• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The more I think about it, the better the idea of carrying a cucumber around and eating it during a tourney sounds. Decently filling, help with hydration, you can start goofy convos with it...

I already tend bring almonds and ask if people want to eat my nuts,, may as well go all in and bring a cucumber, too.
Lollipop master race.

I'm the lollipop guy at my locals.

I almost always bring a full bag of lollipops whenever I get the chance to go to locals (which hasn't been in what feels like forever because **** has been busy for me recently, hoping that will change this weekend but I'm not getting my hopes up).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Steam drama on a Monday is the worst.

I just wanna go home and play PM, r.i.p.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Because you wait until they hit the ground, Ganon cant even act again UNTIL squirtle hits the ground. Teching and hitting the ground without tech are visually AND audibly distinct from one another and you can tell when either happens. You keep ignoring me saying that it depends on what they do when they hit the ground, and acting like it's some impossibly fast timing. This is the THIRD time i've told you: Side b the moment they tech, you WILL get the flame choke. All of Squirtle's tech options have too little invincibility to escape this. If they do not tech (which if you cant tell the difference you should stop playing this game competitively), you have 27 frames before squirtle can act, which is more than enough time to wait outside of getup attack range, and prepare for another side b.
If Ganon dashes away for ~5 frames and then flame chokes in, he can cover all of Squirtle's tech options.

However, if you're reacting to the tech vs no tech mixup, Ganon needs to flame choke in under 11 frames after the tech occurs, which, as DF has pointed out, is not reliably reactable. Any more than that, and Squirtle can buffer spot dodge to escape.

And no, 27 frames is not enough to get out another flame choke if you've already committed to one. If Squirtle rolls out of his missed tech as soon as possible, and Ganon flame chokes on frame 5 after Squirtle hits the ground initially (after dashing back for coverage for those 5 frames), Ganon and Squirtle can both act again on exactly the same frame.

It's an easy read and a stupid thing that shouldn't happen, but it's not guaranteed without some level of reads. You need 10-frame reaction time to decide whether or not to flame choke, and if you make the wrong decision, you do not get any guarantees.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
If Ganon dashes away for ~5 frames and then flame chokes in, he can cover all of Squirtle's tech options.

However, if you're reacting to the tech vs no tech mixup, Ganon needs to flame choke in under 11 frames after the tech occurs, which, as DF has pointed out, is not reliably reactable. Any more than that, and Squirtle can buffer spot dodge to escape.

And no, 27 frames is not enough to get out another flame choke if you've already committed to one. If Squirtle rolls out of his missed tech as soon as possible, and Ganon flame chokes on frame 5 after Squirtle hits the ground initially (after dashing back for coverage for those 5 frames), Ganon and Squirtle can both act again on exactly the same frame.

It's an easy read and a stupid thing that shouldn't happen, but it's not guaranteed without some level of reads. You need 10-frame reaction time to decide whether or not to flame choke, and if you make the wrong decision, you do not get any guarantees.
You people cant read. You side b the moment squirtle techs, it's covered. Squirtle misses the tech from the moment he hits the ground HE CANNOT ACT FOR 27 FRAMES. Ganon can act on frame 1 (the moment squirtle hits the ground) of these 27, giving more than enough time to see what a squirtle will do.

You guys keep acting like you have to do a flame choke before squirtle even touches the ground which is impossible because YOU'RE STILL IN ENDLAG OF THE FIRST FLAME CHOKE.

I guess everyone's wrong about the 3rd time being the charm

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
You people cant read. You side b the moment squirtle techs, it's covered. Squirtle misses the tech from the moment he hits the ground HE CANNOT ACT FOR 27 FRAMES. Ganon can act on frame 1 (the moment squirtle hits the ground) of these 27, giving more than enough time to see what a squirtle will do.

You guys keep acting like you have to do a flame choke before squirtle even touches the ground which is impossible because YOU'RE STILL IN ENDLAG OF THE FIRST FLAME CHOKE.

I guess everyone's wrong about the 3rd time being the charm
Yeah, he can't act for 27 frames. What's your point? And when did anyone say you have to start a flame choke before Squirtle hits the ground? I specifically said you have to start flame choke in under 11 frames after the tech occurs. The tech does, in fact, occur after Squirtle hits the ground. I kind of thought you knew that.

Let's break this down a little more.

Squirtle has two options:
1. Tech
2. Don't tech

If he chooses option 1 (one) then Ganon can cover all of his tech roll options by using a second flame choke in 10 (ten) frames or fewer of Squirtle hitting the ground.

If he chooses option 2 (two) then Ganon has slightly less than half a second to capitalize on it before Squirtle can do anything.

Now, if Ganon wants to cover both options 1 (one) AND 2 (two), he needs to be able to react to which option Squirtle takes.

However, because Ganon needs to start the flame choke in 10 (ten) frames or fewer after Squirtle hits the ground and either techs or does not tech to cover the tech option, he cannot reliably get a guaranteed punish on reaction.

If he flame chokes in 10 (ten) frames or fewer after Squirtle hits the ground, then his will attack will connect if Squirtle techs, but if Squirtle does not tech, Ganon does not grab him, and Squirtle can get up before Ganon can put out another hitbox.

If he does not flame choke in 10 (ten) frames or fewer after Squirtle hits the ground, if Squirtle takes the tech option, he can spot dodge a late flame choke attempt, and if Squirtle does not take the tech option, Ganon can punish the missed tech.

Is this dumb as hell? **** yeah. Does it make the matchup stupid? Well yeah.

But is it an infinite? No. I don't think it is.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
You can't make a reaction based informed decisions in 10 frames. You have to guess/read. Thats not an infinite.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Konami just confirmed a few hours ago the cancelation of Silent Hills. What's interesting about it is this part of Konami's statement:
"Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic Silent Hills project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued," according to the statement provided to Polygon.

No mention of Kojima again. It's like they erased his existence or something.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You dont have to guess. Like why is that so hard to understand for you people? You wait for the tech, and if they do, ypu side b. You just have to side b within 10 frames of the squirtle teching which is easy. They dont tech, you have a free 27 frames. It's a ****ing option select on reaction.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ok its settled guys, im gonna start working on maining Ike / Charizard

im bringing the heat AYYYYYLMAOOOOO

Magus420

Smash Master
Wtf do you not understand about from the time between when they touch the ground and the game first indicates if they teched or not -> time your brain can actually process that information after that happens to act on it it is already too late to start side-b to grab a standing tech in time? Do you not get the concept of reaction time? Non-tech stand is the same way.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Clearly, plateplop just has the reaction time of the gods.

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
As nice as my brother is, no. The last incriminating thing we did was a hug for a long while because I was having a bad few days last month.

Though if that PMS dating sim becomes a thing I'd think a subplot in "our" path involving the MC trying to find out about possibly incestuous relations could end in hilarity. Just have us doing really close stuff platonically even while around the MC and just wrap it up mid-investigation nonchalantly as just "siblings that actually like each other."

Having one walk in on the other during an h-scene with the MC and showing their reaction as they slowly back out of the room would be great too lol

Can you tell I'm messed up? :p

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
You dont have to guess. Like why is that so hard to understand for you people? You wait for the tech, and if they do, ypu side b. You just have to side b within 10 frames of the squirtle teching which is easy. They dont tech, you have a free 27 frames. It's a ****ing option select on reaction.
You can't make a reaction based informed decisions in 10 frames. You have to guess/read. Thats not an infinite.
You just can't consistently react that well.

And even if you could, how is it an infinite? If you don't tech, he can't follow up with another flame choke guaranteed. If he's going to be sure to cover the tech, he needs to be dashing away for the first ~5 frames, leaving him in a dash with 22 frames to punish the missed tech, which means he'll probably dash attack. Maybe he can turn around and do a dtilt or a low ftilt. But none of those lead to infinites, and I'm pretty sure even if you WD'd back in and b-reverse nB that Ganon can't jab reset Squirtle that late because he's so low.

So you get combo'd, that sucks, sure, but that's not an infinite either.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Wtf do you not understand about from the time between when they touch the ground and the game first indicates if they teched or not -> time your brain can actually process that information after that happens to act on it it is already too late to start side-b to grab a standing tech in time? Do you not get the concept of reaction time? Non-tech stand is the same way.
If you cant input a side b in 10 frames SDI must be hell

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Clearly its just Plate being regular ol' Plate.

As nice as my brother is, no. The last incriminating thing we did was a hug for a long while because I was having a bad few days last month.

Though if that PMS dating sim becomes a thing I'd think a subplot in "our" path involving the MC trying to find out about possibly incestuous relations could end in hilarity. Just have us doing really close stuff platonically even while around the MC and just wrap it up mid-investigation nonchalantly as just "siblings that actually like each other."

Having one walk in on the other during an h-scene with the MC and showing their reaction as they slowly back out of the room would be great too lol

Can you tell I'm messed up? :p
Wat.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
WOAH WOAH REACTING IN 10 FRAMES?????????
LEARN HOW TO DO IT IN ONE EASY TRICK
SMASHERS HATE ME
lmao, people think smash is wholly reactionary based?
ever heard of a reflex?
do you think players think to themselves in their brain during hitlag frames that they should SDI?
yeah i know blah blah they can see the startup of the move etc
whatever, i dont react to the startup of every move in a game and sometimes i find my hands will move to SDI regardless

players teach themselves to reflex to these sorts of things. when you experience the same situation over and over again, you dont need to process the info and your hands will move on their own

10 frames is a **** ton of time LOL

KEEP TALKING ABOUT REACTIONARY TIMES LMAO, ITS ****ING IRRELEVANT

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
average reaction time for humans: .20-.30 seconds
length of one frame: .017 seconds
length of ten frames: .17 seconds

so yes if plate can pull an infinite out of that he certainly does have above average reaction time

edit: situational based reflexes are much faster, yes, you can tell when you're going to get hit based upon starting animations of opponents moves and ending animations of your moves without consciously thinking about it

but when it comes down to a simple decision mixup where the first visual cue you have is 10 frames before the end of your window it would be incredibly impressive if you could react in time and make a decision based on whether or not to side b

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I have a 3 minute reaction time. After the match is over I start mashing buttons.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
but when it comes down to a simple decision mixup where the first visual cue you have is 10 frames before the end of your window it would be incredibly impressive if you could react in time and make a decision based on whether or not to side b
I LITERALLY JUST SAID
REFLEX
NOT REACT

I MADE IT BIG SO YOU COULD SEE IT DOES IT HELP?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Clearly, plateplop just has the reaction time of the gods.
Sigging this lol
You just can't consistently react that well.

And even if you could, how is it an infinite? If you don't tech, he can't follow up with another flame choke guaranteed. If he's going to be sure to cover the tech, he needs to be dashing away for the first ~5 frames, leaving him in a dash with 22 frames to punish the missed tech, which means he'll probably dash attack. Maybe he can turn around and do a dtilt or a low ftilt. But none of those lead to infinites, and I'm pretty sure even if you WD'd back in and b-reverse nB that Ganon can't jab reset Squirtle that late because he's so low.

So you get combo'd, that sucks, sure, but that's not an infinite either.
Wat
10/wat
You're putting things backwards. If they miss tech, you move out of getup attack range and then side b when they roll,stand, or after the getup swings in your direction. But there's 27 frames BEFORE Squirtle can do any of those options, you dont just have 27 frames to punish.

I LITERALLY JUST SAID
REFLEX
NOT REACT

Your avatar makes this comment so much better

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I LITERALLY JUST SAID
REFLEX
NOT REACT

It's..not a reflex though you have to make a choice. Also a reflex is a reaction. Involuntary reactions(reflexes) are generally fairly bad in fighting games and you should feel silly for trying to make others feel dumb when you don't really understand what you're talking about or what a reflex even is.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
but it's not a reflex it's a decision
sorry, i dont think i can help you understand this concept anymore
bottom line, its dumb that it's only 10 frames and you've got yourself an infinite
here, laugh at this funny video instead

reflex is the incorrect term, but procedural/implicit memory or w/e i just looked up is probably the correct term
semantics semantics, ****'s still possible

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828

It's like I'm the only one here who knows when to fold 'em.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
This was Namco's April Fools thing this year... and it's going to be released later this week on Japan for mobile devices.

Top Bottom