• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Codex Re-Build [PREVIEW] - In 3.6 Works Edition [JULY 5th UPDATE]

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
Btw, m2k said on his Facebook that cbliss will be coming shortly after 3.6 drops
M2K says a lot of things

Joke joke, I assume you meant Mewtwo2000? Which is good in either case because I have it planned out in both situations.

Last edited:

Hedgie

Smash Apprentice
I'm really hoping Project M 3.6 is gonna have more slots

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

Wanted to make this post for a while now but here we go at 1am in the morning and I got 6 or so hours til I get up for work! BUT IN ANY CASE I WANTED TO WRITE THIS UP.

Firstly, I shall wait for CBliss update in that case, what you'll notice when you compare these to the front Mario page is that the pose is much more different, I kept trying to change the pose til I got it perfect, every time I see or look at the way Smash 3 sets up renders, they are posed perfectly well and not additional tricks added.

I was too fixated on trying to make them look good I wasn't realizing that even focusing on the little things like feet on floor, if the actual 3D pose from all views look right from different angles (One trick is to picture the model as a trophy, I think that's vital in all of this believe it or not), to those who are aspiring to be renderers, you should note that these little things actually make a huge difference, same with my post on the lighting, I re-did the lighting for Link and it came out much MUCH better than before.

Anyway, let's get into the meat of all this.

MARIO:

Color Safe CSPs:

BPs:

Icons:

With Mario, you'll notice "Color Safe CSPs", this is more of an optional idea I had, in the previous post I called it Tourney safe, but I imagine that would confuse people in the point I'm trying to make, essentially and I use Smash 4 Mario as an example, all and I mean ALL of the costumes have different color pallets, in what I mean is that, you'll see that Ice Mario and Fire Mario have a matching red colors, the optional idea will be an optional choice to go over if people find that too many of the same color will crossover too much.

And additional point I want to make is that I remember Ondo pointing out in the visual thread that the top for some CSPs are cut, this time around I shall be working to make sure as best as I can (some cases not possible, but I will do my best!) make sure the CSPs don't cut off at the top, like Dr Mario for example I fixed, you can make the comparison to the first page if you wish!

I will also add I won't do requests for CSPs, these optional choices are rough ideas that run in my head when trying to think about all this, not only that with Icons being worked it's takes a lot of time for all of this to come together, at the least, not anytime soon!

Before I get into talking about icons, I shall give a mini update on BPs, not many may notice, but my old methods would be re-sizing some of the CSPs to fit for BPs, this time I shall be re-sizing the renders which will (obviously haha) produce higher quality BPs, even a little.

Moving onto my next point, ICONS, before I never cared much about working on Icons, it was something that I'd plan if it came to it in the future, but with 3.6 on the horizon doing this, I decided to dip my hand into Icon making, and funny thing is that it takes more time working on them then I would with CSPs and BPs, mainly because I'm trying to keep the original quality as best and consistent as possible rather than recoloring them all (That's right, they're all actually shrunken down renders, only color edits would be Dr Mario because to point out what color which).

Oh, another thing I did was clean up on Dr Mario's pose/model for the render, if you compare to front page Dr Mario, I thinned him down a little in regards to the coat, just so he stands out better, I hope I did it justice! I also made Smash 4 brawlish color variations of him because I wanted to give this build a new feelgood vibe... if... that makes sense? In any case! Moving on and I hope you like!

LINK:

BPs:

Icons:

I think I've established as many points as I can, but let's talk some Links here, someone is totally going to ask, "Oh if Mario has color safe CSPs why not Link?" Well, there's two sides on this, firstly I agree to anyone who will say three green links man, but secondly I'm leaning more onto the side of Well, in PM OOT Link and Default Link are two different models and I will apply this onto HW Link, because in game he looks very different, specially with the scarf and well... everything.

Another fun fact about the HW Link's is that IWG's version is actually lagless in area's, I know I keep bringing up this point, but the fact you have a model from a Wii U game imported, optimised and running at perfect speed with little to no problems is mindblowing to me in the fact it takes a lot of time and craft to put that together, just a lesson to anyone who mods to note these things down! If not I'm probably getting too caught up in typing haha!

I more or less wanted to balance out the costumes for Link, color wise so I went with doing a mix and match on costumes, hopefully I did it in a way people will like!

I think I spoke more than I should have, people will probably ask for a link (no pun intended) to these ones above, but I assure you, the wait til when this build (eventually ;_: ) finishes shall pay off really well I hope! These will also include compressed CSPs so they all retain the same quality as the default CSPs (PM compresses CSPs to keep file size at the right limit, that said, there's a way around this that works extremely well for all this!)

Okay, it's now half 1 in the morning since I said it was 1 haha and I shall sleep, 30 mins typing record!

Moral of the story: Every little detail counts! No matter how small all!

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Wanted to make this post for a while now but here we go at 1am in the morning and I got 6 or so hours til I get up for work! BUT IN ANY CASE I WANTED TO WRITE THIS UP.

Firstly, I shall wait for CBliss update in that case, what you'll notice when you compare these to the front Mario page is that the pose is much more different, I kept trying to change the pose til I got it perfect, every time I see or look at the way Smash 3 sets up renders, they are posed perfectly well and not additional tricks added.

I was too fixated on trying to make them look good I wasn't realizing that even focusing on the little things like feet on floor, if the actual 3D pose from all views look right from different angles (One trick is to picture the model as a trophy, I think that's vital in all of this believe it or not), to those who are aspiring to be renderers, you should note that these little things actually make a huge difference, same with my post on the lighting, I re-did the lighting for Link and it came out much MUCH better than before.

MARIO:

Color Safe CSPs:

BPs:

Icons:

With Mario, you'll notice "Color Safe CSPs", this is more of an optional idea I had, in the previous post I called it Tourney safe, but I imagine that would confuse people in the point I'm trying to make, essentially and I use Smash 4 Mario as an example, all and I mean ALL of the costumes have different color pallets, in what I mean is that, you'll see that Ice Mario and Fire Mario have a matching red colors, the optional idea will be an optional choice to go over if people find that too many of the same color will crossover too much.

And additional point I want to make is that I remember Ondo pointing out in the visual thread that the top for some CSPs are cut, this time around I shall be working to make sure as best as I can (some cases not possible, but I will do my best!) make sure the CSPs don't cut off at the top, like Dr Mario for example I fixed, you can make the comparison to the first page if you wish!

I will also add I won't do requests for CSPs, these optional choices are rough ideas that run in my head when trying to think about all this, not only that with Icons being worked it's takes a lot of time for all of this to come together, at the least, not anytime soon!

Before I get into talking about icons, I shall give a mini update on BPs, not many may notice, but my old methods would be re-sizing some of the CSPs to fit for BPs, this time I shall be re-sizing the renders which will (obviously haha) produce higher quality BPs, even a little.

Moving onto my next point, ICONS, before I never cared much about working on Icons, it was something that I'd plan if it came to it in the future, but with 3.6 on the horizon doing this, I decided to dip my hand into Icon making, and funny thing is that it takes more time working on them then I would with CSPs and BPs, mainly because I'm trying to keep the original quality as best and consistent as possible rather than recoloring them all (That's right, they're all actually shrunken down renders, only color edits would be Dr Mario because to point out what color which).

Oh, another thing I did was clean up on Dr Mario's pose/model for the render, if you compare to front page Dr Mario, I thinned him down a little in regards to the coat, just so he stands out better, I hope I did it justice! I also made Smash 4 brawlish color variations of him because I wanted to give this build a new feelgood vibe... if... that makes sense? In any case! Moving on and I hope you like!

LINK:

BPs:

Icons:

I think I've established as many points as I can, but let's talk some Links here, someone is totally going to ask, "Oh if Mario has color safe CSPs why not Link?" Well, there's two sides on this, firstly I agree to anyone who will say three green links man, but secondly I'm leaning more onto the side of Well, in PM OOT Link and Default Link are two different models and I will apply this onto HW Link, because in game he looks very different, specially with the scarf and well... everything.

Another fun fact about the HW Link's is that IWG's version is actually lagless in area's, I know I keep bringing up this point, but the fact you have a model from a Wii U game imported, optimised and running at perfect speed with little to no problems is mindblowing to me in the fact it takes a lot of time and craft to put that together, just a lesson to anyone who mods to note these things down! If not I'm probably getting too caught up in typing haha!

I more or less wanted to balance out the costumes for Link, color wise so I went with doing a mix and match on costumes, hopefully I did it in a way people will like!

I think I spoke more than I should have, people will probably ask for a link (no pun intended) to these ones above, but I assure you, the wait til when this build (eventually ;_: ) finishes shall pay off really well I hope! These will also include compressed CSPs so they all retain the same quality as the default CSPs (PM compresses CSPs to keep file size at the right limit, that said, there's a way around this that works extremely well for all this!)

Okay, it's now half 1 in the morning since I said it was 1 haha and I shall sleep, 30 mins typing record!

Nice! BTW is every character going to have color safe CSPs?

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Oh no, it'll depend on the costume, for example I just mentioned that Link doesn't for various reasons haha, I couldn't possibly answer that haha!
Oh. I think sonic should, he has like 3 purple costumes, so i think they should be costume safe.

Gripes.

Smash Cadet
Those new CSPs gave me a wallop!
The lighting is amazing! You're really mastering the craft of CSP rendering. Great job, Codex!

MFMAXY

Smash Apprentice

MARIO:

Color Safe CSPs:

BPs:

Icons:

LINK:

BPs:

Icons:

EROTIC

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
THEY... LOOK... SO... ( foul language)... GOOD!!!!! The lighting is amazing. Colors are vibrant. Great job as always Codex.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

SPEED UPDATE TIME BECAUSE WORK LIFE CALLS FOR ME:

SAMUS

CSPs:

BPs:

Icons:

Today is Samus update, I had all of Samus's costumes in a folder way back when I was travelling around the vault back through every page, so luckily gathering them wasn't a problem.

However I assume people will ask what happened to the Smash 4 Pose, in the past I could never get her to work/match right because of her model, in fact, looking back now I said some really silly things/claims that just don't work.

So I'm using a slightly different version of the remastered Samus (in case people compare, similar pose, but I made to fit the build a bit more) And I'm also using the PM pose for the alt costumes, mainly for consistency reasons and that the pose works best for these kind of costumes I think.

Also a fun thing to note, well not really fun but the Icons take the longest time to make! Or in my experience that is, even more so with multiple models, I also wanted to make a balance of the 14 so I put 7 alts and 7 recolors, I kept specific colors for reference reasons, Green, Pink and Purple all reference to previous smash and Metroid games and I wanted to balance as much colors as possible!

Hopefully you all will like and with that I shall sleep for this speedy update!

EDIT: A couple of another points!

Smash 4 Samus will be replaced with the new one IWG is currently working on in case people ask! Same with Dark Suit Samus when 3.6 hits (Iirc, PMs one will have a different cannon so we'll see)

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Awesome selection codex.
I love how youve included so many different suits.

Small nitpick though, ive always wanted samus to only ahve suits / colours from her game, the Red green and Blue team ones just stick out to me as ...wrong.

Any chance of keeping pink (or default orange) as red team.
Then sticking in the MP2 Multiplayer Green and Blue suits?

MagicManNo9

Awesome selection codex.
I love how youve included so many different suits.

Small nitpick though, ive always wanted samus to only ahve suits / colours from her game, the Red green and Blue team ones just stick out to me as ...wrong.

Any chance of keeping pink (or default orange) as red team.
Then sticking in the MP2 Multiplayer Green and Blue suits?
Thanks! Though the blue suit you're referring to was reference to the fusion suit, which is included and that current blue one is from PM, which is why I kept it, that and it's actually in Smash 4 as a reference to dark Samus.

As for red, I could switch that and the pink one around if more people would like that!

And as for green, I never used MP2 Green because the one on the vault didn't look right, mainly because of the style it was made in.

Narpas_sword

Thanks! Though the blue suit you're referring to was reference to the fusion suit, which is included and that current blue one is from PM, which is why I kept it, that and it's actually in Smash 4 as a reference to dark Samus.

As for red, I could switch that and the pink one around if more people would like that!

And as for green, I never used MP2 Green because the one on the vault didn't look right, mainly because of the style it was made in.
id like red replaced with a different suit from a game =p (and the pink used as team)

the blue im wanting is the echoes multiplayer one, i find the dark samus recolour a bit meh. (would rather see a dark samus model, it's also too blue, dark samus is mostly black with glowing blue phazon)

Obskore

Smash Ace
is the lack of shines and reflections intentional with the Samus update?
and i also see that in the Other M alt, the arm cannon is tilted slightly different than the rest of the CSPs

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about having 2 varia suits and 2 power suits. That seems like a pretty hellish 4 player match.

That PED Samus, is that an import? I had one in a build of mine and removed it because it was bigger(or was it smaller) than all the other Samus models, so I'm curious to know.

Narpas_sword

That PED Samus, is that an import? I had one in a build of mine and removed it because it was bigger(or was it smaller) than all the other Samus models, so I'm curious to know.
if it's @Nanobuds one, the samus is the right size, but the morphball is larger, iirc.

also @ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9
you should swap the fusion and ped suit around so the 3 prime suits are together =p

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

id like red replaced with a different suit from a game =p (and the pink used as team)

the blue im wanting is the echoes multiplayer one, i find the dark samus recolour a bit meh. (would rather see a dark samus model, it's also too blue, dark samus is mostly black with glowing blue phazon)

I'm not going to use those costume because I'm trying to balance out 7 costumes each, and that model is what the brawl model is based on.

I'm not also going to use the dark samus model, mainly because that dark samus is an entirely different character. Even if you find the dark samus "meh" I like it and others do as well from my understanding, I don't want to take out any PM costumes unless I really need to.

These are so good. Just amazing.
Thank you!

I don't know about having 2 varia suits and 2 power suits. That seems like a pretty hellish 4 player match.
Yeah, it feels really out of place when I tested them in game, mainly because Brawl Samus is based on this specific model.

is the lack of shines and reflections intentional with the Samus update?
and i also see that in the Other M alt, the arm cannon is tilted slightly different than the rest of the CSPs
Intentionalish... it was originally made to match up with the PM alts so I can keep it consistent if that's the right word, also yeah, I noticed the arm Cannon and shall be fixing that when the new one is released!

I thought i was seeing it different than everyone else.
Same, it was using the same settings as the remastered CSPs I did and no one mentioned anything of those haha.

It's an import I do believe.

King Dedede will get Masked Dedede costumes right?
We'll see, I need to revist Dedede at the vault!

if it's @Nanobuds one, the samus is the right size, but the morphball is larger, iirc.

also @ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9
you should swap the fusion and ped suit around so the 3 prime suits are together =p
I shall do a switch around with the CSPs close to the date then!

SOMEWHAT ANGRY (APOLOGIES IF SOUNDS ANGRY RATHER) UPDATE:

People, I'm just throwing it out there that a lot of these decisions are final and I won't be changing them, I feel people are misunderstanding and assuming I'll take everything into consideration but at this point in time it takes too long to change anything when I get to this point, hours upon hours to days of work which is why I try and take great care in picking out everything.

I can understand people saying "Oh, what about this! or that or I don't thing!" And honestly, you need to understand that it takes a while putting this all together and there's a clear reason to why I've not added X costume in, I've looked at every page in the vault for every character before I work on them, I gather them, set them up in a folder, pose, take a insane amount of notes down, import, set up rendering, render, re-render, rendering for Icons, placing into BPs and CSPs, and now Icons included for each character, and whilst some things I can take into account (Like Other M Samus arm tilt) most of 'You should add costume in because I like it rather than costume X!' isn't something I'm not going to keep sitting down on, I picked out 7 colors for Samus that I felt was best, not because they looked cool, keeping specific ones into account because they're a reference something, and another 7 because I wanted to balance it out.

What I'm more or less trying to say is that decisions at this point are final so I'm probably not going to change costumes because I don't have time and I know I can't please everyone, I'm trying to work with what I think is best, I do apologies again and again if that sounds upfront but it's a reoccurring pattern at this point I'm noticing and I feel people should understand how much time it takes for all this (that and again, I'm working on so many projects)

Gripes.

Smash Cadet

People, I'm just throwing it out there that a lot of these decisions are final and I won't be changing them, I feel people are misunderstanding and assuming I'll take everything into consideration but at this point in time it takes too long to change anything when I get to this point, hours upon hours to days of work which is why I try and take great care in picking out everything.

I can understand people saying "Oh, what about this! or that or I don't thing!" And honestly, you need to understand that it takes a while putting this all together and there's a clear reason to why I've not added X costume in, I've looked at every page in the vault for every character before I work on them, I gather them, set them up in a folder, pose, take a insane amount of notes down, import, set up rendering, render, re-render, rendering for Icons, placing into BPs and CSPs, and now Icons included for each character, and whilst some things I can take into account (Like Other M Samus arm tilt) most of 'You should add costume in because I like it rather than costume X!' isn't something I'm not going to keep sitting down on, I picked out 7 colors for Samus that I felt was best, not because they looked cool, keeping specific ones into account because they're a reference something, and another 7 because I wanted to balance it out.

What I'm more or less trying to say is that decisions at this point are final so I'm probably not going to change costumes because I don't have time and I know I can't please everyone, I'm trying to work with what I think is best, I do apologies again and again if that sounds upfront but it's a reoccurring pattern at this point I'm noticing and I feel people should understand how much time it takes for all this (that and again, I'm working on so many projects)
I saw this coming. But good that you said something yourself then having other say it for you.
And yes, Ive tried making CSPs for myself and it phlucking sucks. I cant believe people like you and SJS
having the ability to make one of these, shade it, color, etc. You guys are pretty amazing and patient for doing these kinds of things. I did it once with Ganon and took me like a week and a half! And I was not even pleased with the final result!

So yeah I think you have a bit of a right to get a bit upset. Even if you deny it, I know it to be true because I feel your anger....its makes you stronger! It gives you focus!

You will be the most powerful CSP maker in the world!

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
HAY M8 ADs A SHaD0W CASTUM THX
lol jk
Anyways, those freaking samus csps man.. Now im roadkill. Your csps are like my drug.

Last edited:

ToonKake

So Animated
NNID
ToOn_Cake
I'm not going to use those costume because I'm trying to balance out 7 costumes each, and that model is what the brawl model is based on.

I'm not also going to use the dark samus model, mainly because that dark samus is an entirely different character. Even if you find the dark samus "meh" I like it and others do as well from my understanding, I don't want to take out any PM costumes unless I really need to.

Thank you!

Yeah, it feels really out of place when I tested them in game, mainly because Brawl Samus is based on this specific model.

Intentionalish... it was originally made to match up with the PM alts so I can keep it consistent if that's the right word, also yeah, I noticed the arm Cannon and shall be fixing that when the new one is released!

Same, it was using the same settings as the remastered CSPs I did and no one mentioned anything of those haha.

It's an import I do believe.

We'll see, I need to revist Dedede at the vault!

I shall do a switch around with the CSPs close to the date then!

Codex is like Sakurai now LOL Dis is the prime example of what he deals with on a day to day basis with the smash community LOL !!

Last edited:

SuperSonic1022

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperSonic1022
3DS FC
0361-9444-4760
King Dedede will get Masked Dedede costumes right?
Dedede is a char I intend on using as one of my MANY MANY secondaries and masked Dedede would be GODLIKE, P.S.: Shogun Dedede is pretty ****ing cool too if you ask me...

shadowcontroller

Smash Apprentice
Haven't been around for a lot of time (too much work)... Man, this just gets better and better, thank you for your hard work, EVERYTHING (I mean it) looks impressive.

DocStrange

Smash Apprentice
Quick Link question: if you're using the Skyloft costume, why also use the sm4sh Skyloft color instead of, say the fierce deity color?

UberAndrew

Smash Cadet
I know you already have all your Mario slots filled, but may I suggest some colors anyways? It'd be pretty cool to see classic Mario (red overalls and blue shirt) and Super Mario Bros in-game sprite (orange overalls and brown shirt) colors. Maybe also a matching classic color scheme for Luigi (green overalls and blue shirt)?

Colors from a characters actual own history and appearances are so much more interesting than colors of other characters already in game like Luigi and Wario.

And have you also considered replacing one of Dr. Mario's extra color with that cool Delfino outfit Mario that's around? Every character has so many cool alternate costume, it'd be a shame if Mario only got one with extra colors.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I know you already have all your Mario slots filled, but may I suggest some colors anyways? It'd be pretty cool to see classic Mario (red overalls and blue shirt) and Super Mario Bros in-game sprite (orange overalls and brown shirt) colors. Maybe also a matching classic color scheme for Luigi (green overalls and blue shirt)?

Colors from a characters actual own history and appearances are so much more interesting than colors of other characters already in game like Luigi and Wario.

And have you also considered replacing one of Dr. Mario's extra color with that cool Delfino outfit Mario that's around? Every character has so many cool alternate costume, it'd be a shame if Mario only got one with extra colors.

Top Bottom