• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro controller in tournament

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
I've been really debating on whether or not to continue bringing my pro controller to a weekly i've been attending.

i knew interference was a thing going into it and figured 30-40 people who mostly use gc controllers wouldn't really make a difference but i can definitely say there IS and sometimes isn't a problem with interference. i think.

i only say i think because i'm not sure if it's tournament jitters messing up my inputs on occasion or it's actual interference.

my only question is: to people who attend locals with pro controllers, how does yours hold up?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think you'd probably find an answer quicker in the Competitive forum, so I'll be moving this there if you don't mind!

Raijinken

Smash Master
This thread's testing suggests that a wired controller (aka Gamecube controller) will respond a frame faster roughly 60% of the time, and the remaining 40% are ties. I'm not sure if interference would impact that significantly, narrowly, or none, but it's worth noting.

Of course, depending on your skill, that one frame might not be necessary (against less-skilled opponents) or noticeable (if you yourself aren't that precise). It's largely preference.

While I primarily use the Gamecube controller, I use the Pro second-most, and have never encountered an input error that I could not attribute to myself.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
For now I've had a very strange issue with the pro controller and now I have to get use to the GC controller. The issue is that for no reason in the middle of a match, the left stick. the movement...would randomly throw out smash attacks. So now I have to send it in to be replaced, but yeah theres the possibility of that happening to you.

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
Do you mean interference like shutting off or connecting to a different console?
i might've used the term in the wrong way but i mean input-wise, for instance a dash after attempting to drop shield would register as a roll. or i can't fast fall immediately, that kind of thing.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
OK let's see pro controller and Gamecube controllers have the same frame data but I suggest GameCube controller because A pro controller can easier mess up and break

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The only problem with a Pro Controller is in a place with a lot of people close to you using mobile devices and other wireless things like 3DS, that can cause some input delay or even input drops. Otherwise I feel no difference between it and the GCC.

verbatim

Smash Ace
Go with what works best. Im using a pro controller because of the absurd pricing on adaptors and the fact that certain pac-tech is much harder to do on GC and I haven't seen any serious issues. Just make sure you don't throw your controller into a backpack where it could turn on and disrupt a match in progress and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom