• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Playable characters should be, y'know, characters, and not grotesque monsters with seemingly no personality, soulless eyes, and no varying expressions.

Ridley would be such a misfit to the rest of the cast who either display emotion, have personality, are charming, or are at least humanoid.
I'm a big fan of monsters; I'll have to disagree.
1.Ridley is a menacing character. Ganondorf is pretty much the only character in PM close to that role. We could use another serious villain.
2.The expression is conveyed in the animation, and Ridley's design is particularly good at expressing through animation (compared to say Olimar, whose body and eyes are quite limited). If you don't believe me, just look at what Silentdoom worked on.
3.Counterexample for whether "emotion" is an issue: If we are to assume the Metroid representation in Brawl (and therefore PM) is primarily based on Super Metroid, then Varia Suit Samus and ROB display about as much emotion (if not less) than Ridley would. I can't imagine many people would want Samus and ROB out. I understand that emotion and personality are strong criteria for whether a character could be eligible, but they aren't the only factors.
4. I don't think "humanoid" is a significant trait, considering characters that aren't humanoid aren't exactly anomalies in Smash.
5. I personally find Ridley charming, but if you aren't a fan of monsters to begin with, that explains why he doesn't fit your requirement.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'm a big fan of monsters, I'll have to disagree.
1.Ridley is a menacing character. Ganondorf is pretty much the only character in PM close to that role.
Yeah bowser just looks so huggable

Also I'm the #1 supporter of ROB getting some animations with actual personality, **** his current animations
His moves need more oomph, right now he's just a soulless piece of metal swinging metal limbs

Last edited:

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
I have ascended to the next level, My ***** Carpal and I on smashladder tonight had a brain storming session while high that through a series of incredible timing and opposing views about the game caused us to both realize that I, who had watched a ton of videos and stuff and played sonic had learned to play neutral so my punish game and pressure upon approaching game was something i couldnt even understand till recently. He on the other hand plays zelda and hid his lack of neutral game through some decent dash dancing when people got too close for dins and constant dins pressure while stuffing the forced approaches into an honestly incredible punish game. He has parts of a neutral game but didnt understand it. I learned my neutral game 2 months in so my punish game sucked. Basically i was playing someone named daedalus who told me that he uste just run at people and eventually he was applying so much pressure that he broke through a wall and saw the neutral game. Carpal messaged me like 20 minutes after having this talk and was asking me a bunch of questions which i answered over and over untill he reached a question that i answered, to which he replied with the same question, and i replied with the same answer. We had reached the center and started to try and dumb it down for eachother eventually it clicked for me, carpal had JUST broken through that wall, this person i thought and i guess still do think is a great player didnt understand neutral untill tonight. I typed this to him and it clicked and we realized that we had both learned different sides of the same coin. We had dug 2 tunnels that literally collided with eachother at the exact same time and it became like his half of the game was mine and my half of the game was his. We then played for 2 hours or so and by the end, this person whod been 3-4 stocking me for months was being taken down to last stock consistently for the last few games. We had literally just both gotten good together at the exact same time.

tl:dr how to become smash blood rivals

I started typing this before the site went down and now im going to bed so i can wake up tomorrow happy as ****

and shout outs to DrinkingFood for playing me every night this last week for 2-3 hours and making it all possible to begin with

and shout outs to marijuana now i know why Morgan Freeman said to "Never give up the ganja"

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Cougar is so much better than Ridley. Aside from the fact he has no licensing issues given he's an animal. Nintendo would just be like "wtf?"

In other news, after reading the word "dug" just now: I want to play Dig Dug.

And I'm so glad YT finally supports 60fps. 30fps is so bad.
https://youtu.be/K6E6Zp5sYvs?t=39

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I've had all of one SO for five weeks in high school like 5+ years ago at this point. Whilst I still crave that sort of affection, I just don't think I'm in the correct place mentally to have another relationship. So yeah, I haven't kissed someone in years.

S A D B O Y S

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I've had all of one SO for five weeks in high school like 5+ years ago at this point. Whilst I still crave that sort of affection, I just don't think I'm in the correct place mentally to have another relationship. So yeah, I haven't kissed someone in years.

S A D B O Y S
Go on

You're gonna make your 5am post about relationships less than a paragraph? Meanwhile some guy named DrugsM2 is cramming 3 into 1, about some of the worst sounding noob **** over netplay

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Go on

You're gonna make your 5am post about relationships less than a paragraph? Meanwhile some guy named DrugsM2 is cramming 3 into 1, about some of the worst sounding noob **** over netplay
What would you like to know about me? I'm an open book, and I'd be interested in and comfortable with answering anyone's personal questions.

Bleck

Smash Master
y'all kids talkin' 'bout relationships but I can't even tell if you think your waifus count or not

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
WTF this thread. Also good morning from CST

Also final day of Texas Showdown is today.

Also for everything else.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Sorry if this is offtopic, but I found this thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/35ek7y/turbometer_mode/. It pertains to the idea that a meter will fill as you fight and you can go into turbo mode or your final smash. The reason I'm posting this here is that I think it could be a really cool mode that could be coded easily. The other thing as well is that there are hidden graphics on Brawl's disc pertaining to an unused meter (here: https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl/Unused_Graphics#.22Level.22_Bar). This meter could just easily be used if they were coding something like that. I wanted to post the unused graphics on reddit because it could potentially easily spark that idea (but I don't have a reddit account XD). I also kind of wanted others input on the idea, which I think would be pretty cool XD

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hello there! So i was before in Smash 4 social Thread when i was questionning myself who his the character who got the most nerfed in 3.5 and buffed also! I appricied anyone who can answer at my question!:substitute:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Hello there! So i was before in Smash 4 social Thread when i was questionning myself who his the character who got the most nerfed in 3.5 and buffed also! I appricied anyone who can answer at my question!:substitute:
ayy lao (◥◣_◢◤)

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
I think Diddy, Pit, or M2 got nerfed the most iirc.
Diddy and M2 are still really good, though. I'd say Pit probably got nerfed most out of those, seeing as he's considered bottom-tier by most people, or at best low-mid.

As for buffs, pretty much nobody got substantial buffs.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Diddy and M2 are still really good, though. I'd say Pit probably got nerfed most out of those, seeing as he's considered bottom-tier by most people, or at best low-mid.

As for buffs, pretty much nobody got substantial buffs.
Didn't Ganondorf recevied the most buff with his new and old move? Also thank you for the rest.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Zelda got nerfed more LMAO :(

Also happy mother's day nerds do something for her.

EDIT: Also Texas Showdown has started lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/pandaxgaming for GG XRD top 16 and Smash 4 Wii U top 8

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive For Ultra SF4 top 16 to top 8, UMVC3 top 8(Starting right now), MKX top 16 and possibly GG XRD top 8 here as well.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Yeah bowser just looks so huggable

Also I'm the #1 supporter of ROB getting some animations with actual personality, **** his current animations
His moves need more oomph, right now he's just a soulless piece of metal swinging metal limbs
sorry to break it to you, but he's a robot. i think those are literally soulless pieces of metal, almost by definition...

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of monsters; I'll have to disagree.
1.Ridley is a menacing character. Ganondorf is pretty much the only character in PM close to that role. We could use another serious villain.
2.The expression is conveyed in the animation, and Ridley's design is particularly good at expressing through animation (compared to say Olimar, whose body and eyes are quite limited). If you don't believe me, just look at what Silentdoom worked on.
3.Counterexample for whether "emotion" is an issue: If we are to assume the Metroid representation in Brawl (and therefore PM) is primarily based on Super Metroid, then Varia Suit Samus and ROB display about as much emotion (if not less) than Ridley would. I can't imagine many people would want Samus and ROB out. I understand that emotion and personality are strong criteria for whether a character could be eligible, but they aren't the only factors.
4. I don't think "humanoid" is a significant trait, considering characters that aren't humanoid aren't exactly anomalies in Smash.
5. I personally find Ridley charming, but if you aren't a fan of monsters to begin with, that explains why he doesn't fit your requirement.
I mentioned being humanoid because that trait immediately conveys the idea of being sentient and having at least some sort persona.
Whereas with anything that is a creature or something else, their character has to be shown through their expressions and how they act, etc.

And I didn't say those were all necessary criteria, I said all other characters have at least one of those things that make them feel like characters as opposed to something like ridley, who appears to have none of what I mentioned.

With charm being debatable I suppose. I myself certainly don't get how you'd be charmed by shrill screeches, soulless eyes, and a gaping maw...
So yeah, not the biggest fan of monsters; they're usually pretty uninteresting when compared to say, the antagonist who is probably responsible for them. However, I do know they have their place. I just don't think it's on this cast of colorful characters, where none of which were designed to horrify.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
That's kind of tough....

What's your current situation regarding those choices? Is your current PC kinda trash? Do you have a lot of time to play video games(and thus justify the console purchases)? Having more Melee/PM setups would help you run tournaments easier-is there a serious lack of them? Can you convince players to bring their setups in some way?

Top Bottom