• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Roster Reveal - Roy!

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
I've got an -On topic- question.

Say I have some arrogant, close minded -scrub- friends who take one look at Roy and conclude that there's no point in including him because he's simply a copy paste replica of Marth. I could explain the differences to someone with a working knowledge of the game but unfortunately these guys are as stupid as they are real.

Main point: How do I convince those ignorant fools that this Roy is a very different beast than Marth? What's my main argument and point to justify my claims?

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I wouldn't get hyped for new characters other than Roy just yet guys.

It's been like a year and change maybe since I've last gotten any info on it, but as of back then the Clone Engine was still 1 character per game and no articles on that character.

Maybe things have changed, but Roy is all we're getting if the clone engine didn't overcome these hurdles. Articles are resolvable with enough work (clone Ike -> anyone proved that) but afaik 1 character per game limit is still an issue unless they were able to force B button on Alloys or something.
Don't mess with the hype, party pooper.

In all seriousness though, I think you have a point. I know from experience that articles cause some massive headaches. However, nobody thought the clone engine was even going to happen at all. the PMBR has just amazed us, there's no reason they can't amaze us again.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I don't get that, he's legitimately a more interesting version of Sonic in terms of a fighting game, Sonic is rather bland because all he has is ball attacks, Shadow's got all these crazy chaos moves, chaos spear, lance, blast, control, etc, and jet shoes burn baby burn, disco inferno!

I think he uses vehicles too, seen that before, idk I haven't been into sonic since Sonic Adventure 2

It was mostly a suggestion due to his immense popularity

Doesn't matter though it's up the the PMBR, unless they make a poll....
I give Sonic a pass since he's so iconic and has a decent amount of his Sonic Battle moves, which I love. I honestly think he should have a more iconic moveset (which he's totally capable of), but it's what it is. Shadow would be tougher to do like that since he's not as classic as Sonic is. My main gripe with the Shadow PSAs is that his powers are really straightforward; Chaos Spear is like Pit's arrows, but faster/unable to be aimed; Chaos Control is just like Teleport; Chaos Blast is just an area move, etc. What's his catch?

There was instances of that in what are considered pretty bad Sonic games; Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06. We don't talk about those. haha

I don't blame you, honestly. If there were 2-3x more resources for P:M to put things together, why not? I just don't want a spot to be used over something better. I honestly hope they run some polls, but I sincerely doubt it.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer

Say I have some arrogant, close minded -scrub- friends who take one look at Roy and conclude that there's no point in including him because he's simply a copy paste replica of Marth. I could explain the differences to someone with a working knowledge of the game but unfortunately these guys are as stupid as they are real.

Main point: How do I convince those ignorant fools that this Roy is a very different beast than Marth? What's my main argument and point to justify my claims?
The dude has FIRE yo

Nguz95

Smash Lord

Talk about his fast-fall and his sword system. Also talk about how they changed him a lot for PM. Focus on the dancing blade and the new aerials.
If that doesn't work, tell them that Roy comes from a superior Fire Emblem game lol.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Don't mess with the hype, party pooper.

In all seriousness though, I think you have a point. I know from experience that articles cause some massive headaches. However, nobody thought the clone engine was even going to happen at all. the PMBR has just amazed us, there's no reason they can't amaze us again.
That, and the guy that made the recent videos, including the Roy one, told me that they are indeed planning on several. They're confident in that, so why shouldn't we be, too?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
If this is a problem, it would be best to keep any newcomers to SSB4 out of Project M, as that would make it compete with a new Smash Bros, I doubt Nintendo would be happy about that
Bingo, the PMBR can't be competing with Smash 4 in any form (Licensed Content-wise) if they wish to stay in a relevantly safe position. Roy is a character one could consider to be safe for addition. His appearance is based upon the rounds he made in Melee, and it seems his new costumes merely give him a purple alt., and one based upon his design in Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals. If he were to be designed in a way that gave him a Awakening Style appearance, that would be pushing it. As long as the licensed properties used within Project M are from the post Brawl release era and earlier, with the exception of a few subtle nods to newer additions here and there, I can't see Nintendo, HAL, and co. really having any beef with development.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
There's still a question mark icon on the characters page on the site, and I don't think they'd bring out the clone engine with a limit of one character. You said it yourself, it's been over a year of secrecy and work. They wouldn't be debuting it unless it was perfect.

And if it was one character only, would they really pick a clone (Roy) over a more unique and popular character (Mewtwo)? I'd rather have Roy back because of my personal playstyle preferences, but in terms of game balance, Mewtwo would be a much better choice as the lone addition.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Roy has different physics than Marth and his moves give him a completely different gameplay from Marth. Not to mention that he is decloned from Marth in Project M, reducing his argument's validity.

Roy has more focus on launchers to Juggles than Marth for example.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I wouldn't get hyped for new characters other than Roy just yet guys.

It's been like a year and change maybe since I've last gotten any info on it, but as of back then the Clone Engine was still 1 character per game and no articles on that character.

Maybe things have changed, but Roy is all we're getting if the clone engine didn't overcome these hurdles. Articles are resolvable with enough work (clone Ike -> anyone proved that) but afaik 1 character per game limit is still an issue unless they were able to force B button on Alloys or something.
So the clone engine may be limited to a single slot?

If only one character comes back I'm glad it's Roy, he's the ****
There's still a question mark icon on the characters page on the site.
It's the game's random character select that takes you to a random page, I think people read too much into it.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So the clone engine may be limited to a single slot?

If only one character comes back I'm glad it's Roy, he's the ****.
As I said, it's already confirmed that we'll have multiple clone characters. We don't know that they'll have any articles, necessarily, but that much is confirmed for sure. I could try and get a screenshot if you guys want.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
As I said, it's already confirmed that we'll have multiple clone characters. We don't know that they'll have any articles, necessarily, but that much is confirmed for sure. I could try and get a screenshot if you guys want.
Do this and you get a kiss.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice

i don't know what your definition of "scrub" is, because you haven't mentioned them doing anything remotely scrubby. Regardless, I don't think Roy is significantly different, though he has a couple minor changes that makes him worse than Marth by quite a bit (unless you're good at SHFFLing). For Project M, I haven't played it, so I cannot make an assessment about this Roy.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
I feel like I'm in a Q&A with a senator, giving me just enough information to answer the question but just little enough information to not satiate my unjustifiable thirst for Roy knowledge:)

Next question: Why Roy? Was he the easiest or is there another reason?

Don't get me wrong. I think Roy is the best thing that's happened since I heard there was a game where snake could wavedash, I'm simply curious:)

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
i don't know what your definition of "scrub" is, because you haven't mentioned them doing anything remotely scrubby. Regardless, I don't think Roy is significantly different, though he has a couple minor changes that makes him worse than Marth by quite a bit (unless you're good at SHFFLing). For Project M, I haven't played it, so I cannot make an assessment about this Roy.

Sorry for the double post, Scrubs - People who refuse to L-cancel because it's "Useless".

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
The word "scrub" has often confused me. The definition I heard the most is that it's someone who derides other methods as cheap or cheating. But there were many times where an overpowered or cheap character gets called a "scrub character". Those seem like two completely different things.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
I feel like there's a ton of discrepancies when defining slightly abstract concepts, especially in the smash community. I swear I've heard 3 different definitions of what a tier is, 2 different ideas of what a scrub is. 5 different definitions of what edge guarding is. I swear we need an official terminology sticky. I know that would've helped me out when I was but a mere lurker.

Roy related: I love Roy.

imontopic

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Just saying though, I'm only a small part of the team. There are many people who were involved, including Shadic who did most of the coding., Kizzu-Kun, Jiang, Sethlon, Thany, Silentdoom, Pik, and way more. It was a team effort.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I feel like I'm in a Q&A with a senator, giving me just enough information to answer the question but just little enough information to not satiate my unjustifiable thirst for Roy knowledge:)
Vote for Alakadoof.

Next question: Why Roy? Was he the easiest or is there another reason?
It's important to recognize that obviously Roy shares a basic skeleton as Marth, which simplifies development for him exponentially. I've seen a lot of character suggestions, assumptions, and requests fly around that don't realize that making a character is more than just making a model and a tweaking some values - There's a couple hundred animations that need to be made... Which doesn't seem to be considered by most.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Do this and you get a kiss.
Please do!
I realized after reading it a few times over just now that I might have been a little too giddy about this back-and-forth, but his answer could still mean something. I might message the guy for a follow-up if you want.

So, uh, sorry. I got too excited when asking to read into my phrasing well enough.

EDIT: I messaged the guy here after finding his username on the YouTube video description. I just clarified what all went on here, so hopefully he answers the question I meant to ask; can't guarantee, of course. I feel pretty bad about that. haha I didn't mean to lead you guys on. Hopefully I can fix it.

Attachments

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
I am soooo HYPED that they figured out the character cloning engine. So many possibilities! Here are my thoughts on melee vets returning:

Roy: I heard that Roy is no longer a clone of Marth which got me really excited. I am glad that PMBR made a good effort on making him different on his own rather than "Its just Roy but better." It makes it more hype. He is a great choice since he is a fan favorite. It's good to see Roy no longer being trash. Plus he looks so cool to play as. I'll try him out when he gets released.

Mewtwo: A good question is why would they not add him. Out of all the characters that have been removed from melee, Mewtwo is the most unique because of the obvious fact that he isn't a clone of anybody. I am really curious how he will turn out in project M. We still got Nguz95's Mewtwo until he gets his time to shine and crush everyone >:). He is my favorite Smash bros character of all time after all. I could already see me maining Mewtwo in PM.

Dr. Mario: I am sure this has been said a lot already but he can easily be a costume for mario. I think Mario and Dr.Mario are sandwiched in project M anyways. He can't really be a character on his own because he doesn't have anything creative to make up a move set for him. So I say NO to Dr. Mario returning! I would like a costume though.

Pichu: Ahhh..... the joke character. If Pichu had a completely different move set, then I would be fine with his return. In fact, I could see him being one of the most unique characters in the roster. He could be a High Risk/High Reward character. He still hurts himself but his B moves are really good or something like that.

Slashy

Smash Lord
The announcer is made to seamlessly fit in the game, yep.
This probably means they're using the request list he did, which means there are only a few newcomers possible anyway.

You won't be getting Shadow, Geno, or Cloud because there aren't any announcer calls for them.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Oh, damn, they all had such high chances of being added to Project M before this tiny detail ruined it =/
Hahahaha

Plan A

Side Note: What about the announcer, can you tell us anything about what we might hear? We gonna port from Melee or ... ? Also - The chant? What about that too.
That was what I was bringing up earlier about the limitations as to which characters the PMBR picks if they decide to add newcomers. Roy and Mewtwo along with several other characters have announcer calls already.

Rick Rockmann

Smash Cadet
Be honest - how many of Ike's 2.5-and-later changes were made because he needed to be differentiated from Roy?
Blue Eruption makes so much more sense now.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hopefully this discovered clone engine is improved more and more as time goes on.

While 2 or 3 newcomers that are clone (ish) are nice, let's just say that getting greedy with a roster size expansion is never a bad thing! :shades:

Top Bottom