• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
everyone hates zelda except the zelda players. who all unanimously think she's fine. i believe most people would refer to this situation as a mild form of communal dissociation.
Hey, she was actually sort of fun to use in version 1.0 and in Melee SDR. Something happened when it was decided her fireballs needed to be less interactive yet also less flexible.

I don't even know which seven or so pmbr members are in charge of her.

D

Deleted member

I can't pick a major

don't go to school until you know what you want to do. travel and do everything that you've ever wanted to do instead. it's better than wasting $30k on something that you're not really sure that you want to do and you're guaranteed to have done all of your current goals before moving to the next stage in your life. if you really want to go back to college, you'll eventually go anyway. other people around you might not be so understanding, but it's your life and not theirs.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I personally tend to stick to minor's myself, but perhaps spice it up? Y'know, some 7th chords? Perhaps start with BbM7? (EDIT: obviously I'm joking for the sake of being different)

MLGF

Smash Lord
You can never go wrong with a degree in business. At least thats what my dad tells me
Funny you say that actually. I remember my senior year of high school and one particular student teacher who did nothing but talk with my class of 7 people about college. She made sure to talk about how much of a joke being a business major is at her school... and she went to one of the best business schools in the country. My brother also went through the major, ironically at the same school as the student teacher, and he can certainly vouch for its easiness... albeit defensively.
It's a safe option, but by god is it unrewarding if you want something out of college.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
gonna double down on that "don't go to college" advice, especially if you live in america

the bills are gonna eat your poor soul alive, and unless you're going into a six-figures career out of it you're probably not getting much good from it

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Just one advice, dont let others choose for you, ESPECIALLY your parents

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
College eats your soul and tears you up financially. Unless you know what you want, don't go.
I made the mistake of starting, now I'm one year into this damn hell and conflicted about what major I want.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
everyone hates zelda except the zelda players. who all unanimously think she's fine. i believe most people would refer to this situation as a mild form of communal dissociation.

I'm not calling for a nerf or anything. I'm sure I'll eventually learn the matchup and how to deal with her. It's just really cool and exciting to be playing new and buffed characters.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Got accepted into a pretty decent school and I'm going for that econ/chem double major
I mean I don't know exactly what I want to do, but I want to do something in either of those fields, which creates the problem of wanting to do more stuff than I may have time for

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Just do what I'm doing:

Go to a school that's too expensive for a year and half, drop out, and get a job/donate plasma so you don't have to move back in with your mom.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Can you imagine if this guy just meant he couldn't pick a character?
What's the difference?
don't go to tournaments until you know who you want main. travel and do everything that you've ever wanted to do instead. it's better than wasting time and money on a character that you're not really sure that you want to use and you're guaranteed to have done all of your current goals before moving to the next stage in your life. if you really want to go back to tournaments, you'll eventually go anyway. other people around you might not be so understanding, but it's your life and not theirs.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
What's the difference?

don't go to tournaments until you know who you want main. travel and do everything that you've ever wanted to do instead. it's better than wasting time and money on a character that you're not really sure that you want to use and you're guaranteed to have done all of your current goals before moving to the next stage in your life. if you really want to go back to tournaments, you'll eventually go anyway. other people around you might not be so understanding, but it's your life and not theirs.
But that's terrible advice if you put it this way.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You can never go wrong with a degree in business. At least thats what my dad tells me
As someone who recently graduated from college, I would personally say that there's a lot of job security in computer science - I know at least two people, both comp sci majors, who are making more than six figures as fresh undergraduates. As another example, my brother landed a summer internship that pays more than my full-time job.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Funny you say that actually. I remember my senior year of high school and one particular student teacher who did nothing but talk with my class of 7 people about college. She made sure to talk about how much of a joke being a business major is at her school... and she went to one of the best business schools in the country. My brother also went through the major, ironically at the same school as the student teacher, and he can certainly vouch for its easiness... albeit defensively.
It's a safe option, but by god is it unrewarding if you want something out of college.
I'm soon starting my last semester for an Associate in Arts degree. Apparently transferring to a school for Business would be missing a lot of what I would need for Business (like I took Stats instead of Finite for math, so Stats wouldn't transfer) but it's like that for a lot of things so I might end up taking more classes than I need to or something and go for Business. Right now I only got electives left to complete the degree, and all of them would just be in vain if I didn't find my major (which I gotta do soon) so I chose something related to them rather than like pick random music and art classes.
Just do what I'm doing:

Go to a school that's too expensive for a year and half, drop out, and get a job/donate plasma so you don't have to move back in with your mom.
I've been unemployed for a couple months and also need a new job along with going into 3 or 4 classes for the upcoming semester. How did you get into donating plasma? I'd never do that, it's like your life force or something and I hate needles. What's your job?
Can you imagine if this guy just meant he couldn't pick a character?
Also got that problem. Certain characters use to "have it all", until they got nerfed (primarily in movement) and now most everyone feels decent to play but has dull aspects: so now I got Eli syndrome almost worse than he does. Pit's arrows were made to have more cooldown, enough that it stopped him from having the ability to do further actions in the air after an early short hop arrow (Waveland,Double jump, AGT) and makes him more or less stationary when he uses them. So he had the ability to move around and learn movement techniques using arrows, but now he's got still got the ability to move around but not in tandem while using arrows; you gotta Zelda it up. Lots of people feel this when their main for the sake of balance or good design is given less movement/options or more lag on their moves or something. I can play a host of characters now but I can't stick to one for that long out of boredom I'd guess.
As someone who recently graduated from college, I would personally say that there's a lot of job security in computer science - I know at least two people, both comp sci majors, who are making more than six figures as fresh undergraduates. As another example, my brother landed a summer internship that pays more than my full-time job.
I'm not suited for high level math or coding

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I'm currently majoring in Comp Sci for that very reason. I thought I would like it, but it's quite the opposite. I'm struggling with it hard right now but plan to just find a way to force myself to learn it. I hate that I'm doing that to myself but honestly, America can be a pile of feces sometimes and I need the security of knowing that I'll most likely get a job once I'm finished.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I don't want a comfy job, I want a fun one

I wanna get into video production, but I know that's a heavily iffy thing to get into. I asked prog about how to get a good job with it and his answer was straight-up "luck"

I think I might've gotten into the wrong gig, here

CORY

wut
BRoomer
In other news,
ARE YOU READY FOR THE MOST AVERAGE STREAM EVER?!
this is great : D it pretty much sums up those people who show up and are all "MAN! I'M SO GOOD AT THIS! YOU GUYS SHOULD TOTALLY LISTEN TO ME! WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO ME!?"

red9rd

Smash Ace
Got accepted into a pretty decent school and I'm going for that econ/chem double major
I mean I don't know exactly what I want to do, but I want to do something in either of those fields, which creates the problem of wanting to do more stuff than I may have time for
I just realized what your avatar is from.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i have a degree in being a "lady of the evening"

who wants to frickle frackle

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I've been unemployed for a couple months and also need a new job along with going into 3 or 4 classes for the upcoming semester. How did you get into donating plasma? I'd never do that, it's like your life force or something and I hate needles. What's your job?
My roommate needed money, so he looked up a donation center and started selling his plasma. He roped me in because they offer a bonus for referring a friend. Now it's just sort of a thing that we do.

It's not too bad if you don't have any extreme aversion to needles. They just take some of your blood, separate the plasma, and shove the blood back in for a while until they have enough of a donation. At the end, they replace the plasma with some saline and you haven't actually lost any red blood cells, so, unless you're just not eating at all, you feel fine afterwards.

As for the job, honestly, I only dropped out at the end of the semester a couple weeks ago and I'm still in the process of finding one. I've been a little lazy in my job hunt while I still have a little bit of a buffer rent-wise. That said, job + plasma donation will likely be the life for a while assuming I'm looking at my budget properly, especially when student loan payments kick in. I'd like to believe I could get a job at least somewhat related to what I was learning in college, but I'm more willing to believe that employers don't care too much about three semesters of computer science that ultimately resulted in no degree.

I don't want a comfy job, I want a fun one
That's the dream, and part of the reason I dropped out.

I went to an expensive trade school for computer science that has a reputation for being difficult. Because of that notoriety, and its location, you're basically guaranteed a job after graduation (at least that's what I was always told). I did great in all of my classes, but, overall, I've just been unhappy and crazy stressed out over the past year and a half. Anyway, when I looked at the stress that the school was piling on me, how expensive it was, and where the degree ultimately led, I decided to drop out.

I just turned 20 a week ago, I don't really know what I want in life yet. I figure that I'm young, I don't need that much stress, and I should take the time to figure out life and junk before going deeper into debt for a degree that I might not even want.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to put what I learned to use and make a game so that I can see if that's what I want to do with myself. Ideally, I wouldn't have to go back to college, and I could just have fun, be creative, and live comfortably enough just doing that.

Who knows though? I'm just happy that I'm taking a step back and giving myself the opportunity to explore the possibilities of life instead of (continuing to) immediately throw myself into college.

Edit: Holy ****. I didn't realize how much I wrote. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Top Bottom