• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Hey everyone... so I've never played Project M before, but I just learned about V3.0 and the fact that you don't need to hack your Wii to play it.

Does anyone have a guide for "installing" Project M? I just want to be completely ready for when 3.0 arrives, I'm very eager to play it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Denthorn: Short Hopping is easier in PM because the game waits a very long time to check/define if you are short hopping or full hopping. In Melee, the game checks like halfway or 2/3rds of the way during your jump squat. Brawl checked on the last frame iirc, or basically checked much later than Melee did, and this crossed over into PM. Fox in both games may share the same jump squat frame data, but you don't have to be nearly as swift and quick to leave the jump button to make sure the game does short hop. If you had to stop pressing Y/jump by frame 2 in Melee, it's probably frame 3-4 in PM. etc

Shifting every character's jump squat back a frame wouldn't work either. You might get roughly the same effect with people like Fox, but those on the medium and higher end will still have easier short hops by a frame or 2. As it is right now, it's kind of nice to not be so grueling tough on the very quick jumpers.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I quite like both of them, myself; they each have their own charms. If I could, I would use tracks from both versions, because there are certain tracks on each that I do not care for in the slightest.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Japanese and European versions share the same soundtrack. The only time the European release had the U.S. soundtrack was for Sonic Gems Collection.

Yeah that's right. I was mistaken. EU/JP is what I prefer lol.

My god you suck. You really, really just suck. Holy crap man. :applejack:
I'll be real with you. I don't really "dislike" US OST and there are some US tracks I do enjoy. But a good amount of them, are really forgettable. And as a result, I don't care to go back to them.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I was thinking lately I like how Melee and 64 had characters known to be like Dolls/trophies, with the concept of the video at the beginning/end with the toybox and Masterhand/Crazyhand (how'd they come up with that? You'd think they'd be beating up a Kid's hand). Brawl and the newer Smash 4 though for all I know didn't have any references to that and just put them straight into the game with no references besides they're all in this subspace world: kind of loses something there.

I just stayed up all night writing an essay. Guys, my writers block is real lol.
Help me write my 8 page Music essay: I chose how Aphex Twin changed electronic music.. I only know one song from him >_O
Denthorn: Short Hopping is easier in PM because the game waits a very long time to check/define if you are short hopping or full hopping. In Melee, the game checks like halfway or 2/3rds of the way during your jump squat. Brawl checked on the last frame iirc, or basically checked much later than Melee did, and this crossed over into PM. Fox in both games may share the same jump squat frame data, but you don't have to be nearly as swift and quick to leave the jump button to make sure the game does short hop. If you had to stop pressing Y/jump by frame 2 in Melee, it's probably frame 3-4 in PM. etc

Shifting every character's jump squat back a frame wouldn't work either. You might get roughly the same effect with people like Fox, but those on the medium and higher end will still have easier short hops by a frame or 2. As it is right now, it's kind of nice to not be so grueling tough on the very quick jumpers.
I was making a video on this mechanic in Melee vs P:M, jump cancelling, and IASA/Auto-cancels using Melee's debug menu. I think I'ma redo it though since it's way too long and I hate my explanation voice every time.

Brawl I think checks the last frame of jump squat for jump button release, and Melee I think checks a frame before the last frame: adding one frame of difficulty.

It'll either end up still being just a less effective version of Pikachu that no one sane would use seriously, or it'll be Pikachu's Brawl "Toon Link" in the sense that it's like Pikachu, only smaller, possibly faster and better as a character to the point of rendering Pikachu's existence in the game seemingly pointless. Either way, hardly anyone seems to be using Pikachu in P:M in tournaments, streams or in general. Adding Pichu could only either add damage to that or simply join it as another character hardly anyone will play as once the hype of it dies down.

This is why I was thinking that just giving whatever little good traits it has to Pikachu would be more than enough, akin to how Mario and Tink were handled. (+N64 Link for Tink) Although, after what Strong Bad said, I'm starting to think even that wouldn't do much help either. I don't have anything against Pichu at all, but even with all the changes in the world, there's just not much I can see that it really brings other than "Add it back because Melee".

We'd be better off with a completely new character or no more at all and we keep what we have.

Well, that's just what I think, anyway. I've had people ramble on to me again and again as to why they want Pichu or think it's so important, but I just can't see it. *shrugs* Not like it's on the same level as Roy and Mewtwo or anything.
Those are all good points, but I still see a little hope. There's barely any variety between the mouses, but with enough creativity in design change he could possibly evade the points of overshadowing or being overshadowed Pikachu just like how somehow the many clones in P:M manage not to; though it'd be a lot tougher. How much creativity to pull that off for Pichu compared to adding a different character with the clone engine that would easily be their own style of character right away seems like the biggest dilemma. Bringing back one of the worst and last remaining characters in the Melee roster to shine in P:M with the others is still something to say over the other choices.

Why not add plusle and minun double pichu?
In a cast of 42-46 characters, I don't see why having 8 pokemon characters instead of 7 from nintendo's biggest franchise is that big of a deal.

I'm gonna keep lobbying for those two until it happens or until all other slots are filled.
I was thinking about this, and I think unless they implement something they would probably get hand-offs as well right? They could probably make one of them not be able to grab 1 second or so after the first throws or something: unless the point is to have another hand-off character for when ICs players get bored. If they do add something like that I think you could have both the plusle and minum and the double pichu as a 50/50 with the alt. costumes.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Neko (or Espy, I suppose), I have a question. Outside of emulation, which platforms had the best ports for the older Sonic games?

Smooth Criminal
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but my best experiences with playing older Sonic games on other consoles has been Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and Sonic Classics Collection.

Really, if you have those first two, then you have almost every Sonic game that existed pre-Dreamcast. :applejack:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
and then out of it, and the cooldown for blizzard, with the start up time for the next one, is much longer than the hitstun you get from a single pummel. so, it's not wobbling, since that's all about keeping them in a constant state of hitstun (which means you can't break the grab ever, in melee rules). it's just extra damage and potentially positioning.
Oh that's what you meant. Yeah, you really shouldn't do it more than once because of the initial cooldown. But the first time you do it uses the mechanics of wobbling due to constant hitstun. Doing Blizzard wouldn't be possible if the constant hitstun mechanic wasn't there.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Neko (or Espy, I suppose), I have a question. Outside of emulation, which platforms had the best ports for the older Sonic games?

Smooth Criminal
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but my best experiences with playing older Sonic games on other consoles has been Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and Sonic Classics Collection.

Really, if you have those first two, then you have almost every Sonic game that existed pre-Dreamcast. :applejack:
Pretty much this. Just know that S. Classic Collection is on the DS.

HOWEVER. If you want to count mobile platforms...

Android/iPhone have THE absolute best Sonic 1 and Sonic CD ports in the franchise. Period. And Sonic 2 is coming soon as well.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I didn't have any issues with the PS2s sanic collection port. I didn't know much about ports/emulation back then though so maybe I'm just a pleb.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Will cosign to iPhone/Android ports. I thought Steam's Sonic CD was FAR superior to the Gem's Collection version, and from what I'm told, it's essentially the same experience on the iPhone/Android.

Quick warning about Sonic Classics Collection for the DS though: Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain Act 3 experience some HEAVY framerate issues.

:applejack:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I already own the Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube and the Sega Genesis Collection for PS3. The Sega Genesis collection is plagued with a number of issues; the Mega Collection for Gamecube, however, seems like it plays smoothly. I just wanted to see if there was anything better out there.

Smooth Criminal

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Gamecube's Mega Collection is fine for the most part, but Plus for the Xbox/PS2 have a few extra features. I don't remember the details, but regular Mega Collection should be fine for the most part.

I kinda wish Gem's Collection wasn't stupid in that it has Sonic 1-Knuckles in full on its disc, but it can never be accessed properly without an Action Replay. Makes me mad. :applejack:

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Denthorn: Short Hopping is easier in PM because the game waits a very long time to check/define if you are short hopping or full hopping. In Melee, the game checks like halfway or 2/3rds of the way during your jump squat. Brawl checked on the last frame iirc, or basically checked much later than Melee did, and this crossed over into PM. Fox in both games may share the same jump squat frame data, but you don't have to be nearly as swift and quick to leave the jump button to make sure the game does short hop. If you had to stop pressing Y/jump by frame 2 in Melee, it's probably frame 3-4 in PM. etc.
Brawl I think checks the last frame of jump squat for jump button release, and Melee I think checks a frame before the last frame: adding one frame of difficulty.
Interesting. I'm reasonably sure that, in melee, the game checks to see if you're still pressing jump on the first frame you're air born and applies a different vertical force to your character depending on whether you are or aren't. That would mean that brawl waits till the second frame you're air born? Which sounds extremely odd... I'm guessing this is another case of the 1 frame delay thing messing with stuff, and the two games are actually both checking once you're air born, but you just end up air born one frame later in brawl. Again, some input on this from someone who has more direct experience working with both engines would be fantastic.

Also, just to clarify since I kinda got this vibe from DMG's post, I'm not complaining about short hopping being easier lol. I'm perfectly fine with it being a little more lenient.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Just avoid Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA, even if it costs you your life.

*shudder*
No way, you should definitely play that. If for no other reason than to see how easy it is to completely ruin a classic that should have been a simple port.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Interesting. I'm reasonably sure that, in melee, the game checks to see if you're still pressing jump on the first frame you're air born and applies a different vertical force to your character depending on whether you are or aren't. That would mean that brawl waits till the second frame you're air born? Which sounds extremely odd... I'm guessing this is another case of the 1 frame delay thing messing with stuff, and the two games are actually both checking once you're air born, but you just end up air born one frame later in brawl. Again, some input on this from someone who has more direct experience working with both engines would be fantastic.

Also, just to clarify since I kinda got this vibe from DMG's post, I'm not complaining about short hopping being easier lol. I'm perfectly fine with it being a little more lenient.
That's definitely not how it works in Melee. Melee does that check in the middle of jump squat. Before you ever leave the ground, it determines whether you will be full hopping or short hopping (which sounds kind of stupid but makes sense I guess) Project M also does this, except near the very end, which is why it's more leniant. Short hopping with Fox in Melee wouldn't be that hard if you had his entire jump squat to determine whether you wanted a SH or not. You get like half of your jump squat (I think it's 2 frames to decide for Fox Sheik etc), so you better not leave that finger on Y for too long.

And yeah it's fine, wasn't aiming the last part at you. I really do hope it stays like this (without the frame delay one day). It's kind of nice not missing a SH because "whoops my finger was there for 1 frame longer when I haven't even left the ground yet"

I would, but the way my bank account is setup...
Everything's set up in my saving's account when it needs to be in the checking account, and I can't jus- I gotta wait for 7 days I can't switch/this isn't gonna work out

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Because of Samus' ice beam, and that there's consideration of adding more beam types, now I'm wondering if the PMBR would consider letting Ganondorf use his sword off his D-taunt, though it wouldn't take over ALL the moves, sparta kick should stay, but maybe change a few, I just feel like it's not gonna be fair that Samus taunts to change her beam, then Ganondorf pulls out his sword and puts it right away

Of course I realize all the thought that would have to be put into different moves for Ganondorf and the imbalance it could cause, but isn't the general consensus that Ganondorf isn't that good compared to the rest of the cast anyways?

This is what makes me wish I was part of the PMBR, I'd love to think up all the applications for this kind of stuff and test it out, and it's not like I'm a bad player anymore, I go even with Zoso and MattDotZeb, KevinM I do good against too but he beats me a little more often then the other 2, I play against them every week(not MDZ so much since he hasn't come to RI recently)

Guess it doesn't really matter though since PMBR isn't taking applications anymore

I really need to prove my skill on stream though, trying to go to Apex

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
OK wait, does Pit not have a hurtbox on his feet and lower legs? Link's u-tilt sliced right through that area and it doesn't hurt him, like I paused and checked from every angle, a good amount of the edge of the master sword goes right through Pit's lower legs and feet.....

I thought Link's hitboxes on his u-tilt were fixed now?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Because of Samus' ice beam, and that there's consideration of adding more beam types, now I'm wondering if the PMBR would consider letting Ganondorf use his sword off his D-taunt, though it wouldn't take over ALL the moves, sparta kick should stay, but maybe change a few, I just feel like it's not gonna be fair that Samus taunts to change her beam, then Ganondorf pulls out his sword and puts it right away

Of course I realize all the thought that would have to be put into different moves for Ganondorf and the imbalance it could cause, but isn't the general consensus that Ganondorf isn't that good compared to the rest of the cast anyways?

This is what makes me wish I was part of the PMBR, I'd love to think up all the applications for this kind of stuff and test it out, and it's not like I'm a bad player anymore, I go even with Zoso and MattDotZeb, KevinM I do good against too but he beats me a little more often then the other 2, I play against them every week(not MDZ so much since he hasn't come to RI recently)

Guess it doesn't really matter though since PMBR isn't taking applications anymore

I really need to prove my skill on stream though, trying to go to Apex
First things first then, try getting on the Top Players by Character thread.

Kati

Smash Lord

The sword fits the attidtude that Ganon seems to have while participating in smash. He COULD use magic and fly, He COULD use his sword, but he isn't here to win, rather, he's here to punch, choke and dribble everyone.

Pulling out the sword isn't exactly a new idea either. It is currently being done in the customized boards, it most likely been down on brawlvault, and was done years ago successfully for brawl+ Ganon. I say successfully because there were no bugs. The only attacks he gained were the ones he gets from holding an item, so f-smash, f-til, and jab. The brawl+ sword had low damage, but its speed and range made up for it.

Personally, I think the sword would be great, but I think it is far too early to be revamping a melee vet like that considering how few P:M Ganon mains there are developing Ganon's metagame. Unlike Samus' beams, the sword can easily overshadow fist based attacks by virtue of range and a disjointed hitbox alone. Without proper balancing, Ganon would quickly become unrecognizable.

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
Android/iPhone have THE absolute best Sonic 1 and Sonic CD ports in the franchise. Period. And Sonic 2 is coming soon as well.
Didn't the PSN re-release of Sonic CD add a playable Tails, and generally clean up any buggy stuff that was left in the game? And let you choose between the Japanese and Western soundtracks?

Because that one always sounded pretty good to me.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Didn't the PSN re-release of Sonic CD add a playable Tails, and generally clean up any buggy stuff that was left in the game? And let you choose between the Japanese and Western soundtracks?

Because that one always sounded pretty good to me.
Ah right. I forgot about that one. It is the same version as the mobile ones actually haha.

Good catch.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I actually forgot about that one as well.

Watched the speed run Neko. I laughed at the player making Tails nod his head when Knuckles motions them to the wall in Hidden Palace Zone.

I use to do that ALL the time as a kid. :applejack:

D

Deleted member

Dear PMBR Members,

Thank you for actively balancing the game with tactful moderation. Thank you for being selective with potential membership candidates for the sake of integrity preservation. Thank you for redeeming my purchase of Brawl. Thank you for ending the tyranny of 2.5 Sonic.

Sincerely,​
Max​

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"Tactful Moderation" SUPER BACON WILL CHANGE THAT

Top Bottom