• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Codex Re-Build [PREVIEW] - In 3.6 Works Edition [JULY 5th UPDATE]

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo2000 has a workaround for that issue. No clue what it is tho.
"The problem will come with the battle portraits, though, numbers higher than 10 will make characters show a wrong portrait and name in battle, unless you use some trick I'll also release soon." -taken from comment on youtube

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
This is actually a really good question. I knew that characters BPs (and slot numbers overall) have space for up to ten pictures. Like how Donkey Kong's "ID" are numbers range from 11 through 20....
So how are 14 BPs going to work out if adding 21, 22, 23 and 24 would invade Link's slot numbers?
There's probably some magic coding involved that utilizes extra slots in the sc_selcharacter.pac, the way BrawlEx does. I could be very, very wrong though.

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
This is actually a really good question. I knew that characters BPs (and slot numbers overall) have space for up to ten pictures. Like how Donkey Kong's "ID" are numbers range from 11 through 20....
So how are 14 BPs going to work out if adding 21, 22, 23 and 24 would invade Link's slot numbers?
Oh yeah, I was thinking about that as I was looking through the BPs, I wonder if it'll re-structure the BPs or possible add them at the end and reorganize them, this getting me really curious now haha!

MagicManNo9

Mewtwo2000 has a workaround for that issue. No clue what it is tho.
"The problem will come with the battle portraits, though, numbers higher than 10 will make characters show a wrong portrait and name in battle, unless you use some trick I'll also release soon." -taken from comment on youtube
Ohhh, that's quite reassuring in a way when he puts it's like that.

There's probably some magic coding involved that utilizes extra slots in the sc_selcharacter.pac, the way BrawlEx does. I could be very, very wrong though.
You know, that might actually do the trick considering BrawlEx can go up to 100 characters so with BP's that would be cool.

Well Wario has 12 but he has 20 slots available i believe
Oh wow, I learn something everyday, wasn't aware of Wario's 20 slots.

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Oh yeah, I was thinking about that as I was looking through the BPs, I wonder if it'll re-structure the BPs or possible add them at the end and reorganize them, this getting me really curious now haha!
I know right? I really hope it all works out in the end. Having 14 costumes would be really amazing, but BPs and all that good stuff not working properly on the battle screen would really spoil the fun.

Now the next question is, is 14 costumes the limit? are they going to go even farther? I wouldn't be surprised, actually that would be pretty rad.

Sempai

Smash Ace
I know right? I really hope it all works out in the end. Having 14 costumes would be really amazing, but BPs and all that good stuff not working properly on the battle screen would really spoil the fun.

Now the next question is, is 14 costumes the limit? are they going to go even farther? I wouldn't be surprised, actually that would be pretty rad.
Definitely, but the problem is space. I know Ive had to make hard cuts to fit everything in, luckily costumes dont take up TOO much space.

Also, with 14 slots each, brawlbox would have a heart attack and everybody would get moved around to accommodate the space.
Seems like a lot of work. Although maybe you could do some array shenanigans to have the same numbers but different costumes and names...

Shiro_Neku

Smash Cadet
I actually tried it but it didn't work (in normal Brawl), I got the CSPs to show but when a battle start it freeze due to conflicting ids in BPs, I think that 14 is the limit because the game only recognize 00-12.pac/pcs + the Dark and Fake pac/pcs unless you make the game load the pac and pcs independently which I doubt because it share the same number (Fit~00.pac & Fit~00.pcs as 2 different instead of one)

@ Sempai Sempai You could do that with addons, the only problem is that the common5 can't be replace independently yet you can only replace the whole thing (not just mario or other character) you could make it to show the different costumes like the vBrawl Pokemon Trainer does though

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Definitely, but the problem is space. I know Ive had to make hard cuts to fit everything in, luckily costumes dont take up TOO much space.

Also, with 14 slots each, brawlbox would have a heart attack and everybody would get moved around to accommodate the space.
Seems like a lot of work. Although maybe you could do some array shenanigans to have the same numbers but different costumes and names...
Well, since Project M has added a lot more to the table in terms of Smash Brawl modding, I guess a new, updated version of Brawl Box will definetely be required to keep up with the changes. With things like 14 costumes PER CHARACTER on the same Build, at the same time, who knows what we can expect for the future? Modding has come a long way and for the better.

Definetely the biggest issue will be space, most notably because of the game actually crashing or not working properly whenever you go over the file size limit. I guess that's another issue that will need to be taken care of in the future.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
1.83 GB isnt enough :(
I'm surprised that after all these years that stuff is still a problem. I remember that when modding Vanilla Brawl we also had that restriction. I don't know if there's ever going to be a fix for that. I guess not because, if it was posible, it would have been taken care of a long time ago.

Just as I think that stuff like 14 costumes on the same Build are going to be possible very soon I really wonder what we can expect for Project M in the future. The fact that the mod is being developed, updated and fixed constantly by a very active and capable team has definetely made this a great Smash game overall.

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
hey codex do u have an estimate of when u will release this? the anticipation is killing me lol

Sempai

Smash Ace
Im a melee player as well, since day 1. But without Pm I know I wouldn't be on this forum right now.
Rekindled a lot of smash passion for me. So people can say all they want to about PM not being as good as melee. At the end of the day, what they made from brawl was so amazing, that its hard to believe its a fan made game. They did an excellent job, and there constantly improving.

It gets rather annoying that people still complain about it, but it just goes to show that people will complain no matter you give them. Also, Melee has gotten a lot of players FROM PM, so it always irks me when people hate on it. Like when hax made his tag (at a tournament no less) F PM. If it helps grow the scene you should support it, you dont have to like it, but at least support it.

End rant. :p

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
Im a melee player as well, since day 1. But without Pm I know I wouldn't be on this forum right now.
Rekindled a lot of smash passion for me. So people can say all they want to about PM not being as good as melee. At the end of the day, what they made from brawl was so amazing, that its hard to believe its a fan made game. They did an excellent job, and there constantly improving.

It gets rather annoying that people still complain about it, but it just goes to show that people will complain no matter you give them. Also, Melee has gotten a lot of players FROM PM, so it always irks me when people hate on it. Like when hax made his tag (at a tournament no less) F PM. If it helps grow the scene you should support it, you dont have to like it, but at least support it.

End rant. :p
This.
I'm also a competitive Melee player and Melee is actually my game, the one I like the most, the one I'm better at.
However, PM has allowed me to discover a new way of enjoying Smash, combining the best of Brawl and Melee into a single, amazing experience that just gets better and better each time a new update is released.

I love Melee, but I also enjoy playing PM competitively. Also, the fact that PM is also like a doll you can dress up and make it look however YOU want it to look is a great addition. PM opened me the doors to modding, content creation and has allowed me to meet awesome people and enjoy a great and very complete Smash experience.

And also the great work of people like Codex or the entire Smash 3 team keep the hype alive and really the community happy, so that's amazing as well.
hey codex do u have an estimate of when u will release this? the anticipation is killing me lol
I'm sure he has everything he needs ready in terms of interface design and character modelling. The only thing missing is for the cBliss update to be released (which will allow him to include 14 costumes per character on his Build). Unfortunately, it all depends on when exactly is Mewtwo2000 is going to release said update.

I'm sure that Codex's final build will really be worth the wait. We are so close!

kenny77

Smash Rookie
and the most anticipated game award for 2015 goes too....CODEX!!!!
come get your cookie :p lol xD
these updates though..imma need life alert.
they..so...goood :o!!!!
how are the stages coming out though?

MagicManNo9

One the one side that would be amazing to see, on the other that would mean SO MANY COSTUMES, if they do go pass that I do wonder if they'll do something about the 2GB limit, that's the main concern with it, creating a custom build also takes a toll with the extra stages, costumes, music and so on that'll add onto it.

If you look in brawlbox, wario starts in the 370s and continues into the 380s, where most would stop at 378 for example.
Ohhhh right, that makes sense then, specially with Wario's Ware and Land costumes.

I certainly look forward to seeing how they'll edit and work around this.

I'm surprised that after all these years that stuff is still a problem. I remember that when modding Vanilla Brawl we also had that restriction. I don't know if there's ever going to be a fix for that. I guess not because, if it was posible, it would have been taken care of a long time ago.

Just as I think that stuff like 14 costumes on the same Build are going to be possible very soon I really wonder what we can expect for Project M in the future. The fact that the mod is being developed, updated and fixed constantly by a very active and capable team has definetely made this a great Smash game overall.
There are a lot of glaring issues mod/visual wise that needs fixing (Justin Bailey which got a fix thanks to Mewtwo2000, Training Stage etc), again it's still a mod in development hence the 3.5, I can't make much comments on the gameplay aspects of the game because I'm more of the presentation side of things and whilst I do play competitive in Bristol I'm not on a level where I can critique it, I enjoy all Smash Games and just adapt to whatever changes/patches are made usually.

Hopefully early next year! It all depends when the CBliss update is incoming, I'll be working on it whilst waiting and when it hits I'll go into full overdrive mode. Glad to hear you're looking forward to it!

This.
I'm also a competitive Melee player and Melee is actually my game, the one I like the most, the one I'm better at.
However, PM has allowed me to discover a new way of enjoying Smash, combining the best of Brawl and Melee into a single, amazing experience that just gets better and better each time a new update is released.

I love Melee, but I also enjoy playing PM competitively. Also, the fact that PM is also like a doll you can dress up and make it look however YOU want it to look is a great addition. PM opened me the doors to modding, content creation and has allowed me to meet awesome people and enjoy a great and very complete Smash experience.

And also the great work of people like Codex or the entire Smash 3 team keep the hype alive and really the community happy, so that's amazing as well.

I'm sure he has everything he needs ready in terms of interface design and character modelling. The only thing missing is for the cBliss update to be released (which will allow him to include 14 costumes per character on his Build). Unfortunately, it all depends on when exactly is Mewtwo2000 is going to release said update.

I'm sure that Codex's final build will really be worth the wait. We are so close!
Thanks for replying Luddoj whilst I was away! (It was actually 4am so I just got up haha!) I've got a reply from Mewtwo2000 saying that it'll be released soon so I'm looking forward to that.

And yeah, the community as a whole is one of the reasons I'm still around, there are great people like pretty much everyone in Smash 3 and people looking forward to the build that keeps me going, it motivates me! So here's the future!

Well you could always use homebrew to load the PM loader which let you use SD cards with 2 GB or more (I actually use it to load my BrawlEx build that it's on a 4 GB SD)
I was going to say this, but then I realised I'm using a PAL Wii and has to use the USB loader method to boot it up, though 2GB is plenty for me to work with in any case!

and the most anticipated game award for 2015 goes too....CODEX!!!!
come get your cookie :p lol xD
these updates though..imma need life alert.
they..so...goood :o!!!!
how are the stages coming out though?
PFFFFFFF, thanks! I'll gladly take that cookie! Keep expecting updates as the passing days go by! I have lots to show until the release! As for stages I plan to jump and re-pick them all, there was a recent few stages that came out I really dig (Like Scout's Sonic Stage, that's 10/10 work that gets me pumped)

UPDATE:

I spent a lot of time re-working on the 14 costumes selection, Sonic is one of them so here's his costumes:

CSPs

BPs

A couple of things I wanted to point out, firstly that DarkSpine Sonic was something I whipped up quickly, I see many on the vault but never one I was satisfied with, I hope people like that, I reverted Sonic back to his default color and Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic costume will have that Blue so you can see the difference between them.

I might replace Red sonic with a slightly better red and replace one of the Purple Sonic with something if I find something that fits, in any case as always I hope you all like!

Last edited:

Mewtoo22

Smash Rookie
^That's a pretty good suggestion, imo.
I was wondering what happened to that Knuckles-themed Sonic and the Sonic Boom alt? I wouldn't mind seeing them again too.

Also, if you wanted to replace that dark purple-ish one, you could go with a pink recolor. :p

MagicManNo9

Sonic looks great, as usual, but have you considered using iwantgames' Lost World Hyrule DLC-inspired Sonic? http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=204825
Ahh yeah, the reason why is because Hyrule DLC Sonic is a different model to the default ones, as much as I love that costume I was aiming for consistency with the brawl model Sonic so that's why.

^That's a pretty good suggestion, imo.
I was wondering what happened to that Knuckles-themed Sonic and the Sonic Boom alt? I wouldn't mind seeing them again too.

Also, if you wanted to replace that dark purple-ish one, you could go with a pink recolor. :p
Knuckles themed Sonic was taken out mainly because it was incompatible with 3.5 causing it to crash, I would be perfectly okay to add that in if I was able to fix that, I was considering to get premission to do a similar thing with Smash 3's Espio's sonic, the wristbands specifically but I don't know how to do so myself (Maybe in the future though)

Annd with Sonic Boom costume, the original was actually a texture edit (Like the scarf and bandages were on the body texture and stood out in game) I could still go with it if people wanted me to?

And haha! I was thinking about a Pink sonic earlier, if someone did that with Amy's shoes that would be gold! (And I would add that in!)

14 outfits and the sonic boom costume is gone? I hope thats not permanent :c
People really love that Boom outfit, I'll have to rethink Sonic then!

3 shades of Blue and none of them are Metal Sonic...
Metal Sonic is a whole different character to Sonic, I only choose costumes for the actually character themselves (That and seeing Metal Sonic run and speak would seem really out of place)

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
I'm thinking..... DR. SONIBOTNIK!!!!! Robotnik's glasses, outfit, and most importantly mustache would look awesome!!!

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
UPDATE:
I spent a lot of time re-working on the 14 costumes selection, Sonic is one of them so here's his costumes:

CSPs

BPs

A couple of things I wanted to point out, firstly that DarkSpine Sonic was something I whipped up quickly, I see many on the vault but never one I was satisfied with, I hope people like that, I reverted Sonic back to his default color and Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic costume will have that Blue so you can see the difference between them.

I might replace Red sonic with a slightly better red and replace one of the Purple Sonic with something if I find something that fits, in any case as always I hope you all like!
Every alt starting with the Jet alt is wonderful. Beautiful work.

Also, I, for one, don't miss the Sonic Boom alt at all, but naturally this isn't my build! Whatever choice you make on Sonic's alts is fine with me, the entire build is sure to be great.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Hate to sound like a nuisances to your very impressive work, but it appears too me that they all have the same eye color, most preferably the alternate customs and the extras.

MagicManNo9

I'm thinking..... DR. SONIBOTNIK!!!!! Robotnik's glasses, outfit, and most importantly mustache would look awesome!!!
Welps, I can't unsee how'd that costume turns out! Specially the mustache, it also has to be Mario's Mustache just because.

Every alt starting with the Jet alt is wonderful. Beautiful work.

Also, I, for one, don't miss the Sonic Boom alt at all, but naturally this isn't my build! Whatever choice you make on Sonic's alts is fine with me, the entire build is sure to be great.
Thanks! Hopefully it turns out well, it's been so long since I started and there's so many little things I want to change up and rework, in either case I'll be going all out!

I will change a couple of Sonic's costumes when I can, for now I'll get back to it once I focus on getting everyone else done first!

Hate to sound like a nuisances to your very impressive work, but it appears too me that they all have the same eye color, most preferably the alternate customs and the extras.
I originally changed them to be the same since it's sonic but if people want me to change them back then I'm okay with it in either case!

UPDATE:

In any case here's Pikachu's 14!

CSP's

BPs

A couple of notes I want to put down, as before I decided to keep the same color Pikachu for them all, that said I have mentioned that I'll do an optional Pikachu pack in the future in case people preferred color'd skin Pikachu's.

I also changed the Party Hat from 3.5 back to blue because of how badly saturated the purple one was, for the pruple I just added in the purple winter hat Pikachu instead, I also updated the texture on May's hat one with a slightly higher quality version, (Mentioned this before but I plan to credit EVERYONE on these, and towards the end make sure I get permission as well as various other changes so everything is safe to go, so if any creator see's these and uncomfortable with any changes by all means message me) in any case I hope you all enjoy the changes!

With that said I shall be sleeping as it's been a late night over here, that and been up way early today.

Mewtoo22

Smash Rookie
These are lookin' pretty great. I'm glad to see you've included kidneptune's new May bow. ^^ And I've never seen the purple winter hat, but it's lookin' alright too so nice choices. :D

Huhn_79

Smash Rookie
Hello good sir ,
This build looks like the perfect project M in my opinion. Any estimated time that the download will be available?

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Holy guacamole, Batman! I need an estimate on this pack, A.S.A.P.!

This is going to be one hell of a pack when it comes out. You might even beat the entirety of the other packs away into the outer depths of the solar system with this beast, you know that?

Yoyoeat

Smash Cadet
Build waiting for the CBliss update, ANYTIME SOOOOOOOOON, if nothing is heard about that by the end of next week I'm going to make the main release with 10 costumes.

As for the CSP downloads I really should update that front page, it's way dated and I should release the costumes on the vault when I can *Adds to the To-do list*
That post was 1 week ago. Just sayin'.

MagicManNo9

These are lookin' pretty great. I'm glad to see you've included kidneptune's new May bow. ^^ And I've never seen the purple winter hat, but it's lookin' alright too so nice choices. :D
I found that hat a while back so it's pretty neat to get it out! Specially for the winter and all it's more fitting!

ALL THE HATS!
ALL OF THEM!
ALL THESE HATS AROUND ME, I WANT THEM ALL!

Hello good sir ,
This build looks like the perfect project M in my opinion. Any estimated time that the download will be available?
Thanks! I'm aiming for an early January release, it all depends on when CBliss updates comes as well as a few other things!

I love Jet Pikachu!
Same! I'm glad 14 costumes allow me to put that one in!

iirc isnt the May bow a female pikachu with a different tail and eyes?
Yup! Different tail, I edited a couple of things but the model is there and strong!

Holy guacamole, Batman! I need an estimate on this pack, A.S.A.P.!

This is going to be one hell of a pack when it comes out. You might even beat the entirety of the other packs away into the outer depths of the solar system with this beast, you know that?
Thanks! I'm hoping for January release! Just as I mentioned to a earlier reply it all depends on CBliss and certain other releases I'm waiting in for! It's really amazing to hear stuff like this so thank you so much for the support!

This will be released on time for Christmas, right? RIGHT? RIIIIIGHT?
Afraid not, I'll be with my family for the most part so I can't promise that sorry!

That post was 1 week ago. Just sayin'.
Ahhh crap I did say that, I decided to not do that in the end, mainly because I'm currently re-working costumes and stages again whilst waiting, I'm re-doing CSP's, improving lighting, fixing up costumes here and there, there's quite a lot of things I'm too focused on and would rather work on that and make a full proper release rather than rush the 10 costume one and be held back because of it.

UPDATE:

Snake update, a couple of notes about him:

CSPs

BPs

I thought about what I could do with Snake and the vault had a release for alt colors so that was perfect timing so I gave him a Wario like treatment, with splitting him in two parts, Big Boss and Solid Snake, also a fun thing to know is that the actual model for Big Boss Snake is actually smaller than Solid Snake by a small margin, which is why I ended up making an alternate pose to this, another thing to note is that Dr Mario also has this problem hence why I went with that!, In any case hope you like!

ImThatGuy

Smash Cadet
Ooooooh Snake looks pretty damn good, i really like the diversity of all the different big boss skins for him. Not to seem like a bribe or anything, but I would love to see what you do for Lucas's costumes slides cookie across table ;]

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
I found that hat a while back so it's pretty neat to get it out! Specially for the winter and all it's more fitting!

Thanks! I'm aiming for an early January release, it all depends on when CBliss updates comes as well as a few other things!

Yup! Different tail, I edited a couple of things but the model is there and strong!

Thanks! I'm hoping for January release! Just as I mentioned to a earlier reply it all depends on CBliss and certain other releases I'm waiting in for! It's really amazing to hear stuff like this so thank you so much for the support!

Afraid not, I'll be with my family for the most part so I can't promise that sorry!

Ahhh crap I did say that, I decided to not do that in the end, mainly because I'm currently re-working costumes and stages again whilst waiting, I'm re-doing CSP's, improving lighting, fixing up costumes here and there, there's quite a lot of things I'm too focused on and would rather work on that and make a full proper release rather than rush the 10 costume one and be held back because of it.

UPDATE:

CSPs

BPs

I thought about what I could do with Snake and the vault had a release for alt colors so that was perfect timing so I gave him a Wario like treatment, with splitting him in two parts, Big Boss and Solid Snake, also a fun thing to know is that the actual model for Big Boss Snake is actually smaller than Solid Snake by a small margin, which is why I ended up making an alternate pose to this, another thing to note is that Dr Mario also has this problem hence why I went with that!, In any case hope you like!
Is- is- is that a... duck suit Big Boss? My sweet lord jesus it's.. *tear drop runs down face* beautiful.

Yoyoeat

Smash Cadet

UPDATE:

CSPs

BPs

Schnap, I'll wait then!

Top Bottom