• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Could someone please tell me how to pronounce "Hylian"? "Hylia" is generally pronounced "Hill-ee-ya", so I'd assume that Hylian is pronounced "Hill-ee-yan". I mean, "Hyrulean" is an official term, so I'd assume that Hylian is pronounced differently.

Fortress

Smash Master
'High-ly-an'.
'High-rule-y-an'.

At least, that's how I've always said it... but, 'Hill-rule-y-an' sounds nice. Though, 'Hyrule' is pronounced 'High-rule' (or, 'High-ROOL!' *thunder* if you're an old man on a train), so, I tend to use the 'high' sound and not the 'hill' sound.

red9rd

Smash Ace
Have any of you played Hyrule Total War ?
I was told it was awesome for years, but when I finally played it I felt it was still unplayable.
I could have done a bad install though

9Kplus1

Smash Master
So I'd be saying something close to "Highlands", no? That doesn't make sense, as Hyrule is located on the Earth's surface. As such, "Hill" seems like the more sensible way of pronouncing it, right? I mean, hills are a part of the grounded landscape, so logically, a land located on the ground would make more sense if pronounced using "hill".

Vashimus

Smash Master
I pronounce it like Fortress does, but when referring to Hylian the Admin, I occasionally say "High-lay-an" or "High-lane" ever since DMG called him HYLAIN on a stream and I found it hilarious.

Fortress

Smash Master
So I'd be saying something close to "Highlands", no? That doesn't make sense, as Hyrule is located on the Earth's surface. As such, "Hill" seems like the more sensible way of pronouncing it, right? I mean, hills are a part of the grounded landscape, so logically, a land located on the ground would make more sense if pronounced using "hill".
Or, you know, 'Highlands' as in literally mighty in height; you might say, close to the heavens... 'heavenly'. As if blessed by a god. Or a goddess. Or maybe three.

OPEN YOUR THIRD EYE... OF TRUTH.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I've always pronounced Hylian as "Hill-ee-yan". Even though I pronounce Hyrule completely different, but I think that's how it's meant to be.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's pronounced "High-Lee-An" or "High-Lee-In".

There is no e in Hylian to make it sound like "hill-e-an". Hyrulean wasn't actually an official term until the later zelda games, it had always just been Hylian before that as well.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Ohai there hilean, how are ya

ROB has no feelings (except when in SSE) so he doesnt actually care

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Kat + Ana would be able to be the IC clone, if they want to do that. I would actually love to see that implemented.
who the hell are they
are they even in brawl as a sticker or trophy or anything

ROB has no feelings (except when in SSE) so he doesnt actually care
yes he does
they're just programmed in; yours are the same, only nature did the programming

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
So asking again...

Wasn't the grab+blizzard combo a type of wobbling? If wobbling was taken out, how exactly does this mechanic work now?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
US/EU or JP remixes?

Or both?

I really dont like US/EU lmao.
both, their doing the past present and future versions of the songs of all the stages (and for stages that have very similar past present and future stages, they are remixing all three together). they also have a sax solo version of Sonic Boom and a nice mellow Toot Toot Sonic warrior/ you can do anything. I`ll probably edit this later to fix all the errors like lack of ,`s but it`s like 6 in the morning here and I`m to tired and lazy.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Blizzard's only used once, and everyone's capable of holding characters. Why's it gotta be a new mechanic, couldn't it just be racking damage?
If this is really the case, then it's generally a useless option at lower percents. Just mash out, SDI, and you're in perfect position to cream the ICs. I could be wrong, but you might even be able to mash out of that at 50% if no wobbling related mechanic is implemented.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It's pronounced "High-Lee-An" or "High-Lee-In".

There is no e in Hylian to make it sound like "hill-e-an". Hyrulean wasn't actually an official term until the later zelda games, it had always just been Hylian before that as well.
There is no "e" in Tidus to make it sound like "Tee-dus", but we all know that's the case. :p

CORY

wut
BRoomer
So asking again...

Wasn't the grab+blizzard combo a type of wobbling? If wobbling was taken out, how exactly does this mechanic work now?
wobbling requires hitting the opponent so that they can't break the grab (due to being in constant hitstun). grab-pummel+blizzard wouldn't work that way, i'm pretty sure, since there's too much lag between blizzards.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
wobbling requires hitting the opponent so that they can't break the grab (due to being in constant hitstun). grab-pummel+blizzard wouldn't work that way, i'm pretty sure, since there's too much lag between blizzards.
Well yeah, blizzards were never really necessary in wobbling and only made it harder. But grab pummel+blizzard worked because the blizzard also hits the opponent, sort of making it a pseudo wobble. When wobbling is banned, ICs like Chu Dat used this a lot.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
and it's not like wobbling, because wobbling is keeping the opponent in constant hitstun. if grab-pummel-blizzard is like wobbling, then grab-pummel-smash is like wobbling. they both add extra damage from a grab.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
but both the momentum from the jump and the airdodge are delayed by one frame, meaning you begin the movement airdodge at the same height, but it happens one frame later.
Kinda late replying to this buuuuut... This assumes that when you jump, you're actually considered to be air born for a frame before you start moving, which I don't believe is true. As I've always understood it, you're considered to be grounded for one more frame before the jump brings you into the air (same reason its easier to short hop in project m than melee) and you can air dodge. This means that, as I said earlier, you are actually higher up when the air dodge starts moving you back to the ground.

Actually this raises an interesting point that I hadn't really put much thought into before. In order for jump timings to match melee, all characters should have 1 frame shorter jumpsquat animations in order to accomodate the extra frame delay in movement. This should result in the character leaving the ground on the same frame as in melee (though this doesn't solve the whole air dodge problem). But... That would also mean you have one LESS frame to input the short hop, yet its quite clearly easier to short hop in project m, implying a longer input window. Any devs have some input on this?

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
I really dont like US/EU lmao.
I quite like both of them, myself; they each have their own charms. If I could, I would use tracks from both versions, because there are certain tracks on each that I do not care for in the slightest.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Japanese and European versions share the same soundtrack. The only time the European release had the U.S. soundtrack was for Sonic Gems Collection.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Kinda late replying to this buuuuut... This assumes that when you jump, you're actually considered to be air born for a frame before you start moving, which I don't believe is true. As I've always understood it, you're considered to be grounded for one more frame before the jump brings you into the air (same reason its easier to short hop in project m than melee) and you can air dodge. This means that, as I said earlier, you are actually higher up when the air dodge starts moving you back to the ground.

Actually this raises an interesting point that I hadn't really put much thought into before. In order for jump timings to match melee, all characters should have 1 frame shorter jumpsquat animations in order to accomodate the extra frame delay in movement. This should result in the character leaving the ground on the same frame as in melee (though this doesn't solve the whole air dodge problem). But... That would also mean you have one LESS frame to input the short hop, yet its quite clearly easier to short hop in project m, implying a longer input window. Any devs have some input on this?
A thread covered this topic before, you can see it here.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
and it's not like wobbling, because wobbling is keeping the opponent in constant hitstun. if grab-pummel-blizzard is like wobbling, then grab-pummel-smash is like wobbling. they both add extra damage from a grab.
Hence why I called it pseudo wobbling. Blizzard also keeps the opponent in constant hitstun too.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
A thread covered this topic before, you can see it here.
This doesn't answer my question. I'm not claiming that the fix to the one frame delay issue is to simply reduce jump startup, I'm saying that its impact on jump timing can be mitigated by doing so and I'd assumed that this had already been done. If that is the case, then it seems odd to me that short hopping would become easier rather than harder. I suppose more specifically what I'm asking is, has this been done to affect jump timings and, either way, when you jump are you considered to be airborn for 1 frame before you even start moving?

Also, just to chime in on the whole wobbling thing, wobbling is an infinite that works by preventing your opponent from ever being in a state where they can leave the grab. Blizzard might inflict hitstun but it most certainly wouldn't allow someone to lock someone down infinitely.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Hence why I called it pseudo wobbling. Blizzard also keeps the opponent in constant hitstun too.
and then out of it, and the cooldown for blizzard, with the start up time for the next one, is much longer than the hitstun you get from a single pummel. so, it's not wobbling, since that's all about keeping them in a constant state of hitstun (which means you can't break the grab ever, in melee rules). it's just extra damage and potentially positioning.

Top Bottom