• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Priority Data

stuntmansteve

Smash Rookie
As the title would suggest, this thread is about gathering data on the priority of moves. First of all, here's my plan. I want to use you guys to test as many combinations of samus moves vs. other characters moves as possible and compile match-up charts for samus vs. each character. For example, test samus's Ftilt against pikachu's Ftilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, Dtilt, etc., then redo it using samus's Dtilt, Dsmash, etc.

The obvious goal is to discern which moves will be the most likely to prevail against a certain character(i.e. for each character, which samus move has priority over the most of the other character's moves?). Hopefully this will serve as a reference or starting point for developing per-character match-up strategies. Ultimately, I would like to gather the information on priority within this thread and then add the results to the samus guide that Dryn is maintaining.

So that's the idea, and hopefully I'll get support from you guys. As a starting point, let's work on metaknight. Anyone who has the time, please post the data that you intend to gather(in order to minimize having multiple people doing the same tests) and then post the results when you are finished.

Let the game begin.

-The Stuntman-

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Well to submit something offhand, I think zair takes off MK tornado, if you do it right..

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Well to submit something offhand, I think zair takes off MK tornado, if you do it right..
Yup, it is one of the best moves to do so. I was also able to homing missile it too, but that is rare.

Samus' jab is pretty fast (the first hit). U+B has lost a lot of priority (it was uber in 64 XD).

I could be wrong but doesn't Utilt have some good priority? I don't use it nearly as much as I should.

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
The thing is....
Making a thread that tells others to find out data is kinda... I don't know... not gonna work.

Lets just make the list....
Zair > everything... so yeah.

But really, expecting people just to dump in data is not gonna happen.
Unless someone actually does...

But then there are tons of things to consider.

With a Samus F tilt, it has longer reach than a.... pikachu f tilt, but it also depends on where you stand when hitting.
It's complicated.

stuntmansteve

Smash Rookie
The thing is....
Making a thread that tells others to find out data is kinda... I don't know... not gonna work.
Ok, so maybe I'm dreaming a little bit :p. We can make it work if enough people get interested. This whole idea really came from when I was playing a couple of days ago and I had a Zair clink with MK's tornado, and I haven't had a chance to test if this was just a freak incident.

Anyway, I would still really like to see this carried through. Perhaps it would benefit this effort to have more structure... Like maybe just try to cover a few attacks at a time per character?

So, for no particular reason at all, I'm going to pick MK's drill attack and tornado attack. Once we get a complete list of priorities on these two, I'll pick two more of MK's moves. Any and all participants are welcome and appreciated, and I'll try to do as much as I can myself, but I'm going to be pretty limited for the next month in terms of my ability to play.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh come on guys, I think this is a great idea.

I'll get testing when I feel up to it. Metaknight and Snake are top priority, especially Snake.

What I found so far:

Metaknight's Fair beats Samus's Ftilt. Sometimes they trade hits.

Ftlit vs Metaknight's Nair is neutral. They trade hits.

Mach tornado is always beaten by down tilt.

Mach tornado clashes with ftilt, fsmash and dsmash. Will occasionally beat Ftilt.

Mach tornado is beaten by up tilt

Fair, Dair and Nair all cancel Mach Tornado

Her down tilt trades hits with all his tilts and smashes, but is just eaten up by Metaknight's side B. My guess is that his side B has good priority.

A Super missile passes THROUGH Mach tornado without exploding and then hits Metaknight. A homing missile just clanks with it.

So already, this tells us that Samus's tilts have more priority than her aerials and smash attacks, (with the exception of ftilt) and that super missiles have a surprising amount of priority.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I tested this so that each attack connected right at the start of the tornado. If I'm correct, tapping B refreshes the initial priority of this move or something, so it's the same sort of deal.

I'll re-test while tapping.

EDIT: OK, I re-tested this while tapping B to gain more priority, and it has no difference. Dtilt, Utilt and Super missile still go right through Mach Tornado.

Super missile also goes right through Metaknight's side B! It seems that the super missile has the ability to penetrate certain non-projectile attacks before exploding. It is still destroyed by other projectiles though.

stuntmansteve

Smash Rookie
Ok, so here's the data that we have so far:

The cart is coded as follows:

Red - Samus has priority
Blue - MK has priority
Purple - attacks clank
Yellow - attacks trade hits

Anyone with suggestions about improvements to be made for the chart(i.e. more colors for different things), please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot for the work so far Ness.

I'll try to make further contributions myself, but, like I said before, I'm not currently in a position to play as much as I'd like. All contributions to the project are appreciated, ^_^

-Stuntman Steve-

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Hey NESSBOUNDER, how could you be a tier sellout for Ness and then get interested in Samus? No comprende... (this isn't a serious post)

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Just a note while we're on the topic of Samus and priority...I don't know if this is attributable to priority or to proper spacing: Samus' Fair can take MK out of Shuttle Loop on MK's way up without trading hits.

((I posted this somewhere else in this sub-forum, but I wana watch this one too.))

Mars-

Smash Champion
Zair does NOT have any priority. It's a disjointed hitbox. If you do a fsmash with marth and try hitting marths sword with the grapple, nothing will happen. If the character can hit you, then zair will die. Priority is simply put which move will ahve the better chance of hitting. If two samus's jump at each other at the same time with the sex kick then they will both hit. If the one samus jumps first so where his hitbox touches the other samus outspaces the other samus's hitbox then the other samus will get hit.

Not saying that this stuff isn't fun to know but besides that it's pretty much useless. You should be more focused on how to weave your way through their attacks to get a hit in without getting hit yourself, not thinking, "HEY WELL IF I JUMP AT HIM WITH THIS ATTACK AND HE DOES THIS ATTACK, GG, I HAVE MORE PRIORITY". This involves spacing, which is what you should be doing with the zair. Shorthop fast fall zair is amazing and if you time it right (which you should be practicing) then it will fulling extend before cancelling out on the ground.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Hey NESSBOUNDER, how could you be a tier sellout for Ness and then get interested in Samus? No comprende... (this isn't a serious post)
Because Samus only gets infinited by Dedede, and she can transform to avoid that. Ness has to watch out for KO moves and re-grabs from release of half the cast.

But seriously, I'm only learning Samus because I just played Metroid Prime for the first time.

But about priority: it seems that priority is not a tier system of values like people originally thought. If an attack has > 10% or more power than another attack, it will cancel the weaker attack. If the two moves are within 10% of each other, they'll clash.

Naturally, moves with disjointed hitboxes still have ultimate priority (Zair).

So it would take an attack with a 25 damage hit to beat Samus's up tilt. Anythinng under 5% will be beaten by it.

So really, Samus's charge shot is her highest priority attack.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
But seriously, I'm only learning Samus because I just played Metroid Prime for the first time.
You have excellent taste in video games, sir.

I think I understand the general idea of this topic, but how does this work, exactly? Do damage percentages effect priority?

(Nessbounder's post kind of confused me.)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
You have excellent taste in video games, sir.

I think I understand the general idea of this topic, but how does this work, exactly? Do damage percentages effect priority?

(Nessbounder's post kind of confused me.)
Ino,rite?

Within the first 5 minutes I was kicking myself for not playing it earlier.

And now I'm all excited about those Metroid 2 fan remakes and stuff.

Dunnnn...dunnnn...dunnnnn...
Dunnnn...DUNNNN...duuuuunnnn....

Top Bottom