• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The 50'' HDTV I use for Smash 4 (which I used for PM back when I didn't have no crt) is luckily part of a series of very low delay TVs made by LG. I think it's about ~2 frames of lag, obvi nowhere as good as monitors, but the transition from HDTV to crt was smooth af when I did it.

Also lmao Zero's ego been inflated to a point where he thinks people will get behind whatever he says. Tbh I respect the dude, but cmon

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Was playing smash 4 at school today.

6 people using 3ds one using the gamepad, me using the wii u pro

The wireless interference is ****ing real.

Bringing the GC adapter next week. **** wireless.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Was playing smash 4 at school today.

6 people using 3ds one using the gamepad, me using the wii u pro

The wireless interference is ****ing real.

Bringing the GC adapter next week. **** wireless.
What exactly goes wrong?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And this is why upscalers are godtier.

So you arent restricted to monitors. It's great investment.
I think you missed the part where I mentioned that upscalers cause lag. The very very best ones still cause 1 frame of lag on a 60 fps game, and you can't even really find those anywhere. Actually, I think you missed the entire point of my post, which was that even if the game was in NATIVE resolution it would still lag because most of the lag on HDTV's comes from post-processing, not from upscaling.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I think you missed the part where I mentioned that upscalers cause lag. The very very best ones still cause 1 frame of lag on a 60 fps game, and you can't even really find those anywhere. Actually, I think you missed the entire point of my post, which was that even if the game was in NATIVE resolution it would still lag because most of the lag on HDTV's comes from post-processing, not from upscaling.
Oh I misread. My bad.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
The 50'' HDTV I use for Smash 4 (which I used for PM back when I didn't have no crt) is luckily part of a series of very low delay TVs made by LG. I think it's about ~2 frames of lag, obvi nowhere as good as monitors, but the transition from HDTV to crt was smooth af when I did it.

Also lmao Zero's ego been inflated to a point where he thinks people will get behind whatever he says. Tbh I respect the dude, but cmon
IT's kinda hard to get to that status level and not develop some type of ego somewhere for most people LBSH.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
What exactly goes wrong?
At first I just thought I was scrubbing out.

I was getting hit by things I shouldn't of got hit by and I was thinking "WHAT, I BLOCKED THAT'
I just passed it off as me johning and just kept trying to play better.

I noticed my inputs were off, I was getting hit through my shield, my runs were wierd and everything in general was just bad.
Same thing though, I thought I was just playing bad, and just tried harder.

Then during one of the matches I started blocking just to make sure, and I noticed my shield was dropping on it's own. I was holding the button down but my input just dropped then repicked up again.

I saw it while running when I stopped running and just started walking

my attempted pivot tilts / fsmashes turned into dash attacks.

It was awful.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
IT's kinda hard to get to that status level and not develop some type of ego somewhere for most people LBSH.
True, true, specially considering all the endless hate he would get for a while before becoming quite popular.

But still..ban...diddy..like cmon

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I haven't really played too much Sm4sh but

can we talk about DK's down-b animation

because it's perfect

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
They should make down-b jump cancellable
like it is in Tropical freeze

and dash attack too
like it is in Tropical freeze

Tropical freeze confirmed more technical than smash

Vashimus

Smash Master
**** a lot of Smash 4's animations. It seems like Sakurai wanted to change the animations of some attacks to make them fresh, when really they just look super awkward.

Pikachu's F-Smash, Link's Uair, Lucario's everything, etc.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
So we are going to be stuck playing on outdated TVs that look awful? :\

damn. Really wish this issue was solved, because some people wont even play with you unless you have a giant, ugly CRT in the room.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
**** a lot of Smash 4's animations. It seems like Sakurai wanted to change the animations of some attacks to make them fresh, when really they just look super awkward.
Including DK's down-b, but it's okay that it looks super awkward because it's DK.

The Link uair though...

...yeah I don't know what they were thinking at all.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Yo some top players are crying and going ape crazy over Diddy Kong in Smash 4 on twitter (no pun intended) and supposing a ban and Leffen of all people is making sense.
More accurately, Zero proposed a ban and everybody (top players and randoms alike) is universally ****ting on him for it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So we are going to be stuck playing on outdated TVs that look awful? :\

damn. Really wish this issue was solved, because some people wont even play with you unless you have a giant, ugly CRT in the room.
No. First off, the lag on good HDTVs isn't *that* bad and will feel significantly better than playing a game that BOTH upscales and has post-processing. Secondly, we just play on monitors instead of CRTs. I just went to a tournament yesterday and all of our set-ups were wiiUs + monitors and it was great. Much easier to carry around than CRTs.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
He says it was a hypothetical ban now to cover his ass, but considering he was arguing about it in real life with top players I would say he was trying to start something that he is now backing off from because nobody gave him the positive response he was looking for.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
More accurately, Zero proposed a ban and everybody (top players and randoms alike) is universally ****ting on him for it.
Rightfully so.
He says it was a hypothetical ban now to cover his ***, but considering he was arguing about it in real life with top players I would say he was trying to start something that he is now backing off from because nobody gave him the positive response he was looking for.
It was probably salt talking and using his influence but didn't get nowhere.

It's also funny that he asked that we should ban a character not even a week in the Wii U version and he played the most busted smash character in smash history so much that folks have to make half a list of rules to deal to keep him at bay all the while robbing folks for 6 years.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Just bought a 6" binder stuffed with magic cards off a friend for 25$. Even with poopy 0.05$ cards, I should be able to get like 100$ off it.

We pawn stars now

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Diddy is that good in smash 4?

Jesus, someone show me a video or something where he decimates more than a brawl meta knight.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Diddy is that good in smash 4?

Jesus, someone show me a video or something where he decimates more than a brawl meta knight.
He just gets a free uthrow to uair followup that actually kills, unlike most followups in Smash 4. He doesn't even come close to Barwl MK, which is the hilarious part because Zero was perfectly okay with MK staying legal and even mained him.
best tweet
****in Kayb

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yooo, Samus' missile limit was removed @standardtoaster who fixed this? [This means you can spam missiles on Yoshi's side platform and none of them explode early now] Was this in the change log? She also seems easier to MW with

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
No. First off, the lag on good HDTVs isn't *that* bad and will feel significantly better than playing a game that BOTH upscales and has post-processing. Secondly, we just play on monitors instead of CRTs. I just went to a tournament yesterday and all of our set-ups were wiiUs + monitors and it was great. Much easier to carry around than CRTs.
I don't understand why monitors are optimal for this.

I want to assume they don't suffer the same problems that HDTV's do, but why is that?

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't understand why monitors are optimal for this.

I want to assume they don't suffer the same problems that HDTV's do, but why is that?
It's because monitors don't have post-processing, which is what makes HDTV's lag. Monitors are better in almost every way than TV's, and it's sad they don't make giant ones yet for reasonable prices.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It's because monitors don't have post-processing, which is what makes HDTV's lag. Monitors are better in almost every way than TV's, and it's sad they don't make giant ones yet for reasonable prices.
Ok, now I don't mean to pester, but does post processing benefit actual television watching or something?

Is there any benefit at all to having post processing?

---------

Holy ****, 30 inch monitors are ****ing expensive.
WHY IS THIS A THING.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok, now I don't mean to pester, but does post processing benefit actual television watching or something?

Is there any benefit at all to having post processing?

---------

Holy ****, 30 inch monitors are ****ing expensive.
WHY IS THIS A THING.
Post-Processing basically takes the input from the device and enhances the colors in various ways to make it look better, and then outputs the new image to the TV. Different TV's will post-process things in different ways leading to more or less lag, also the option for post processing in games is often different and commonly refers to things like depth of field and bloom. So yeah, a HDTV will make HD movies looks better with richer colors and such, but the difference is negligible for a lot of people, especially for gaming.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Who were the people who wanted to Wifi? I got some free time now

@ Warsaint777 Warsaint777 @PMS | Kailex @ Lizalfos Lizalfos

oh my bad spidermad i'll fight you sometime soon. gimme yo digits boo

anyway idk this is frustrating @ Hylian Hylian because I seriously feel like I'm not good with any lag whatsoever and when there isn't any I'm so, so good. Like I know that's like a big "duh" but like. Ugh. I don't like that it's like supposed to be expected, like I don't want to have to get used to it or adapt to it.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad I play like every other weekend, cause until I get around to making my Wii USB load I just have a WiiU. When I go to my Dad's place for the weekend I have a working Wii (he got a used one for my birthday, he da real MVP).

This is why I didn't play 3.5 with a GC controller until the past weekend and also the reason I was hype for subspace (cause I don't need perfect tech)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
oh my bad spidermad i'll fight you sometime soon. gimme yo digits boo

anyway idk this is frustrating @ Hylian Hylian because I seriously feel like I'm not good with any lag whatsoever and when there isn't any I'm so, so good. Like I know that's like a big "duh" but like. Ugh. I don't like that it's like supposed to be expected, like I don't want to have to get used to it or adapt to it.
Just play on monitors or CRTs and you'll be fine. Most tournaments will just have monitors there as that is the FGC standard. On some HDTVs the game mode is good enough to where you probably won't even notice the difference when switching since you can forgo the image scaling. BenQ does actually make TV's and they are pushing things like gaming monitors pretty hard, so I imagine they will be the first to make a gaming TV that is really just a huge monitor.

Top Bottom