• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Netplay

That guy21

Smash Rookie
I recently found out about the dolphin emulator and it's netplay capabilities and had a few questions. Is there a lot of input lag compared to playing offline? (In your opinion is it playable?) Also, are there any other better alternatives to being able to play project M online now that WFC has been removed? Thanks.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
@ Y-L Y-L could probably tell you about Dolphin.

(Now to wait for him to see that he has been tagged in a post)

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I recently found out about the dolphin emulator and it's netplay capabilities and had a few questions. Is there a lot of input lag compared to playing offline? (In your opinion is it playable?) Also, are there any other better alternatives to being able to play project M online now that WFC has been removed? Thanks.
Netplay (depending on where the person you're playing against is) will have very small input lag, especially compared to Wifi. You use a buffer system, and each buffer is half of a frame. The input lag is 1-4 frames (2-8 buffer) again depending on the location of the person you're playing is. You generally want to play people in your region (i.e. west coast east coast midwest). It is definitely playable, even with 4 frames of delay and that's still less than Wifi. Netplay is currently the best way to play online as it is a player to player connection and is not through any third party server. If you're interested check out the link in my siggy.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Netplay (depending on where the person you're playing against is) will have very small input lag, especially compared to Wifi. The input lag is 2-8 frames again depending on the location of the person you're playing is. You generally want to play people in your region (i.e. west coast east coast midwest). It is definitely playable, even with 8 frames of delay and that's still less than Wifi. Netplay is currently the best way to play online as it is a player to player connection and is not through any third party server. If you're interested check out the link in my siggy.
Wouldn't you need like 16 buffer to get 8 frames worth of lag? I remember someone telling me that each buffer was close to about half a frame of lag. If this is true you wouldn't have to worry about 8 frames of lag because the buffer is usually between 2 and 10.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Wouldn't you need like 16 buffer to get 8 frames worth of lag? I remember someone telling me that each buffer was close to about half a frame of lag. If this is true you wouldn't have to worry about 8 frames of lag because the buffer is usually between 2 and 10.
Actually I believe you are correct I believe 1 buffer = .5 frame, sorry.

Top Bottom