• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M, black and white. (on pal, per homebrew)

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
So i recently decided i want to add Project M to my collection of Super Smash Brothers. Since my wii and Brawl is PAL i followed this awesome guide ... well it seems i am too new to post the link. it is ndowner's
Project M on a PAL Wii *UPDATED* guide.

Now everything works fine (besides some slight administartion problems with WBFS) and i finally finish setting up the homebrew channel, the USB reader and so on.

Now my problem is that Project M is black and white and rustles (? in need for a better word i am not a native speaker) a bit. Sound also has some problems.

I suspect this to be a problem with my Brawl iso since i tried to set it up on PC before and it hab problems (other problems). Or did i go wrong somewhere on the way? Only thing i could imagine is that i switched up step 10 and 11 in the guide but that shouldnt matter.

I just checked and Brawl, when started from homebrew as the .iso is also black and white.

Could this be easily fixed by switching around some settings? Has someone faced a similar problem and/or possibly knows how to fix it?

Greatly appreciate all answers, thanks for the help in advance

edit: Even though my wii and original copy of Brawl are PAL, the iso is ntsc. The whole point of the Guide was to Play Project M on a PAL wii.

Edit: i forced PAL50 on USB loader. Video is good now but audio goes crazy a minute into the game. with Pal60 and 480 i get no video at all, only sound

Edit2: sound is OK while fighting actually, only crazy in menu. oh well

Edit 3: Various other problems have occured while playing with friends
The picture seems to be cut off at the bottom. %Numbers are cut in half. Even moving the picture up doesnt help, its just black beyond this point.

Cursor in Character select gets quite slow for some reason.

Played with a couple friends yesterday and at one point the game kept crashing when someone played squirtle and pressed B (tried it a couple times just occured with squirtles B) Played squirtle before that and had no problems, seems to have something to do with played with 3 players.

Had to fight "new challengers" sometimes after a versus match.

Something about the controlls seemed a bit off, like not reacting or reacting too slow but that might have something to do with getting used to it.

Did someone face similar problems and knows how to fix it?

(Also offtopic question. Since i am waiting for the PAL version to finally come out is it possible to play PM on wiiu?)

edit 4: seemingly solved all my problems by finding a hdav cable in a drawer and using that

Last edited:

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Try going into your USB loader and set your Project M iso's region to force PAL mode, perhaps?

Another issue is that you made your PM iso with a Pal version of the game. The guide says to use the NTSC iso version. Try making another PM iso with the NTSC version, perhaps?

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
Of course my iso was NTSC. otherwise PM wouldnt even have started wouldnt it?

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Ah, sorry. Misread the first couple of sentences.

In that case, are you using Usb loader GX? Go into the settings for your iso in your usb loader, and force the video to Pal mode? It might be a possible solution, hopefully.

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot that was Indeed the problem. I havent thought of that :). edit: or doesnt

Last edited:

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
Forced PAL 50. Okay now i got a different problem. Sound goes crazy like a minute into the game. Rustles and then goes back to normal then ****ed up again.

with force PAL 60 or force Pal480 i get no Picture at all only sound

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, usually forcing Pal takes care of the issue. I haven't run across a problem like this, so unfortunately my 'expertise' doesn't go much further than this...I'm really sorry.

I can't really suggest much more help than what I have already, other than perhaps experimenting a bit more with the different settings on the loader.

Hopefully someone comes along with more experience on Pal wiis.

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
Hmm, usually forcing Pal takes care of the issue. I haven't run across a problem like this, so unfortunately my 'expertise' doesn't go much further than this...I'm really sorry.

I can't really suggest much more help than what I have already, other than perhaps experimenting a bit more with the different settings on the loader.

Hopefully someone comes along with more experience on Pal wiis.
Dont worry you helped a lot. I am currently investigating the problem and it seems to only occur in the menu or character select. during fights everything is fine or at least seems to be. That makes this a really minor annoyance. Thanks a lot again!

MaxThunder

PM Support
first try force ntsc... if that give you black and white, go into the ingame setting and switch the deflicker option to the opposite of what it's at currently... then go try force PAL60 and see if that works...
also, set the hooktype to axnextframe...

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
do
So i recently decided i want to add Project M to my collection of Super Smash Brothers. Since my wii and Brawl is PAL i followed this awesome guide ... well it seems i am too new to post the link. it is ndowner's
Project M on a PAL Wii *UPDATED* guide.

Now everything works fine (besides some slight administartion problems with WBFS) and i finally finish setting up the homebrew channel, the USB reader and so on.

Now my problem is that Project M is black and white and rustles (? in need for a better word i am not a native speaker) a bit. Sound also has some problems.

I suspect this to be a problem with my Brawl iso since i tried to set it up on PC before and it hab problems (other problems). Or did i go wrong somewhere on the way? Only thing i could imagine is that i switched up step 10 and 11 in the guide but that shouldnt matter.

I just checked and Brawl, when started from homebrew as the .iso is also black and white.

Could this be easily fixed by switching around some settings? Has someone faced a similar problem and/or possibly knows how to fix it?

Greatly appreciate all answers, thanks for the help in advance

edit: Even though my wii and original copy of Brawl are PAL, the iso is ntsc. The whole point of the Guide was to Play Project M on a PAL wii.

Edit: i forced PAL50 on USB loader. Video is good now but audio goes crazy a minute into the game. with Pal60 and 480 i get no video at all, only sound
don't force anything just go in the game specific's settings of your usbloader and set video mode to disc mode.

If it is an ntsc game the loader will force ntsc mode and one more important thing YOUR TV MUST BE NTSC CAPABLE!

Last edited:

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
first try force ntsc... if that give you black and white, go into the ingame setting and switch the deflicker option to the opposite of what it's at currently... then go try force PAL60 and see if that works...
also, set the hooktype to axnextframe...
Will try the deflicker one when im at home today. Forcing ntsc does give me Black and white. Forcing PAL60 gives me no visuals.

don't force anything just go in the game specific's settings of your usbloader and set video mode to disc mode.

If it is an ntsc game the loader will force ntsc mode and one more important thing YOUR TV MUST BE NTSC CAPABLE!
Will check if that works and if TV is ntsc compatible. Right now only force PAL 50 works.

I played with some friends and was facing some different problems which i will write in an edit

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
Pal50 will work but the game will be very slow!
That might be why the game feels so off, controllwise. actually surprised that pal60 or ntsc doesnt work with the tv. Sadly Wii doesnt have an HD port.

I guess either my wii or the TV have problems with PAL 60 or ntsc.

Last edited:

MaxThunder

PM Support
PAL50 is running the game in 50 fps, so 10 less frames per second than you're used to...
a HD port would not really do anything cause the image from the disc would still be ntsc...
anyways you can try messing around more with combinations of hooktypes and force ntsc/PAL60, but that tv most likely can't handle ntsc at all if the deflicker thing didn't work...

Candlejax

Smash Rookie
The tv isnt old or cheap so i would have been surprised if he couldnt handle ntsc.

if i did ntsc game ran smooth but was black and white (with av). If i did force pal it ran slow.

now it runs real smooth and looks good. Doesnt seem slower at all. since ntsc half worked with av and fully works with hd cant see how the cable doesnt help.

frameproblems were only when it was set on pal.

maybe the other cable was somehow defect i did have a problem with it previously. Did buy it online since roommate took my original one and since then had problems with my wii and 60hz mode but wasnt surr if it was cable or wii. Now with hd and usbloadrr set to ntsc all is fine

now (hopefully) only the thing with habing to fight "new" challengers from time to time stays.

Top Bottom