• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problem with switching

4Leaf

Smash Rookie
Hello! I am a new competitive smash player. I played Melee casually and never could really get into it due to the extreme entry barriers between experts and casual players so I eventually gave up at getting competitive. Now however I feel much more ballance work has gone into making this game fair and fun, I have decided to go competitive. So I want to main the pokemon trainer and have been having a fun time with Ivysaur and a little with squirtle. I read the wonderful guide on the pokemon boards and was shocked to find out how much it stresses the importance of switching. If anything it seems switching is the biggest weakness of the character. Every time I try and switch midfight I get camped and get smashed to death. My question is how can I switch midbattle without being camped and killed? If switching was that important as stressed in the guides you would think it would be easier to to not get camped and killed... so I usually never end up switching. Any help? thanks!

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
dont switch out of nowhere. knock them away, like off the ledge. or across the stage. they should only be able to pull off a dash atk or grab if your far enough. but if theyre good, theyll do that dashcancelupsmash thing. so just make sure you knock them away and IMMEDIATELY chane, so they have to first stop going away from you, then attempt to come at you before you finish your transformation. and mash the a button or shield button so you maybe could protect yourself as they return. when they die is also a good time to change. esp during a star KO.

Polostick

Smash Apprentice
hold down the shieild button when you switch and sidestep dodge or something

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
You should really try it when you are starting a new life because you are invincible by that time. You can also use them when your oponent is far away.

Top Bottom