• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
tbh the specific character bans they made is making me wonder how much M2K leveled the early brawl meta

like obviously there's meta knight, but I recall him rolling through tourneys in the early stages using basically DDD's chaingrab, and he went from A-tier to something like C-tier since them

I'll admit I'm not too knowledgeable about brawl's metagame but I do know that M2K kind of pushed MK's more broken stuff from the getgo

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
I'm just too excited to think about anything but turbo mode

And that cryptic message from last week...

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
really need to watch that movie @ some point.
After you do that, I highly recommended playing the flash tribute point-and-click game by the upper guys at Newgrounds (which is about as long as the actual movie, has really funny parts, lots of easter eggs, fills in some of the plot holes, and has a 100% collection ending that makes a lot more sense). Then if you're hardcore enough read the book. The story of how the movie was made is just as bizarre.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
M2K played D3. Did pretty good, but saw people like Forte having more fun and doing better with MK. Tried out MK and made the switch over. During this time, the lamest person with MK was Teh Spammer actually. Not too long into Brawl after this point, you had Plank at a tournament grabbing the edge over and over on Battlefield vs SK92 I think. Planking was born. M2K adopts this later on to a much more significant degree (Spammer as well basically added some planking to his overall patient gameplay).

Actually come to think of it, M2K himself wasn't the originator of many lame Brawl MK tactics. He usually was the most visible MK doing them, and sometimes took them way further than they were before. Tornado spamming certain MU's may or may not have been M2K at the beginning, Planking wasn't M2K, IDC wasn't M2K, the Uair into Nado IIRC wasn't M2K but he "abused" it the most in teams. The Snake C4 free kills, aka "Omnigay", wasn't made by him either. Scrooging sort of was mainly M2K but the idea wasn't actually that new at the time (basically seen as an extention of planking).

The few things I can think of that he truly originated without debate, were some of the early MK combos and tilt tricks with Dtilt. I dunno how many people remember, but very early into Brawl M2K figured out a sorta generic combo that would work on 90% of the cast. Come in with a glide real low, hit the glide attack, then go into Nair, and then Ftilt or try for a Dtilt trip. It was an easy 30-40+% on anyone in the cast and he had it down really well. He was also one of the few people to know intimate details like the invincibility on grounded shuttle loop, and he spread a lot of that knowledge to other MK's at the time who didn't know. In fact, you could argue he single handedly helped out the MK scene the most for the things he knew and shared with other top MK players.

RANDOM BRAWL HISTORY TIME OVER

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

7.) No chain-grabbing or infinites/pseudo-infinites of any kind. Grab them once and move on.

14.) No character switching. You use one and only one character. When you become a member, you must choose which character you will always use in every match. If you want to change this character later on, you must ask permission and a vote will be held (super majority wins).
They probably had one really good player join one day and got mad salty so instead of figuring out how to beat his characters they made new rules on what not to do and limited him to one character

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
Is the turbo video coming out in the next 45 minutes because I have an exam in 45 minutes and I think the thing that would help me most on the exam is to watch the new turbo video

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Also my roommate's leaving for a concert in 35 minutes and wants to watch the video before it goes
quick everyone talk about your friends that want the turbo vid, maybe they'll release it sooner

woah what ninja'd by the actual video

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That wallpaper is crap. Roy should be the only character on it, in Fox's spot, taking up the entire thing.

br8k

Coolkid
Okay so costumes I saw in the video: Shadow Queen (Peach), OoT3D Link, Dry Bowser, Party Hat Pikachu, Mr L (Luigi), Melee Fox?, and mystery Black and Red ROB (the model looks a little different around the eyes).

What is Black and Red ROB's deal

splat

Smash Lord
Okay so costumes I saw in the video: Shadow Queen (Peach), OoT3D Link, Dry Bowser, Party Hat Pikachu, Mr L (Luigi), Melee Fox?, and mystery Black and Red ROB (the model looks a little different around the eyes).

What is Black and Red ROB's deal
Virtua Boy ROB, I think - which would be genius.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's Virtual Boy ROB. I hope he gets something like a unique flame effect or unique laser gfx or something cool for him in addition to the recoloring and slightly different model.

br8k

Coolkid
Oooh, whoa, yeah. I forgot the Virtual Boy was a thing.

They should make it so if you zoom in closely on VB Rob's eyes you can see some other game inside his head. Yes. That would not be dumb at all.

(that would be kind of dumb)

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
- Oh, I see Dedede featured at the beginning of the video!
- He shows up 3 times to get his ****ing ass kicked
- I see how it is

Watching you, PMBR...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You have a good taste in pictures LD50. You have my approval

Trinsic

Smash Apprentice
- Oh, I see Dedede featured at the beginning of the video!
- He shows up 3 times to get his ****ing *** kicked
- I see how it is

Watching you, PMBR...
There's only one thing that can make up for this.

Dedede Turbo Wednesday. Make it happen PMBR.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
****ing.

Beautiful.

I can't stop looking at these man. The transition into Brawl's style feels perfect.

Also thank you for making the shield blue like it's supposed to be. I have no idea why it was that pinkish-purple in Melee.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
M2K played D3. Did pretty good, but saw people like Forte having more fun and doing better with MK. Tried out MK and made the switch over. During this time, the lamest person with MK was Teh Spammer actually. Not too long into Brawl after this point, you had Plank at a tournament grabbing the edge over and over on Battlefield vs SK92 I think. Planking was born. M2K adopts this later on to a much more significant degree (Spammer as well basically added some planking to his overall patient gameplay).

Actually come to think of it, M2K himself wasn't the originator of many lame Brawl MK tactics. He usually was the most visible MK doing them, and sometimes took them way further than they were before. Tornado spamming certain MU's may or may not have been M2K at the beginning, Planking wasn't M2K, IDC wasn't M2K, the Uair into Nado IIRC wasn't M2K but he "abused" it the most in teams. The Snake C4 free kills, aka "Omnigay", wasn't made by him either. Scrooging sort of was mainly M2K but the idea wasn't actually that new at the time (basically seen as an extention of planking).

The few things I can think of that he truly originated without debate, were some of the early MK combos and tilt tricks with Dtilt. I dunno how many people remember, but very early into Brawl M2K figured out a sorta generic combo that would work on 90% of the cast. Come in with a glide real low, hit the glide attack, then go into Nair, and then Ftilt or try for a Dtilt trip. It was an easy 30-40+% on anyone in the cast and he had it down really well. He was also one of the few people to know intimate details like the invincibility on grounded shuttle loop, and he spread a lot of that knowledge to other MK's at the time who didn't know. In fact, you could argue he single handedly helped out the MK scene the most for the things he knew and shared with other top MK players.

RANDOM BRAWL HISTORY TIME OVER
DMG if they close this thread again we need to make another unsocial thread :troll:

Top Bottom