• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M and Melee Camera

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
So watching some matches of PM and Melee Top 8 on CEO stream made me notice something: Is it just me or is Melee camera generally more zoomed in than PM's? I'm talking about when two characters are close in Melee it seems in the stream/videos you can get more detail of their actions than in PM, thus making it more immerse to watch.

Of course, this could just be a side effect of just watching the Grand Finals with Sonic moving all over the stage, but that's the impression I got.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
IIRC melee's is more zoomed in and slower, which means characters go off-cam relatively easily and ledges become hard to spot.
I prefer PM's although Melee's feels better for spectating.

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I also prefer PM's right now. When playing, I feel more aware of my surroundings.

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I definitely see the point in that PM's camera is better for the player and Melee's may be better for the spectator.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
IMO Melee camera > PM Camera. because its zoomed in it gives it the illusion of the game being played faster and also the combos look much better up close, it makes the game more enjoyable for the viewer. Also can the PMDT give a toggle feature that allows you to switch cameras, i feel like its one of the last missing pieces to make the game feel more like melee.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Melee's camera is awful when you play it.

It doesn't focus on giving vision to the people on screen. PM's Camera is infinitely better.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
that's an opinion, im just asking for a toggle feature that satisfies both sides
So which gets used at tournament? Which ever is chosen would piss off the other side of the spectrum. Can you imagine if there was a 3.0 toggle? All the Lucas, Mewtwo, and Diddy mains would go back while the rest would want nothing to do with it. I'm just saying it's best to have one camera as the default. If you want a different camera, make it for your custom build.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
So which gets used at tournament? Which ever is chosen would piss off the other side of the spectrum. Can you imagine if there was a 3.0 toggle? All the Lucas, Mewtwo, and Diddy mains would go back while the rest would want nothing to do with it. I'm just saying it's best to have one camera as the default. If you want a different camera, make it for your custom build.
I think the PM camera should be used in all tournaments, but the melee camera can be settled on a gentleman agreement, also i dont have any experience in developing a game i think its the same for most people who play this game. I think melees camera is something underrated and overlooked

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
The camera doesn't make people play worse or better, or alter the balance of the game

Kati

Smash Lord
there are two flaws with the melee camera:

1) it sometimes isn't fast enough when panning to the side, preventing one to see what the opponent is doing after hitting him/her.

2) it doesn't take into account the hud/lower real estate of the screen, so stocks and percent can obscure characters.

I'm sure that if it were possible to make the pm camera faster and zoom in more, pmdt would have done so. Melee's camera does look fabulous when ignoring it's shortcomings.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
The camera doesn't make people play worse or better, or alter the balance of the game
untrue. The melee camera, with how pulled in it is, makes spacing a bigger focal point of play. It is silly to presume that the way you experience the game doesn't have an impact on the way the game is played.

If Melee were played on wiimotes and nunchuks, the metagame would probably look different, just like the game plays differently depending on how close the camera is to the action.

jtm94

Smash Lord
The closer camera is SO much better for doubles. Doubles is almost unplayable in PM because it's very difficult to see what's going on without a larger TV.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I would really appreciate having the Melee camera in PM. I usually play on a either a ****ty CRT or from far away on an LCD so having a more zoomed in camera would help some of the more realistic Brawl graphics not look so blurred.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I like the new camera, but I'm not against it receiving more alterations. I think it would definitely be worth it to invest more time into making it perfect.

jtm94

Smash Lord
The problem is the camera acts as though it has some sort of "fake" rigging. It fails to follow the action smoothly, but it sure does it swiftly. It can definitely make you disoriented if you find yourself thinking about it mid game. It just moves so jerky, you would think an optimized camera algorithm would be easy to implement, but it might not be that easy to edit...

I just wish teams didn't feel so garbage.

Top Bottom