• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If Wolf is skipped over for DLC, we probably will get Krystal as DLC, should she be in Star Fox Wii U, (I am taking what Sakurai said with a grain of salt with all o the lying and contradictions), and she would be DLC, because 1). Leon is a background character, Krystal was important to three games in the series, 2). Panther is also irrelevant, 3). Panther would probably be a clone, 4). Slippy is not really liked by a good chunk of the Star Fox fanbase, 5), Peppy is a bit too old. 6). She would be a great addition to the roster if she gets a unique roster.
I also don't get why Leon and Panther are requested, they are background characters, they appear but they don't really do anything special storyline wise, Krystal's story in Adventures introduced the Krazoa Spirit portion of the game, she introduced the Sauria mission in Assault, she and Fox had an on foot mission, and she played a MAJOR role in Command

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Just because Wolf's Specials are in Fox's custom moves doesn't mean he's out for the count. If anything, piecing his move set together should be as easy as building a clone - the moves are all intact, all they need to do is just give it back to their rightful owner.

And it seems like Wolf is one of the most wanted characters at the moment.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Just because Wolf's Specials are in Fox's custom moves doesn't mean he's out for the count. If anything, piecing his move set together should be as easy as building a clone - the moves are all intact, all they need to do is just give it back to their rightful owner.

And it seems like Wolf is one of the most wanted characters at the moment.
It's more complicated than that.

First of all, only one of Fox's customs actually resembles one of Wolf's old specials. This isn't a case like how Lucas was basically scrapped for parts, with all four of his specials being transferred to Ness' customs exactly as they were in Brawl. There's also the fact that you'd have to convince the fans to buy a clone character despite the massive backlash there usually is against clones...which doesn't apply quite as much for Wolf since he was a semi-clone, but still something to consider. Meanwhile, Krystal would lend toward a completely unique moveset naturally for a series that really needs unique characters. This could be a Chrom vs. Robin deal all over again...unless both become DLC somehow...

And saying Wolf is the current most wanted character is...ignoring context. How much of it is actual demand, and how much nostalgia for Brawl and the withdrawals of him not being in Smash 4?

Personally, I'd prefer a fully original character over a semi-clone, you know? I don't see how seniority should be an instant "more important" button.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's more complicated than that.

First of all, only one of Fox's customs actually resembles one of Wolf's old specials. This isn't a case like how Lucas was basically scrapped for parts, with all four of his specials being transferred to Ness' customs exactly as they were in Brawl. There's also the fact that you'd have to convince the fans to buy a clone character despite the massive backlash there usually is against clones...which doesn't apply quite as much for Wolf since he was a semi-clone, but still something to consider. Meanwhile, Krystal would lend toward a completely unique moveset naturally for a series that really needs unique characters. This could be a Chrom vs. Robin deal all over again...unless both become DLC somehow...

And saying Wolf is the current most wanted character is...ignoring context. How much of it is actual demand, and how much nostalgia for Brawl and the withdrawals of him not being in Smash 4?

Personally, I'd prefer a fully original character over a semi-clone, you know? I don't see how seniority should be an instant "more important" button.
Sorry, my bad.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Would that be a bad thing though? Wolf was really good in smash and again was really unique for a clone.

I'd be more for Krystal to come into the game if she used her staff, that's for sure. I wouldn't want anything to do with blasters or any high tech space stuff. So yeah I guess original character does sound better than semi-clone.

Old School Tommy

Smash Cadet
If Wolf is skipped over for DLC, we probably will get Krystal as DLC, should she be in Star Fox Wii U, (I am taking what Sakurai said with a grain of salt with all o the lying and contradictions), and she would be DLC, because 1). Leon is a background character, Krystal was important to three games in the series, 2). Panther is also irrelevant, 3). Panther would probably be a clone, 4). Slippy is not really liked by a good chunk of the Star Fox fanbase, 5), Peppy is a bit too old. 6). She would be a great addition to the roster if she gets a unique roster.
I also don't get why Leon and Panther are requested, they are background characters, they appear but they don't really do anything special storyline wise, Krystal's story in Adventures introduced the Krazoa Spirit portion of the game, she introduced the Sauria mission in Assault, she and Fox had an on foot mission, and she played a MAJOR role in Command
1. Leon is the Falco of Star Wolf.
2. I wonder what makes you say this.
3. ^Again.
4. Hate? Maybe... maybe not. People just mostly bring up how annoying he is. That's all I ever see.
5. This isn't a legitimate reason to keep him from being a playable character.
6. I agree with you on this one (if they gave her the staff).

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Basically, Krystal's biggest draw is the fact that unlike the previous Star Fox characters, quite a bit of her moveset would write itself if they had her use the staff from Adventures (which belongs to her, and would likely mean she'd get use of it in the way Palutena gets the powers she grants Pit in Uprising). They wouldn't have to fabricate half her moves or base them very loosely on Arwing weaponry.

That'd be the clearest thing to do...but...Adventures is hardly relevant nowadays. Could Krystal be passed up on because her best source for her moveset was from over ten years ago?

Ideally, this whole problem could clear up fast if Krystal had some kind of staff or magic weapon in the new game. But we haven't seen anything implying on-foot combat is even in yet, have we?

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Ideally, this whole problem could clear up fast if Krystal had some kind of staff or magic weapon in the new game. But we haven't seen anything implying on-foot combat is even in yet, have we?
I don't think Miyamoto is going to add on-foot combat in the new game, but we'll see I suppose.

It sounds to me that the new game will feature episodic gameplay that is fragmented by different game modes, etcetera. This is opposed to the longer-strung storylines beforehand in previous Star Fox installments.

Granted, I was never a fan of the stories in any of the Star Fox games. However, the lore of the Star Fox universe is what interested me the most, including the characters. But I doubt we'll get some kind of lore explanation or exploration in the new Star Fox game. It's the possibilities of Star Fox that excites me. Frankly, those possibilities may just remain... possibilities.

Knowing how Miyamoto prefers fun and goofy games over serious ones, I would be foolish to assume that they'd even remotely cover or explore the lore provided in the Star Fox universe (at least in an interesting or thoughtful manner). No matter how someone shapes it, having a preference to the point of limiting one's development is akin to restriction. It really is a shame that they're not (seemingly, because we don't know yet about the new game) allowing Star Fox to be expanded beyond what it has been percieved to be.

Krystal, at least in the way she's wanted for Smash, will most likely continue to be irrelevant, and thus may never be added to, or considered for, the roster.

Of course as always, we'll probably never know where Krystal stands for Smash Brothers. Nintendo might not ever give us a direct statement regarding Krystal. I just don't think she has been important or requested enough to be given an explanation for, like Ridley has on the other hand.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't think Miyamoto is going to add on-foot combat in the new game, but we'll see I suppose.

It sounds to me that the new game will feature episodic gameplay that is fragmented by different game modes, etcetera. This is opposed to the longer-strung storylines beforehand in previous Star Fox installments.

Granted, I was never a fan of the stories in any of the Star Fox games. However, the lore of the Star Fox universe is what interested me the most, including the characters. But I doubt we'll get some kind of lore explanation or exploration in the new Star Fox game. It's the possibilities of Star Fox that excites me. Frankly, those possibilities may just remain... possibilities.

Knowing how Miyamoto prefers fun and goofy games over serious ones, I would be foolish to assume that they'd even remotely cover or explore the lore provided in the Star Fox universe (at least in an interesting or thoughtful manner). No matter how someone shapes it, having a preference to the point of limiting one's development is akin to restriction. It really is a shame that they're not (seemingly, because we don't know yet about the new game) allowing Star Fox to be expanded beyond what it has been percieved to be.

Krystal, at least in the way she's wanted for Smash, will most likely continue to be irrelevant, and thus may never be added to, or considered for, the roster.

Of course as always, we'll probably never know where Krystal stands for Smash Brothers. Nintendo might not ever give us a direct statement regarding Krystal. I just don't think she has been important or requested enough to be given an explanation for, like Ridley has on the other hand.
Why must Miyamoto limit the potential of the Star Fox series?!, When a fan game has a better storyline than an official game, we have got a problem. With Star Fox: Event Horizon, it's got an excellent compelling storyline with three intertwined arcs, Krystal finding answers about Cerinia, Fox trying to rekindle his relationship, while a war for Lylat occurs. With Star Fox: Wii U, the plot will probably just be, Venom attacks Lylat, that's it. Miyamoto needs to let go of the Star Fox series, he's holding it back from it's true potential, Miyamoto is who is holding Nintendo back, with his opinons, that games having good stories are unecessary, while that may be true for Indie games, that's NOT true for one of the big three, he keeps having Nintendo innovate for the sake of innovation, and sometimes the hardware is too focused on the controller innovation that the rest of the console's tech specs and library suffer (Wii U and Wii), all I want from Nintendo is a console with good power, a comfortable controller, an affordable (anything from $300 to $400) price, and good games, but I am going off on a tangent, if Miyamoto really cared about the Star Fox franchise, he'd outsource it to either Platinum or Retro, studios that could do it justice, and also not rush it to market

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
For what it's worth, it's the same way for the vast majority of characters in limbo. The only times Sakurai's answered questions about characters were for Ridley, for why he went with Robin over Chrom, and why they added a character as unexpected as the Wii Fit Trainer. We're far from alone here.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well I heard Project giant robot and guard might tie into star fox wii u

Seeing guard, maybe there's a possibility of an on-foot mission? except you guard the base or something like that, I doubt that those projects will be stand alone, I think they are tech demo's of what you might see in star fox wii u like some people have been saying.

I hope miya doesnt blow this, but only time will tell if it'll only be landmaster + dogfights.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Well I heard Project giant robot and guard might tie into star fox wii u

Seeing guard, maybe there's a possibility of an on-foot mission? except you guard the base or something like that, I doubt that those projects will be stand alone, I think they are tech demo's of what you might see in star fox wii u like some people have been saying.

I hope miya doesnt blow this, but only time will tell if it'll only be landmaster + dogfights.
Well since this is Miyamoto we're talking about and the franchise that he himself has created despite the fact that he's been wanting to do one since the Wii generation, I have faith in Miyamoto that he'll do well on this game. But I will have to agree to what IantheGamer said of outsourcing the new game to either Retro or Platinum since Nintendo have very good relationships with those 2 companies after all. Besides, didn't he said that Nintendo was looking for a development partner to collaborate with them to work on the new game? I'm beginning to think that after Anouma recently asked Miyamoto about the progress of the new Starfox game while showing off the new footage for Zelda Wii U that Miyamoto has already found the studio to collaborate with him on it. As for the tech demos for Guard and Giant Robo, I'm certain that they are not only connected to SF Wii U, but they will be part of the new game and we could expect to see some on-foot missions. I never had a problem with on-foot missions from the previous games and combine that with the Landmaster and Arwing missions and there you have it. I'm hoping that we get a new trailer for SF Wii U soon after what Miyamoto said there. Because from the looks of it, it seems that Nintendo are really making a big deal with not only Starfox, but Zelda as well for next year.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So I got the Krystal Wii U trophy last night. Took some customizing, but I did it

But I will have to agree to what IantheGamer said of outsourcing the new game to either Retro or Platinum since Nintendo have very good relationships with those 2 companies after all.
What about SEGA? Nintendo has had even better ties with SEGA over the past years.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
I'm just prepared for the worst in case Krystal isn't in the 1st game trailer for the new Star Fox. Our only hope for her in Smash is her role in the New installment and if she's not there at all- :c

I'll still get the new Star Fox even if it doesn't have the whole point of why I fell in love with the series.. I'd be content with on foot mode but no Krystal or Krystal but no on foot mode. (I seriously want both though) xc

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm just prepared for the worst in case Krystal isn't in the 1st game trailer for the new Star Fox. Our only hope for her in Smash is her role in the New installment and if she's not there at all- :c

I'll still get the new Star Fox even if it doesn't have the whole point of why I fell in love with the series.. I'd be content with on foot mode but no Krystal or Krystal but no on foot mode. (I seriously want both though) xc
If Nintendo was removing her from the franchise, why wouod she be a Smash trophy?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If "removing her from the franchise" means "exiled to trophy land" then yes the harsh reality is possible if King K. Rool, the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series is used as a example. :(
They never said K. Rool was gone from the franchise, just that they wanted to give a couple other villains a shot.

And for what it's worth, Krystal's trophy is one of the few trophies to be unlocked that isn't of a character that originated in Smash. Whatever the reason, the developers seem to think she's still important. It might not guarantee she'll be in the new Star Fox game, but if she is, she might get an extra long look for Smash DLC.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
They never said K. Rool was gone from the franchise, just that they wanted to give a couple other villains a shot.

And for what it's worth, Krystal's trophy is one of the few trophies to be unlocked that isn't of a character that originated in Smash. Whatever the reason, the developers seem to think she's still important. It might not guarantee she'll be in the new Star Fox game, but if she is, she might get an extra long look for Smash DLC.
But as I said, just because a character is a trophy doesn't mean that they can't be playable. As for her being removed from the franchise for good, I doubt that's ever going to happen at all. The point that she is still important is that Nintendo is aware of the fanbase around Krystal and the same goes for K. Rool. Besides, they own the rights to both Krystal and K. Rool officially. Why get rid of them now? For Krystal, it's a safe bet that she'll be back in SF Wii U.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
I don't see her being completely removed, but more of a side character... If that's even possible. I just feel like they've done nothing of true substance with her and so her complete removal would be nothing more than just a passing thought on a developer's mind. I mean should she be completely erased? It's hard to say because she's been so poorly written thus far. I would love to see a well rounded character that is more than sexual interest for the main character. Delve into her (Nintendo written) non-existent backstory. At least make her into something.

Other M did prove that anything is better than nothing is a wrong adage to use because let's face it... The character they gave Samus was horrible and was counter to what everyone perceived her to be. (And what the manga series already showed us)

Maybe I'm just bitter after constant non-character BS; that they'd still continue this trend and would rather she'd be gone then given some sort of shallow idea of what would make Fox go gaga over. I just feel like she's too far gone to be worth a damn.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
But as I said, just because a character is a trophy doesn't mean that they can't be playable.
Well of course not. Didn't Mewtwo prove that? If a character appears as a collectible trophy--and not as anything beyond that, such as an Assist Trophy or stage element--they're fair game for DLC.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, Masahiro Sakurai is so full of BS, it's not funny, he said that we wouldn't have any clones, we got two clones nobody wanted back, one of which was a character that was a clone of a character from a previous Smash that was way too similar to Mario, and a character from a franchise that is extremely niche and didn't deserve three fighters, when there were plenty of more relevant franchises to choose from, If he had enough time to give Dark Pit a few different moves and a unique Final Smash, he had enough time to bring back Wolf and give him a unique Final Smash, or make Krystal a semi-clone with a different final Smash, he said no Zero Suit Samus, yet she was a seperate character, he said that we won't have any paid DLC, he MewTwo is planned to be paid DLC once the trial period ends.There's an old saying that works for me and the new Smash with all of Sakurai's comments nterviews and contradictions, Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Well of course not. Didn't Mewtwo prove that? If a character appears as a collectible trophy--and not as anything beyond that, such as an Assist Trophy or stage element--they're fair game for DLC.
Are background characters considered as stage elements? If they do then it should have stopped Toon Link and Duck Hunt from showing up on the roster.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Are background characters considered as stage elements? If they do then it should have stopped Toon Link and Duck Hunt from showing up on the roster.
The Toon Link that shows up on the Spirit Train is actually a different Toon Link (from Spirit tracks) than the playable one (from Wind Waker). I can't speak for Duck Hunt, though.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Got some new tidbits of info from Miyamoto regarding Star Fox Wii U. You've probably heard about it already though, it's been out for a few days. Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/miyamoto-amiibo-zelda-mario-movie-27699825

"AP: You're personally working on a new "Star Fox" game now. It feels like a long time since we've seen Fox piloting his Arwing. What's he up to now?

Miyamoto: I like to create gameplay mechanics more than I do stories. The story might not be too different from past "Star Fox" games, but the gameplay mechanics are going to feel very different because of the two-screen system of the Wii U with the GamePad and TV screen. It'll make for a very fun and unique way to play."

There you have it. If you're expecting any changes to the characters or story (any enhancements or interesting developments of the story or characters), you're sorely mistaken. Miyamoto essentially confirmed that the only thing that will be mainly changed are the gameplay mechanics--exactly as I predicted.

How does this make you guys feel?

We still have no idea where Krystal stands for Star Fox Wii U either.

Last edited:

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Odds are Krystal won't be relevant. Miyamoto is a developer from the early days when all you had going for a game was mechanics, so of course his games will be mechanically inclined with visuals and tone to fill in where story is left more basic. He's a man of the gameplay and less of the narrative. He'll probably stick to the original Star Fox team for the sake of simplicity and familiarity among his own characters.

Krystal was Rare's character and in all honesty making her a main member of the Star Fox staff only resulted in a lot of her character becoming sort of an artifact of Adventures, it was pretty clear with Assault and Command that people weren't sure what to do with her. I don't imagine Miyamoto is gonna be any different so odds are he'll only keep what he feels is most staple, and realistically would be continuing on off of Starfox 1, 2, and 64. Is that to say Krystal is gone? No, but she's been getting phased out quite a bit recently so don't get your hopes up there.

Besides in all honesty, Wolf is much more staple to the series and seems more like the go to guy, so removing Wolf and adding in Krystal in his place as the third Star Fox rep seems unlikely.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So we won't see any grand space opera stuff, most likely. But while Miyamoto puts gameplay before story, he isn't one to retcon things.

Although confirming her would really help shut the detractors up...

Krystal was Rare's character and in all honesty making her a main member of the Star Fox staff only resulted in a lot of her character becoming sort of an artifact of Adventures, it was pretty clear with Assault and Command that people weren't sure what to do with her. I don't imagine Miyamoto is gonna be any different so odds are he'll only keep what he feels is most staple, and realistically would be continuing on off of Starfox 1, 2, and 64. Is that to say Krystal is gone? No, but she's been getting phased out quite a bit recently so don't get your hopes up there.
And here's a different problem entirely. Why would Krystal's inclusion have made the games more difficult to write? Why is she always such a scapegoat for the perceived "downfall" of the series?

And moreover, how are there any signs of Krystal being phased out? If anything, her having a trophy in Smash 4 means Nintendo still considers her important. The series itself has just been stagnant lately.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Odds are Krystal won't be relevant. Miyamoto is a developer from the early days when all you had going for a game was mechanics, so of course his games will be mechanically inclined with visuals and tone to fill in where story is left more basic. He's a man of the gameplay and less of the narrative. He'll probably stick to the original Star Fox team for the sake of simplicity and familiarity among his own characters.

Besides in all honesty, Wolf is much more staple to the series and seems more like the go to guy, so removing Wolf and adding in Krystal in his place as the third Star Fox rep seems unlikely.
As it stands, I'm going to side with you on this one.

That is unless Miyamoto can convince me otherwise. What are the chances of that? He's been working on the game, including the conceptualization process, for the past 8 years now (but the Star Fox idea on the Wii never saw the light of day). With this in mind, it's safe to assume he has a pretty good grasp with what he is doing and is going to do for the Wii U game.

Comorant

Smash Cadet
So we won't see any grand space opera stuff, most likely. But while Miyamoto puts gameplay before story, he isn't one to retcon things.

And here's a different problem entirely. Why would Krystal's inclusion have made the games more difficult to write? Why is she always such a scapegoat for the perceived "downfall" of the series?

And moreover, how are there any signs of Krystal being phased out? If anything, her having a trophy in Smash 4 means Nintendo still considers her important. The series itself has just been stagnant lately.
I've never scapegoat Krystal nor made any claim that she made writing the franchise harder, quite rushing to defend the character with the anticipation of a bashing. My point is that while her character made sense in the context of Star Fox Adventures, she became almost an artifact character who was mostly there for the sake of continuity and as a results writers were struggling to work with her, resulting in some shaky writing in Assault and Command just flipping the table with her. I don't imagine Miyamoto is going to be willing to tackle the lore enough to find her worth the effort.

Now with that said, Nintendo's been pushing Star Fox 64 as the central and definitive incarnation of the series heavily in recent years, from the 3DS remake to cameo appearances such as Bayonetta 2. Even Smash reverted the Star Fox characters to being closer in line with their 64 versions with Krystal's complete exclusion from the Orbital Gate stage which kinda just pretends she never existed.

That said, the inclusion of a trophy doesn't mean much as far as character importance, it just means the character existed and the developers decided to include a nod, or sometimes its just because they still had the model and decided to reuse it from some other game because they figured they might as well.

This isn't to say she's gone, but as far as things have gone it seems like Nintendo doesn't seem to consider Krystal crucial to the Star Fox formula, and odds are Miyamoto will stick to the world he himself established. Could I be wrong? Sure, but that doesn't mean she'll be in Smash either.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

Those who say that Krystal is the reason for the "downfall" of the series is sorely mistaken. Yes it's true that there are those who love her as a character in the series and thought of her as a welcome addition and there are those who hate her. Trust me guys, she isn't the only female Nintendo character who has this scenario. I've seen this happen before. Besides, even other female Nintendo characters get the same treatment(those who love them or hate them) along with some of the more popular ones like Peach, Zelda, Samus, Daisy, Palutena and even Lucina. So this is no surprise at all. But to have Krystal being phased out or retconned from the series, I seriously doubt it. She is there to stay in the series. So get used to it, guys. I've always enjoyed her being a welcome addition into the SF series and nothing is going to change that. I don't think that Miyamoto would even be dumb enough to write her out from the series especially with a huge fanbase she has and he and everyone at Nintendo knows it. So yeah I'm going to agree with Delzethin there of her still being important to the series. Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen her at all neither in future SF entries(after Adventures) or in the Smash games so far either as a trophy or in the codecs. She's the only recurring female Nintendo character to have appeared more than any other female character in the SF series(more than either Amanda, Lucy or Katt put together). That shows in a way that she is still popular in the SF community so no matter what perception anyone sees of her, she is here to stay in the SF series hands down.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86

Well, it's a wrong conclusion, but it's a conclusion met from the idea that "Well SFA was bad, and Krystal came from SFA. Rest of the games that came after it are ****. The only variable that changed was Krystal." It's guilt by association pretty much. It's not necessarily right, but people do this ALL THE TIME with everything. So I guess in some regards don't find it surprising.

I honestly doubt a trophy is reason enough to believe she is "Important" though to be honest.

I think with what a lot of people say (Could just be me here) that they don't mind her inclusion so much if she was well written. Beaten a dead horse and all that, but still it's just most of the reasons people don't like Krystal is she's just a poor character. She adds nothing of value and that's a real shame. Sure the only people really properly characterized in the Star Fox games are Falco and Fox, but they're kinda minimally characterized too. In a game already plagued with poorly developed characters, do we really need to have one that's beyond bottom of the barrel?

Of-course this could ALL be fixed in Starfox Wii U with some actual story elements and character development. At least in theory, but people do have a bit of a right to be werry over a recurring pattern.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't think we need to worry to much for one reason, she has boobs. Wait, let me phrase that better, she's female. Look at all the recent nintendo games, every single one has been full of good female characters. Smash bros has so many I can't even remember them all, hyrule warriors has so many people were complaining about it, 2/5 characters in 3D world (A game made by miyamoto I might add) were female, DKC: Tropical freeze brought back dixie kong after like 20 years, Captain toad has toadette as a central character, even having her save toad halfway through the game.

I really don't think we have to worry too much

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Miyamoto is stuck in the past, gameplay alone is not as important as it was, during the NES, SNES, and N64 eras, and honestly, Miyamoto must not like strong female protagonists, how do you explain how Mario and Zelda revolve around a male protagonist (Mario and Link), saving either Peach or Zelda, in a cliché Damsel in Distress plot, the Damsel in Distress has been passé ever since the feminist movements in the 90's, I can name a few strong female protagonists, (Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Lightning, Tifa Lockheart, Jill Valentine, Ada Wong, Chun-Li, Jack from Mass Effect, Ellie from the Last of Us, Nariko, Lucina, Ava Brea, and there's more),

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Yeah, I don't really think that article really disconfirms anything, RandomCities, I just have more and more reason to believe that Krystal is getting recognition in the new title.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Miyamoto is stuck in the past, gameplay alone is not as important as it was, during the NES, SNES, and N64 eras, and honestly, Miyamoto must not like strong female protagonists, how do you explain how Mario and Zelda revolve around a male protagonist (Mario and Link), saving either Peach or Zelda, in a cliché Damsel in Distress plot, the Damsel in Distress has been passé ever since the feminist movements in the 90's, I can name a few strong female protagonists, (Samus Aran, Lara Croft, Lightning, Tifa Lockheart, Jill Valentine, Ada Wong, Chun-Li, Jack from Mass Effect, Ellie from the Last of Us, Nariko, Lucina, Ava Brea, and there's more),
But look at recent games, super mario 3D World is a good example from him. It dropped the idea of saving peach, adding her as well as rosalina as playable characters for the first time in a long time. There's also galaxy which introduced rosalina, one of the most powerful females nintendo has. The zelda series, while not entirely dropping it has made efforts to make zelda herself more important rather than just a damsel starting in ocarina of time with sheik and tetra in wind waker. And that's forgetting the other great female characters in the series like midna and impa

Another people forget is Brittany in pikmin 3, another central female character as well as the many female protagonists in the mario rpgs

Last edited:

Comorant

Smash Cadet

You do realize Miyamoto hasn't been the head behind Zelda or Mario in years right?

And that the last Zelda game he was heavily involved in was Ocarina of Time right? The one that made Zelda awesome by spawning Sheik and has Ganondorf defeated not by Link, but by the mostly female Seven Sages?

Or that the only Zelda game since then to have him directly work on it was Twilight Princess? The one that practically starred Midna, one of the most well written and well received characters in the history of the series?

And that the only Mario game he's really worked on in the past decade is Super Mario Galaxy? The one that introduced Rosalina and made her a staple of the series? The one he designed and wrote himself?

Miyamoto isn't some misogynistic old far out to eat your children, and if he cuts Krystal odds are its less to do with not wanting female characters around and more likely that he rather work with characters he's familiar with rather than attempting to tackle on this blue fox who's character has been manhandled from developer to developer. Heck nothing's been confirmed yet for all we know, he could be sticking to the original 4, bringing in characters more akin to Miyu and Fey from Star Fox 2, or reworking Krystal completely to clean up the mess of drama she became in Command and Assault.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
And that the only Mario game he's really worked on in the past decade is Super Mario Galaxy? The one that introduced Rosalina and made her a staple of the series? The one he designed and wrote himself?
While I loved Rosalina when I saw her in Galaxy. Her whole backstory crap had to be snuck in by another person cause Miyamoto didn't want that stuff in. So I mean yeah he's worked on some cool stuff he also wasn't the one directly responsible and sometime completely antagonistic to what is sweet choices.

It's not so much if he's a misogynist or not, it's just he keeps to an archetype so much it's just frustrating because he doesn't really branch out that much. Like being stuck in a rut which is a shame. Yeah he's a genious when it comes to making games with gameplay, but he just stays in a comfort zone too much when it comes to stories.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't really think that article really disconfirms anything, RandomCities, I just have more and more reason to believe that Krystal is getting recognition in the new title.
I never said that this disconfirms Krystal regarding Star Fox Wii U.

All I said is that it means that there most likely wont be any engaging storyline or character development in Star Fox Wii U. Miyamoto said he's focusing pretty much entirely on the gameplay this time around.

If Krystal is in it, she will probably remain the way she has been in the past games.

In my opinion, that's not the best way to handle her. But hey, I have no control over what Miyamoto does.

It's not so much if [Miyamoto's] a misogynist or not, it's just he keeps to an archetype so much it's just frustrating because he doesn't really branch out that much. Like being stuck in a rut which is a shame. Yeah he's a genious when it comes to making games with gameplay, but he just stays in a comfort zone too much when it comes to stories.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You do realize Miyamoto hasn't been the head behind Zelda or Mario in years right?

And that the last Zelda game he was heavily involved in was Ocarina of Time right? The one that made Zelda awesome by spawning Sheik and has Ganondorf defeated not by Link, but by the mostly female Seven Sages?

Or that the only Zelda game since then to have him directly work on it was Twilight Princess? The one that practically starred Midna, one of the most well written and well received characters in the history of the series?

Miyamoto isn't some misogynistic old far out to eat your children, and if he cuts Krystal odds are its less to do with not wanting female characters around and more likely that he rather work with characters he's familiar with rather than attempting to tackle on this blue fox who's character has been manhandled from developer to developer. Heck nothing's been confirmed yet for all we know, he could be sticking to the original 4, bringing in characters more akin to Miyu and Fey from Star Fox 2, or reworking Krystal completely to clean up the mess of drama she became in Command and Assault.
I never said that's why Krystal will be cut, what I meant by that is that Krystal has potential to be one of the stronger female characters Nintendo has, but her potential so far has been wasted, her character development has been eh at best, with Command she acted completely OOC, if Nintendo can do a strong female character like Samus Aran, they can make Krystal a strong female lead as well, most Mario games do rely on the same old cliché damsel in distress plot, there are some games that have branched out from that, but that's the main focus of the series, same with Zelda

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Miyamoto has never been required to be working directly on a game in order to influence it, and in some people's opinions, destroy it.

I mean, Miyamoto may have worked on Mario Galaxy, but he is not responsible for the story behind Rosalina or what she embodies. What makes her the character that she is had to be snuck in under his nose because of his ridiculous aversion towards stories in games.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was supposed to explore her character even further, but he made sure to promptly stamp that out before it even got a chance.
He's also responsible for Paper Mario: Sticker Star being an absolute disgrace compared to the rest of the PM series and he didn't even work on that game. The original vision that IS was working on for that game would have been more akin to PM:TTYD, until Miyamoto came and used his sticker scissors on it and cut all personality from the game in favor of gameplay gimmicks.
His reasoning? It was too much like TTYD and "nobody would want to play the same game" so lets just make it something that's barely even Paper Mario instead!
BTW, this coming from the guy who's made how many iterations of freaking New Super Mario Bros. now? Right.

There is a reason why people have negative views about Miyamoto's input on certain games in their franchises- and it's not just because hating Miyamoto is the "cool" thing to do.
The man is stuck in the NES era and still believes that the most important part of a game is having some sore of gimmicky gameplay to try and force it to stand out, and that having a deep and well written story, always ALWAYS takes a back seat to that.
Yes, gameplay is important- and he is really good at creating fun gameplay. -but it's not the only thing that crafts a memorable gaming experience. In fact, my favorite Mario games tend to be the RPG ones, because yeah while sidescrolling platform Mario games are good for mindless fun, it's the stories of the ones like Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario that have influenced my life and will stay dearly in my memories.
It's also the reason why for me, SMG absolutely trumps SMG2.

As far as Krystal goes, well- he's also the one who's responsible for what she currently is in the first place, so I'm not going to hold out much hope that he's going to give her some kind of special treatment in SF Wii U. If he didn't do it in Adventures, he isn't going to start now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom