• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've set up everything perfectly. It still doesn't show up. I've already reinstalled it twice.
OK try running the iso via file->open and see if it runs. Maybe the iso is corrupt? Have you also tried putting it on your desktop or another place and making a path there and seeing if it shows up? This is very strange.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely not your hardware, that's some of the best for Dolphin. Reverting to an older version of dolphin isn't an option, you need 4.0-652. Are you using 4.0-652? Did you use my controller settings?

You are using my guide right? Not a virtual SD card?
I used the reddit guide. This one is more updated so I'll try it out (plz use mega.co.nz for big files, they give 15mbps downloads while mediafire is like 2-3)

I was using 4.0-648 but I tried the newer one and it was no different. No virtual SD as far as I know.

I'll try your controller settings.
I'm also gonna try getting audio through the motherboard rather than my soundcard.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
quick question idk if this has been answered or not(didnt read whole thread) but what if i made a custom build that i play on wii? can i use the same build to play on dolphin? and if so how could i do that?

Y-L

Smash Champion
You can, you just replace the projectm folder with the one in your custom build (and rsbe01.gct if you modified it) and build from there. The only thing you'd maybe have to modify is in the builder (right click edit) the gctsize code in it (it's the size of the gct in hex) if your rsbe01.gct is heavily modified.

Y-L

Smash Champion
If the RSBE01.gct is the same size then you just replace the projectm folder with the modded one then build. If the RSBE01.gct is customized you have to change the GCTSIZE in the builder to the size of the new one (in hex).

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
okay now im confused again im finally in the builder but idk where to change the gct size in hex, my rsbe01 file is 47.9 KB (49,144 bytes). Sorry for all the questions.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
says "cannot find projectm\pf" also it needs to be in directory "riivolution.zip\projectm\pf"

Y-L

Smash Champion
screenshot your builder folder plz
Try to run as administrator, make sure builder folder isn't in protected area like program files, make sure pf folder is actually in the projectm folder.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
i ran as admin, the folder is on my desktop for ease of access and here is a screen of pm

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
wow how did i not notice that lol ill try it out and hopefully it works.
Update: It works thank you for the help.

Last edited:

profs

Smash Rookie
I encountered a weird problem while trying to connect via netplay. Whenever I try using the ID used for connecting or hosting, dolphin crashes. I tried opening ports in my router and forcing the listen port, as well as make an exception for dolphin in my firewall, but it still didn't work. What's strange is that if I instead use my external IP-address + the forwarded port for hosting it works perfectly fine (for example "11.222.333.444:1234" instead of the normal "abcde123"). Any idea what might cause this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I encountered a weird problem while trying to connect via netplay. Whenever I try using the ID used for connecting or hosting, dolphin crashes. I tried opening ports in my router and forcing the listen port, as well as make an exception for dolphin in my firewall, but it still didn't work. What's strange is that if I instead use my external IP-address + the forwarded port for hosting it works perfectly fine (for example "11.222.333.444:1234" instead of the normal "abcde123"). Any idea what might cause this?
I have seen multiple people with your problem. It has bewildered me for awhile why it causes dolphin to crash. I recommend posting about it on the dolphin forums, and if you figure anything out please respond as I am very curious.

The reason why it does not crash with your external IP/forwarded port is because using the dolphin codes, you connect through dolphin's transversal server, while using the direct IP is peer to peer. This leads me to believe some routers have incompatibilities with the transversal server (?). I recommend the support subforum in the dolphin forums. Make sure to include which dolphin version you are using and perhaps router model. Sorry I can't be of more help.

profs

Smash Rookie
I have seen multiple people with your problem. It has bewildered me for awhile why it causes dolphin to crash. I recommend posting about it on the dolphin forums, and if you figure anything out please respond as I am very curious.

The reason why it does not crash with your external IP/forwarded port is because using the dolphin codes, you connect through dolphin's transversal server, while using the direct IP is peer to peer. This leads me to believe some routers have incompatibilities with the transversal server (?). I recommend the support subforum in the dolphin forums. Make sure to include which dolphin version you are using and perhaps router model. Sorry I can't be of more help.
It probably is my router. While searching for solutions to my problem I found a lot of people complaining about my particular router/internet provider. That thing you said about dolphin connecting through a server also explains why dolphin was using two ports while it was running (something I found out while troubleshooting). What's strange is that forwarding the other port didn't work either, so I'm at a loss.

I posted a more detailed explanation to my problem on the Project M subreddit. Unfortunately I can't link it since I just made this account today :(
If anyone is interested in reading it it's titled "Strange netplay issue". I might update this post later with an actual link.

I thought I'd make a post here too for others who might experience the same problem (and since I saw that you were very quick to reply :p)

As I said, using my external IP + port number worked just fine. It's just not as desirable as the normal method.

Y-L

Smash Champion
It probably is my router. While searching for solutions to my problem I found a lot of people complaining about my particular router/internet provider. That thing you said about dolphin connecting through a server also explains why dolphin was using two ports while it was running (something I found out while troubleshooting). What's strange is that forwarding the other port didn't work either, so I'm at a loss.

I posted a more detailed explanation to my problem on the Project M subreddit. Unfortunately I can't link it since I just made this account today :(
If anyone is interested in reading it it's titled "Strange netplay issue". I might update this post later with an actual link.

I thought I'd make a post here too for others who might experience the same problem (and since I saw that you were very quick to reply :p)

As I said, using my external IP + port number worked just fine. It's just not as desirable as the normal method.
Well your best bet is going to be the dolphin forums, you'll have the best chance at getting your question answered there.

seanbb

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tutorial!
I have the same Checksum but the program cannot find a custom banner.
There are some custom banner for Project M?

I can play without the custom banner but I want see it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks for the tutorial!
I have the same Checksum but the program cannot find a custom banner.
There are some custom banner for Project M?

I can play without the custom banner but I want see it.
Unfortunately the banner in the iso maker is not a banner used with dolphin. Dolphin creates banners off of save files for wii games, to have one you would have to create a save file and even then it would be a brawl banner due to PM being based off brawl.

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
I've been enjoying the netplay today, even if I've had to use a PS3 controller since my GC adapter isn't here yet. Thanks for the guide. Have to say, I'm very surprised that it runs well on my 13'' retina Macbook Pro.

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
I seem to be having trouble getting dolphin to keep a connection. I usually can't get past the Project M splash screen before I disconnect. I've verified that i have the same version of dolphin as my opponent, but yet I can't seem to hold a connection. Sometimes it'll get so bad that the internet will go out entirely. The strange thing is that it was working perfectly last week.

Any ideas?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I seem to be having trouble getting dolphin to keep a connection. I usually can't get past the Project M splash screen before I disconnect. I've verified that i have the same version of dolphin as my opponent, but yet I can't seem to hold a connection. Sometimes it'll get so bad that the internet will go out entirely. The strange thing is that it was working perfectly last week.

Any ideas?
Only with one person? Did you try resetting your router?

Y-L

Smash Champion
It's been with multiple people. And I've reset my router like 20 times the past 2 days
You may be one of these few people with connection issues. Try what's in the FAQ. I've heard of people that can connect with one person but not the other. It has to do with certain routers not allowing connections.

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
You may be one of these few people with connection issues. Try what's in the FAQ. I've heard of people that can connect with one person but not the other. It has to do with certain routers not allowing connections.
The strange thing is this same router was working perfectly fine last week. Any idea what that's about?

PerkPrincess

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I would always disconnect when trying to connect to another player. So I switched to 648. But now it just crashes instead. I'm doing some troubleshooting with it, but I figured I may as well post here.

As well, what ports should I forward for the traversal server? I figure that's worth a shot too.

Edit: Managed to get it sorted out. <3

Last edited:

Evilforces

Smash Rookie
I tried to host a netplay game but I constantly got desynced. The settings are as shown in the post and I created my iso with the isobuilder but originally I had the virtual SD set up, would this cause desyncs?. Could it be that where I got my brawl iso from caused my desyncs?

Y-L

Smash Champion
The strange thing is this same router was working perfectly fine last week. Any idea what that's about?
What I'm wondering is if it wasn't the router that was working last week, but you you just played people with which the connection worked with and this week you played new people with which the connection doesn't work. Have you tried playing the people you played last week?

I tried to host a netplay game but I constantly got desynced. The settings are as shown in the post and I created my iso with the isobuilder but originally I had the virtual SD set up, would this cause desyncs?. Could it be that where I got my brawl iso from caused my desyncs?
If you left insert SD card on you'll desync.

Last edited:

seanbb

Smash Cadet
I can play the patched iso with dolphin but I cannot play it with a normal loader on GC.
CTG at the select screen.

There are any ways to load the patched iso using a USB loader?

Sorry for my bad english

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
What I'm wondering is if it wasn't the router that was working last week, but you you just played people with which the connection worked with and this week you played new people with which the connection doesn't work. Have you tried playing the people you played last week?

If you left insert SD card on you'll desync.
Yeah, I tried playing one person with whom I had an almost flawless connection last week. We played a good 10 matches last week, but this week we couldn't even select our characters before disconnect. If he hosted, I would disconnect with the error message "error connecting to traversal server". If I hosted, he would disconnect. I would watch the percentage that's at the bottom of the dolphin window and it would start out at 100%, fluctuate around 60-80%, then it would hang around 2%-15% for a good 20 seconds and then we would disconnect.

EDIT: I left my router and modem unplugged today while I'm at work to see if that will help when I get home

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yeah, I tried playing one person with whom I had an almost flawless connection last week. We played a good 10 matches last week, but this week we couldn't even select our characters before disconnect. If he hosted, I would disconnect with the error message "error connecting to traversal server". If I hosted, he would disconnect. I would watch the percentage that's at the bottom of the dolphin window and it would start out at 100%, fluctuate around 60-80%, then it would hang around 2%-15% for a good 20 seconds and then we would disconnect.

EDIT: I left my router and modem unplugged today while I'm at work to see if that will help when I get home
The transversal server error means you're losing connection to the dolphin server. Either it's your end, your opponents, or dolphins. Did your ping rise during the slowdowns?

Jalio_the_Brave

Smash Cadet
The transversal server error means you're losing connection to the dolphin server. Either it's your end, your opponents, or dolphins. Did your ping rise during the slowdowns?
It did rise. It was all over the place

Skatch

Smash Rookie
I can only connect to some people, other can't connect to me and i can't connect to them. Those who I have connected to havent had any ports open and i connected through the normal ID. Why cant I connect to everyone (who's netplay works fine otherwise)?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I can only connect to some people, other can't connect to me and i can't connect to them. Those who I have connected to havent had any ports open and i connected through the normal ID. Why cant I connect to everyone (who's netplay works fine otherwise)?
That's what I was referring to here: "You may be one of these few people with connection issues. Try what's in the FAQ. I've heard of people that can connect with one person but not the other. It has to do with certain routers not allowing connections." I'm not sure why that happens, you'd be better asking on the Dolphin forums.

It did rise. It was all over the place
If ping was ridiculously high (like 800-3000000) then it sounds like you're losing connection to the Dolphin server.

Top Bottom