• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty terrible Marth seeks critique

EVH

Smash Cadet
Here's my two cents, although I'm not a good smasher by any means, but what I noticed was:

1. You threw out too much forward smash. If you didn't hit(which was rather often), you got punished so try not to use it so much and use your tilts in place or SHFFL a nair or fair.
Examples: Against Ken - 51:15(I would've dash danced), 51:37(Gets you killed), 51:50(Another punish)

2. You rolled from the ledge quite often, which is good, but it gets predictable if you do it every time. Try to incorporate nair/fair back on to the stage or wavelanding.

Hope this helps. Just so you know, there is a thread dedicated for critique.

ScrapMettle

Smash Cadet
General Stuff
-------------
- You're hitting most of your l-cancels from short hops, but you're missing them from high aerials. This is probably because you've trained yourself to hit l a certain time after your aerial, which means you have to unlearn that and just watch when you're hitting the ground.
- Countering high usually won't work, since counter makes you float out of range from whatever they're doing. You're also burning your jump a lot, try stalling with your side-b and coming down without an aerial; you get baited a lot from this position.
- Practice getting on to the stage with nair. If you delay it, you can get get your shield up before their crouch cancel -> punish. Also, vary the length of your wd from the ledge. If you come on short then dtilt, you can punish people who are just waiting for your full length wd on.

Sheik Stuff
------------
-As EVH mentioned, you're fsmashing too much. The problem is, even when you hit it sheik isn't dying (35:48). You're risking getting combo'd for 70% to get like 15% against sheik (this sheik is mostly punishing with dsmash, but it could be much worse). Your d-tilt grab/dashdance setups are working well, there's no reason to fsmash. 36:39 and 37:38 are better spots, because sheik is actually at death percent. You will want to know how to kill sheik without random fsmash, though.
-36:06 -- do that more, it's pretty good.
-35:10 -- good spacing, try to replicate this.
-When edgeguarding, your timing from the ledge is correct. But, you keep taking weak fsmashes, which don't get you anywhere. Work on getting the tipper; if you can't, throwing Sheik off puts you in a better position.
-Upthrow Sheik. Try to catch her out of her second jump; if you can do that it's easy to combo him to high percents. On platforms, look for uptilts, then rise through the platform with an upair to continue the combo.
-When sheik is coming down, he'll almost always throw out a bair or a nair to keep you off. Try visualizing where his foot will be if he attacks, then spacing to hit that spot.
-Fthrow fsmash a) doesn't always work (35:21) and b) doesn't get you anywhere, you need to look for big combos against sheik.
-35:19 + 35:22-- if you get a cc against sheik (or any character, really) just go for the grab. This is just a reflex thing that comes with practice.
-35:26 -- You manage to get under Sheik, but you roll awway instead of punishing. I assume this is just tourney nerves, but for the sake of completeness you should uptilt here.
-When you see Sheik jump, your reflex is to fsmash, which almost never works. Instead, try short hopping then fairing when you see Sheik fall into range. Fair comes out quickly, so you don't have to predict as hard, and leads into more than fsmash does.

Marth Stuff
-------------
TODO

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
EVH - Thanks so much. There's so much I need to work on, it helps that you were the first one to offer advice.
ScrapMettle - Wow! You really went H.A.M on that critique. Amazing. <3

Top Bottom