

people don't care where they are on the list if they know they aren't a top level player, they would just care that they are on the list at all

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I would assume that the top 25 would be consistent enough to rank properly.

people don't care where they are on the list if they know they aren't a top level player, they would just care that they are on the list at all
I agree, and it'd be a nice list to have for a lot of us scrubs who want to research games by top players.

Can I be on the list
I placed 9th at a 32 person weekly
Yeah can I be on it too? I placed 4th at a 12ish person monthly that M2K was at.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Imo there's a consistent top 10 at the very least, anything below that becomes very debatable.

As someone who don't care about poke since a long while, Crystal da bess

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, a few of my friends and I are thinking of hosting friendlies and tournaments once we feel comfortable with friendlies. Can someone tell me how to get it spread around?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Hey guys, a few of my friends and I are thinking of hosting friendlies and tournaments once we feel comfortable with friendlies. Can someone tell me how to get it spread around?
Join the facebook group for your local scene and advertise it there. Alternatively, make flyers to hang around your school and local gaming shops and word will spread.

Top Bottom