• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with short-hopping, please help!

Syrup on da sid

Smash Rookie
I'm sure a lot of you will look at this and not think much of it but for me it is a big deal.

Short hopping is something that I can do every now and then but I do not have the ability to do it at will, do any of you have a trick that you use(d) to be able to short hop at will or is it just the longer I play the easier it will become?

Thanks for any and all of your potential help!

Nabbit

Smash Rookie
How i learned how to short hop was a would sit in practice mode and just get to the middle of the stage and just tap the jump button but i suggest ether using the x or y button to jump if you would just tap on the stick it would b somewhat difficult to be consistent with that. Anyways so just when you have some free time just get into practice mode and just tap the x button don't hold on it our anything just tap it and over time you will get the hang of it. :)

xX2kawaii4uXx

Smash Rookie
What I do is I tap X quickly, and then quickly lift my thumb off of X. Practicing while fighting against AIs helps.

Bones0

Smash Legend
^To clarify, it doesn't matter how far down you push the button, it matters how quickly you release it. You have to let go of the button before your character leaves the ground. It is easier with some characters than others. I recommend using Y and sort of angling your thumb at the joint when you press it. I find it much easier to straighten the end of my thumb as opposed to lifting my entire thumb, especially if I'm trying to press A right before or after jumping.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Just keep practicing and note that short hopping comes from how long you hold the jump button down (not how lightly you tap it). Try sliding method - it might work for you. Honestly it'll just come naturally as you play a lot.

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Yeah, I had a problem with it when I was first starting to. Just sit in training mode and practice the timing of your button press, you have to tap it and release it quickly. It isn't too hard to short hop as Marth (I play him, and by your character icon I'm assuming you do too), it just took a bit of time and practice to get down.
Start practicing in place and then eventually short hopping forward and backward, then once you've mastered that start doing it with a fast fall, and then onto shffl, and so on. After you've spent enough time all of that should be pretty easy for you.

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
What Bones0 said. And Y > X because is more near to everything else; B, Z and R most important

Mara

Smash Rookie
I still have trouble short hopping from time to time (especially in the heat of the battle), but it took me almost a week just practicing short hopping to 'fluently' and consistently execute at will.
I used to practice in Training Mode (everyday, 10 minutes at most). The technique of short hopping (as every one said) is to lightly tap the x or y button super fast. You will get used to short hopping eventually.

The hard part is applying what you have learned in real battles. The (somewhat obvious) 'trick' is to keep your composure. I, personally, tend to get nervous easily when playing against real people, so I make silly mistakes like holding the x button for too long.
I think everyone has to overcome some difficulties while playing (such as getting too hyped, or under/over estimating others). I digress, but my point is that you have to keep practicing in various situations if you want to short hop at will.

I hope this helped.

Dimir

Smash Rookie
Short hopping is something that I can do every now and then but I do not have the ability to do it at will, do any of you have a trick that you use(d) to be able to short hop at will or is it just the longer I play the easier it will become?
The truth is there is no "trick". The ability to perform an input into a controller is a skill. Just like any other skill, - be it learning to catch a ball or ride a bike - short hopping takes time and effort to learn. The good news is, when you say that you do not have the ability to do it at will, that is only true right now. The more you practice, the more trained your fingers will become. If you feel stuck, it should help to accept that you will need to invest some time and effort into mastering the short hop.

Everyone learns at a different pace, and it might take the right mind set to progress if you feel stuck. It might seem like a bother to take the time to learn it, but if you can make yourself want to do it you will probably learn faster.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
I used to have bad SH problems, but then i spent hours learning different methods to do this as easy as possible, consistently.

The method: while holding the controller regular style, I put my thumb, more the tip part, on the left corner of Y and i flick down and away as fast as i can. With a bit of practice, i'm now able to consistantly SH. Also, use Falco or Ganon to practice; they have really noticeable shorthops that have small windows to perform(Falco's is like 3 frames). What makes this method easy is that you should be able to hit the button input and flick off at the same time.

Last edited:

aRes_fuRy

Smash Cadet
Jumping Speed - Jumping speed is how long it takes to do a jump from the ground. Every aerial jump (a.k.a. 2nd jump) takes 1 frame (starts instantaneously), as it's proven by the Screw Attack weapon, which hits anything nearby the EXACT INSTANT the character with the Screw Attack item jumps. Also, characters jump slower when they're big (Giant Melee and/or with a Super Mushroom) and they jump faster from the ground when they're small (Tiny Melee and/or with a Poison Mushroom)

Also please note that [for example] Fox (4 frames jumping speed) is in the AIR on frame 4+, so that means that the jumping ANIMATION (frames on the ground) is 3 frames for Fox.

---For more information on jumping speed go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=651183#post651183

4 frames - Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda
-
9 frames - Bowser
I actually just recently conquered short hops, and here is what I did. I followed this list from m2k and started with bowser. I just went up against a lvl 1 cpu on FD and just did short hop aerials against him till I pretty much never messed up. After that I went to ganon, then, etc... Until I mastered it with fox and samus. Fox it is just super fast, and samus' is just really hard to tell the difference between a full hop and short hop. When you get to those two characters down, and have your short hops consistent, try moving to stage like yoshi's island and get comfortable short hopping around utilizing platforms and such. And it is worth mentioning that I SH with my index finger, since I claw the controller, which IMO is far more difficult than with a normal grip since I was able to do it far easier with just my thumb when I started playing.

Edit: Oh and it is worth practicing alternating between short hops and full hops, if you can do that consistently than you pretty much have short hopping down. And just because I don't think I have said this word enough: CONSISTENCY is what you should be aiming for, with any tech skill. And since SH is usually the first one people learn, it is good to get that mindset down. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
And it is worth mentioning that I SH with my index finger, since I claw the controller, which IMO is far more difficult than with a normal grip since I was able to do it far easier with just my thumb when I started playing.
I feel like claw is more consistent though. I honestly don't understand how regular-style fox players are able to not drop waveshines. Blows my mind.

SAUS

Smash Ace
^To clarify, it doesn't matter how far down you push the button, it matters how quickly you release it. You have to let go of the button before your character leaves the ground. It is easier with some characters than others. I recommend using Y and sort of angling your thumb at the joint when you press it. I find it much easier to straighten the end of my thumb as opposed to lifting my entire thumb, especially if I'm trying to press A right before or after jumping.
This is how I do it. Also, being able to press the A button right after with this technique is quite handy. I use it for instant up-airs with Captain Falcon and basically any move that I want to do after a double-jump.

Zoler

Smash Ace
I used to have bad SH problems, but then i spent hours learning different methods to do this as easy as possible, consistently.

The method: while holding the controller regular style, I put my thumb, more the tip part, on the left corner of Y and i flick down and away as fast as i can. With a bit of practice, i'm now able to consistantly SH. Also, use Falco or Ganon to practice; they have really noticeable shorthops that have small windows to perform(Falco's is like 3 frames). What makes this method easy is that you should be able to hit the button input and flick off at the same time.
Falco is actually one of the easiest characters to short hop with in the game. The hardest ones are Fox, Samus, Sheik, Pikachu, Pichu and Ice Climbers.

D

Deleted member

I short hop with Y and X and my method of constantly doing it and perfecting it is just practice, really.

Practicing things daily really help you.

Top Bottom