• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project F[allacy]

Bazkip

Smash Master
I've seen this mentioned a lot. but where in the game is that said?

Brawl manual uses gender neutral pronouns...
As far as I can tell it's simply something the PMBR decided on, since Ivysaur has no differences between genders.
Whenever they refer to her, they use female pronouns, such as on the character page, or in patch notes.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell it's simply something the PMBR decided on, since Ivysaur has no differences between genders.
Whenever they refer to her, they use female pronouns, such as on the character page, or in patch notes.
When a Venosaur's pistils protrude out of the flower, that indicates that it's a female. Brawl somewhat integrated that biologically onto Ivysaur's model by hiding a pistil in its bulb. Also, while internationally the Pokémon have no gender, the Japanese version of Brawl still gives Ivysaur a female voice.

So basically the PMBR sort of went with that and made all the Pokémon except Jiggs and Ivy male. Mewtwo's genderless but we sorta call Mewtwo a "he" nonetheless.

Bazkip

Smash Master
When a Venosaur's pistils protrude out of the flower, that indicates that it's a female. Brawl somewhat integrated that biologically onto Ivysaur's model by hiding a pistil in its bulb. Also, while internationally the Pokémon have no gender, the Japanese version of Brawl still gives Ivysaur a female voice.

So basically the PMBR sort of went with that and made all the Pokémon except Jiggs and Ivy male. Mewtwo's genderless but we sorta call Mewtwo a "he" nonetheless.
I know about Venosaur's difference between genders, but had no idea that was included in the model.
That makes a lot more sense, cheers for the info.

yea, but they call sheik 'she' too =p

if i put on a wonderwoman outfit, it doesnt make wonderwoman a man. right?
wat
People still think this?

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
Appeal to Top Tier
Maintaining that a character shouldn't be nerfed because of another character entirely.
Why are we nerfing Ivysaur when Fox and Falco still exist?
The Band-aid Fallacy
Suggesting that, because a character is weak in an area, they should be given something there.
"Dedede has a lot of trouble with projectile spam. He should get a buffed Waddle Dee Toss so he can deal with it."
This two argues could be treated as fallacies but they had something true behind of it: Melee top tiers are still top tiers in Project M and individual weaknesses are too resistant to change (lot of testing, I guess)
Obviously, they are not arguments itselves but depends on context.

(Sorry for my english. Actually practicing...)

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
This two argues could be treated as fallacies but they had something true behind of it: Melee top tiers are still top tiers in Project M
Yes, but only two of them: Fox and Falco. Sheik is a "maybe" (significantly better along with Zelda) and nobody seems to think Jigglypuff is still top.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
How is Fox and Falco 'top tier' when they can't even get 1st in 1 tournament despite the absolutely rabid popularity? At this moment in time it seems like Wolf has a better chance of winning than either of the other two, especially if Chillin overcomes any plateaus soon. Why not "cry Wolf" instead? Oh yeah, everyone already does that ;)

People don't talk about Puff or how good/not she is because they don't even play Puff, so most people literally have no idea what they're talking about. The same can be said for Peach, even though she is a more popular pick. I think I've seen a whole 3 Peach players on stream, but they all placed low because it was obvious they were pretty new. But like, that isn't going to make me rampage these forums telling everyone that Peach sux, yaknow?

shapular

Smash Ace
How is Fox and Falco 'top tier' when they can't even get 1st in 1 tournament despite the absolutely rabid popularity? At this moment in time it seems like Wolf has a better chance of winning than either of the other two, especially if Chillin overcomes any plateaus soon. Why not "cry Wolf" instead? Oh yeah, everyone already does that ;)

People don't talk about Puff or how good/not she is because they don't even play Puff, so most people literally have no idea what they're talking about. The same can be said for Peach, even though she is a more popular pick. I think I've seen a whole 3 Peach players on stream, but they all placed low because it was obvious they were pretty new. But like, that isn't going to make me rampage these forums telling everyone that Peach sux, yaknow?
There's been one whole major PM tournament so far. Does that mean Pit is the only top tier character in PM?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
"Fox and Falco are the best characters in the game because Melee says so."

W¡ndy

Smash Cadet
I like this thread overall, but "because Melee" is the stated reason for many of PM's changes. Like, "Why is crouch cancelling so good?" "That's exactly how it was in Melee." "Why can't I grab the ledge while facing away from it?" "Because Melee." "Why can characters grab people behind them?" "Because Melee." "Why was Falco re-cloned and why have neither him nor Fox gotten any significant nerfs from Melee?" "Because Melee."
But, that doesn't make it not a fallacy?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
But, that doesn't make it not a fallacy?
Some elements of project M do fall under the traditionalism fallacy. Project M is Melee like but it doesn't mean just because of that, bringing something over was necessarily a good idea from a game design standpoint.

EpicFlyingTaco

Smash Cadet
This thread is amazing :p, and very true. There's a lot of complaining that goes along with PM, we've all done our share of it. I've sure done my share of it, but when we complain we have to complain about legitimate things.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
My hope for P:M is that decisions are made based on what the backroom thinks is right, and not what is in popular demand. However, Melee tethers better get in. Not because Melee, but because batman.

Top Bottom