• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

mang0 losing via SD @ shine2016 was more disappointing than the new sum 41 and jimmy eat world tracks

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
All this anime talk is working me into a shoot.

I know nothing about Korea really, but the more I've learned the more ****ed up the place seems.
So I'm taking the written exam so I can get my driver's license in Korea, so I got an english-translated study guide with 160 pages and 700 questions.

This study guide is ****ing absurd lol

According to Korea's traffic safety laws, it's perfectly fine not to slow down when blind men and children are crossing the road.
Is S. Korea a good place to study abroad at?
Is it full of jabronerds?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
If I believe dramas, s.korea is full of rich assholes and there's no traffic

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
All this anime talk is working me into a shoot.

Is S. Korea a good place to study abroad at?
Is it full of jabronerds?
As long as you're older than 19 and know where to find cheap restaurants, u good

If I believe dramas, s.korea is full of rich ******** and there's no traffic
I wish both of these were true.

Log Horizon was good slightly longer than SAO
Anybody who thinks any anime based on a video game reality world is good should be shot and killed.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
As long as you're older than 19 and know where to find cheap restaurants, u good
But you didn't answer the most important question: is it full of jabronerds?

I don't wanna go to school with a bunch of jobbers and lower card talent.

Also I'm 8.

Bleck

Smash Master
You said it's easier to conform opinions to group's opinions in order to fit. If I'm saying next SAO/SAO in general isn't /that/ bad quality wise but common opinion is it's bad does that make you guys the people changing your opinion to fit with the group? When does your opinion being yours begin and end? If my opinion happens to correspond with the "popular group's" then will I be called a sheeple? Kind of relevant to the playing top tiers in Smash argument.
your opinion being yours begins when you realize that opinions being subjective does not mean that they are not and/or do not have to be based on reasonably objective observations - quality is a thing that exists

if you think, for example, that SAO or whatever is good, then your opinion needs to be based on reasonable assertions to have any merit - statements about the quality of the animation, the writing, the music, etc.

just saying "it's good" or "I liked it" is a waste of people's time - have opinions based on knowledge, or none at all

edit: not trying to say anything bad about your opinion in particular, since I don't know what it is - just in general

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
pls

Quality doesn't exist. We might have a instinctive aesthetic, but we shouldn't consider it "better".
That said, using conventions as standards we can measure a work with pseudo-objectivity. Awareness of convention normally denotes what society calls quality, as their tastes were incubated by and then influenced current convention.

/plsposting

SAO is preeeety bad. I wouldn't recommend investing in anything seriously just for interspersed good ideas point, something else probably did it in a hollistically more enjoyable work..

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Bruh you're on a forum about competitive Smash Bros. What qualifies as a Jabronerd
I'm here volunteering my time trying to save you jobbers from anime and waifus, you ungrateful ****ing nerd.

Now I have to prepare my material on jabronerds but for right now, being a jabroni + nerd qualities (having a waifu, watching anime) = jabronerd status.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Good afternoon thread
This is great, thank you.

Can we be real for a second tho? Anime is actually bad. It's made quickly and cheaply. I really am afraid of watching more than just the clearly quality stuff.
inb4 quoting me "quality doesn't exist"

Player -0

Smash Hero
Alicization has actual think-y stuff and feels like a fleshed world as well as conflict/urgency stuff happens.

That's why I'm hype for that season of Alicization. Looking through google pics of alicization arc reminds me of the story too

part is lit. rip swords but dank sitting. We have Fire Emblem durability, in anime. WAHAHAHAHAH

Also Eugeo sounds like it can be pronounced Yu Gi Oh. Who doesn't like friggen Yu Gi Oh as the 2nd main protagonist.

like seriously other people need to read this so they can say, "wah it wasn't good" but can talk to me about it anyway.

edit: there's an awkward senpai part but at least that part is rather short. I guess Kirito still gets protagonist powers during this arc but he gets the power of consequence and see what other characters are doing so hypee. I'm beng intentionally confusing (kinda) so as to not give the power of super spoilers.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I heard writing Korean is easy, so is it easy to speak?
It's logical to write. I suppose that makes it easier to learn. Speaking it is a lot harder since the Korean alphabet has phonetics and sounds that Latin and Romance-based languages don't have.

I'm here volunteering my time trying to save you jobbers from anime and waifus, you ungrateful ****ing nerd.

Now I have to prepare my material on jabronerds but for right now, being a jabroni + nerd qualities (having a waifu, watching anime) = jabronerd status.
They watch Korean dramas instead of anime and have pop idols as their waifus. It sounds fine in theory, but it's honestly just as bad if not worse.

Also everyone and their mothers goes to PC cafes to play Overwatch and League

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Korean pronunciation is pretty much analog to french, even moreso to quebec french.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
IThey watch Korean dramas instead of anime and have pop idols as their waifus. It sounds fine in theory, but it's honestly just as bad if not worse.

Also everyone and their mothers goes to PC cafes to play Overwatch and League
We Mexicans have our novelas so I don't mind. And hell, recently some Mexican singer died yesterday and I got nothing but RIP statuses on FB about him.

I feel like the Mexican counterpart to that is KOF. Mexicans do love KoF 99/02.

I've narrowed down my study aboard to Berlin Germany, Stockholm Sweden, Hong Kong, and Seoul SK.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Can we be real for a second tho? Anime is actually bad. It's made quickly and cheaply.
It's hard for me to take that seriously when Miyazaki exists. He is universally regarded as one of the greatest animators of all time, and for good reason.

And when Satoshi Kon's work exists

Maybe most anime is made cheaply and quickly, but it is a style and is not inherently good or bad quality, and is not inherently made quickly and cheaply. And most of just about anything is made cheaply and quickly. Cheap and quick tends to be more effective on the money side of things if you do it right, and that's usually what matters.

If we're being "real for a second" we cannot dismiss an entire genre or style as "bad" by virtue of a tendency of popular culture to reward quick and cheap work that is "good enough" in volume rather than work that is detailed and nuanced but must be released slowly. It's also important to remember that quick and cheap is also not inherently bad.

While Miyazaki may be an exception, blanket statements don't really leave room for those exceptions, and tend to be wrong because of it.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
"Most" anime is made cheaply and quickly because their creators don't have too much money to carelessly use on their creations/the economy is, as usual, crap. This sentiment gets brought up a few times in Shirobako, I believe.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
most anime is made terribly

but miyazaki, kon, anno, oshii, and yoshuira are all superlatively great not just as animators but as filmmakers in general

miyazaki's manga work is even better than his filmmaking tbh

anime is like any medium, where there are commercial works meant to do little other than provide shallow enjoyment and move products and where there is also a collection of masterpieces

edit: watch evangelion! watch paprika! watch millennium actress! watch perfect blue! watch ghost in the shell! watch patlabor! watch anything made by studio ghibli (except legend of earthsea, it's mediocre)! watch eve no jikan! read nausicaa of the valley of the wind!

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
It's hard for me to take that seriously when Miyazaki exists. He is universally regarded as one of the greatest animators of all time, and for good reason.

And when Satoshi Kon's work exists

Maybe most anime is made cheaply and quickly, but it is a style and is not inherently good or bad quality, and is not inherently made quickly and cheaply. And most of just about anything is made cheaply and quickly. Cheap and quick tends to be more effective on the money side of things if you do it right, and that's usually what matters.

If we're being "real for a second" we cannot dismiss an entire genre or style as "bad" by virtue of a tendency of popular culture to reward quick and cheap work that is "good enough" in volume rather than work that is detailed and nuanced but must be released slowly. It's also important to remember than quick and cheap is also not inherently bad.

While Miyazaki may be an exception, blanket statements don't really leave room for those exceptions, and tend to be wrong because of it.
My statement allowed these exceptions. Quick and cheap is fine, especially if the work itself is easy to consume. In light of the former, I still stand by my statement. Watching umpteen episodes of shonen battle series and moe blobers is bad. While easy to watch predominately anime due to it's availability and exotic feeling, you're hugely stunting your tastes.
There is less western animation, and I think it's mostly better than japanimation.
Even looking at their production you see this. Akira is one of the few anime where lips were drawn after recording, a common practice in the west.
Besides, Miyazaki hates otaku for similar reasons; I appeal to authority and send you to the shadowrealm. I'm already subbed to every frame a painting.

Top Bottom