• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Has any one tips for a good competitive mindset? My main problems are those (applies to both Smash and chess and basically anything I do at a somehow competitive level):
Making some mistakes always makes me partially lose my focus and it gets only worse from then on.
I'm not good at making comebacks in general.
I also lose focus in high-pressure situations (time-trouble in chess, last stock high percent in Smash).
In tournaments (I only have experience here in chess but I am very confident the same would apply to Smash) my performance gets worse over time (during one game and from game to game). Could be some kind of mental endurance (although I always bring enough water and food), losing focus over time, or getting more and more annoyed due to previous mistakes.
I also have some opponents against which I can win some games but less than our scores against other opponents would suggest.

Has anyone helpful tips other than "Focus on the game" or other blatantly obvious things?

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
wait do you mean the one hit k.o. thing?
he actually pulled that off?
He did, check the VOD for shots fired im sure its in the top 8 and he did pull it off.
i mean it was an edgeguard but still :dkmelee:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
speaking of ike did you guys see that thing were he charged up the neutral b on dreamland and hit it?
i was balling so hard
Oh dude when are you moving to az? Our scene is super tight, I'm sure you'll fit in really quickly. Where are you moving too? The bigger groups of players are centered around pheonix/tempe and then tuscon

Get in the Facebook groups too

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
Oh dude when are you moving to az? Our scene is super tight, I'm sure you'll fit in really quickly. Where are you moving too? The bigger groups of players are centered around pheonix/tempe and then tuscon

Get in the Facebook groups too
chalndler or something like that. should be near phoenix
and ive never actually been to a tourney that was legit, i mostly just play on dolphin tbh
also ill make a facebook when i move there so yeah im pretty hype

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

This gyf summarizes the diddy zelda mu really well

great stage control against zelda the whole time, but she lives forever, then gets a grab and boom stock

Actually that's like every diddy mu in a nutshell

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I don't really mind it, you can sdi out of it if they miss space it.
I'm salty diddy lost his though lol

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
@Frostav
http://smashboards.com/threads/dash-pivot-tilts-are-easy-in-pm.354189/
Pivots aren't a one frame thing in PM, they just take a little finesse.
That said, they're hardly a common AT and probably not the best to start your intro to basic movement with. Short hopping or shielding->short hopping out of a dash is a basic option you should make a point of becoming fluent with (especially since it matters later on for WDing). Next, you'll want to work on dashdancing because Marth has an excellent grab game and you'll often want to withhold your other grounded attacks anyways because you'd rather go for a grab.

You'll need to become especially aware of the intitial dash/run differences as Marth, since out of basically any character with a meaningful run-dtilt, he has the longest initial dash.

Eventually you'll start to see that it becomes important to threaten the range where your opponent's dash converts to a full run for the exact purpose of limiting their advancing hitboxes. It's one of the things to look for if you want to take stage positioning (if they dash away or go to a platform) or catch your opponent in the air (which they might be tempted to go to because more often than not their best forward-facing attack will be an aerial, thanks to those limited options out of dash). It's honestly too intricate to explain in entirety (even in this post I feel like I might have given some wrong impressions), so often you'll get people telling you to just figure it out for yourself, since chances are you'll learn it much better that way.

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I'm finally planning to go to my first tourney after being on this site for 5 years. Don't know where one in my area is yet, but I'm going to stop being a shut-in and actually show up.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I thought you could sdi down and infront of her, regardless.
maybe, haven't tested it much. I know I can SDI out if I get hit from below her hands easy, but SDIing out of upthrow upsmash is hard as balls.

When I get my TV tonight I'll put it on my list of things to test

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
As a Zelda I get giddy when I watch it and her up smash got nerfed.
makes me really REALLY salty when you try to up b with toon link and she din fires
zelda is the gimp master, if you guys havent seen the reddit lately

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I'd like to defend the concept of having technical difficulty in Project M in general:
If there was less tech skill, wouldn't it then water down more and more to RPS (and knowing what is unsafe)? And wouldn't the decrease of messups lead to less variety in situations that can occur?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
maybe, haven't tested it much. I know I can SDI out if I get hit from below her hands easy, but SDIing out of upthrow upsmash is hard as balls.

When I get my TV tonight I'll put it on my list of things to test
I usually just start doing my sdi the moment I get hit and then tech the ground. Neutral reset.
wait no i misread that
wot

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Sometimes when I'm reviewing the profiles of people asking to join one of the Montreal Smash Facebook groups, I see they post stuff from 9gag or link to clickbait articles or play candy crush or some crap, and I heavily consider not letting them into the group.

Maybe I shouldn't have been given this responsibility, lmao.
So I just added "Person who's page is completely filled with furry stuff and who's profile pic is of them wearing a trenchcoat and bowler cap" to this list

For some reason I didn't think those people were actually real.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
I meant that being in the context of the hitbox being on his knee

But that works too
That's only on aerial Wiz Foot.
But yeah that's such a pain.

I'm still salty from that one time I came down on a Toon Link from above with Wiz Foot, got hit by his dair spike and died while he was unharmed.
**** that noise.

Top Bottom