• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
GRAB HIM

That's my answer for like everything but I play Marth. Results may vary with jank like Lucas
He usually spot dodges or rolls and can punish me since I stay in my grab for so long; I don't even throw them out willy nilly.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'll have you know I make many of my image responses in paint. Painting is art! How could that possibly be called lazy?

Also, I suppose that's how would transcribe Pillsbury into the Japanese phonetic system, which is one of the simplest, having only 5 vowel sounds.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He usually spot dodges or rolls and can punish me since I stay in my grab for so long; I don't even through them out willy nilly.
Ya that's the problem I have with Lucas. I don't like his grab, so that character might as well not exist for me.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Man, I just got back from a Smashfest and I can't believe my performance. On Sunday, I had two people come over for about 5 hours and I was patient, calculative, making smart decisions, and landing sweet combos/punshies. Today, I attended a Smashfest with the same people and my regular playgroup for 7 hours but I did so poorly for some reason; I was the exact opposite from Sunday beside the last part, but even then the combos/punishes were either sloppy or barely non-existent.

The one guy in my playgroup switched back to his old main Lucario, and he crouch cancels every opportunity he gets. As Lucas, I try to magnet, grab, and freeze him but I kept dropping my magnet follow ups and he read my grabs, usually leading me to getting comboed or getting hit by a Smash attack. He Down-Bs back and forth while hitting me between each one and I feel like there's nothing I can do about it. I was practicing some basic shield pressure/punishment the night before but never once employed it.

I was actually getting legit salty at everything listed in the above paragraph, and I never get legit salty, but I was able to translate it into laughing and humor which is a good; I hate it when I have a sour attitude and this was the closest I've come so far. I was doing the salty runback after I lost just a stock lol.

You know how after you take a mentally demanding state test, your brain feels really boggled and stressed? That's what I started feeling towards the end of the night and continue to feel right now. It sucks, I need to find out how to beat my friend's crouch-cancel heavy, dodge-filled style.
You should invest in a dazzle or some other video recording device, thats the fastest way to see what you're doing wrong. Get a Note book and write down everything running through your head in-between sets, what went wrong, were you got hit, how you got hits in, etc. You'll definitely have time if you have a larger group, just write down everything you're thinking so you can reflect later with more clarity on the mindset you were in. If you're playing your friendlies in a way that you're actively trying to understand why you do certain actions, its impossible to auto pilot.
slight rant
Not everyone improves and learns the same way so if you're current methods aren't working then try to find another way. The important part imo is that you're trying to be flexible and adapt both your play-style and mental state. My favorite thing to do to improve is watch videos of me getting bopped, and look at the moment the opponent started a conversion. I look at the steps leading up to the point where it happened and play it back multiple times, trying to understand what happened. Did I have a technical flub? Do something unsafe? Miss a power-shielded laser? shielded preemptively and got grabbed? Did I give up positional advantage earlier which contributed to me getting opened up? I make notes of where I ****ed up and put a sticky note on the side of my set-up TV with a few trigger words to remind me of it, so the next time I practice long sets I have one or two words that remind me of the concept I was working on, and that then reminds me of other details and so forth. I forgot the name of the concept behind stuff like that, information webs that work like that. But for example, the notes I had up the longest were "WD in place" and "OoS." These meant more specificially to WD in place during pressured play after I closed a gap, to better react to techs/moves/rolls/jumps/whatever when i had the advantage. (I did It because I had a bad habit of WDing back then dashing back in during follow ups and I often missed the grab or just got side-steped on wake up) Just a few words reminded me to be more aware of my options in the time of the game where I had advantage and when I was being pressured (OoS options.)

Videos, Notes, and an intentional focus on awareness on where you messed up goes a long way towards improvement. Getting other people to critique is great too, its hard to see every option at once and other people often look at a situation differently based on their habits.

Idk,the difficult parts of improving in smash imo is all about being aware of yourself and your actions and the options you chose. Punish games can be practiced and build over time even if you auto pilot, but having patience and awareness and control in neutral is something you have to wake up to. It makes me sorta wish i started of smash taking brawl seriously instead of melee, In brawl you can't get away with DD>autopilot for as long as in melee, and actually have to weigh options and consider things in neutral.

also this http://smashboards.com/threads/drastic-improvement-under-construction-for-apex.311129/

Also Also if someone is spot dodging your grab as lucas, just Dash grab as it eats most spotdodges for breakfast (the fastest spot-dodge "tier" has less invisibility than the grab has active frames, as his dash grab as 2 separate windows where it grabs)

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
All my mains have jank ass grabs. Tink and Lucas got tethers, and Squirtle's got so much range on his dash grab, it's crazy.

Jank is the only way to go, y'all.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I think my worst problem was getting stage control or having the superior neutral game/position. I found myself near the edge a lot when I didn't want to be.

Also my spacing was god awful tonight.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I swear if I hear one more person, casual or competitive, say that Fox and Falco are clone characters I will deal with them personally.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
This anime is about swimming
This anime is about swimming

I'll probably watch it eventually
Free just screams fan service lmao.

I swear if I hear one more person, casual or competitive, say that Fox and Falco are clone characters I will deal with them personally.
Fox and Falco are clone characters.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
If I whisper, "They are clones. They are clones. They are clones." into a mirror, will you appear? Please bring chips if yes.

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
I need to find out how to beat my friend's crouch-cancel heavy, dodge-filled style.
I have a friend who crouch cancels all day and i just cross him up with stuff. the problem is you have to be careful and do it in such a way where you land outside of the range of his down smash without turning him around when you hit him. lucas could probably do that with his nair or somthin but it takes a while to figure out the spacing (or at least it did for me)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I could have sworn that @ Hylian Hylian played ICs during the first Hylicast.
Yes, I play IC's and am probably the best IC player just by the fact that almost no good players play them lol. I use them very rarely in tournament.

I wish IC's neutral-b was something you could temporarily, like a charged smash, hold so that when you desynch you had more freedom when moving around and thus had more offensive and edge-guard options.

Hylian is probably going to yell at me for saying this.
Ic's neutral b can already do that.

lrn2desynch

Edit: I'm actually planning on doing a stream soon dedicated to teaching people how IC's work in PM.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yes, I play IC's and am probably the best IC player just by the fact that almost no good players play them lol. I use them very rarely in tournament.

Ic's neutral b can already do that.

lrn2desynch

Edit: I'm actually planning on doing a stream soon dedicated to teaching people how IC's work in PM.
No I mean like-*sigh* never mind.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Opened 3-day-old, un-refrigerated orange juice? **** it, the vodka will kill the bacteria

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Anime is a bunch of cartoons, most of which shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Weebo proof shield on.
That's pretty true though. Anime is a bunch of cartoons and most of it shouldn't be taken seriously. You can stylize things and make excuses for it being for adults, but a cartoon is a cartoon regardless of who it's made for or the genre it's in. There's no shame in that. I loves me some cartoons, in fact, they're the majority of the shows I watch.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Chudat used ic's :-)

Free eternal summer confirmed worse than it could ever be because the ending is not good

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No I mean like-*sigh* never mind.
I know what you mean. You can do that >_>. I mean you can just pivot desynch a charged smash and then move around with popo lol.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Can somebody please show me another bird that speaks the human language? those make me forget how miserably lonely and horny I am, if for a moment.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
waoh there's a new saillor moon anime??

ew dude they made the new character designs even skinnier and less anatomically correct. That's a bummer the sailor scouts were hot.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Who's going to play with me on bed until I smell like salty coins and milk. That and I have no taste when it comes to watching anime, so I watch whatever I feel like to.

Top Bottom