• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You know. That fact that Suzukaze's Iron Shuriken in one of the new scans boosts the wielder's Spd by 2 and reduces an enemy's Mag by 2 and Def and Res by 3 just screams broken. xP

Now I'm worried about infinite durability again lol.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't see why the PMDT would need to focus that much on the singleplayer when the main focus of PM is the multiplayer. Making Subspace playable is all they really needed to do with it.
Gonna severely disagree there. If this is going to be such a game changer, I want it to affect single player as well. SSE with better level design and maybe even more interesting and recognizable settings and maybe even enemies, bosses included, is definitely something I'd definitely enjoy. Even some better Break the Target stages. They already fixed/improved Event Matches.

Multiplayer may be the main aspect, but it doesn't have to be the only one and it's not the only important one. There was a time for me where I played single player in Smash games way more than multiplayer an that was in Melee for Classic, Adventure and All-Star. That changed cause Brawl and Smash 4 don't have much going for them in terms in the overall quality and enjoyment value of single player.

Besides, multiplayer is always the same no matter what anyway. Stat changes aside, there's not much more that's really interesting to do with it at this point unless they come up with another awesome Special Smash idea. It'd be kinda cool if you could switch between characters in a team at will in All-Star Versus while the damage you've taken stays the same until death just to keep you on your toes and make you think about when to do it.

But meh, I'm just shooting **** at this point.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Isai could win a national in any smash game he played

but he doesn't play smash for the gameplay or the exhilaration of winning he plays it for the good feelings

like how hanako plays chess

(I'm probably totally wrong but I like to think that isai is hanako)
I first thought there was some crazy good GM Hanako who retired and now only plays "casual" tournaments. Googled it and was disappointed.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Even some better Break the Target stages.
I agree with all you said, but especially with this. The downgrade this game mode got in Brawl was beyond ridiculous.

In Melee every character had its own Break the Targets, and in pretty much in all of them you had to use what the character had, like how you had to wall jump at the start of Young Link's stage. Playing all of them was actually fun.

Meanwhile, Brawl got five stages divided in difficulties for all characters that couldn't be more boring, that really made completing all of them with every character kind of a pain. The fact that you have to play two stages instead of one in Classic is quite the pain too.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I thought the PMDT said that bringing back individual target tests would be nigh impossible.

Even if they didn't, that sounds like it would be a coding nightmare

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Gotta totally agree with Kaye. Just because multiplayer is the main aspect does not mean Single player endeavors such as a Subspace should be ignored, and I'm not going to even name the others he already listed, as it's mostly fruitless and I'm being lazy.
-
Also, hey guys long time no see. What's up? I played in Revelations 2. I'd link you to the page...but it's expired. Hell we had M2k come.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't want a story. I don't need character development. I want the atmosphere, I want the gameplay.

I don't need to know who Samus is, all I need to know is my mission. Let me make up my own thoughts on the matter.
...Not Metroid related, but I can't help but feel like that kind of mindset is the reason why Miyamoto is able to get away with his same old boring routine all of the time in his games. ¦D;

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
a revamped SSE with a more stream lined path and no progression blocking fights would be so dope. I'd love to do time trials/speed runs of it to practice movement

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Silent protagonists can have interesting things happen to them all the time, and display whatever goofy or stoic qualities they have through animations. They are blank slates you imprint upon, otherwise you get Nintendo's attempt at dialogue where the character no longer sounds like the one you imagined. People see Samus as being emotionally damaged now when I know that wasn't the intention at all.

This is completely separate from the plot of the story, which doesn't have to constantly repeat itself even if the same bad guys keep showing up. If the lack of dialogue makes the character or their world boring to some people, that is probably due to a lack of imagination.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Miyamoto doesn't really play video games, and it kind of ends up being a double-edged sword. On one hand, he can be slow to pick up on his own mistakes or seeing when other games or companies do things better, and on the other hand, he has a clearer mindset going into making games and isn't too prone to following industry trends. He's more able to see what truly makes the games enjoyable, and still make things fresh even if it still follows the same formula of older games.

I remember Miyazaki saying a similar thing about Japanese animation: the problem with today's anime is most authors are anime fanboys. This makes them get caught up in the tired old tropes and motifs and stops them from doing something truly creative with the medium.

eideeiit

Smash Ace
What if Samus came across other specimens of Ridley's species? I mean, he worked for the space pirates and was one of them but wasn't the same species right?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
What if Samus came across other specimens of Ridley's species? I mean, he worked for the space pirates and was one of them but wasn't the same species right?
Ridley is their leader.

We have met Sclayd in Metroid and Super Metroid which are pint sized Kraid so there is precedent for that in the games.

There is also an unused sprite which appears to be another of Ridley's species in Metroid.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Going to random tournament in OK

Should I enter as Bread or Lounge Cat

Edit: @ D DethM stop trying to say you can beat dad lmao

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
hrmmm... anyone know why like clockwork won't let me save it to my phone?

like, i can physically move the folder over to my phone, and it shows being there from the computer, but if i check on my phone, it doesn't show anywhere (definitely not under the queens of the stone age tab). if i move individual songs over, half of them show up, but they're not consistent.

is it some wack ass drm from ripping the cd on my own or something that i've never encountered before?

SunJester

Smash Ace
Fusion is way better than Super in atmosphere. No other game really has the horror part down the way it does.
Opinions are opinions and you're allowed to have your own, but (im gonna be an ass here) Fusion is NOT better than Super in terms of atmosphere. Yes, the SA-X parts are brilliant, and heart pounding and oh my god I freaking love the parts with SA-X, but talking to Adam, having clear directions all the time, with an understanding of whats coming, an understanding of what you're going to get, what you need to accomplish, how you're going to get there.

It's all very direct and straight forward. They're pushing a narrative and it feels like you're along for the ride.

In Super you land on a planet.

And you have to find your own way.

No narrative, only your intuition.

I agree the SA-X moments are brilliant, but very few games even come close to the atmosphere of Super, and Fusion isn't one of them.

...Not Metroid related, but I can't help but feel like that kind of mindset is the reason why Miyamoto is able to get away with his same old boring routine all of the time in his games. ¦D;
Kind of, Miyamoto is definitely stuck in a mindset. However just because Metroid shouldn't have a story doesn't mean it shouldn't be innovative. A focus on atmosphere and gameplay is a rather open statement. There's a lot of innovative new things you can do inside of those parameters.

Its like the difference between Super and Prime, both are quite different games but they nail the atmosphere, the exploration and the gameplay parts. My issue with Other M wasn't the fast paced gameplay, it was what felt like a very linear, story driven experience that wasn't engrossing atmospherically at all. It felt like a decent action game with a horrible story and not Metroid.

Samus works better silenced. She shouldn't direct your thoughts on what you're going to, the visceral experience should be left up to your interpretation.

But that doesn't exclude innovation from a gameplay perspective.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The Prime games have a rather meaty story to them with not too much spoken dialogue. There are a lot of logs to read as well which fill you in on everything from the purpose of machinery to the planet's history and current events. You could say the original Prime is the one with the least amount of story but as you go through the game it becomes clear something is poisoning the planet and you have to stop the Phazon production. This all leads to the sequels too.

So while you could argue the story takes a backseat to the atmosphere and the gameplay or the more accurate assessment that it compliments those elements, it isn't so removed as you suggest at all.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Opinions are opinions and you're allowed to have your own, but (im gonna be an *** here) Fusion is NOT better than Super in terms of atmosphere. Yes, the SA-X parts are brilliant, and heart pounding and oh my god I freaking love the parts with SA-X, but talking to Adam, having clear directions all the time, with an understanding of whats coming, an understanding of what you're going to get, what you need to accomplish, how you're going to get there.

It's all very direct and straight forward. They're pushing a narrative and it feels like you're along for the ride.

In Super you land on a planet.

And you have to find your own way.

No narrative, only your intuition.

I agree the SA-X moments are brilliant, but very few games even come close to the atmosphere of Super, and Fusion isn't one of them.

Kind of, Miyamoto is definitely stuck in a mindset. However just because Metroid shouldn't have a story doesn't mean it shouldn't be innovative. A focus on atmosphere and gameplay is a rather open statement. There's a lot of innovative new things you can do inside of those parameters.

Its like the difference between Super and Prime, both are quite different games but they nail the atmosphere, the exploration and the gameplay parts. My issue with Other M wasn't the fast paced gameplay, it was what felt like a very linear, story driven experience that wasn't engrossing atmospherically at all. It felt like a decent action game with a horrible story and not Metroid.

Samus works better silenced. She shouldn't direct your thoughts on what you're going to, the visceral experience should be left up to your interpretation.

But that doesn't exclude innovation from a gameplay perspective.
You're confusing atmosphere (the general mood and tones of the game) with having direction dude. Direction is only a part of the atmosphere, not the whole thing. Sure super just drops you on the planet and says "go get the metroid back from the pirates", and lets you do whatever, but Fusion's direction lends itself better to the actual atmosphere. Samus and the AI have no ****ing clue as to what the X are doing. Samus has been extremely depowered, making the gathering of her abilities a team is racing to replicate top priority, but at the same time the X catch on quickly and start destroying her options for recieving these vital powers. That sense of urgency in the game is the atmosphere. Not the matter of being directional/nondirectional

Last edited:

DethM

Smash Apprentice
You're confusing atmosphere (the general mood and tones of the game) with having direction dude. Direction is only a part of the atmosphere, not the whole thing. Sure super just drops you on the planet and says "go get the metroid back from the pirates", and lets you do whatever, but Fusion's direction lends itself better to the actual atmosphere. Samus and the AI have no ****ing clue as to what the X are doing. Samus has been extremely depowered, making the gathering of her abilities a team is racing to replicate top priority, but at the same time the X catch on quickly and start destroying her options for recieving these vital powers. That sense of urgency in the game is the atmosphere. Not the matter of being directional/nondirectional
Agreeing completely with Plate here

but I'm biased, Fusion is my favorite Metroid game.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I've joined Project M! So far I like playing as Kirby, Bowser and Yoshi, so I'll learn them. However I've got a problem I didn't expect. I tried asking for advice on Anther's Ladder on how to play online, and got chased off by some very rude people. Apparantly noobs aren't well tolerated. Am I going to be welcome in this community? First impressions haven't been spectacular...

DethM

Smash Apprentice
I've joined Project M! So far I like playing as Kirby, Bowser and Yoshi, so I'll learn them. However I've got a problem I didn't expect. I tried asking for advice on Anther's Ladder on how to play online, and got chased off by some very rude people. Apparantly noobs aren't well tolerated. Am I going to be welcome in this community? First impressions haven't been spectacular...
The PM community is generally very nice and accepting, yeah. But Anther's is basically Smash Twitch, lol. Dw about it.

Although we have no ****ing sense of humor. Just saying.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Net play warriors aren't very good representations of the scene, it all depends where you look for advice. People in this thread will always be down to give you pointers/resources or direct you to other places to Learn

Vashimus

Smash Master
I think the biggest problem for Metroid is that there really isn't a set supervisor the design team can go to make sure the game is on the right track. It doesn't have a Miyamoto or Aonuma to say "Nuh-uh, this sucks. This isn't what the series is about. Change it now." Yokoi is long gone (may he rest in peace), and Sakamoto certainly overestimated himself with what he could accomplish with Other M. Retro Studios' love for the series allowed them to make an amazing original trilogy, but even they needed some help from top Nintendo EAD members for Prime 1.

They kind of just stuck in a rut right now because they aren't sure what to do with the franchise and want to wait till they have a solid foundation to work with, which is fine. Metroid's my favorite Nintendo franchise and I'd hate for it's next game to be half-assed after this long a hiatus. They could take all the time they need, I still have many other games vying for my attention.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Offer value to people. This can be as simple as deep conversation or inspiring advice, or actual offered value (inviting someone to some party, hang out for a game night, introducing them to someone you think they'd like to meet etc.) When someone is a truly valuable addition to a person's life, they notice, and will reciprocate by providing value back.

By the same token, people do not like when others take value but offer nothing in return, which is obvious, but I didn't realize until learning the hard way years ago. By bugging and hounding people in high school to hang out or send info about that party in the weekend, people viewed me as a liability, and were less likely to want to follow up. This is what people mean when they want to ask for a favor from someone but then say "Nah, he doesn't know me like that." If you bring value to people's lives FIRST, things go much smoother.

Obviously don't take it to extremes to the point where people are using you and you start becoming a people-pleaser. If these "friends" are taking advantage of your services and giving nothing in return, then it's best to cut them from your life.
yes
but how do i do the being of value thing
pms help i want to friend

i know this is a late reply but its relevant to my interests

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wait wait wait wait.

Star Wars Battlefront 3 is actually a thing? Seriously? Why am I just now hearing about this?

What what what what.

What the hell kind of rock have I been living under.

Edit - Bleh, Nevermind. Even though this is my first time hearing about it just looking at what is known about it makes me see that I missed nothing by not hearing about.

Last edited:

himemiya

Smash Lord
Try hards and tourney-**** tend to look down on newer player or ones with not so much experience. Thats for all competitive games so don't mind them.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Thanks guys ^^ I hope I can find some sparring partners here instead; don't wanna quit before I even get started! Until then, LV9 CPUs for now :p

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I don't care about any of that. I want a Metroid game that starts in media res with Samus and Sylux shooting each other down over an unknown planet, and then you spend the rest of the game, as Samus, hunting Sylux down.
Samus is a fugitive at this point. So what if the the fed sends Sylux to hunt her.
What
10/what

Fusion is way better than Super in atmosphere. No other game really has the horror part down the way it does. It's really simular to halo ODST in that you were once a power suited badass, but now you're a way weaker character/samus and you have to actually account for it
I have to disagree, Super had no dialogue except at the beginning, and it made the simplistic story stronger. The GBA dialogues between Samus and a computer were unintresting and awkward. The music was also very off, SA-X alert music was carnival music for some reason. Most importantly, the colors and assets and the fact the scenery doesn't transition without separating chrome lab environments makes the whole experience feel artificial, which it is in terms of the story, but it just isn't as atmospheric as Super.

I hope if they make another 2D Metroid the abilities aren't arbitrarily limiting. Not being able to midair bomb jump in Fusion, really?
I thought the PMDT said that bringing back individual target tests would be nigh impossible.

Even if they didn't, that sounds like it would be a coding nightmare
@ standardtoaster standardtoaster said it wouldn't be a problem on his AMA :p

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Miyamoto was key to Metroid Prime. Turning a game about neo nazis into a Metroid-themed game, the 3rd person shooter it was going to be into a FPS and ideas for the visor system and for the morphosphere. Then the huge number of scrapped ideas and concept arts shows that Retro by their own cared a lot about the series.

I have high hopes for the next instalment of Metroid.

Bleck

Smash Master
yeah people like to talk **** about Miyamoto and it's always funny to me 'cause he's basically perfect at what he does

SunJester

Smash Ace
Somethings about Miyamoto really frustrate me, sometimes hes stuck too much in a mindset, like when Kondo had to plead with him so that he could put orchestrated music into Skyward Sword.

I don't think this changes the fact that he's one of the best, if not the best, game developers out there. I really hope he can work his magic on the new Star Fox.

Top Bottom